• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

moop1167

SLI is fine Smokey, actually the latest Nvidia Beta drivers have a profile for this game. Not sure how it plays without Vsync and a controller. It plays fine with Vsync on with the controller. Why would you play without V-Sync though? I am at a rock steady 60fps with 32xcsaa, 8xsupersample, 16xAF, Triple Buffering and V-Sync. I think I saw fraps hit 59 once, but other than that solid 60fps.

Also, the load times that had a bug with V-Sync seem to be gone. Load times are almost instant when going into/out of buildings.

Unfortunately, no improvements with the LOD/POP-In with the game. I kind of already knew it would not be improved, but if there is one thing taking away from the game it is the LOD/Pop-in issues. Mainly because it is so close to the characters view..but outside of that, it has been fucking fantastic. Like any game, there are things that are issues, but after 4 hours or so, I am really digging it.

Can you post your inspector settings? What compatibility mode are you using for AA? Does it interfere with the AA from the post-processing in the game?

Mr Jared

Hey all. Over at TwitchTV we're having a massive community-wide launch event for Kingdoms of Amalur, hosted by Day9 of StarCraft fame. You can check out all the streams here-

http://www.twitch.tv/team/reckoning/

There's a full schedule of events as well, including prize giveaways, interviews with Curt Schilling, Todd McFarlane, R.A. Salvatore and other special events-

http://reckoning.amalur.com/dayofreckoning

It officially kicks off at 5PM EST but as I type this, TotalBiscuit and djWHEAT are now live with their own sessions. Do check it out if you're like me and you're interested in the game from all the positive buzz but not 100% ready to pull the trigger.

Because I am totally buried in games from 2011 still

Derrick01

Banned
Glad I preordered it. At gamestop they only had a couple spare 360 copies and no spare ps3 copies (spare meaning non-preorder copies).

Currently still making my way through the extremely boring tutorial again. Doing this again makes me wish I never tried the demo as I would only have to experience this once. Game seems to run fairly well on PS3, but the blu ray drive makes a ton of noise and frequently too. Also noticed some pretty big framerate drops so far, usually during big things like rocks falling onto people. Sound seems to be delayed a lot too. Like people would scream 5 seconds after they were killed already.

f0rk

Hey all. Over at TwitchTV we're having a massive community-wide launch event for Kingdoms of Amalur, hosted by Day9 of StarCraft fame. You can check out all the streams here-

http://www.twitch.tv/team/reckoning/

There's a full schedule of events as well, including prize giveaways, interviews with Curt Schilling, Todd McFarlane, R.A. Salvatore and other special events-

http://reckoning.amalur.com/dayofreckoning

It officially kicks off at 5PM EST but as I type this, TotalBiscuit and djWHEAT are now live with their own sessions. Do check it out if you're like me and you're interested in the game from all the positive buzz but not 100% ready to pull the trigger.

Because I am totally buried in games from 2011 still

Not sure how I feel about this marketing tactic. It's cool and quite forward thinking that they are reaching out to streamers but at the same time it's so blatantly manufactured I can't take any of the streams seriously.

Somnia

Glad I preordered it. At gamestop they only had a couple spare 360 copies and no spare ps3 copies (spare meaning non-preorder copies).

Currently still making my way through the extremely boring tutorial again. Doing this again makes me wish I never tried the demo as I would only have to experience this once. Game seems to run fairly well on PS3, but the blu ray drive makes a ton of noise and frequently too. Also noticed some pretty big framerate drops so far, usually during big things like rocks falling onto people. Sound seems to be delayed a lot too. Like people would scream 5 seconds after they were killed already.

Yep same thing at my store, 0 extra copies on either system and only 1 extra on pc.

ParityBit

Not sure how I feel about this marketing tactic. It's cool and quite forward thinking that they are reaching out to streamers but at the same time it's so blatantly manufactured I can't take any of the streams seriously.

This makes no sense. This is the best way to know what the game is like. Your seeing it played, harder levels. Not like they can say "Graphics have no pops!" when your watching it being played live. This thread alone has had many people sold on the game after watching live streams.

I was sold on the buggy demo, but I know people here were turned off by it. Until they watched the streams

Hawk269

Can you post your inspector settings? What compatibility mode are you using for AA? Does it interfere with the AA from the post-processing in the game?

Right now just going through the driver level to force all the stuff. Was going to play around with inspector today.

chifanpoe

so..

any word now that its out on 360 vs PS3

I hate to be that guy and I am not trying to start anything I just want to know what version I should get.

IGN had a little note that the 360 had more pop-in than the PS3 build. That is all I have seen. Also that you need to play it installed on the 360 HDD to get the most out of it.

Dresden

Well, went ahead and bought it. I went to the local Toys R Us and after talking to the manager there I got the game for 44.99 (the deal was online-only).

You don't need an Origin account to get the House of the Valor thing working, right? Just the code?

Lol, its so funny to watch Tobi and Soe live stream this game. Soe is blaming the controller for her being killed so much and tobi is screaming like a little girl constantly over the bosses and new abilities/loot he gets.

Loxley

I'm contemplating playing on Hard, since most of the impressions and reviews mention that the game is absurdly easy towards the end because of how powerful your character becomes.

JambiBum

I need a place to store all of my stuff so badly. The preorder stuff you get takes up almost all of your inventory space right at the beginning. You can't put it back into the chest you get it from and it has a gold value of 0 so there is no point in selling it.

Kifimbo

I need a place to store all of my stuff so badly. The preorder stuff you get takes up almost all of your inventory space right at the beginning. You can't put it back into the chest you get it from and it has a gold value of 0 so there is no point in selling it.

Yeah, you have to reach Canneroc and complete a sidequest to get your first stash.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Just returned home with the PS3 version.

Liked the demo, despite its bugs, quite a lot... hopefully the retail game will be good. Kind of a blind buy, so we'll see how it goes.

dokish

Banned
Someone knows if this is a bug or if there is actually something under those rocks?

The Sidhe (awesome region! go visit it guys!)

bbb2.jpg

bbb1.jpg

Hawk269

Enter the code in origin then the first town has a chest outside with your items

Is it in the special deliveries chest? If so, I did not get anything...I have the Steam copy so not sure what the hell it going on unless it is a different chest. I am in teh first town with the fae person that was attacked and she is laying on the ground moaning all the time. The chest is here right?

JambiBum

It isn't a bug, if you have the detect hidden skill high enough then rocks/stumps/etc. will have loot hidden inside of them.

Zeth

Am I goin to miss out on good stuff without a preorder? I really hate that. And I refuse to even attempt to buy from GameStop on launch day, without fail the clerk will make a nasty comment about not preordering or it'll be sold out anyway.

moop1167

Is it in the special deliveries chest? If so, I did not get anything...I have the Steam copy so not sure what the hell it going on unless it is a different chest. I am in teh first town with the fae person that was attacked and she is laying on the ground moaning all the time. The chest is here right?

Steam copy doesn't have any pre-order items.

JambiBum

Am I goin to miss out on good stuff without a preorder? I really hate that. And I refuse to even attempt to buy from GameStop on launch day, without fail the clerk will make a nasty comment about not preordering or it'll be sold out anyway.

Not really. The items you get are nice but you will eventually find better items later on.

Speaking of which, when you have a set of something, is there an easy way to tell what having the complete set does?

chifanpoe

Not really. The items you get are nice but you will eventually find better items later on.

Speaking of which, when you have a set of something, is there an easy way to tell what having the complete set does?

I think at the bottom of the item description there is an accumulative bonus when you have the full x/x in the set.

The IGN guys where showing it when they had the live streaming going.

Is the a way to look at your map and see all the quest markers at once? It's hard to decide what quests to do when you have so many open, knowing where they are would make deciding easier.

shaowebb

Anyone else here enjoying alchemy and making potions? I love the ability to just throw reagents together at random to try and discover new recipes. Last night I discovered a "Flesh Eater" potion that lets you consume health from enemies. :D

Also I'm loving being a rogue with a bow skill thats so high.
*Dodge!*
SHOOT! SHOOT!SHOOT!SHOOT!SHOOT!
*dead*

Feels good man. All my stuff is designed to force open mobs of enemies and pick em off. Got my ice blades to stun so I can dodge after a hit and my arrows do electric. Not as good as the static fire/electric bow I'm after that causes knockdown but a start. Just wait until I start flooding my poison stat alongside of my arrow stats. Its not too easy to pin me down right now, you suffer status effects for trying and I've barely started. Pure zoning rogue baby. Nail it all down in your house because if you haven't I likely already own it.

Might=1/Finesse=7/Sorcery=1

Also detect hidden? AWESOME. I dumped everything into it so far and every two steps I detect a hidden loot stash filled with goodies. At this rate I should invest more in my alchemy/blacksmithing to keep up with the ingredients I find that are worth a ton :D

Zeth

I don't have time to play this til the weekend yet I'm dying to go pick it up today. Doesn't look like there are any brick n mortar deals? guess I'll just go to Best Buy.

Hawk269

Steam copy doesn't have any pre-order items.

I was referring to the items you get if you played the demo and day 1 dlc. For some reason and it is fucking retarded, when you load the PC game it says it is connecting to the ea servers and authenticating. It does this rather quick, but I assumed I was connected to the ea servers.

When I went to the chest it was empty, so I backed out and went to options. There was a "online" option so I hit that, entered my email/password and it logged be into the EA servers, which I assumed it already did. Anyways, when I go to the same chest I now had a complete set of "Shepard" armor which is pretty bad ass and new weopons.

Question still remains...how do you know if you have the Day 1 DLC? Am I correct in saying that it is a new quest or a line of quests?

Hawk269

I don't have time to play this til the weekend yet I'm dying to go pick it up today. Doesn't look like there are any brick n mortar deals? guess I'll just go to Best Buy.

Go to best buy, have them go to Toysrus.com and price match the game. TRU has it for 44.99 online.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Go to options before you load your game up, and connect it online. Problem solved.

moop1167

I was referring to the items you get if you played the demo and day 1 dlc. For some reason and it is fucking retarded, when you load the PC game it says it is connecting to the ea servers and authenticating. It does this rather quick, but I assumed I was connected to the ea servers.

When I went to the chest it was empty, so I backed out and went to options. There was a "online" option so I hit that, entered my email/password and it logged be into the EA servers, which I assumed it already did. Anyways, when I go to the same chest I now had a complete set of "Shepard" armor which is pretty bad ass and new weopons.

Question still remains...how do you know if you have the Day 1 DLC? Am I correct in saying that it is a new quest or a line of quests?

Oh okay, thanks. I misunderstood. This is good to know though, because I would have most likely missed it as well.

IGN had a little note that the 360 had more pop-in than the PS3 build. That is all I have seen. Also that you need to play it installed on the 360 HDD to get the most out of it.

Alright, so I played the shit outa the PS3 and 360 demos. Both had pop-in. Each had it pretty bad. The PS3 demo looked cleaner/clearer/sharper but had framerate issues since it wasn't capped. The 360 demo was blurry and the cut scenes looked like shit. I would believe the PS3 demo was 720p but not the 360 version. I just played all the way through the tutorial of the retail 360 game and did some quests on the outside and its every bit as good as I thought the PS3 demo looked. Not sure what they did to f*** up the look of the demo, but this is greatly improved over that. The framerate of the 360 demo wasn't bad but this seems to be even better on top of also looking better. If the PS3 version looks the same as its demo but with a capped framerate then I can safely say just go with the version whose controller you prefer. For me that's the 360. I'm very happy with how the final turned out compared to the demo.

charsace

Nope. It's more like World of Warcraft where each zone has enemy levels and as you progress through the world you're greeted by higher level enemies. You can go wherever you want, but be prepared to face enemies you can't beat.

What are the towns and NPC's like? Anything like skyrim?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This camera is still a piece of shit.

I read what the devs have said about it, but they are just completely wrong. It's incredibly annoying. And would be rather easy to fix.

Otherwise... I'm really happy with the game so far.

For those wondering about your demo unlocks and items for buying it new (on console), as you approach the first little town you'll get a notice of a new quest. That quest leads you to the box with all of your items in it.

Top Bottom