• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Alright, so I played the shit outa the PS3 and 360 demos. Both had pop-in. Each had it pretty bad. The PS3 demo looked cleaner/clearer/sharper but had framerate issues since it wasn't capped. The 360 demo was blurry and the cut scenes looked like shit. I would believe the PS3 demo was 720p but not the 360 version. I just played all the way through the tutorial of the retail 360 game and did some quests on the outside and its every bit as good as I thought the PS3 demo looked. Not sure what they did to f*** up the look of the demo, but this is greatly improved over that. The framerate of the 360 demo wasn't bad but this seems to be even better on top of also looking better. If the PS3 version looks the same as its demo but with a capped framerate then I can safely say just go with the version whose controller you prefer. For me that's the 360. I'm very happy with how the final turned out compared to the demo.

thank you for this.

Hawk269

Just got my first crash to desktop. Was playing and all of a sudden was on the desktop with a message that the game had stopped working. Hope this is not a bad sign...loving the game so far.

oktarb

I think I've just proven I'm an idiot. I truly wanted to buy the Steam version of the game but the pre-order bonuses of Amazon called to me. I wanted to support Steam and 38 but Steam just offered ass-hats. Amazon had weapons, destiny cards and crab sandwiches! So I went with the Amazon version.

After plying last night briefly I found all the bonus weapons, Sheppard's Armor all very quickly. Suddenly I wished I didn't have this gear. I felt over powered, chests lost the glimmer. I knew what lay withing - a green piece of gear that wouldn't come close to my currently equipped weapon.

I know that I'll outgrow this bonus content but it sure has made the beginning less fun.

Nista

Not sure how I feel about this marketing tactic. It's cool and quite forward thinking that they are reaching out to streamers but at the same time it's so blatantly manufactured I can't take any of the streams seriously.

Totalbiscuit at least has very strong likes and dislikes about the game as he plays. Doesn't feel manufactured at all.

Derrick01

Banned
SMH, the EDGE and G4TV scores bump this game down from 84% to 80% metacritic score.

I think Edge are the ones who always give "low" scores to wrpgs though. I forget the list that someone linked here but lots of all time classics received scores ranging from 5-7. They just don't get wrpgs.

Hawk269

Just got my first crash to desktop. Was playing and all of a sudden was on the desktop with a message that the game had stopped working. Hope this is not a bad sign...loving the game so far.

Just crashed to desktop again. Same thing, it says game stopped working....fuck!!!!!!!!

raiot

Is there any stats screen to check all my stats(Mitigation, crit,...)? Haven't found any in the demo... Or am I just blind?:)

Derrick01

Banned
Anyone have the PS3 version?

Yes. It seems to play well enough. I had some minor framerate dips and sound delays in the tutorial but I'll need more time to see if it was just a fluke. I only ran around outside the tutorial dungeon for a few minutes.

raiot said:
Is there any stats screen to check all my stats(Mitigation, crit,...)?

I'm wondering this too. I found the stat screen but it lists what I've done and stuff like that. I want to check my overall current stats.

Hawk269

Just crashed to desktop again. Same thing, it says game stopped working....fuck!!!!!!!!

Crash number 3...this is weird. I played last night for 3 hours, not a single glitch. The only difference now, is that I logged into the EA Servers. Going to reboot and try again, but not log into the EA servers.

RPGCrazied

Yes. It seems to play well enough. I had some minor framerate dips and sound delays in the tutorial but I'll need more time to see if it was just a fluke. I only ran around outside the tutorial dungeon for a few minutes.

Finally someone answers. Do you notice texture pop in? Does the sound not cut out like the demo?

Derrick01

Banned
Finally someone answers. Do you notice texture pop in? Does the sound not cut out like the demo?

I just ran around outside the tutorial area for a few minutes but I didn't notice any pop-in. Actually I would say it ran better in that surrounding outdoor area than it did in the tutorial area, but I'll have to run around more.

There were some sound issues in the tutorial area, mostly delays. There were a couple instances where sound would come in a few seconds after the action but I haven't noticed it yet outside.

RPGCrazied

Oh ok. The pop-in in the demo was pretty bad. I mostly mean the outside area, with the trees and bushes and other foliage just magically appearing as you walk.

Manac0r

Combat = Good

Story = OK

Art = Subjective

Time away from Skyrim = Priceless

For everything else there's Steam....

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
3 more days :S
Only 3 more days .. hold me.

image.php

Rad Agast

Picked this up for 360 today but didn't have time to play it at all yet. I am disappointed with regard to the packaging. I was looking forward to read through the game manual before going to bed but wtf? where is the manual? (regular edition). Why the fuck don't I get a manual for buying new? Online pass you say? who gives a fuck about an online pass for a single player game?

Seriously, who heard of an rpg that doesn't come with a game manual? Fuck you and your project 10 dollar EA.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It was jarring. I still want to play it, but I'll wait for some price drops. Thanks for answering guys.

Pop-in seems like a weird reason to wait on a game, but to each their own.

Picked this up for 360 today but didn't have time to play it at all yet. I am disappointed with regard to the packaging. I was looking forward to read through the game manual before going to bed but wtf? where is the manual? (regular edition). Why the fuck don't I get a manual for buying new? Online pass you say? who gives a fuck about an online pass for a single player game?

Seriously, who heard of an rpg that doesn't come with a game manual? Fuck you and your project 10 dollar EA.

The manual is in the game.

I feel your pain, though. I love manuals.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

Its a trend that just about all companies these days are following. A flimsy 1-3 page black and white manual with little to no meaningful content. The last few games ive picked up have been like this. A terrible trend if you ask me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Its a trend that just about all companies these days are following. A flimsy 1-3 page black and white manual with little to no meaningful content. The last few games ive picked up have been like this. A terrible trend if you ask me.

Not all companies. Just the big ones.

Rad Agast

The manual is in the game.

I feel your pain, though. I love manuals.

But I haven't had any free time today to even install/start the game. I want some thing to read. This doesn't make sense at all since the packaging has this "from the mind of R.A. Salvatore" on the damned thing. Can't I enjoy reading some background information about this "world" he created?

/Misses the Working Designs days.

Yes it's terrible. I was really looking forward to playing this but there is literally no manual in the packaging. Not even one fucking page. This is bullshit.

Sylonious

I think Edge are the ones who always give "low" scores to wrpgs though. I forget the list that someone linked here but lots of all time classics received scores ranging from 5-7. They just don't get wrpgs.

SMH, just to put things in perspective G4TV gave FF:XIII a 4/5 and Two Worlds 2 a 3/5. I doubt this game will be a G4TV GOTY contender.

G4TV said:
Tune in tonight at 6:30PM ET on X-Play as we get ready for tomorrow's Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning launch with an exclusive sit down with 38 Studios' Curt Schilling. We'll also weigh in on Final Fantasy XIII-2, get an exclusive preview of Spec Ops: The Line, and take a look at Xbox co-inventor Seamus Blackley's new foray into the mobile gaming sphere. Full show details below:

Obviously, this was taped right before the Review embargo was lifted. It will be funny watching Sessler pretend to be excited for this game while knowing his review was going to be EXTREMELY negative. ROFL
Adam Sessler said:
That rollout by stages may attract gamers, says Adam Sessler, host of X-Play on G4 TV.

"The decision to have Amalur be a multifaceted game and franchise is ambitious, but very understanding of the economic realities of the game industry," he says. "If you want (online multiplayers) to invest time and money … you need them to be already interested and comfortable with the product, like Star Wars" in BioWare's new Star Wars:The Old Republic. - Soruce

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Total Biscuit just totally blew up the game. xD The ui mostly and not being able to get into the lore.

I have no issues getting engaged with the game. The ui and weapon swapping is a pain though.

anddo0

TotalBiscuit is not digging this at all. He doesn't think it's terrible. But the flaws make this game sound very underwhelming.

anddo0

Yea after playing for 5 hours he seams to not care for for some parts of the game. He should just starting handing out free copies and be done with it.

He's been giving them out for a few hours now. I've seen enough to know this is a bargain bin purchase for sure.

my collector's edition just arrived.. OMG...

It needed 2 whole boxes to contain the awesomeness.

If there's interest, I'll post some pictures..

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Total biscuit with the I give the game a 5/10 after playing it for 5 hours, "I can't get engaged the npcs are boring" "IGN is probably corrupt or don't know anything about video games" "I'm using the full review scale, not IGN's where a 6 is the worst trash in the world, I'm saying the game is average not terrible."

Einbroch

Banned
Total biscuit with the I give the game a 5/10 after playing it for 5 hours, "I can't get engaged the npcs are boring" "IGN is probably corrupt or don't know anything about video games" "I'm using the full review scale, not IGN's where a 6 is the worst trash in the world, I'm saying the game is average not terrible."

Yet he loves WoW.

I like watching his videos, but I don't really trust his opinions on games. Not saying that this game is amazing and "omg how could he", but it's the same with Giantbomb and certain genres.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yet he loves WoW.

I like watching his videos, but I don't really trust his opinions on games. Not saying that this game is amazing and "omg how could he", but it's the same with Giantbomb and certain genres.

Well he likes the art style and the combat, he just hates the npc's also he hates how easy it is "on hard"

anddo0

Yet he loves WoW.

His opinion was based on SP games. He said even Star Wars had more intriguing npcs.

Hawk269

Crash number 3...this is weird. I played last night for 3 hours, not a single glitch. The only difference now, is that I logged into the EA Servers. Going to reboot and try again, but not log into the EA servers.

The crashes are tied into logging into the EA Servers via the menu option "Online". I played 3 hours with no crashes...then I say the option in the menu to connect "online" since I did not receive any of the items from playing the demo. Within 10 minutes of hitting the option to go online in the menu, the game crashes to desktop stating that it stopped working.

I re-launch the game, log into the EA servers and again within 10 minutes it crashes to desktop. I decide to turn off any over-rides I had set via driver, but since I played 3 hours straight with those settings I figured it wasnt that. So, I test it anyways, log in, connect to the EA servers and once again it crashes to desktop.

Onto my fourth try, this time without logging into the EA Servers and NO CRASHES. Just got done doing 2 Side quests, looted a cave and turned in my quests and solid as a rock. So it seems that theere is an issue with the game and connect to the EA servers from within the game. I am playing the Steam version btw.

Top Bottom