• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Einbroch

Banned
His opinion was based on SP games. He said even Star Wars had more intriguing npcs.

Did he think Skyrim had interesting NPCs? Because I can't recall any NPCs from that game outside of the Greybeard dude and the dragon. WRPGs in general aren't known for their interesting NPCs, are they?

His opinion was based on SP games. He said even Star Wars had more intriguing npcs.

something is very fish with this.

TOR Npc's are terribad!

I understand if someone is in the game for the story telling being let down but this game seems much more like a hack and slash loot fest.

the next dungeon and the next chest is what drives me.

the story is just icing.

Einbroch

Banned
Yes he did, in general he said the sidequest felt better and drove him more.

Oh definitely. The side quests in this game are slightly fleshed out "Misc Quests" from Skyrim: aka not very good. Faction quests (only done one so far) are much better than the side quests

Risible

Presumably they have opinions and those opinions don't line up with yours.

Yeah, but c'mon, giving it a 6 is ridiculous. I can't see how someone could love Skyrim and then give Amalur a 6, I really can't.

I really didn't like Skyrim - it was buggy and boring to me. However, I can still see its merits, and certainly wouldn't give it a 6.

Khezu

Ugh won't be able to get the game for a couple days.

Probably going to take jeffs advice from GB and not do many side quests, just stick to the main and faction quests. I did like everything I could in skyrim and it made me hate that game, well that and a few other glaring problems.

chifanpoe

Yeah, but c'mon, giving it a 6 is ridiculous. I can't see how someone could love Skyrim and then give Amalur a 6, I really can't.

I really didn't like Skyrim - it was buggy and boring to me. However, I can still see its merits, and certainly wouldn't give it a 6.

I agree, after 2x hours of Skyrim I got tired of it but I would not give it a 6 out of 10.

Einbroch

Banned
Ugh won't be able to get the game for a couple days.

Probably going to take jeffs advice from GB and not do many side quests, just stick to the main and faction quests. I did like everything I could in skyrim and it made me hate that game, well that and a few other glaring problems.

I just do side quests until the area I'm in turns grey, then I move on.

Hari Seldon

What is the modding potential of this game? I am probably going to wait until I see an active modding scene before I pick this up.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
TotalBiscuit is a cool dude.

I normally just watch him to get mad at stuff and see how the game works, I never really listen to his opinion cause honestly, he's pretty bad at games in general. But I love that he shows stuff off so much so I just think of them as casual previews.

Loxley

Yet he loves WoW.

I like watching his videos, but I don't really trust his opinions on games. Not saying that this game is amazing and "omg how could he", but it's the same with Giantbomb and certain genres.

Well, he used to like WoW. These days whenever the subject comes up he spends most of his time shitting on Blizzard and patronizing those who still play WoW. He doesn't really hide the fact that he clearly holds some sort of weird grudge against Blizzard for the direction they chose to "take WoW" in.

I honestly don't understand why people hold his opinions in such high regard considering he's not a veteran games reviewer along the lines of Gerstmann or Jeff Green. There are things I do like about his videos, the production quality and effort he puts into them are stellar. Also, his coverage of events like Dreamhack are great since they're often ignored by the bigger game-press sites, and does bring attention to lots of indie titles on the PC.

...but he's got such a stick up his ass about PC games as a whole (he often-times refuses to play anything at less than 60 FPS) that I tend to ignore a lot of his videos where he talks about console games.

Unfortunately, he's one of those YouTube personalities that has a following that take his word as gospel when it comes games reviews for some reason.

Einbroch

Banned
I normally just watch him to get mad at stuff and see how the game works, I never really listen to his opinion cause honestly, he's pretty bad at games in general. But I love that he shows stuff off so much so I just think of them as casual previews.

Exactly. He's an interesting guy and his videos are very entertaining, but whenever he makes judgments about games they go in one ear and out the other.

What is the max level in this game, by the way?

Hawk269

Wow...Just wow at this game. I have not done a main quest yet other than getting out of the tutorial and activating the first main quest...but I have been farting around in the world, talking to every NPC etc. I did do a sidequest that was pretty fleshed out and I really think that if people dont do the side-quests there is alot of game they are going to miss out on.

Not only did I do this pretty good sized side quest just now, it opened up 2 additional side quests as well. It is rare for a side quest to be a little long, but for it to also open up 2 additional side quests upon completion is pretty fucking great. Again, this could not have happened without exploring and talking with NPC's.

I am also extremly impressed with all the little details in the enviroments, how well fleshed out even houses are and some of them are pretty big with upstairs and basements. It is impressive.

One more thing, additional things happen while you are away. This is not a SPOILER so dont worry, but in the first town there is a small cemetary and on the ground I found two scrolls that I read. No big deal, just a little touch that a NPC are leaving notes for people that have died. I go on my merry way, do the side quests that I listed above and I look over and noticed another scroll at the cemetary. My first thought is..how fucking sloppy, scrolls are respawning...but curiosity and being a completionist makes me go over there. As I enter the cemetary I notice it is only 1 scroll and I thought to myself that is a weird re-spawn, only 1 of the 2 respawned. So I go and pick it up thinking it is just a repeat and low and behold it is a completly new scroll some NPC had left...totally different story written on it as well.

It is little things like that that make me really fucking enjoy this game. It is like Curt said, they hand crafted every part of the game. Part of me wants to stand near the cemetary to see if a NPC actually delivers more notes to the grave site.

Lastly cause I am a dick...FUCKING POPIN AND LOD!!!! Game is running at 1080p/60fps ROCK SOLID, looks great, plays great but the LOD/POPIN is just plain bad! Okay, got that out of my system now back to the game!

Khezu

Speaking of jeff he gave it a 4.

He seemed pretty down on it in the quick look though, but I guess he was just really burned out on it.

Just traded in a buttload of games and a DS. That plus PowerUp coupon for $25 off any one item and I basically had enough to buy this and ME3. Awesome.

KoA installed, online pass code redeemed. Will be firing it up later tonight.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
A little preview of the perk of being a universalist.

53520C92D6A1ABBD0241040ABF55A805A471582C

Now Imagine 2 more green slots on everything else :3

Here's a picture of the prismere troll figure..

8E0ZH.jpg

Figure comes in three pieces. the base, the troll himself and his club.

He slots perfectly into the base and the club slots perfectly into his hand. It's completely solid all the way through.. not a thing about it feels cheap.

Very high quality figure by my estimation... mine is 483/1600

Einbroch

Banned
I take back what I said about the game being easy.

After you get the first twist of fate card from the main quest, the next area really starts getting challenging.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

After you get the first twist of fate card from the main quest, the next area really starts getting challenging.

You will get two shotted by some bosses/minibosses :p Oh and I refuse to waste money on potions. Saving that shit for skills

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone know which shader setting is best. simple or standard?

I'm about to try standard but the default simple setting looks good to me already.

mxgt

Banned
If this game could make me care about the quests or the world then it'd be great. I enjoy the gameplay, but I agree with TB with the quests and lore. Maybe it gets better later, who knows.

Combat feels great with M/KB which is always nice. Shame you can't fix the FOV
yet

goober

For those of you who played both the demo and retail on PC, does it run smoother on retail?

From the options people mentioned, it seems there's more room to improve performance.

edit: I'd like to know cause I got ~45fps on the demo with most settings on high. Played on my laptop.

scy

A little preview of the perk of being a universalist.

Now Imagine 2 more green slots on everything else :3

I'm still looking but it appears that you might be able to buy 3 or 4 free skill points per skill. Looks like Universalist should be able to max everything.

For the record, I've actually seen Dispelling dialogue options so some of them have other benefits to them.

Some of the larger regular enemies don't mess around at all.

Risible

His other title is, "The Cynical Brit" so uhh yeah.

I'm starting to get really tired of the whole "cynical/bored game reviewer" schtick.

Why are you still playing if everything sucks to you? Maybe it's time you moved on.

That's one of the reasons I love Vinny and Brad from GiantBomb. They both still have that love of games, and Vinny in particular seems like he's always trying to give things a chance.

I'm older than all of those guys by a wide margin and have been playing games since I was in my teens, and I still have my sense of wonder intact. Games today are amazing...how on earth anyone can think otherwise baffles me.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm still looking but it appears that you might be able to buy 3 or 4 free skill points per skill. Looks like Universalist should be able to max everything.

For the record, I've actually seen Dispelling dialogue options so some of them have other benefits to them.

Yeah, I love the "skill" abuse universalist are going to get. Sure i wont be super fancy and shit. But I'll have everything and do everything.

chifanpoe

I'm starting to get really tired of the whole "cynical/bored game reviewer" schtick.

Why are you still playing if everything sucks to you? Maybe it's time you moved on.

That's one of the reasons I love Vinny and Brad from GiantBomb. They both still have that love of games, and Vinny in particular seems like he's always trying to give things a chance.

I'm older than all of those guys by a wide margin and have been playing games since I was in my teens, and I still have my sense of wonder intact. Games today are amazing...how on earth anyone can think otherwise baffles me.

This! I am starting to climb up the older gamer ladder (34 years) and am still amazed at new games all the time.

shaowebb

Yeah, I love the "skill" abuse universalist are going to get. Sure i wont be super fancy and shit. But I'll have everything and do everything.

That Detect Hidden sure is a sexy perk isn't Q :D
Im low level and loaded with goodies! Anything might or sorcery I don't need I throw on the blacksmith table in hopes of getting good shit for traps, bows, daggers, or faeblades. Only time I'm dipping outside of Rogue in this game is to get the harpoon from might, the healing, and spells from sorcery. Thats it. Daddy gonna rain them arrows and have more area spread status dickery than anyone should deal with.

scy

So whats peoples consensus so far? worth the $60 so far?

still on the fence.

It's been a blast. I'm not having the issues that others report of trouble getting into the stories or quests but I guess it doesn't take much for me to "care" about them. I'm perfectly satisfied with the $60 for it.

@Blacksmithing: While core components come from the weapon/armor type you want to make, the other parts come from several different ones. You're better off disassembling equipment that you want to make and then any equipment with an effect on it that you want.

Is there a reason for playing on "Hard" other than the mobs being more challenging?

Such as...do I get more XP per kill?

Is there an achievement/trophy?

scy

On the final quest for one of the factions and I just noticed one of the rewards from a previous quest: A +1 Skills (along with other stuff) Shield! Dang, that was sitting there for so long :|

Is there a reason for playing on "Hard" other than the mobs being more challenging?

Such as...do I get more XP per kill?

Is there an achievement/trophy?

Same loot quality and quantity, same EXP. There's achievements attached to difficulty, however. Plus it's more fun.

smr00

Banned
I'm enjoying the hell out of it, but then again I gave darksiders my game of the year.
You just sold me on it, clearly we have the same taste.

Leaving to go pick it up on BB in a few, any recommendations on what system? Does it play better on either? i know a lot of the time PS3 gets the shaft on performance rather it be minimal or a lot.

Wallach

I think reviews like G4 and Edge gave it such a bad review because they are upset that another media outlet had an exclusive.

Seems like a weird thing to believe, but okay.

Edge pretty routinely dumps on WRPGs, more than one of their reviewers dislikes them.

Same loot quality and quantity, same EXP. There's achievements attached to difficulty, however. Plus it's more fun.

Thanks man. I agree, it definitely is more fun. :)

I've been stuck at 2 hit points left and no healing potions and I've been getting mauled by this bear about five times in a row. Shortly after I posted this, a message popped on screen asking me if I'd like to turn it to NORMAL. It told me that it would exclude me from some achievements though.

:D

Thanks for caring Curt...but I'll tough it out. ;)

Top Bottom