• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

moop1167

Really?

Hmmmmmmmm.............................

If I go for pure mage build, meaning all skills invested in the Sorcery tree with no points spent in any other tree (also all the sorcery destiny lines), will I have problems down the road?

See, I am sort of OCD freak when it comes to this sort of stuff... Most of the times I much prefer go to the 'pure' routes (pure warrior, pure rogue, pour mage) instead of the hybrids.

Don't ask me, I just read it somewhere. I have no clue!

Restarted from every save and autosave and reckoning mode still wont allow me to press the proper button and earn extra XP. 6 hours down the fucking drain

Wallach

Staff and chakram is a fine combo. Staff is slower but had a different AoE pattern (more of an AoE cone compared to the chakram which has twin arcing lines), and you can cancel out of chakram strings into staff vortex (which is amazing). I haven't been using sceptres much, but I haven't put any points into sceptre mastery either.

Really?

Hmmmmmmmm.............................

If I go for pure mage build, meaning all skills invested in the Sorcery tree with no points spent in any other tree (also all the sorcery destiny lines), will I have problems down the road?

See, I am sort of OCD freak when it comes to this sort of stuff... Most of the times I much prefer go to the 'pure' routes (pure warrior, pure rogue, pure mage) instead of the hybrids.

You'll be fine I'm sure. You will be a bad ass wizard with all the strongest spells.

My character is an ice sorceress who uses chakrams and a big hammer. She's gonna have all her points in the ice spells and the rest in the weaps. I also chose the ice god for the 6% ice dmg boost

dokish

Banned
Town of Galette, from a woman leaning against a building.

I've tried reloading, attacking her and running away, turning on and off my console. Nothing works. She just stands there. Then when I leave, it says "You cannot fast travel from here".

Where is this? I can't find it.

Gattsu25

Banned
My character:

bbpYh.png

Grinchy

Banned
You guys don't like Staff/Sceptre for a sorcery build? I've been liking it. The sceptre is good for getting some long range hits, if they get close go with staff, use magic in between. Seems like a nice mix to me so far.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I probably shouldn't spoil it for myself but I just can't help but to ask:

Does your actions/decisions in the game can affect the game world? Like in quests or in general terms like being a goody-goody two shoes will make the game world react to you differently compared to if you're acting like a crazy sociopath or somesuch (Skyrim was very disappointing in this regard.)

Also, can the player character get involved in a romance with NPC?

Dead

well not really...yet
Holy crap

Just got ganged up on by like a dozen monsters. Bears, wolves, boggarts, big purple wolf things, all at once. Shit was so hectic they even started to fight each other since they all couldn't get a piece of me, LOL

Rokam

I probably shouldn't spoil it for myself but I just can't help but to ask:

Does your actions/decisions in the game can affect the game world? Like in quests or in general terms like being a goody-goody two shoes will make the game world react to you differently compared to if you're acting like a crazy sociopath or somesuch (Skyrim was very disappointing in this regard.)

Also, can the player character get involved in a romance with NPC?

I'm going to assume so because just walking by npcs they reference quests I've completed or things I've killed. Not sure about the romance though.

matmanx1

Great game! I'm only a couple of hours in but I'm really enjoying myself so far. I have found one strange crash bug on the PC that only seems to occur if I go into my quest log and choose to set the Warsworn Commendation quest as active. Without fail I will get the "this application has stopped working" within a couple of seconds after closing out of the menu screen and back into the game itself.

Other than that I'm really pleased by the performance!

T Dollarz

How long will it be before we see a sale with this at $40 or so? Not sure if I wanna pick this up yet considering I still have so many games (Demon's Souls and Skyrim in the same genre) still in my backlog and Mass Effect 3 on the horizon.

Contemplating returning the game to Amazon and telling EA/BHG to f*** off. After dealing with Skyrim I have zero desire to play anymore games with game-breaking bugs like this one appears to have.

can you get a little faster atk speed hammers and other big slow weaps? or do they always atk really slow

Contemplating returning the game to Amazon and telling EA/BHG to f*** off. After dealing with Skyrim I have zero desire to play anymore games with game-breaking bugs like this one appears to have.
huh?

legbone

well, i guess no one else had trouble getting their dlc. guess i just got ripped off for $3. that'll teach me for trying to buy day one dlc. fuck you amalur. thieving pricks.

After playing about 6-8 hours Reckoning mode just all of a sudden stopped working. Reloaded every auto save and manual save and it doesn't work in those either except for the save right after the tutorial ended. So in order to be able to use Reckoning mode again I have to start the entire game over and then I'm not guaranteed that whatever caused it to stop working wont happen again. I hate this crap.

daedalius

So can you really only have 4 abilities mapped at the same time?

As Finesse/Sorc, I definitely have more than that I would like to use regularly.

Alucrid

Banned
When do you start getting different armor? I'm level 5 and four hours or so in and am still in the starting stuff appearance wise.

Einbroch

Banned
After playing about 6-8 hours Reckoning mode just all of a sudden stopped working. Reloaded every auto save and manual save and it doesn't work in those either except for the save right after the tutorial ended. So in order to be able to use Reckoning mode again I have to start the entire game over and then I'm not guaranteed that whatever caused it to stop working wont happen again. I hate this crap.

It's only EXP. You said the button jamming didn't work. Reckoning mode works though, right? I wouldn't let getting bonus EXP in a certain mode force me to restart the game.

I only use Reckoning on bosses anyway. The bonus EXP thing is meh.

Playing on 360 and enjoying it but man I'm so sick of fudging with the camera after only 3 hours.
I really wish gaming GAF was split into PC and console. Reading page after page about Pc issues & questions is getting old with all these muliplat games.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm going to assume so because just walking by npcs they reference quests I've completed or things I've killed. Not sure about the romance though.

Hmm. Actually those also happened in Skyrim (NPC commenting). I'm talking about something more significant, though, like maybe joining one faction will bar you from entering others... stuff like that.

legbone

So is the 240space pts finesse dlc worth it?

who knows? i bought it and can't find it anywhere. it's not in the chest for dlc. keeps saying nothing new is available. i bought it 5 hours ago. if you buy it and figure out how to actually get it in the game please let me know how.

It's only EXP. You said the button jamming didn't work. Reckoning mode works though, right? I wouldn't let getting bonus EXP in a certain mode force me to restart the game.

I only use Reckoning on bosses anyway. The bonus EXP thing is meh.

It's a core mechanic in the game that's absolutely broken. Part of the strategy of the game is to get as many enemies grouped up as possible and use Reckoning on them for maximum XP. For a game that the devs claimed was bug-free (as possible) this is not acceptable to me. I'm tired of paying full price for broken shit.

Wallach

Hmm. Actually those also happened in Skyrim (NPC commenting). I'm talking about something more significant, though, like maybe joining one faction will bar you from entering others... stuff like that.

Not that I know of. In fact I'm pretty sure the design intent is quite the opposite in that they don't want you to be able to lock yourself out of quests for stuff like that.

sneaky77

who knows? i bought it and can't find it anywhere. it's not in the chest for dlc. keeps saying nothing new is available. i bought it 5 hours ago. if you buy it and figure out how to actually get it in the game please let me know how.

did you try to redownload it when not in the game?

legbone

did you try to redownload it when not in the game?

yep. i'm afraid i'm going to have to reload a save from the time prior to getting the shepard armor or start a whole new game to get it. hate to waste all those hours. really starting to piss me off.

Einbroch

Banned
It's a core mechanic in the game that's absolutely broken. Part of the strategy of the game is to get as many enemies grouped up as possible and use Reckoning on them for maximum XP. For a game that the devs claimed was bug-free (as possible) this is not acceptable to me. I'm tired of paying full price for broken shit.

If you're going to let a thing like that ruin your game experience, then hey, return it. I just think it's a little silly to return a game because one aspect of one part of the game isn't working for you.

If leveling up to the max as soon as humanly possible (probably only 5% faster in the grand scheme of things) is the most important thing to you, then I'm sorry that you are unablet o enjoy the game. I've played 12 hours and have used Reckoning three times. Once in the beginning because you have to, once in an Arena fight, and once on a boss that was kicking my ass.

Rommel

I had a bug during the tutorial that I couldn't push F for some reason to finish off the first Troll... no matter what I did it wouldn't work, either on my Controller or Keyboard... then I alt tabbed and tabbed back in and for some reason it worked and I haven't had a problem since... weird

If you're going to let a thing like that ruin your game experience, then hey, return it. I just think it's a little silly to return a game because one aspect of one part of the game isn't working for you.

If leveling up to the max as soon as humanly possible (probably only 5% faster in the grand scheme of things) is the most important thing to you, then I'm sorry that you are unablet o enjoy the game. I've played 12 hours and have used Reckoning three times. Once in the beginning because you have to, once in an Arena fight, and once on a boss that was kicking my ass.

Just because you don't know how to maximize its usage doesnt mean that I don't. Like I said, it's a core mechanic and it's broken. Your guess of 5 percent is just wrong. I can group up a ton of mobs, use Reckoning and almost move up an entire level (early in the game) by simply hitting 100 percent on Reckoning Mode.

legbone

this game is definitely having bug issues. i got stuck behind the table with the first healer and had to reload an earlier quick save because the game autosaved after i healed. i was behind the table with the healer and could not get out. if there was a jump button i could have jumped over the table. instead i lost an hour of playtime. sucked. also see above for my dlc woes. game needs some work.

I had a bug during the tutorial that I couldn't push F for some reason to finish off the first Troll... no matter what I did it wouldn't work, either on my Controller or Keyboard... then I alt tabbed and tabbed back in and for some reason it worked and I haven't had a problem since... weird

I've done everything I can think of to reset whatever happened. Took off all my gear, loaded every single auto and manual save, respecced my character, changed difficulty, restarted my 360, changed save location etc etc Unfortunately nothing works.

Einbroch

Banned
Just because you don't know how to maximize its usage doesnt mean that I don't. Like I said, it's a core mechanic and it's broken. Your guess of 5 percent is just wrong. I can group up a ton of mobs, use Reckoning and almost move up an entire level (early in the game) by simply hitting 100 percent on Reckoning Mode.

I'm level 22 and barely even put a dent in the game. I'll likely be max level in no time.

Also, I do know how to maximize it, I just choose not to. But this is obviously very important to you, so return it, and I'm sorry you couldn't enjoy the game.

Rokam

Meanwhile, every character I make after this first will just never use Reckoning. Kind of funny, that.

Every character I make will use Reckoning on (early game sidequest)
The Widow boss. Shitloads of spiders.... SO MANY SPIDERS

erragal

Game can be hard. After 70 tries finally finishing the final fight of the House of Ballads quest line. 4 sprites, 2 champion sprites, a lenashe and a thresh and a boss that can do 90% damage at once. 10% reckoning to start the fight, 8 total health potions, no buff consumables. Half of the times I died within the first 4 seconds.

I don't think it's supposed to be quite that hard...she started at half health but it made it much much more challenging. Too much for me.

scy

Game can be hard. After 70 tries finally finishing the final fight of the House of Ballads quest line. 4 sprites, 2 champion sprites, a lenashe and a thresh and a boss that can do 90% damage at once. 10% reckoning to start the fight, 8 total health potions, no buff consumables. Half of the times I died within the first 4 seconds.

I don't think it's supposed to be quite that hard...she started at half health but it made it much much more challenging. Too much for me.

That fight is glorious. I was a bit sad that the
Traveler's finale wasn't as ridiculous
. This fight, and a few others throughout the game so far, are basically why I want to do a Reckoning-free playthrough.

That and the fact I'm Level 30 already and only on like Main Quest 5 or 6.

ReaperXL7

Bacon I doubt that this will make a lot of difference to you, lord knows I know how you feel about the bug issues with skyrim on PS3, but I have asked 3 of my friends who got the game on 360 and two of them have not encountered this problem. The third has not gotten back to me. Its possible that its not an easily reproducible bug and was missed by the QA team. I can easily say that in the time I have had tp play its much less bug ridden as the demo was. I would suggest reporting the issue on their forums, atleast let them know about the problem.

legbone

well, i finally reloaded a save from the time prior to accessing the chest. i lost some hours but at least i got my dlc. the stuff is pretty good. i had a bow that was better than what was offered but everything else (the armor, the fae blades, and the daggers) were way better than what i had. with the dlc you get a matching set of armor that is fucking awesome looking and increases your health and criticals with melee by 10%. you get a wicked looking shield that gives you plus 10 health and another 10% critical melee (at least i hope it stacks). then you get a bow that is not that hot. looks cool though. gives 10 damage, 4 piercing damage, 4 poison damage over 4 seconds and 2% chance to critical. the fae blades give 8 physical damage, 5 piercing damage, 5% chance to steal 4 health per hit, and plus 5% physical damage. the daggers give 5 physical damage, 5 piercing damage, plus 5% critical hit damage, adn plus 5% damage at night. seems like pretty decent stuff for early game. but i actually have a better bow already so it seems like you may get better stuff pretty quick. but it seems that all the stuff i have found in my game is centered towards might so i think the dlc was worth it. just glad i figured out how to get it. word of advice, get the dlc early in case you run into the same bug i did (i have to assume it was a bug, since it is pretty stupid to limit when you can access paid dlc).

Top Bottom