• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Wallach

I was worried the talisman might end up looking kind of plain... Looks like I was wrong as hell.

Screenshot171916.png

ooooo aaaaaaaah

Is that the Mindshield? I found that thing on my mage.

Gattsu25

Banned
Just hit level 2 and I'm torn..

Should I increase stealth (like the stealth gameplay, so far), detect hidden (currently at 2), or should I begin pumping points into blacksmithing or alchemy?

Something else?

Choices choices.

scy

In my opinion, Detect Hidden up to Hidden Doors and then do whatever you want (or Blacksmithing).

Well, just encountered my first broken, uncompleteable quest.

Yay. :/

What quest? I did every single quest in the first region (something around 70 of them?)

scy

Her Righteous Fury, second area (desert).

Ah, didn't go that way yet (barring a run to get to the faction camp); can't help you :(

Edit: On that note, like every area could use a 2 or so level bump on their high-end. Doing all the quests and some smart Reckoning use and I'm running into grey con stuff already. I have like 10 areas untouched :(

What achievements are going to be screwed if i change the difficulty to hard. I already have 6 hours invested and dont wanna start over. Loving the game by the way

Dead

well not really...yet
Man I can't stand this shit

One minute I want to be a Chakram/Faeblades boss, the next I want to a swing a bigass hammer

Why cant the characters have 4 arms?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Not loving it so far. Thought it would be more skyrim/dragon age but its like a diablo with action controls. Don't feel like anythng I do matters. Skill gonna play it more, only lvl 8 right now.

Einbroch

Banned
Yep. It's fucked. Awesome.

She won't move. She has to go to this one spot, and this NPC just won't move. Now I can't complete the second leg of this pretty sweet dungeon (three tiers, each side quest unlocks a deeper area). Shit like this just makes me hate open world games.

/rant

This game is so fuckin' awesome.

By the way, I haven't encountered any really monotonous side quests yet. I've completed a few and then got 4-5 in the to-do list. They all seem legit and have a unique story. Couple examples from early game:

- the wolf who turned into human by sprites, that was cool. Probably has no relevance at all to the story of the game but it was good for a side quest.
- the one you kill 4 antelope and put them in the shrine and fight the big troll, not a bad quest

If those 2 are examples of what they're like later in game then we're in luck.

I don't agree with the WoW comparisons for the side quests because in WoW it was literally just kill X amount of boars and come back to this guy. They were really half-assed and didn't have nearly the story or voice acting or uniqueness.

Maybe Amalur's side quests get more monotonous later on, I dunno. I got to the 'job board' but haven't done any of those quests yet, maybe that's what ppl are talking about.

ReaperXL7

So I was able to start my character before I had to come to work.going to go might finesse for my first run , but have not decided if I want to push for blademaster or slayer yet going to have to see how my point allocation leads me. Going to be fun seeing how far I can get without chest armor. Probably going to go with greatswords and bows as my weps of choice.

scy

I don't agree with the WoW comparisons for the side quests because in WoW it was literally just kill X amount of boars and come back to this guy. They were really half-assed and didn't have nearly the story or voice acting or uniqueness.

Maybe Amalur's side quests get more monotonous later on, I dunno. I got to the 'job board' but haven't done any of those quests yet, maybe that's what ppl are talking about.

I can actually count the amount of "Kill X of Y" quests on one hand; if we broaden it to "kill these four named enemies" or something then there's a lot more but every quest "hub" has at least one or two quests that are completely and totally different.

So I was able to start my character before I had to come to work.going to go might finesse for my first run , but have not decided if I want to push for blademaster or slayer yet going to have to see how my point allocation leads me. Going to be fun seeing how far I can get without chest armor. Probably going to go with greatswords and bows as my weps of choice.

That's basically my next planned character. So hard to not go and start that one now but ... gotta push through with this current build!

Wallach

The House of Ballads line is pretty fucking cool. I don't really get why people are down on quests likes that, it's as interesting as anything I did in 70 hours of Skyrim. And I am a fucking massive ES lore nerd.

Just found a really good bow that's WAY better than all my other weapons. I'm doing a finesse build, playing on hard. Whats a good site to upload pics to? EDIT:

2012-02-07_00002.jpg

About to boot up the game now, finally!! Good to see all the positive feedback for the game. Going pure mage first time through, which I never do, but the demo convinced me!

Apeboy

Having a real good time.

I haven't done any side quests just exploring on Hard. Made it as far as Star Camp getting to lvl 4. Trying to sneak up on trolls didn't go so well. Time to head back and clean up some quests and get ready for another expedition.

It maybe due to not doing any side quests but potions are few and far between for me. Wound up buying some regen potions at camp.

Good times Curt. Good times.

Einbroch

Banned
And now I can't fast travel. At all.

Whatever you do, guys, DO NOT DO THE "HER RIGHTEOUS FURY" SIDEQUEST.

Completely broke my game. It always thinks I'm in the dungeon.

scy

lol, just got a quest that debuffed me with three curses that hit me with a spell when I swing.

Three procs later, I'm dead :| Guess I'm doing that quest first now.

And now I can't fast travel. At all.

Whatever you do, guys, DO NOT DO THE "HER RIGHTEOUS FURY" SIDEQUEST.

Completely broke my game. It always thinks I'm in the dungeon.

Wow are you serious? Where do you get this quest? I'll make a separate save file before I try to do it.

Einbroch

Banned
Wow are you serious? Where do you get this quest? I'll make a separate save file before I try to do it.

Town of Galette, from a woman leaning against a building.

I've tried reloading, attacking her and running away, turning on and off my console. Nothing works. She just stands there. Then when I leave, it says "You cannot fast travel from here".

Damn, how many hours have you put into the game? Try to look at it in a positive light..you can try a new build now...I now that sucks buts thats the only thing I can think of..

scy

I'm going to give that quest a shot when I finish up with the area I'm in; I'll see if it's bugged on PC too.

So I think my game is fucked. For whatever reason whenever I use Reckoning mode it won't register my button pushes to increase experience earned. Not sure what happened. 360 version. I've reset the game, gone back to old saves, nothing. No indicator that I'm pressing anything and no bonus XP for all the enemies. Fuck this if I have to completely start over.

shaowebb

I want that scouts bow, but I think my socketed Firey bow is good for now. That boom boom boom baby! Knock down and burn damage. You can't catch me son.

EDIT: Where the fae blades at? Can't find a one for some reason but I'm finding tons of longswords.

Khezu

The House of Ballads line is pretty fucking cool. I don't really get why people are down on quests likes that, it's as interesting as anything I did in 70 hours of Skyrim. And I am a fucking massive ES lore nerd.

I think most are saying the faction quests like HoB and the main quest are good, its jut the side quests that are bland.

For the side quests I think they should have done it similar to WoW, and had less of them, but they chained into other quests, so they could tell a story.

After skyrim and this, I hope some devs realize sometimes less is more.

So... just got done playing for 10 hours. This coming from someone who usually only puts about an hour or so in a game before needing a break.

The smoke bomb is the SHIT. Love this game, its absolutely fantastic.

moop1167

omg... it's happening again. I get to the character creation screen and now I have no clue what race to choose, as well as what god to go with, because I have no clue how I want to spec my guy. AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Einbroch

Banned
omg... it's happening again. I get to the character creation screen and now I have no clue what race to choose, as well as what god to go with, because I have no clue how I want to spec my guy. AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

You can respec as often as you want (for a cost). It's okay. Breathe. :p

Wallach

Ya well, can I respec my skills? Like lockpicking, stealth, etc? If so, then I guess no biggie.

Yes, you can respec all of your skills. Also later you'll be able to redo any of your physical traits. There are three things that are permanent about character creation:

- race

Everything else is changeable down the road.

moop1167

Guess I'll start with full sorcery as I originally planned. Although according to that Amalurfoundry site the staff and chakram aren't a good pair and sceptres seemed boring from the demo.

shaowebb

Guess I'll start with full sorcery as I originally planned. Although according to that Amalurfoundry site the staff and chakram aren't a good pair.

Chakram are awesome, but staffs are too slow for me. Course I run full keepaway most times playing Hawkeye on people though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Guess I'll start with full sorcery as I originally planned. Although according to that Amalurfoundry site the staff and chakram aren't a good pair and sceptres seemed boring from the demo.

Really?

Hmmmmmmmm.............................

If I go for pure mage build, meaning all skills invested in the Sorcery tree with no points spent in any other tree (also all the sorcery destiny lines), will I have problems down the road?

See, I am sort of OCD freak when it comes to this sort of stuff... Most of the times I much prefer go to the 'pure' routes (pure warrior, pure rogue, pure mage) instead of the hybrids.

Wallach

For those that are curious, I found out that the Gamestop ToF card is +2% exp from Reckoning kills. So yeah, not missing out on much there.

Those DLC packs aren't on the PC yet I guess. Wouldn't mind the Sorcery set just to have some new armor (I haven't found shit for armor at all except a shield).

Top Bottom