• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They do support modding, but due t resource contraints they were not able to make and release a tool set.I know its a popular request on their forums though so maybe they can make them happen later on.

Oh, right, I misremembered oh-so slightly. I wavered between "mod support" and "releasing an SDK" when deciding what to post. :p

Wallach

That's it? So I don't lose anything really then. Hard mode better you think?

Yeah, I'd play on hard. You can always switch back if you don't like it as much.

So I've been pumping up Persuasion, but . . . I guess Detect Hidden would be more useful.

Persuasion is actually pretty boss. I honestly haven't found a ton of stuff with Detect Hidden, it's mostly just for more gold/consumables.

Here she is so far! Game is beautifull!

wiG1a.jpg

360!

ironcreed

Banned
Just played for about 5 hours and all I can say is that it is Kingdoms of Awesome for me. It's like Champions of Norrath on steroids, meets what Fable should have been. Literally a loot whore's paradise as well, which makes the game like crack all on it's own.

Then there are quests around every corner, and I am actually finding most of them so varied and interesting that I have not even cared to touch the main quest. After 5 hours I have only managed to get as far as Webwood and still even have some of the demo quests left to do back in Gohort as well. It is indeed big and is absolutely filled to the brim with stuff to do.

No, the high fantasy premise and setting is nothing original, but I still find the world beautiful and just begging to be explored. Add in the fluid and fun as hell gameplay, all of the great loot, tons of interesting quests, some nice production values and you have a great game here. While some of it may come off as generic to some, it is a gold mine for those who love high fantasy and action role playing games in general. If you fall into the latter group, don't overlook this game.

JambiBum

Yeah, I'd play on hard. You can always switch back if you don't like it as much.

Persuasion is actually pretty boss. I honestly haven't found a ton of stuff with Detect Hidden, it's mostly just for more gold/consumables.

Higher levels of detect hidden allow you to access secret doors that have a lot of loot in them. Along with the whole hollowed out logs and rocks you can find.

scy

Faeblade builds would benefit from the Lorestone you need it for for free passive +Faeblade damage. Other than that, it's just for a nice chest for a chance of good loot.

Oh and for fun. Link approves of this purchase at my desk at work today.

Ylnwi.jpg

Are these pictures way to big? I used my iPhone to upload and everything and it's the first time I did it that way.

Wallach

Faeblade builds would benefit from the Lorestone you need it for for free passive +Faeblade damage. Other than that, it's just for a nice chest for a chance of good loot.

Yeah, I was going to say I think the only door I have found was in that area that you have to have it to complete that Lorestone collection (which didn't matter for me since I'm Sorcery). I'm sure you'll come across some nice loot via the extra chests, but you'll also come across some nice loot that is specific to Persuasion options. Only downside is that you don't seem to get above 95% chance to succeed at Persuasion so you want to keep your quick saves fresh in case one fails (I actually failed the very first Persuasion check in the game with that gnome this time and had to leave his gnome corpse in the forest).

Muskweeto

I am loving my Rogue + Full finesse guy, combat is so fun.

And as Curt said above, I got stuck on the side of a house once and the only thing that got me unstuck was to do the dagger charge thingy.

Has anyone else who's playing the PS3 version noticed some delayed sound effects at times?

legbone

My oldest son got stuck at the blackmtih forge early on, almost reset and restarted but after trying everything we used his dagger charged ability and he got free. If you do get stuck in geometry please try that.
If it does not work PLEASE if you can, report the bug via email or service provided in game if possible, we'll do whatever we can to address bugs IF/AS we can guys.

thanks curt. appreciate the advice. i hadn't put any points into it at the time though but i will definitely keep it in mind. by the way, it is fucking awesome that you are actually taking time to give tips like this regarding bugs. thanks. can't wait to see what you guys have coming next because even though i have run into some bugs i am still having an absolute blast with your game.

Quick question: can you just sell the books and letters you pick up? like the adventure books and the grave letters? or does something happen if you get all of each series. I sold them already but I think you can buy them back.

I'm loving the game so much. The fast travel system is great. Even after finishing a quest you don't have to walk back, just press select and fast travel to the nearest location which is usually close to where you want to go since there's a lot of spots. This takes away SO much of the monotony and boredom from these types of sprawling open games where normally in other games you're hiking around the world for half of your playtime just to get some one point to another in a quest line.

ReaperXL7

Yeah, I was going to say I think the only door I have found was in that area that you have to have it to complete that Lorestone collection (which didn't matter for me since I'm Sorcery). I'm sure you'll come across some nice loot via the extra chests, but you'll also come across some nice loot that is specific to Persuasion options. Only downside is that you don't seem to get above 95% chance to succeed at Persuasion so you want to keep your quick saves fresh in case one fails (I actually failed the very first Persuasion check in the game with that gnome this time and had to leave his gnome corpse in the forest).

It kind of seems to me that all of the major skills are designed to let you find loot in different ways, blacksmithing and sagecraft=make your own, detect hidden= find more, persuaion= talk your way into loot,merchantile= buy it. I could see it being a situation where having all of these maxxed would have you swimming in loot in no time.

legbone

detect hidden has been super useful in the early going. love it. think i'll do a little blacksmithing also. best thing is i can always respec. love that the respec option is there. every game should have it.

Wallach

Is there a +Faeblade lorestone you can only get with points in detect hidden? Mind telling me where I can find it and around how many points I need in detect hidden to get it?

You need to be able to detect hidden doors, which I believe is 5 points in.

Just check the Lorestones page in-game and find the one that has +% Faeblade damage; all the Lorestones are in the same zone for that one and it is listed in the description.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It kind of seems to me that all of the major skills are designed to let you find loot in different ways, blacksmithing and sagecraft=make your own, detect hidden= find more, persuaion= talk your way into loot,merchantile= buy it. I could see it being a situation where having all of these maxxed would have you swimming in loot in no time.

Cough Cough xD

I'm loving the game so much. The fast travel system is great. Even after finishing a quest you don't have to walk back, just press select and fast travel to the nearest location which is usually close to where you want to go since there's a lot of spots. This takes away SO much of the monotony and boredom from these types of sprawling open games where normally in other games you're hiking around the world for half of your playtime just to get some one point to another in a quest line.

To be fair, isn't this how fast travel works in all open-world RPGs? :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Playing on 360 and enjoying it but man I'm so sick of fudging with the camera after only 3 hours.
I really wish gaming GAF was split into PC and console. Reading page after page about Pc issues & questions is getting old with all these muliplat games.

Complain about technical issue...
Complain about people complaining about technical issues...

Here's an idea, how about you just skip over the PC-specific posts? You don't need to read every post in a thread, you know?

Idle curiosity, did you try Reckoning, letting it go through, and then seeing what happens when you get a new Reckoning to pop up?

Yeah, by the very nature of the fact that it isn't acknowledging button presses they're all going through, and then all subsequent uses ignore button presses as well.

I've restarted the game and will hopefully plow through those 6 hours of content tomorrow. I don't want to do it, but it's not like I have much choice.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway, a bit over three hours in at level 3 in the game, and I'm absolutely loving it. Still just putzing around in the first big forest area, and I just made it to the House of Ballads. I'm really enjoying the world they've crafted. I'm a huge fantasy fan in general, but I like their take on it so far.

I'm playing on Hard, and other than the first cave before the Argen guy who tries to read your fate, the game has been pretty easy thus far. I'm playing a Might-centric guy with heavy armor.

Alas, I have to work this week. I wish I could just devote a ton of time to this game, but I guess that's what the weekend is for.

Sera O

Banned
I'm a couple of hours in. My impressions so far based on what little I've seen are that I don't really care all that much about the story and world, but that the fighting is really fun and satisfying. That's pretty unusual as WRPGs are usually the other way around for me. I'm looking forward to playing more.

fallingdove

For those that played the demo and are currently playing the retail copy, has the camera been fixed? What are the differences that you notice about the camera?

ShdwDrake

Banned
Fix? The camera was made how the developer intended it.

U know what he means. And the the camera is pretty much the same getting attacked from and attacking off screen still happens. The camera sometimes just doesn't zoom out enough. Also sometimes it clips through the ground.

The key is to almost constantly adjust it. The wierd thing for me that I noticed is that sometimes when turning the camera turns with the character but other times it just doesn't.

Game is still hella fun though. But I'd enjoy it alot better if the camera was zoomed out a bit more and stuck more closely to my character but still did the cinematic zoom out for battle.

Apparently its gonna hurt sales too my roomate for example was super hyped (curtesy of me) and he wanted to try it out before he got a copy so I let him play and the first thing he said was "What the fuck is wrong with this camera?"

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why does Steam show that only 81.1% of all players have unlocked the very first acheev?

I'm confused.

Because the first achievement is awarded after emerging from Allestar Tower, which takes at least 10-15 minutes - roughly twice that if players sit through all of the dialogue options. Evidently, 18.9% of players haven't progressed that far.

Anyone who has already reached Didenhill (and I am guessing that are a lot) be sure to swim across the lake and near the edges of the water, perhaps even swim into a river stream. Just a heads up. Trust me.

ReaperXL7

Because the first achievement is awarded after emerging from Allestar Tower, which takes at least 10-15 minutes - roughly twice that if players sit through all of the dialogue options. Evidently, 18.9% of players haven't progressed that far.

Wrong! The first achivement available is obtainable within the first 5 seconds. You just have to be comfertable with your body. :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is it feasible to go through the entire game using only one set of weapons like Daggers or Faeblades?

Sure, why not? I'm using hammers and long swords, but I pretty much JUST use the hammer, and back it up with magic.

I love it. Been playing since 3:50 pm, I had to turn off the ps3 or i'd keep playing all night when i have class in the morning. The most beautiful thing about all this? I haven't completed any of the main quests(2) given after reaching the first town.

Top Bottom