• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Nelo Ice

Banned
http://www.twitch.tv/team/reckoning
JoinDota and Soembi. I think every streamer there got keys to give away though.

I think Soe's viewer count is the lowest and if she doesn't ask a question she just posts the key into her chat. Also there are no comments, just go into the twitchtv chat.

Thanks for the heads up and help! Guess I'll be looking and listening to multiple streams this should be fun gotta win a copy!

spirity

Nah they have low level epics, if you are having bad luck like I am currently you can just start making gem stuff and making epic quality stuff on your own.

Had a hunch that might be the case. I like that, its a bit depressing in other games having to trudge through 20 levels of wearing whites before you get to the good stuff. Yeah, its just colours at the end of the day and its stats that matter but fuck it I want my nice loots :)

Kifimbo

Hey I'm in the wilderness, I just did a quest but I wonder what's the closest questarea near me.

Enter questlog.
Select quest.
Go back to game.
Go into map.
"No, that's too far"
Enter questlog.
Select another quest.
Back to the game again
Into the map.
"Still too far"

etc

This sucks. I wish you could track multiple stuff like in Skyrim. I realize most stuff pops up regardless of what you have tracked if you are near the area, but I'd still like to track more than 1 quest, especially if they're far away.

You're doing it wrong. You can switch between the map and the questlog.

How do saves work in the retail game? Can you rely upon autosaves or do you have to manually save just to be sure? How often does it autosave?

There are two autosaves, it looks like, and you can manually save pretty much whenever. Im gonna say after hearing that it autosaved after his death that you can't really depend on autosave. But, really, you should never depend on autosave if you don't have to. It's second nature for me at the point to save every couple minutes. I don't even think about it anymore. Once you lose a ton of progress in a game you learn that lesson ;)

moop1167

You can if you like the extra effect to it, I normally have it off. Let me post 3 dif shots to compare.

I just don't know because they don't even tell you what post-processing does in game, as it is definitely multiple effects. I wish the game gave you ways to tweak them individually.

The FXAA injector is a toggle anyways, right? At least it was in Skyrim.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I just don't know because they don't even tell you what post-processing does in game, as it is definitely multiple effects. I wish the game gave you ways to tweak them individually.

Yup it's a toggle
Screenshot113940.png

Only FXAA
Screenshot114732.png

Both Enabled
Screenshot115483.png

Syrionus

Neo Member
Well, GameStop just tried to sell me my PS3 reserved copy in an open package. They tried telling me it hadn't been played but when I asked why it was open, they couldn't give me a reason. Uh, this is why I hate dealing with them. Anyway, made them give me my money back and went and got it from another GameStop. This one was in its proper case.

Wallach

It's basically the full-screen motion blur and the bloom. Both are kind of gross looking quite frankly, so I play with them off.

Well, GameStop just tried to sell me my PS3 reserved copy in an open package. They tried telling me it hadn't been played but when I asked why it was open, they couldn't give me a reason. Uh, this is why I hate dealing with them. Anyway, made them give me my money back and went and got it from another GameStop. This one was in its proper case.

Wow on release day? Fuck them.

I honestly dont mind my local GameStop but that shit is inexcusable.

daedalius

Yea 2 autosaves... too bad one is from the very beginning of the game

I wouldn't depend on autosave anymore, not after the whole saving after I was dead thing

Alucrid

Banned
Both. It's trial and error, but if you're careful enough you won't lose your lockpick.

If I let go of the left stick does it move backwards? If so I haven't noticed that happening.

Edit: So I got a special delivery thing...full of items I can't use.

Yea 2 autosaves... too bad one is from the very beginning of the game

I wouldn't depend on autosave anymore, not after the whole saving after I was dead thing
Good to know, and sorry you got screwed. Is there a quick-save bind if you use a controller?

Its one of the first mods I picked up for Skyrim and I honestly couldn't live without now.

Fox318

Mass Effect - 7/10
Jade Empire - 7/10
KotOR - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10
The Witcher - 5/10
Morrowind - 6/10
Oblivion - 8/10
Fallout 3 - 7/10
Diablo - 7/10
Diablo II - 6/10
Arcanum - 5
Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines - 6
Fallout 1 - 7
Fable - 8/10
Fable 2 - 9/10

Some of them might be inaccurate. But yeah, I wouldn't trust their opinions on WRPG.
What the fuck?????

Picking it up Sunday, can't come soon enough.

Can anyone tell me how much player choice figures into quest narratives? For example, are there different kinds of quests for different aligned characters, or different ways to resolve the same quest depending on morality, skill, etc?

Curious to know if each of my playthroughs has the potential to be different, or if I'll just be playing the same storyline over and over with different characters.

chifanpoe

Man, all the weapons are so awesome, I don't know what to do :[

Just picked it up from GS, installed on the PS3, dl all the crap, and made it through the intro.. Have it paused at my lvl up screen not sure what to do....

Much better on hard setting!

Runs great on the PS3!

Going to eat for now then hopefully decide how i will start off my build.

AEREC

They used to do that shit all the time...it's mainly why I havent used them in at least 2 years, sucks to hear they are still doing shit like that.

I honestly would have gone to Best Buy after that and not just another Gamestop where they still get the money from it.

AEREC

Just picked it up from GS, installed on the PS3, dl all the crap, and made it through the intro.. Have it paused at my lvl up screen not sure what to do....

Runs great on the PS3!

You can always respec later.

Runs great on the PS3!

It's good to know that it's running great on PS3 and 360. Props to BHG on that.

Rokam

Anyone know where the key is for the chest directly to the left after you zone out of the House of Ballads? It's the one not named after a season of the year.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Bloody hell.

Just started this game. Just arrived at the first village/town. What the hell, man, what the hell. So many options. So many cool looking weapons. So many choices to make.

The dual-wielding weapons like daggers and their respective battle skills look so cool. But the flashy boom and bang of the mage tree seem so alluring as well (and the chakrams look so goddamn awesome.) But the armor plates for the warrior class look so awesome too!

And the bloody destinies! Which one should I pick? They're all looking equally tempting! Archmage? Nightblade? Or the Universalist? GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH *head explodes*

So uh guys, skill recommendations? Everyone seem agree that Detect Hidden is crucial but what about the rest?

Grinchy

Banned
It's basically the full-screen motion blur and the bloom. Both are kind of gross looking quite frankly, so I play with them off.

I use an ATI card so I couldn't turn on post processing in the demo. I was really used to the look of the game without it, but I was excited to see how it looked in the final game. I'm with you...it looks shitty. To my eyes, the game looks considerably worse with the PP turned on.
IFor example, when you first leave the caves/dungeon and you are in the first open area, there were a pack of wolves, around 5 of them near a cave entrance. For starters, the cave was locked out until you did something else, but in the retail it is open from the get go. Instead of 5 wolves, there are only 2 now. I had to go back to my settings thinking that I accidently put it on "kids mode" but it was on hard.

I remembered reading this post, so I was on the lookout for how many wolves were in the front of that cave. There were 4 of them in my game on hard difficulty. Small chance that there were 5 and I counted wrong, but it was at least 4 wolves for sure.

Einbroch

Banned
Bloody hell.

Just started this game. Just arrived at the first village/town. What the hell, man, what the hell. So many options. So many cool looking weapons. So many choices to make.

The dual-wielding weapons like daggers and their respective battle skills look so cool. But the flashy boom and bang of the mage tree seem so alluring as well (and the chakrams look so goddamn awesome.) But the armor plates for the warrior class look so awesome too!

And the bloody destinies! Which one should I pick? They're all looking equally tempting! Archmage? Nightblade? Or the Universalist? GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH *head explodes*

So uh guys, skill recommendations? Everyone seem agree that Detect Hidden is crucial but what about the rest?

Persuasion. You can persuade people to give you epics.

Syrionus

Neo Member
They used to do that shit all the time...it's mainly why I havent used them in at least 2 years, sucks to hear they are still doing shit like that.

I honestly would have gone to Best Buy after that and not just another Gamestop where they still get the money from it.

I would have but it was actually the copy for a friend and I wanted to get it tonight. Didn't have anymore money to drop tonight and the refund would have taken a couple of days. Anyway, I have dropped $240 on this game. I liked the demo so much that I got 2 copies for me and 2 copies for friends. I got my midnight. Last night I picked up a midnight release and played until 6 this morning, went to sleep and I am about to go start it back up again. I have to work tomorrow night so I am taking my laptop and hopefully I will get to play a bit. Is there anything I am going to need to change for my PC version. I have the 360 controller to use but is there anything else I need to know about to keep it the same experience as my 360? This is a really awesome game!

Vamphuntr

Agree with the first point, but the boring sidequests are only the one where they asked you to kill X monsters or collect Y items. I stopped doing these sidequests.

Ugh... So it's like the quests in Xenoblade :( I hated that game because of these fetch quests.
Too late to cancel it out as my preorder shipped. Oh Well

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Persuasion. You can persuade people to give you epics.

Really? How much point should I spend there?

I usually play stealth oriented characters but, judging from the 1st "boss" encounter, you can't really stealth attack bosses, yeah? And I think I read somewhere that the game tends to clutter enemies so even if you managed to stealth kill one enemy you will still be forced to a grand melee against the others.

So.... stealth, not that viable in this game?

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Mass Effect - 7/10
Jade Empire - 7/10
KotOR - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10
The Witcher - 5/10
Morrowind - 6/10
Oblivion - 8/10
Fallout 3 - 7/10
Diablo - 7/10
Diablo II - 6/10
Arcanum - 5
Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines - 6
Fallout 1 - 7
Fable - 8/10
Fable 2 - 9/10

Some of them might be inaccurate. But yeah, I wouldn't trust their opinions on WRPG.

1) LOOOOOOOOOOOL Jesus H they need to be shut down!

2) Small spoiler
You get a mirror you can use to recustomize your character! Can change everything but sex looks like. So simple, so awesome.

Dead

well not really...yet
Mas Effect armor was neat but only lasted me about 3 hours into the game. Already looted better armor! (cept for the greaves)

shaowebb

This is for shao
Screenshot164538.png

My man! I've been telling Q anytime he kills something big RUSH IT. The bodies stay ragdoll capable for awhile if you run into them so you can flop em around and pose em all kinds of ways.

This shot is great Q. New pet found. I had one where this wolf landed spread eagle on my dude's face for awhile but I was mashing print screen instead of F12 on Steam like a damned noob so all I got was the one shot of it and not the one I mentioned.

Still worth sharing though getting a wolf to kick its legs over its ears.

zUfRG.jpg

ukas

Does anyone know the actual release date for the guide? Amazon says the 10th and Gamestop says the 21st. Why the hell wasn't it today?

Rokam

My man! I've been telling Q anytime he kills something big RUSH IT. The bodies stay ragdoll capable for awhile if you run into them so you can flop em around and pose em all kinds of ways.

I had a good time rolling around some fatty Jottuns in a cave.

Top Bottom