• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Field - The first souls game

Reyziak

It should be noted that Demon's Souls was originally supposed to be an open world King's Field game, as Sony wanted an Oblivion Killer for the PS3, but From couldn't get anything to work, and it eventually became the very much not open world Demon's Souls.

And now From released Elden Ring, pretty much the open world game they failed to make the first time.

peronmls

I was debating whether to get into this series. It's just so dated but I can see why others enjoy it. It does have a bit of an atmosphere.

killatopak

Gold Member
I wish it was modernized or something. The texture warping in such monotonous dungeons feels like it will make me sick.

winjer

Gold Member
I was debating whether to get into this series. It's just so dated but I can see why others enjoy it. It does have a bit of an atmosphere.

Elden ring's mechanics are a lo of things, but not dated.
You are missing out on a great game.

I once was a bit like you. Seven years ago I bought a Humble Bundle that had Dark Souls 3. And I had never played any of these games before.
I started the game, killed a few enemies, then reached Gundir, the first boss. And I got my ass kicked a few times, I quit and uninstalled the game.
Many years later, Elden Ring comes out, and everyone is raving about it. So I took the plunge, ought the game. Got my ass kicked, but this time I insisted and got gud.
I finished my first playthrough of Elden Ring. Did another. And eventually I decided to give another try with Dark Souls 3, and it was awesome.
I wish I could go back in time and tell my younger self to "git gud". For years I was missing out on great games.

PanzerCute

I played King's Field 4 last month and tbh it blew me away.

Controls are incredibly tedious but you get used to them and I even enjoyed combat after a while.

But damn the atmosphere, the level design, the music, the lore, the art direction... absolutely amazing!

Once it clicks it becomes a mesmerizing experience, and it definitely paved the way for the Souls series (they are still different experience tho).

The game haunted me after I finished it: I consumed all the content related to it I could find on YouTube.

Just listening to this OST gives me goosebump.

If you love dark and mysterious games, this is God Tier level.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Gold Member
I think i still have my copy. It was a neat game during that time. I remember hating the combat though.

Elden ring's mechanics are a lo of things, but not dated.
You are missing out on a great game.

I once was a bit like you. Seven years ago I bought a Humble Bundle that had Dark Souls 3. And I had never played any of these games before.
I started the game, killed a few enemies, then reached Gundir, the first boss. And I got my ass kicked a few times, I quit and uninstalled the game.
Many years later, Elden Ring comes out, and everyone is raving about it. So I took the plunge, ought the game. Got my ass kicked, but this time I insisted and got gud.
I finished my first playthrough of Elden Ring. Did another. And eventually I decided to give another try with Dark Souls 3, and it was awesome.
I wish I could go back in time and tell my younger self to "git gud". For years I was missing out on great games.

They're talking about King's Field. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Kings Field

the original Kings Field never got a US release. I had to import it at the time through a company called express. That’s where I got all of my super battle collection figures, dragon ball games, etc etc. I purchased KF1,2, and 3 at the same time somewhere around 1998 or so.

I was hooked since the first game and FROM turned into my favorite studio after.

When I was ordering from this company I couldn’t use my parents credit card so I would have them get me money orders to buy stuff. It took forever to get to me but was worth it.

Also, to play Japanese games back then on the PS1 you need a spring that kept the door open, pop in a US disc, take the us disc out and then put the Japanese game in. It was pretty simple at the time.

Good memories

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
King's Field was great. One of the first open world games I played where in the first 30 seconds of starting you could end up in an area with high level enemies that could one shot you. The souls formula was definitely forged here.

Also, the US version of King's Field was actually King's Field 2 in Japan. The first game never released outside of Japan.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Should go back to KF IV,... Played it for a bit and was loving it, specially the atmosphere and exploration since the game's chock full of secrets waiting to be found.

The Shadow Tower games are also worth mentioning, since imo they are pretty similar to KF.

Last edited:

trikster40

If you want to find out a lot about King’s Field, check out this vid. Goes through all of them in order, very cool:

• Love
Reactions: Isa

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I remember playing this years ago. So soung I had no idea what to really do, but I liked it.

Who woulda thought this would evolve to take the gaming world by storm.

Reactions: Isa

Mr Hyde

Imported Kings Field to PS when it released back in the mid nineties and was appalled by how fucking bad it was. One of the worst gaming experiences I had on PSX. Never thought that From Software would be one of my favorite devs many years later. Wish I had KF still in my collection. It's worth a pretty penny these days.

Top Bottom