• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kingsglaive also suffers from "fanservice" though.
Knights of the Round? Diamond Weapon? The latter was really random and felt more like "Hey FF7 fans, come see this film!"
Spirits Within is probably the only FF movie that really doesn't lean on that at all.

Ray Down

Banned
Well, AC is like FF7 meets Dragon Ball Z disguised as fan service for one.

The fact that Libertus is likely to be one of the characters from the movie that's also in the game just makes me...

tumblr_m2kuubpq7s1ql5yr7o1_400.gif

Tabata said Nyx has some appearance in XV.

Toth

One of many random lines that caused unintended tittering in the theatrical audience I saw it with. All of chubby cornrows guy's lines fell so flat, but this one was delivered with such indecipherable conviction.

I still wonder how it was allowed to happen. When Aaron, Lena, or Sean spoke, it felt so much more natural. He and Crowe are astonishingly poor in comparison.

Kingsglaive also suffers from "fanservice" though.
Knights of the Round? Diamond Weapon? The latter was really random and felt more like "Hey FF7 fans, come see this film!"

You're not wrong. But I'd rather watch calls backs
Ultros and Diamond Weapon
that are at least interesting to watch instead of Cloud and Sephiroth literally flying around Midgar with the 10th rendition/variation of fucking One Winged Angel playing again in the background.

Teletraan1

Banned
Just watched this. Let's face it, it was pretty bad. The constant fade to black cuts that happened through most of the film were hard to watch after a while. The story was nothing special and more like a back story for the game which is probably the aim here. Just didn't find it very interesting. Could have been a truncated video in the game that touched on the important bits. The animation was stiff as a board for most of the movie outside of the action sequences. An animated movie that animates poorly loses right out the gate for me.

Ochibi

Ah, thanks guys. I guess I just got confused by
Libertus' last line, when he calls her "Queen".

I understand it that way :
Noctis is the future King. They will marry, so Luna will be the Queen.

Maybe it's something related to this concept art -

Image_Nyx.jpg

Tabata said :
he will appear in a different form... as Ifrit maybe ?

Regarding Glauca:
I wonder if it is really just the armor that is handed down from one general to the next. It seems to be a really powerful and important weapon. (Invented by Verstael?) It was even so powerful to go against King Regis and Nyx wielding the power of the KotR. I hope there is a new Glauca in the game since Drautos died.

It was told by Tabata that :
the armor has some kind of regenerative power that can compete against the power of the

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
that are at least interesting to watch instead of Cloud and Sephiroth literally flying around Midgar with the 10th rendition/variation of fucking One Winged Angel playing again in the background.

The entire Reunion part of AC was poor, I agree but I liked seeing the characters return and the Turks had some fun moments. As a "continuation" of FF7 I think it did an okay job of setting up the world and what happened after the lifestream saved the planet. If anything they should have included more of the prequel novel stuff.

I understand it that way :
Noctis is the future King. They will marry, so Luna will be the Queen.

Tabata said :
he will appear in a different form... as Ifrit maybe ?

Well the concept art literally shows
a Couerl with Kingsglaive style horns, it might not be anything though

Ishida

Banned
Personally, one of the aspects I love the most about Kingsglaive and FFXV in general is how
The Knights of the Round are so important to the story. I know FFXIV did it first, but having the Knights being the old Kings of Lucis just feels me with hype.

I wonder if Regis was also fighting the Diamond Weapons in the form of a giant knight. I guess when Noctis dies, he will also become part of the Knights of the Round?

Regis is an absolute asshole. Sacrifice his entire city and subjects so that this son could escape WTF.

Sorry but in FFXV I'm rooting for the bad guys. Let's go Nifelheim!

He didn't sacrifice the city. The city was going to fall regardless. It was just a matter of time. The movie makes it clear that Insomnia had no salvation. Niflheim was going to take it/destroy it anyways, there was no option.

The only thing Regis could do was to send his son away in order for the kingdom to have a second chance.

The entire Reunion part of AC was poor, I agree but I liked seeing the characters return and the Turks had some fun moments. As a "continuation" of FF7 I think it did an okay job of setting up the world and what happened after the lifestream saved the planet. If anything they should have included more of the prequel novel stuff.

Yeah I agree with you, AC mostly worked for what it was trying to do. I guess the fanservice in Kingsglaive just tickled my fancy a little more.

I am sooo nervous about how the Reunion stuff will be handled in the remake though. The whole Jenova Project/Sephiroth Clone stuff, depending on how it's handled will make or break the game for me.

Koozek

Considering
what happens to him at the end, it is possible he become one of the entity/summon that Noctis need to overcome
But why would he become one? The entities aren't the same as summons and are the past kings of Lucis. And Summons/Archaeans are the incarnation of the power of stars that protect the earth or something like that. Nyx is none of that.

Ray Down

Banned
Yeah I agree with you, AC mostly worked for what it was trying to do. I guess the fanservice in Kingsglaive just tickled my fancy a little more.

I am sooo nervous about how the Reunion stuff will be handled in the remake though. The whole Jenova Project/Sephiroth Clone stuff, depending on how it's handled will make or break the game for me.

Will more Gackt being thrown in to that plot help. Since he's now responsible for Seph investigating the Shinra mansion isn't he?

Ray Down

Banned
But why would he become one? The entities aren't the same as summons and are the past kings of Lucis. And Summons/Archaeans are the incarnation of the power of stars that protect the earth or something like that. Nyx is none of that.

Maybe those deemed somewhat worthy by past kings to wear the ring, something happens with them. Maybe some weird wondering ghost.

Or maybe its like Bleach

Will more Gackt being thrown in to that plot help. Since he's now responsible for Seph investigating the Shinra mansion isn't he?

I would love it if Gackt just swept down from the heavens as a solution every time a decades-old plot hole needed to be addressed.

I'm serious!

"Gackt as a retcon device" should get its own tv tropes page.

Koozek

Personally, one of the aspects I love the most about Kingsglaive and FFXV in general is how
The Knights of the Round are so important to the story. I know FFXIV did it first, but having the Knights being the old Kings of Lucis just feels me with hype.

I wonder if Regis was also fighting the Diamond Weapons in the form of a giant knight. I guess when Noctis dies, he will also become part of the Knights of the Round?

He didn't sacrifice the city. The city was going to fall regardless. It was just a matter of time. The movie makes it clear that Insomnia had no salvation. Niflheim was going to take it/destroy it anyways, there was no option.

The only thing Regis could do was to send his son away in order for the kingdom to have a second chance.
Well, wasn't he already part of the KOTR in the end when he told the KOTRs that they should give Nyx the power because he's worthy? I think the voice who convinced them was Regis.

Ishida

Banned
Well, wasn't he already part of the KOTR in the end when he told the KOTRs that they should give Nyx the power because he's worthy? I think the voice who convinced them was Regis.

Yeah, his voice was heard, but maybe he hadn't achieved "Knight" form yet? I don't know, I like to think that one last Knight with the sword was Regis. :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

For me the fanservice stuff fell flat in Kingsglaive, mostly because
Diamond Weapon was just... there and doesn't look to be in the game(?). I don't know, that and Ultros/Orthos felt really forced fan-grab moments. Knights of the Round felt shallow too since Final Fantasy XIV just used them for a main story focus as well.

Ydelnae

I suggested that because of his strong will to live and sacrifice himself for a better future, his soul might have taken the form of that tiger/lion thing with Lucian/Kingsglaive motives. Basically, a Kingdom Hearts situation in which your heart/soul/body is so strong that it becomes a different being after you die.

artsi

Diamon Weapon was just... there and doesn't look to be in the game(?). I don't know, that and Ultros/Orthos felt really forced fan-grab moments. Knights of the Round felt shallow too since Final Fantasy XIV just used them for a main story focus as well.

But
KOTR should be more important for the plot of FFXV, considering they're in the cover art and you go around collecting their weapons.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
But
KOTR should be more important for the plot of FFXV, considering they're in the cover art and you go around collecting their weapons.

Then it just falls back to... oh, they just used this in another mainline game. lol

jett

D-Member

Yeah a kingdom full of dead people.

What a marvelous kingdom. His actions directly contributed to the annihilation of an entire population, all so that his only son could escape, since he already knew the treaty was a ruse.

Regis is a legit douchelord as the movie presented him. It's a shitty, half-baked story with barely a cogent thought going into the script.

That happened regardless with some weird mouth and facial animations.

Facial animation in this movie is honestly terrible. Most of the time it didn't fit the voice over at all.

Ochibi

What a marvelous kingdom. His actions directly contributed to the annihilation of an entire population, all so that his only son could escape, since he already knew the treaty was a ruse.

Regis is a legit douchelord as the movie presented him. It's a shitty, half-baked story with barely a cogent thought going into the script.

Facial animation in this movie is honestly terrible. Most of the time it didn't fit the voice over at all.

But would you rather save a region or the entire world ? That"s what Luna said to Nyx "To save the world !"

Ydelnae

I think
that Knights of the Round and the Old Kings are two different beings. When you use the Lucii Ring, you get judged by the past kings of Lucis and then you are granted the power of "The Old Wall", which is a magic mechanism used to protect the world (The New Wall is the barrier Regis casts using the crystal).

"The Old Wall" turned out to be the Knights of the Round, but I doubt that every fallen king gets to become a Knight since there have been 113 Lucis kings and we only have 13 Knights.

In FFXV we have a hierarchy of supernatural entities. First, we have the Goddess, then the other Gods, which created the world. Then the power of stars manifested in this creation as the Archaeans. And later, humans appeared. The Gods granted some humans (the Lucii) the power of The Old Wall to protect the world.

That's what I understood, at least.

Skilletor

I thought this was going to be a story about a kingdom vs. another kingdom.

They're shaping Noctis up to be the chosen one to save the world, which I always thought this would not be about. Pretty disappointing.

Ishida

Banned

You didn't understand. Regis did not cause the death of the Lucian people. Niflheim was going to enter regardless, whether Regis accepted the peace treaty or not. He had two choices:

1) Reject the peace treaty and keep going on a war that they would eventually lose.

2) Accept the peace treaty and have a 50/50 chance of his kingdom being saved.

He wasn't sure if the treaty was a ruse. He suspected, but he had no way to be sure until Nyx told him about the Niff ships preparing to invade.

Where are you getting the "sacrifice the kingdom for his son" thing from?

He either sent his son away, or have him at the invasion to be killed alongside him, thus ending the Lucis line.

Without Noctis, Lucis will forever be under Niflheim control. Having Noctis out of the invasion at least insures that he can rebuild the Kingdom from the ashes.

nOoblet16

I still wonder how it was allowed to happen. When Aaron, Lena, or Sean spoke, it felt so much more natural. He and Crowe are astonishingly poor in comparison.
Well those three are established big name actors with experience so it's not surprising.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Well I've finally got to see it. It was really a nice final fantasy movie. Though I must say the first half is vastly superior to the other one. Like in AC battles drag too long and get boring fast. But I loved the light politics of the first hour. Hopefully the game has more of that.

Subpar music btw.

Astral Dog

that was one awesome remix of One Winged Angel though, you cant deny that, pretty different too.

edit: i feel like for not knowing what the KOTR are, i just saw them as the old guys ghosts

Arkeband

Banned
Diamond Weapon was just... there and doesn't look to be in the game(?). I don't know, that and Ultros/Orthos felt really forced fan-grab moments. Knights of the Round felt shallow too since Final Fantasy XIV just used them for a main story focus as well.

Diamond Weapon is just a type of "demon" in FFXV, there were like four or five total in the movie, and Iedolas even told Ardyn to dispose of the remaining ones.

KotR felt flat to me because it focused on only three of them when the typical incarnation is a king and... the rest of the Knights. They're more like Warring Triad here than the KotR.

DrBretto

Banned
Luna totally could have been portrayed better, but they didn't show her as weak, either, IMO. It was more like a complete no-show. There's still hope for Luna fans in the full game. I was as down on her portyal in the movie as some of the rest of you but I watched it 3 times now and I'm convinced this is more of an issue of execution:

I get the impression that the Noctis worship isn't about her "feelings" for Noctis. It's about her faith in a prophecy involving Noctis. I got the feeling this was going on in the background the whole movie, and that Regis and Luna are aware and 100% buy into it, which is why they knew how important it was to get the ring to Noctis, everything else be damned. I feel like there was a cut scene where they explained this to Nyx and that's also why he suddenly seems to give a shit about him. Honestly, I think a lot of this movie makes a lot more sense if you read between the lines and make the assumption that Regis, Luna and Ardyn at least all have a firm belief that Noctis is SUPER important.

-When Luna jumps out of the carrier without a parachute, she was saying she doesn't fear death because she knows that her role isn't complete yet.
She doesn't fear death because she knows when she WILL die.
Jumping out of the carrier is her leap of faith, and Nyx is the form the "miracle" took. I think that was meant to be a sign showing her strength of will or something like that. Again, poorly executed.

-The scene where Luna and Regis reunite, they seemed to have more of a connection than a couple of people that hand't seen each other in 12 years, especially considering one of them appears to have been a young teen girl at the time. I got the impression that they have been in communication in the background, particularly about Noctis' role and importance in the story

I'm not dismissing the possibility that it's just terribly written, mind you, just for those holding out hope that Luna is more than just this (and I know I am) then there's still reason to believe it.

jett

D-Member
You didn't understand. Regis did not cause the death of the Lucian people. Niflheim was going to enter regardless, whether Regis accepted the peace treaty or not. He had two choices:

1) Reject the peace treaty and keep going on a war that they would eventually lose.

2) Accept the peace treaty and have a 50/50 chance of his kingdom being saved.

He wasn't sure if the treaty was a ruse. He suspected, but he had no way to be sure until Nyx told him about the Niff ships preparing to invade.

Where are you getting the "sacrifice the kingdom for his son" thing from?

He either sent his son away, or have him at the invasion to be killed alongside him, thus ending the Lucis line.

Without Noctis, Lucis will forever be under Niflheim control. Having Noctis out of the invasion at least insures that he can rebuild the Kingdom from the ashes.

He had several choices.
Could've offered unconditional surrender.
Could've set up defenses to protect the people.
Could've evacuated the city with only the army posing as a skeleton population.
If he was all in on getting the city destroyed, could've fucking at least taken out the Nifelheim leaders along with himself in a suicide attack.
He did fuck all to protect the people.
Hell, Nyx does his best to destroy the city and kill the people alongside Nifelheim with his huge-ass monster statues.
Didn't Lucis say he knew it was all bullshit, and that he took Nifelheim in so that his son could escape to Altissia and reunite with Luna there? That's how it looks anyway.
The only real moment in this movie is when for a fleeting moment Nyx realizes Lucis is a selfish asshole, but ten seconds later goes back to being his lapdog.
And why didn't he give the ring directly to Noctis anyway, what is this dumbfuckery.

Screw this kingdom. This story is garb. Versus made a lot more sense, when the attack was a genuine surprise attack.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That happened regardless with some weird mouth and facial animations.
Absolutely but even less human looking faces would've made it worse. See MOH:Warfighter for instance. They really REALLY should not have had all of the acting be done via ADR. Sincerely and utterly hurt the performances. On top of janky as hell mocap that could've used more polish especially during fight scenes. I sincerely wanna present this film as an example to my students about why it's not a good idea to make a photorealistic looking feature length film with a cast of human characters.

Top Bottom