• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Regis felt like a wasted character. They should have focused more on him rather than Nyx and his dumb friends.

That's so true. I hope the game focuses more on the relationship between the father and the son.

artsi

KotR felt flat to me because it focused on only three of them when the typical incarnation is a king and... the rest of the Knights. They're more like Warring Triad here than the KotR.

All 5 that are on the FFXV cover art are in Kingsglaive too. There are probably more in the game (as there's 13 weapons to collect, 13 KOTR) but they're not revealed yet.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/VxUK8

Voror

Regis felt like a wasted character. They should have focused more on him rather than Nyx and his dumb friends.

Yeah, this actually would have been more interesting. You could maybe have Nyx in there a bit but have the focus be on Regis and all the stuff he's dealing with. Insert that scene from the game where he sends Noctis off and actually talk a bit about this whole destiny Noctis has to fulfill rather than vaguely alluding to it.

Kieli

From reading your spoilers, this movie sounds really stupid. I'll skip and hope the game doesn't take anything away from the movie.

Calm Mind

From reading your spoilers, this movie sounds really stupid. I'll skip and hope the game doesn't take anything away from the movie.

I've watched the movie and none of the complaints registered to me because unlike many who are are entirely too invested in Final Fantasy XV anything I enjoyed what I saw for what it is and not what I wanted it to be. It certainly found it more enjoyable than Advent Children but then again I am immune to anything post Sakaguchi.

Arkeband

Banned
All 5 that are on the FFXV cover art are in Kingsglaive too. There are probably more in the game (as there's 13 weapons to collect, 13 KOTR) but they're not revealed yet.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/VxUK8

Interesting, I only saw the center 3 on the box art and from the Dawn trailer.

I guess this speaks to the garbage directing for these action scenes if I couldn't make heads or tails of how many were present.

yunbuns

I've watched the movie and none of the complaints registered to me because unlike many who are are entirely too invested in Final Fantasy XV anything I enjoyed what I saw for what it is and not what I wanted it to be. It certainly found it more enjoyable than Advent Children but then again I am immune to anything post Sakaguchi.

I agree. I was able to enjoy it for what it was despite the flaws I noticed. However, I also never got invested in Versus and don't get why people liked it so much so take that as you will. I recommend watching it on your own Kieli.

It's a dumb movie but it's still fun dude. If anything once it's available to rent give it a rent before the game release in November.

I really wish they didn't even bother to evoke FFvsXIII memories during the rooftop scene. Felt unneeded, kinda lame really. The other instance, where they have a stand off worked though. I thought that one was better integrated. Are there other scenes that emulate old FFvsXIII footage?

Overall I don't think it's a great movie on it's own. Though the three leads did a great job with their material. If you think of it as an incredibly long cutscene that leads to FFXV, it's alright. Or as a companion to FFXV it's really cool because it's a really intense perspective on the invasion. Though in the context of the game, this movie is just there to fill in the anti-climactic news paper revelation. Why not find out on TV or something? I'm sure someone could have just called Noct to tell him that shit is hitting the fan back home.

How cool would it have been if they saw news footage at an in INN or Hotel and you see some of the invasion footage straight out of the movie. That would have been awesome, even if the art styles clash.

I get that they are trying to push FFXV in different forms of media like they did with FFVII. but man it feels forced when this story beat is basically sets up events for the main game.

I wasn't that invested in Versus, I found it to be a cool concept but moved on and just wanted something out of it.
The movie on its own isn't that good for some people, this has nothing to do with bitter Versus fans or anything like that. The editing was off, the script was mediocre and the only good thing about it was the visuals.

With that said I will keep an open mind and it hasn't really dampened my interest in XV.

But there are flaws and it's fine to point them out without being labeled as someone who still pines for Versus.

Rappy

Why would you do this to yourself? Seriously I don't get it.

Because there's no option to rent and I don't want to spend $25 - 30 just to see if I maybe like a tie-in property for a game I haven't even played.
Honestly, that's the right way to go about it. Skip the game too if the story/art direction of the game matters so much to you over the actual gameplay (or if the gameplay doesn't look interesting to you at all either.
Some of you really need to let go of versus lol
I just read the entirety first post (notably what's written at the bottom of it) of this thread for the first time the other night. And I'm questioning, why are you guys setting yourself up for disappointment? Why even support the direction they're going? Obviously, it's your money and you can do whatever you want, but people are always going about not supporting things you don't like and voting with your wallet. I can go on and on about how I can see what some are saying as legitimate complaints or how they're not in my eyes (and go into detail why), but honestly every time I post I feel like it's falling on deaf ears with no compromise in sight.

I think I'm just done with FFXV threads or I'll just try to tune some of the nonsense out.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Kind of hard when there were a few references to it in the movie! And even then the scenes we saw in those old trailers and in the 2013 trailer still held more impact than anything in Kingslgaive, in my opinion. Kingsglaive had one scene I felt was well done and that's
the scene where Regis lets go of Luna's hand as they're trying to escape. It directly linked to the opening scene where she let go of his hand so that was nice imagery I suppose.

The one in which Nyx and Luna are trying to escape in the car while the traitors are chasing them seems to be a reworked version of this scene: https://youtu.be/g2en0gdL5T4?t=196

Interesting. That was a pretty good scene. I guess the only re-worked scene that didn't sit well with me was the one on the rooftop. The painting was just visible enough to remind you, by the way, we are doing a poor emulation of that scene.

It's hard not to mention it when you are trying to see what has been re-worked. I mean it's right there in the movie, of course it's gonna be discussed.

Ishida

Banned
He had several choices.
Could've offered unconditional surrender.
Could've set up defenses to protect the people.
Could've evacuated the city with only the army posing as a skeleton population.
If he was all in on getting the city destroyed, could've fucking at least taken out the Nifelheim leaders along with himself in a suicide attack.
He did fuck all to protect the people.
Hell, Nyx does his best to destroy the city and kill the people alongside Nifelheim with his huge-ass monster statues.
Didn't Lucis say he knew it was all bullshit, and that he took Nifelheim in so that his son could escape to Altissia and reunite with Luna there? That's how it looks anyway.
The only real moment in this movie is when for a fleeting moment Nyx realizes Lucis is a selfish asshole, but ten seconds later goes back to being his lapdog.
And why didn't he give the ring directly to Noctis anyway, what is this dumbfuckery.

Screw this kingdom. This story is garb. Versus made a lot more sense, when the attack was a genuine surprise attack.

Stuff like unconditional surrender wouldn't have made any difference. Niflheim was not in just to take the Crystal, their intention from the beginning was to take the Crystal, kill the Lucis line and wreck Insomnia to the ground. At no point or choice would Insomnia have been spared.

The movie makes it clear several times: Lucis was going to lose the war. There was no way in which the could have won. The King was weak, the Wall was not lasting and he wasn't able to summon the Knights of the Round.

There is one constant, no matter what: Insomnia falls, and thousands will die.

The variable is: Do we try to keep the last heir to the throne alive so he can use the power of the Lucian kings to defeat the world-consuming Empire and rebuild Lucis? Or do we allow him to die, thus dooming whatever salvageable remains of Insomnia to Imperial rule?

You make it seem as if it was either Noctis' life, or Insomnia's existence, and that Regis had to sacrifice Insomnia to save Noctis' life. This is not so. Insomnia's fall was going to take place regardless Noctis lived, or died. The FUTURE of Insomnia (And the world) actually does depend on whether Noctis survives.

Oh, and you seem to be making stuff up about Versus in your head. The situation is pretty much the same in both Versus and XV: A fake peace treaty made to destroy the barrier around Insomnia. This was stated long ago.

Kind of hard when there were a few references to it in the movie! And even then the scenes we saw in those old trailers and in the 2013 trailer still held more impact than anything in Kingslgaive, in my opinion. Kingsglaive had one scene I felt was well done and that's
the scene where Regis lets go of Luna's hand as they're trying to escape. It directly linked to the opening scene where she let go of his hand so that was nice imagery I suppose.

That was indeed a nice call back. Luna and Regis were pretty good in my opinion. You can tell that he was incredibly weakened. Though I wish he did go out with more of a bang. Luna talks boldly about duty but doesn't do too much overall in the movie. Still I feel like this movie is an interesting introduction to her character. I've liked what I've seen and heard from her, hopefully this carries, and is expanded in the game.

Nyx is wasted potential. Could have been awesome to see him in the game, maybe the old kings could have just taken his youth instead, make him a wise old man who helps Noct or something later in the game. I dunno. Sucks that all his efforts fighting off kaiju and traitors will probably be more or less forgotten in the game.

Noct has some big shoes to fill - his father rapidly aged to keep a barrier to protect his city up, while Nyx was kicking ass to make sure Luna is kept safe as well as that ring.

You make it seem as if it was either Noctis' life, or Insomnia's existence, and that Regis had to sacrifice Insomnia to save Noctis' life. This is not so. Insomnia's fall was going to take place regardless Noctis lived, or died. The FUTURE of Insomnia (And the world) actually does depend on whether Noctis survives.

I guess in that Dawn trailer makes more sense now. The king knows he is basically giving Noctis all this responsibility, and is incredibly sad about that. Man, I don't care if the new king isn't as slick as the old Nomura mafia king. Sean Bean can make any character memorable in death.

joebruin

No more comments from me about versus. 😂

I hope any supporting characters who end up in the actual game get recast lol

Well except for the Chancellor. We know he's already reprising his role. He's dope.

Ran rp

i hope they weren't uploaded to itunes like this...

Kingsglaive-23.png

Kingsglaive-20.png

jiggle

So are Regis and lucii Kings kinda dicks huh
Used nyx then tossed him aside
Probably didn't want him outshining their own spoiled brat

Ruff

I'm looking forward to the directors cut, where it turns out Gackt was behind everything.

KotR felt flat to me because it focused on only three of them when the typical incarnation is a king and... the rest of the Knights. They're more like Warring Triad here than the KotR.

It was the
Warring Triad. It is pretty obvious. Not sure why people seem to insist that the statues were KOTR. They even start out as statues, and consist of 2 masculine and 1 feminine figure like in the original for gods sake. The kings are the KOTR in this universe

Whompa02

To be fair the scenes held more impact the first time we saw it because it was fresh and new in our minds back then. Now we get to see how it's been put into a story context. Makes it hard to appreciate a scene repurposed from a concept video made 6+ years ago.

I had a few instances where I basically had flashbacks in my head of the old trailers during the film. Was super frustrating since the story bits have been chopped and skewed to something totally different.

Enthus

I'm looking forward to the directors cut, where it turns out Gackt was behind everything.

It was the
Warring Triad. It is pretty obvious. Not sure why people seem to insist that the statues were KOTR. They even start out as statues, and consist of 2 masculine and 1 feminine figure like in the original for gods sake. The kings are the KOTR in this universe

There are more than three statues, and the credits specifically call them the Knights of the Round.

Toth

And why didn't he give the ring directly to Noctis anyway, what is this dumbfuckery.

Screw this kingdom. This story is garb. Versus made a lot more sense, when the attack was a genuine surprise attack.

Well, giving the ring to Noctis would have a. made him a target b. dispelled the barrier around the city and c. robbed the Kingsglaive of their power to defend the city. Don't see the 'dumbfuckery' there...

Ruff

There are more than three statues, and the credits specifically call them the Knights of the Round.

Edit: Yeah I'm wrong.

After watching that sequence again more closely, I can see the kings do resemble the statues now. Perhaps it's a double reference, as it is still quite similar...

Cybernetic Empire

Neo Member
Just went into this movie thinking it was going to be a stinking turd thanks to the typical XV/GAF hyperbole and nitpicking in this thread. Came out enjoying it thoroughly for what it was: a feature length, bonus cutscene to a game I'm highly anticipating. Obviously, they're not going to delve too far into what the real stakes are or fully flesh out the characters. That's what the game is for and I can't wait to explore the world myself. Call me an apologist, but I liked it.

Highly entertained.

8/10

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Well that was disappointing, and this is coming from someone who enjoyed Spirits Within

Skilletor

Well, giving the ring to Noctis would have a. made him a target b. dispelled the barrier around the city and c. robbed the Kingsglaive of their power to defend the city. Don't see the 'dumbfuckery' there...

How do we know any of this is true?

They obviously had no plan to hold off the empire any further. Why couldn't Noctis hold the barrier and give the Kingsglaive their power?

They really don't explain how magic works in this well enough for me to feel like we can say with certainty what can or cannot happen.

He's already a target because he's next in line to wield the power.

Just went into this movie thinking it was going to be a stinking turd thanks to the typical XV/GAF hyperbole and nitpicking in this thread. Came out enjoying it thoroughly for what it was: a feature length, bonus cutscene to a game I'm highly anticipating. Obviously, they're not going to delve too far into what the real stakes are or fully flesh out the characters. That's what the game is for and I can't wait to explore the world myself. Call me an apologist, but I liked it.

Highly entertained.

8/10

Seems like we should absolutely give a fuck since this is what sets off the game and we have no idea what the stakes are or why we should care going in. Definitely an apologist when you wave away all criticism as "typcial GAF hyperbole nitpicking" and go on to admit that the movie does little to flesh out the character or the stakes.

jiggle

I thought the barrier was created by the crystal and kingslaive got theirs from Regis

Jackpot

Banned
I don't get the significance of Luna.

Such emphasis was placed on needing to rescue her prior to the invasion happening when she's not really that important. She's a visiting dignitary from a now-occupied foreign land where the real leaders are Empire lapdogs. What's so massively important about saving her? Even in a world where royalty is more than ceremonial she was of no consequence, yet everyone acted as if saving her and getting her to Noctis would save the kingdom. They haven't seen her for 12 years so it's not like she's a surrogate daughter.

Which brings me to my next point, what the hell are they fighting for?
The kingdom consisted of one city and it got Man of Steel'd. The film did a good job of showing how entrenched the war and bitterness is, so it's not like if you kill one crazy leader everyone converts to love and peace. And well, the bad guys had a point even if it doesn't justify their actions. Say Regis's plan went off without a hitch. Congrats you're now an isolated protectorate of a massive Empire. It wasn't really worth fighting to the death over.

And that stupid character "twist".
So the leader of the Kingsglaive is also the leader of the Empire's military. The opening attack on Luna's country shows he's an established figure of note, and that was 12 fucking years before the invasion. How did he find the time? How could he be attending the reception and making ominous remarks to Luna and be coordinating the security of Insomnia? It's plain dumb.

Whompa02

So is this movie worth checking out or not?

I highly recommend it only if you're a fan of Final Fantasy XV already. It feels like it's not really a movie and more of an elongated intro video to the game, which is great...If you're not in that realm already, it probably wont win you over.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So is this movie worth checking out or not?
Do you legitimately care about a film being good? Because it's a genuinely bad film, like the whole thing:
-bad editing
-awkward dialogue
-characters that are poorly written/not fleshed out
-lack of emotional stakes due to the above
-pretty janky animation
-terrible pacing

etc.

It's genuinely bad and it honestly didn't make me wanna play the game to find out what happens next..because I genuinely don't care.

Toth

How do we know any of this is true?

They obviously had no plan to hold off the empire any further. Why couldn't Noctis hold the barrier and give the Kingsglaive their power?

They really don't explain how magic works in this well enough for me to feel like we can say with certainty what can or cannot happen.

He's already a target because he's next in line to wield the power.

Noctis is far from ready to wield that power at this point. Also, the crystal maintains the barrier, yes, but the ring is needed to control the crystal apparently

Philippo

So are Regis and lucii Kings kinda dicks huh
Used nyx then tossed him aside
Probably didn't want him outshining their own spoiled brat

Well this alone could be a pretty big theme in the game story,
of going against the will of higher beings using humans as tools.

Top Bottom