• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's a much better videogame movie than Silent Hill: Revelation.

It's a much better videogame movie than Silent Hill: Revelation.

IHVGRH9.jpg

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
If you plan on playing FFXV: Yes.

Even then, the previous trailers of Versus made reference of the events that happened in the film - so it's not even a new experience per se lol

Lynx_7

This is my favorite trainwreck since Code Geass R2. The action scenes in particular were like trying to remember a fading dream. You can understand the general layout of what's (supposed to be) happening on screen but the scenes themselves are so disjointed and abstract that you can't actually get a solid grasp on what's going on. Nyx and the Evangelions kept teleporting and throwing punches or whatever and I couldn't tell you what the hell they were doing but the concept certainly seemed impressive in theory.
Oh, and Luna was underwhelming, but I was expecting that.

I genuinely enjoyed it though. The concepts were cool and I wanna see more of the world and the villains
(Ravus kinda sucks though, why the hell was him blaming Regis while sucking up to the guys that actually killed his mother?)
. I'm more hyped for the game now.

Skilletor

Noctis is far from ready to wield that power at this point. Also, the crystal maintains the barrier, yes, but the ring is needed to control the crystal apparently

How do we know this?

People keep saying things like it's fact, and I feel like they're assuming stuff or I missed in the movie.

I feel like the magic was terribly explained in the movie.

Watched it on the cinema today. I think it's a good popcorn movie. It's definitely nice to look at, but the movie failed to get me invested in the lore of the game.

suzu

I thought this was ok as a prologue to FFXV, but as an actual movie? Meh.

What I dislike the most is that a lot of the scenes felt disjointed and there are way too many fade to black moments.

Out of the characters, I only found Nyx and Ardyn interesting. Libertus is terrrrrrible.

Go_Ly_Dow

It was pretty bad. Tabata sucks for taking such a spectacle out of the game. This would have been enjoyable to watch unfold in game format, but as a motion picture of sorts it was just messy as fuck.

Some plot points did make me more excited for the game, but at the same time I've also become more skeptical of Tabata's decision making and artistic vision.

Nomura didn't design Nyx. That concept one is way better than the version we ended up with though...

It's still a mullet.

Some of you really need to let go of versus lol

The problem is that XV has made Versus look more interesting in comparison. Versus was never really on my radar until the 2011 and 2013 trailers which seemed to show an interesting world with a dramatic flair. There were details about the story that were interesting. What does the current XV have to offer in its place?

Kingsglaive has given us a "chosen one" narrative. The FNC was designed to lift this from early FF titles and turn it on its head. Will XV?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's still a mullet.

The problem is that XV has made Versus look more interesting in comparison. Versus was never really on my radar until the 2011 and 2013 trailers which seemed to show an interesting world with a dramatic flair. There were details about the story that were interesting. What does the current XV have to offer in its place?

Kingsglaive has given us a "chosen one" narrative. The FNC was designed to lift this from early FF titles and turn it on its head. Will XV?
CGI and target render videos tend to look more interesting than an actual game...Versus XIII would have always disappointed once they had to do the whole "game" part.

aceface

So correct me if I'm wrong here but (story spoilers)
Did Regis just bring down the wall around the city and it seems like sacrifice the lives of thousands of innocent civilians just as a diversion to keep Noctis safe so they wouldn't find out where he is? Because he thinks Noctis can save the world and bring down the Empire? If so, that's a lot for Noctis to live up to.

Toth

It's still a mullet.

I don't know.....FF XIII Versus never existed in 'playable' form and aside from the brief Famitsu trailer showing outside locations, all of the game's concepts looked just like the ones in the movie. Even the famous scene of Noctus in the car looking at the ships in the distance matches the vision of Insomnia that the movie brought to life.

I think Tabata is right to ask people to stop romanticizing Versus footage.

So correct me if I'm wrong here but (story spoilers) Did Regis just bring down the wall around the city and it seems like sacrifice the lives of thousands of innocent civilians just as a diversion to keep Noctis safe so they wouldn't find out where he is? Because he thinks Noctis can save the world and bring down the Empire? If so, that's a lot for Noctis to live up to.

It was unfortunately inevitable because the Empire had won. Regis couldn't evacuate the city: half the city supported the treaty and where would the citizens even go? Regis played his only cards: He got his son out before the signing, hoping that he was just being overly cautious and that Iedolas would keep his word and Insomnia would be safe. This would ensure a king of Lucis would survive and reclaim the sealed power within the ring. His gamble pays off. It's just unfortunate Glauco no doubt told Ardyn where the prince was headed.

JinnAxel

Neo Member
So correct me if I'm wrong here but (story spoilers)
Did Regis just bring down the wall around the city and it seems like sacrifice the lives of thousands of innocent civilians just as a diversion to keep Noctis safe so they wouldn't find out where he is? Because he thinks Noctis can save the world and bring down the Empire? If so, that's a lot for Noctis to live up to.

The wall around the city went down when Niflheim stole the crystal. This was done after the diversion created by Libertus and the revolutionaries caused enough panic for Niflheim soldiers to steal the crystal. After everything went south, that's when Regis bet all his chips on Noctis.

Regis wasn't able to call upon the old wall (the Knights of the Round) because he didn't have the strength to both maintain the new wall and activate the old wall.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I don't know.....FF XIII Versus never existed in 'playable' form and aside from the brief Famitsu trailer showing outside locations, all of the game's concepts looked just like the ones in the movie. Even the famous scene of Noctus in the car looking at the ships in the distance matches the vision of Insomnia that the movie brought to life.

I think Tabata is right to ask people to stop romanticizing Versus footage.

It was unfortunately inevitable because the Empire had won. Regis couldn't evacuate the city: half the city supported the treaty and where would the citizens even go? Regis played his only cards: He got his son out before the signing, hoping that he was just being overly cautious and that Iedolas would keep his word and Insomnia would be safe. This would ensure a king of Lucis would survive and reclaim the sealed power within the ring. His gamble pays off. It's just unfortunate Glauco no doubt told Ardyn where the prince was headed.
We know from interviews at least some it was playable. Stop making things up.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Go_Ly_Dow

The tone and style in that Versus 2011 CG was absolutely perfect. It's a shame the movie didn't give me the same kind of vibe as that. I was expecting it! :(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I think if whatever was playable about Versus was actually really good, it wouldn't have been canned.

Haha true. I specifically remember Nomura at E3 2013 complaining about PS3 hardware not being enough for the car to run smoothly on the world map.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Orayn

I've been thinking about this movie since seeing it on Saturday night.

Kingsglaive is not a good film, but it's bad in a way that my mind fails to parse. The gaffes are so weird and obvious that I don't have time to fully process them and I wind up only being able to perceive the few things that do work well. It's not "so bad it's good," it's "so bad I can't properly recognize it as bad."

sappyday

They did Crow so wrong.
An amazing character design wasted, just like that.

Is it really an amazing character design? They just got a attractive actress and modeled her face after it.

Tbh I have a problem when most games do this. I love how ND does it.

duckroll

In Tabata's version, the game starts after the events portrayed in the KINGSLAIVE film, but if I'm not mistaken, in Nomura's version, a few of those events were featured or playable in Versus like the party scene with the fireworks.

Just odd.

In a game that was cancelled, certain things happened. In a new game which is actually coming out, certain things happen a different way. How is it odd?

Socivol

Just watched this again tonight.
Ardyn is definitely up to something. His concern about the destruction of Insomnia was just very odd.

Socivol

those people are wrong and need to start understanding that.

Agreed I think that people also need to remove any thoughts of anything that we have seen from the Versus trailers as well. It seems the only thing that really carried over were the characters. On another note, Idealoas has been in a ton of media for the game but we have yet to see him in-game unless I am mistaken.

JBwB

To some people FF XV = FF Versus XIII

Those people need to get over that. I loved all the footage from FFvXIII as well but you have to know when to move on lol.

Just watched this again tonight.
Ardyn is definitely up to something. His concern about the destruction of Insomnia was just very odd.

Ardyn is giving me massive end boss vibes
after watching the film. He's a very peculiar character indeed.

In a game that was cancelled, certain things happened. In a new game which is actually coming out, certain things happen a different way. How is it odd?

They had a decent plan and then canned it for one that totally blew, essentially. It really makes me question Tabata's direction for the game in general when I feel Kingsglaive would have been far more effective as a segment in the game and when I see stuff like Chapter 0 replacing it. For the most part, I'm willing to blame how bad Kingsglaive itself was on Nozue but the creative choices for the XV project in general seem really strange given the easily understood alternatives.

vio

World they created is really impressive, i wished there is a quality movie about it. This was not it. Story is shit, editing is annoying and ending keeps going on forever.

Beautiful movie though, so it was worth watching it for that alone. I`d like a proper action game in this world. Warpstrike looks so badass in the movie.

wojtasz

Banned
They did Crowe so wrong.
An amazing character design wasted, just like that.

Wasted or not
her death had a greater impact being so sudden. And damn that melted makeup after crying.

never has a digital character with so little screen time made me care

duckroll

I think it's really easy to see why Insomnia was cut from FFXV. They are making an open world game, which means the production pipeline benefits most when all designed areas are reusable to extend content via questing, exploring, and hunting. Spending more time and money on a fully playable city area for an opening act which will never be used again is a cool idea, but also the sort of cool idea which is the first to be axed if you're trimming fat on a project that needs to be streamlined.

Whatever they replaced the opening with might be worse, but that's just poor design of the replacement content, it doesn't mean that the decision to trim something like this out of the design spec wasn't a logical choice.

I think it's really easy to see why Insomnia was cut from FFXV. They are making an open world game, which means the production pipeline benefits most when all designed areas are reusable to extend content via questing, exploring, and hunting. Spending more time and money on a fully playable city area for an opening act which will never be used again is a cool idea, but also the sort of cool idea which is the first to be axed if you're trimming fat on a project that needs to be streamlined.

Whatever they replaced the opening with might be worse, but that's just poor design of the replacement content, it doesn't mean that the decision to trim something like this out of the design spec wasn't a logical choice.

But Insomnia is a playable area in the game later on down the line as well, when the party returns to reclaim it. Would it really meet those criteria then, too? Just make the opening fairly linear like I assume the attempt to retake the city would be and what exactly is the problem? You're reusing assets, you're keeping a climactic, crowd-pleasing opening (rather than the baffling Chapter 0) and you're more clearly establishing an end goal for the player by having them experience Insomnia and see what they're fighting for. The city is already being used as an area and the enemies themselves are well-defined and present throughout most of the rest of the game so it wouldn't even call for a lot in the way of asset creation. As it is, the choice to split the invasion into Kingsglaive and instead elect to have the core crew fighting for Insomnia and starring in XV learn about the invasion through a newspaper is just a really strange choice.

Toth

To some people FF XV = FF Versus XIII

It's unfortunate. I just can't wax poetically about how FFXV will never reach the ambitions of FFXIIIVersus' when AGAIN we never saw much of the game in motion outside of brief trailers. Given how convoluted KH lore has become under Nomura, this may be a good thing.

But Insomnia is a playable area in the game later on down the line as well, when the party returns to reclaim it. Would it really meet those criteria then, too? Just make the opening fairly linear like I assume the attempt to retake the city would be and what exactly is the problem? You're reusing assets, you're keeping a climactic, crowd-pleasing opening (rather than the baffling Chapter 0) and you're more clearly establishing an end goal for the player by having them experience Insomnia and see what they're fighting for. The city is already being used as an area and the enemies themselves are well-defined and present throughout most of the rest of the game so it wouldn't even call for a lot in the way of asset creation. As it is, the choice to split the invasion into Kingsglaive and instead elect to have the core crew fighting for Insomnia and starring in XV learn about the invasion through a newspaper is just a really strange choice.

Given how 13 started in the middle of a big conflict and never gave the player a chance to breath and take in what was happening, I think the more relaxed feel of XV's opening will allow a better buildup. Opening the game in a large environment like Insomnia would probably be too overwhelming. As it stands, I figure the last sections of the game will take place like FF13's Eden section, hopefully with a little more openness to explore for special items and such.

Dark_castle

The most offensive part of Kingsglaive how
they killed off Crowe for good, whom I think is an excellent female design and an intriguing character in general.
Can we trade Prompto for Crowe please? :(

Zoe

The most offensive part of Kingsglaive how
they killed off Crowe for good, whom I think is an excellent female design and an intriguing character in general.
Can we trade Prompto for Crowe please? :(

What's so intriguing about Crowe? She's just a mage.

Dark_castle

Kingsglaive also suffers from "fanservice" though.
Knights of the Round? Diamond Weapon? The latter was really random and felt more like "Hey FF7 fans, come see this film!"
Spirits Within is probably the only FF movie that really doesn't lean on that at all.

To be fair, you're a fan of XIV and that game isn't quite short of "fanservice" as well. Hey FF7 fans, come play this game! We have gold saucer!".

Top Bottom