• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
What's so intriguing about Crowe? She's just a mage.

Not sure, she had zero character development.

To be fair, you're a fan of XIV and that game isn't quite short of "fanservice" as well. Hey FF7 fans, come play this game! We have gold saucer!".

That stuff isn't central to the story though. It just extra stuff you can do in the game that's tailored to the XIV world.

I really liked her design and she was 'hot' but the actual movie had nothing on her, so yeh, I agree.

If only she had a character written for her, because whatever it was in the movie was absolutely terrible.

Kingsglaive also suffers from "fanservice" though.
Knights of the Round? Diamond Weapon? The latter was really random and felt more like "Hey FF7 fans, come see this film!"
Spirits Within is probably the only FF movie that really doesn't lean on that at all.
Well to be honest, they integrated them really well in the movie. If they had just randomly thrown the KOTR summon like they did with Ultros, I would have agreed.

The Lucis Kings being KOTR was a nice touch and resulted in a Pacific Rim type final battle.

Kingsglaive also suffers from "fanservice" though.
Knights of the Round? Diamond Weapon? The latter was really random and felt more like "Hey FF7 fans, come see this film!"
Spirits Within is probably the only FF movie that really doesn't lean on that at all.

They're just making sure some stuff is already modeled so they can reuse the assets for the VII Remake. Very efficient.

Oh boy do I have bad news for you...

Er, do you? I'm pretty sure this is completely confirmed. I don't expect the area to be open or explorable (in fact Tabata says it isn't) but making the opening as linear as the climax wouldn't be a problem for me. Most Final Fantasies open very linearly.

Subaru

This movie is a mess, bad dialogues, bad writing, TERRIBLE editing... ,but I've enjoyed =P

The sad part is that I've just realized that Tabata really cut everything that Nomura showed us. I know that NONE of the gameplay we saw seems good as 2011 or 2013 trailer,
but to see that we are not going to play in Insonmia (after 10 years of hype...) is just baffling. =(.

*At least the Insomnia before this attack with the worst script ever

Toth

That stuff isn't central to the story though. It just extra stuff you can do in the game that's tailored to the XIV world.

Well, FFXIV does have an original main story line but so much of the game is also built upon nostalgia: Don't forget the entire Crystal Tower story arc being a small remake of FF3, the Warring Triad being shoved into Heavensward (FF6), the Void Ark arc with Cait Sith and Ozma, Alexander, etc. Nothing is wrong with this, mind you, but Yoshida is clearly banking on nostalgia to sell a lot of his product. Works for me!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Well, FFXIV does have an original main story line but so much of the game is also built upon nostalgia: Don't forget the entire Crystal Tower story arc being a small remake of FF3, the Warring Triad being shoved i(FF6), the Void Ark arc with Cait Sith and Ozma, Alexander, etc. Nothing is wrong with this ind you, but Yoshida is clearly banking on nostalgia to sell a lot of his product. Works for me!

All of those things are side quests not included in the main scenario though. Yeah FFXIV likes to add those things but typically done in a way that makes sense with regards to the lore and designed to fit the FFXIV world. I wouldn't say Alexander is really a fanservice element though since he usually exists in every FF in some form. Warring Triad isn't shoved in either, they're tied to the Allagans who enslaved them in Azys Lla.

Dark_castle

What's so intriguing about Crowe? She's just a mage.

1. She's an older, more experienced type of female character, who gets a big plus from me, as I prefer them over young, petite female teens (loli) like how most girls are potrayed in most Japanese media.

2. She is a strong yet a vulnerable character with insecurities and flaws in in her design and characteristics that makes her really felt like a grounded, well-realized character DESPITE how little lines and screen time she was given. She also seems like she's actually got some personality and social life with actual group of platonic friends, like a regular woman in real life.

3. Her character design is hot (hey, I'm a guy too!), but she wasn't over-sexualized like say Cidney, her casual wear are much more reasonable with a cute tank top to show off her natural curves, and a skin tight jeans that cover her lower half. Nothing overly exposed, but still shows some skin in her upper body. I like it.

Crowe is one of the most well-realized albeit short-lived female character Square Enix has ever created in recent memory.

Krabboss

1. She's an older, more experienced type of female character, who gets a big plus from me, as I prefer them over young, petite female teens (loli) like how most girls are potrayed in most Japanese media.

2. She is a strong yet a vulnerable character with insecurities and flaws in in her design and characteristics that makes her really felt like a grounded, well-realized character DESPITE how little lines and screen time she was given. She also seems like she's actually got some personality and social life with actual group of platonic friends, like a regular woman in real life.

3. Her character design is hot (hey, I'm a guy too!), but she wasn't over-sexualized like say Cidney, her casual wear are much more reasonable with a cute tank top to show off her natural curves, and a skin tight jeans that cover her lower half. Nothing overly exposed, but still shows some skin in her upper body. I like it.

Crowe is one of the most well-realized albeit short-lived female character Square Enix has ever written in recent memory.

I think you're seriously exaggerating the depth of her character. She is barely a character at all.

wmlk

KotR looks really well ingrained into FFXV. We've seen hints all over the place. I don't see what the problem is.

FF has fan service all over the place, this movie has it too.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Uhh....the Heavensward Knights of the Round are literally the climax of the 3.0 MSQ, they are not in any way a sidequest

Right which is why I made a point earlier in this thread saying they just used them in a mainline title. They're also the only "fanservice" element I can recall in the Heavensward main scenario off-hand.

All of those things are side quests not included in the main scenario though. Yeah FFXIV likes to add those things but typically done in a way that makes sense with regards to the lore and designed to fit the FFXIV world. I wouldn't say Alexander is really a fanservice element though since he usually exists in every FF in some form.

Knights of the Round fits very well as it's not the first time FF has reused a summon and the Knights themselves strongly mesh with the Lucian royalty's "flavor"
but man I have to agree with you on
Diamond Weapon
. That element is so strongly tied specifically to VII and its own lore that seeing it shoved in as a seemingly random enemy for Kingsglaive was jarring.

OrionX

First time poster! Like many here, I've been following XV for a long time. I too was swept up in the Versus hype, I too placed lofty expectations on Stella's character, and I too went through the rollercoaster of emotions that come with being a Final Fantasy fan these days :p

After watching Kingsglaive, I have mixed feelings. I like that Luna seems bold and determined, but I wasn't a fan of how she
kept being manhandled and dragged along by men throughout the movie. The whole save/protect the princess thing was pretty cliche. Also, I find it ironic that Luna calls Ravus a lapdog, when they both feel like lapdogs to opposing sides to me. Luna feels like a lapdog to Noctis right now. Wanting to protect someone isn't a bad thing, but it shouldn't be Luna's single defining character trait, and that's mostly all I got from her, along with some vague allusions to saving the world.

Then there's Ravus. He's not how I imagined he would be, but I disagree with some of the hate he's getting. Ever since his reveal, I've been convinced that he would be
the main baddie. I still am, though I'm not quite as confident as before. Ravus must have felt so weak, to have his mother slaughtered in front of him like that, unable to do anything to stop it. He called out to Regis for help, the man who had basically led Niflheim to their doorstep, and his plea went unanswered as Regis fled with his son. Luna says it herself, he became consumed by a lust for power. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think he ever liked Niflheim. With few options left, he was simply using the only resource at his disposal to carve a life for himself. I don't know how Ravus knew so much about the ring, but to me it seemed like he had been planning for that moment, waiting for a chance to obtain the power he always craved. I got the impression that if the ring had accepted him, he would've tried to use that power to kill Glauca and Regis, and anyone else he'd ever held a grudge against. Maybe I'm trying too hard to justify his motivations, but I think he has potential, and after his encounter with the ring I think game-Ravus will be a changed man.

Also, I liked the parallel between
Luna letting go of Regis' hand in the intro and Regis letting go of Luna's hand before Glauca killed him. Thought it was a poignant moment.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I'm still optimistic about the game, my hype has taken me this far and I refuse to let it burn out now. Believe! :)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Knights of the Round fits very well as it's not the first time FF has reused a summon and the Knights themselves strongly mesh with the Lucian royalty's "flavor"
but man I have to agree with you on
Diamond Weapon
. That element is so strongly tied specifically to VII and its own lore that seeing it shoved in as a seemingly random enemy for Kingsglaive was jarring.

The Knights are kind of whatever in the end but Diamond Weapon and Ultros were definitely "this is cool so let's put this in here just because" moments.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
In a game that was cancelled, certain things happened. In a new game which is actually coming out, certain things happen a different way. How is it odd?

I don't want to argue about semantics but cancelled? SE displayed the FF Versus moniker transitioning into FFXV at the SONY PS4 conference - I mean the project (versus) lives through FFXV albeit with another director.

I just find the production choices displayed here and there odd given the opening or introduction we have in the game following Gamescon's footage. The events that happened in the film could have nicely fitted as a game intro, but I digress.

Edit: Your second post is great and kinda where I was trying to get at.

Subaru

I don't want to argue about semantics but cancelled? SE displayed the FF Versus moniker transitioning into FFXV at the SONY PS4 conference - I mean the project (versus) lives through FFXV albeit with another director.

I just find the production choices displayed here and there odd given the opening or introduction we have in the game following Gamescon's footage. The events that happened in the film could have nicely fitted as a game intro, but I digress.

I agree with you, specially because FFXV 2013 was still Nomura's "Versus XIII" game, totally different from Tabata's vision

(the trailer covers the kingsglaive story, well, as it was before)

duckroll

I don't want to argue about semantics but cancelled? SE displayed the FF Versus moniker transitioning into FFXV at the SONY PS4 conference - I mean the project (versus) lives through FFXV albeit with another director, another core team, another battle system, another team of writers, on another platform.

Fixed. :)

I think you're seriously exaggerating the depth of her character. She is barely a character at all.

A character that appears for 100 seconds can sometimes be better presented than one that has had 10000. Crowe may barely be in the movie, but she is likely the strongest achievement of the movie.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The only thing I miss about Versus is the original Stella-Noctis storyline (I'm pretty sure it was different that the boring one we have now with Luna). Lunafreya is god awful and I hope she isn't as useless in the game as she was in this movie. I haven't been paying much attention to the game but I am excited to play Tabata's FFXV.

OrionX

Just realized it now but I find it hilarious that
Sean Bean plays yet ANOTHER role in where his character dies.
Seriously, the guy can't catch a break haha.

Welcome to NeoGAF :)

Thanks! Been lurking a while and decided to jump in.

The only thing I miss about Versus is the original Stella-Noctis storyline (I'm pretty sure it was different that the boring one we have now with Luna). Lunafreya is god awful and I hope she isn't as useless in the game as she was in this movie. I haven't been paying much attention to the game but I am excited to play Tabata's FFXV.

Yeah, I'm trying to stay hopeful about Luna myself but the infamous scene between Stella and Noctis is what first drew me in, and I don't feel the same potential from Luna. Time will tell...

Dark_castle

I'm not saying she has a lot of depth, in fact, I'm pointing out that it's a wasted opportunity that the writers removed her from the plot so soon that she's given no chance to develop, and allowing us to know more about her. As I posted things that I liked about Crowe, she has potential to be much more, but nope, we have to see how Luna fumbles around doing jack shit, because she's the heroin princess, or Libertus and his silly rebellion group filler.

sappyday

I have to agree with you, there's not much in the way to justify their presence.

It's a FF movie so FF characters/enemies are gonna be in it? Ultros has been a couple of FFs already. Diamond Weapon has also been in other FF games (not mainline, but it's a movie and not the actual game anyways). Behemoths and Cerberus are in it as well.

Lynx_7

A character that appears for 100 seconds can sometimes be better presented than one that has had 10000. Crowe may barely be in the movie, but she is likely the strongest achievement of the movie.

Oh god, Crowe is the new Stella isn't she? Except she has even less screentime.

This is your fault Tabata. If you had a single compelling female character people wouldn't have to reach so hard.

duckroll

Top 5 Things I Miss Most From Lord Nomura-sama's Precious Versus XIII:

5) The blood spray when Noctis-ouji impales a guard with his sword in mid-air. The burst of violence showed how dark and edgy the game could have been and as an edgelord the pussification of XV to cater to moist casual gamers offends me.

4) The endless speculation and debate about how it would embrace and utilize the deep mythology of Fabula Nova Crystallis, yet another branding masterpiece from Square Enix which was sadly misunderstood by mainstream gamers who just didn't get it. Now we will never know where the lights of expiring souls go...

3) Imperial Hot memes. With the game being multiplatform now, it is an insult to the countless photoshops of Nomura-sama protecting Versus from the evil Xbot army.

2) Sad lonely Stella standing in an empty street with her back facing the camera and framed by the Tokyo skyline. ~kawaii uguu moe~

AND.....

1) Visualworks Driver-san and his amazing mouth animation. Cutting him out is a disgrace and shame. SHAME SQUARE ENIX! SHAME SHAME SHAME!

Just finished watching the movie and I was pleasantly surprised. Really made me wonder how someone could go into the game without all this background info. Also loved how they were able to recycle all the cut stuff from Versus XIII into this. Overall, it got me hyped for XV more than I already was. Can't wait to play it!

Falk

that puzzling face

Looks cool

image.php

(please don't hurt me)

Oh god, Crowe is the new Stella isn't she? Except she has even less screentime.

This is your fault Tabata. If you had a single compelling female character people wouldn't have to reach so hard.

It's at least slightly better than Stella, Crowe at least exists in the FFXV world for some period of time and her presentation within that space is relatively strong
and they kill her off to make sure she can't fall to pieces like the rest of the cast. Seriously, Luna was a tremendous disappointment when she takes pointlessly idiotic actions for vague reasons.

Aesthetics convey character, sometimes that's stronger than the words they speak.

Mariip

It's an allegory about what they did to Nomura's ideas
Funny thing is that FFXIV did the same thing, but even the destruction of FFXIV1.0 was handled better:
They had a bad game, they blew it up and made it part of the lore.

I guess the difference is that in this case they just destroyed what would be a hell of a beginning for a game because of bad judgement and budget

Finished the movie now, not as dissapointed as some people here because you killed my hype beforehand, i'm grateful for that.

Nyx was a pretty ok mc, he gets better as the movie goes on.

As for luna,
someone needs to tell tabata that being a stong protagonist isn't about doing stupid things for the sake of braveness, and saying "no" isn't a showcase of strong will if you'll let the men with are with you do whatever they want to you anyway :|

whoever did the storyboards for this should be fired, i wonder if it was the studio who makes the cgs for square enix that did this, they aren't usually that bad so i'm worried now, even the color pallete seemed off, it could've made some moments look way better, at least

Overall I think spirits within was better, that movie was bad but it made me care about the lore of the world, ffXV had such a great premise that i still can't believe this didn't get my interest at all...maybe they should've explained more about the lore, even if it spoils the game a lil bit...

I really hate how
Ardyn says to our faces that insomnia is gone, the salt on my wounds was already there befor that line

Replicant

I'm gonna fanwank that in the original FFversusXIII Luna....err, I meant Stella... was part of the invading forces, thus her fight with Noctis, probably motivated by revenge. That'd make her more interesting than someone who's hellbent on saving a guy she hasn't met in the past 12 years.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Top 5 Things I Miss Most From Lord Nomura-sama's Precious Versus XIII:

5) The blood spray when Noctis-ouji impales a guard with his sword in mid-air. The burst of violence showed how dark and edgy the game could have been and as an edgelord the pussification of XV to cater to moist casual gamers offends me.

4) The endless speculation and debate about how it would embrace and utilize the deep mythology of Fabula Nova Crystallis, yet another branding masterpiece from Square Enix which was sadly misunderstood by mainstream gamers who just didn't get it. Now we will never know where the lights of expiring souls go...

3) Imperial Hot memes. With the game being multiplatform now, it is an insult to the countless photoshops of Nomura-sama protecting Versus from the evil Xbot army.

2) Sad lonely Stella standing in an empty street with her back facing the camera and framed by the Tokyo skyline. ~kawaii uguu moe~

AND.....

1) Visualworks Driver-san and his amazing mouth animation. Cutting him out is a disgrace and shame. SHAME SQUARE ENIX! SHAME SHAME SHAME!

tumblr_n2wm4nuk9Q1tupx5lo2_500.gif

Girl knows how to work the camera.

She evokes confidence, sex appeal and intelligence. Luna bitch ain't got shit yo!

tumblr_ncferoo8BB1rqqvodo1_500.png

Zoe

I'm not saying she has a lot of depth, in fact, I'm pointing out that it's a wasted opportunity that the writers removed her from the plot so soon that she's given no chance to develop, and allowing us to know more about her. As I posted things that I liked about Crowe, she has potential to be much more, but nope, we have to see how Luna fumbles around doing jack shit, because she's the heroin princess, or Libertus and his silly rebellion group filler.
It's hard to say Crowe accomplished much more considering our first exposure to her is her failing at her job and collapsing on the ground.

Hell, Luna had more physical action (dat upper body strength) than Crowe did.

sappyday

Girl knows how to work the camera.

She evokes confidence, sex appeal and intelligence. Luna bitch ain't got shit yo!

tumblr_ncferoo8BB1rqqvodo1_500.png

The only time Stella looked great. But let's not forget even when the game was Versus she got changed. I remember when I saw her new look in the 2011 trailer and got disappointed.

Styles

I LOVE this gif. Her POWERFUL stance. The self-assertion. The way it just screams 'I KNOW I am the BADDEST BITCH IN THE WORLD'.

Ahhh, my ****ing fave.

Top Bottom