• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

Replicant

tumblr_n2wm4nuk9Q1tupx5lo2_500.gif

I LOVE this gif. Her POWERFUL stance. The self-assertion. The way it just screams 'I KNOW I am the BADDEST BITCH IN THE WORLD'.

Ahhh, my ****ing fave.

How about this look of pure hatred of hers:

tumblr_njh63u3SlB1sk2xoko9_540.gif

Deliciously Yandere. BUKKOROSE!

Mcdohl

Well, FFXIV does have an original main story line but so much of the game is also built upon nostalgia: Don't forget the entire Crystal Tower story arc being a small remake of FF3, the Warring Triad being shoved into Heavensward (FF6), the Void Ark arc with Cait Sith and Ozma, Alexander, etc. Nothing is wrong with this, mind you, but Yoshida is clearly banking on nostalgia to sell a lot of his product. Works for me!

After seeing your avatar...

Compared to XI, which is often criminally overlooked, XIV feels like a FF theme park.

Building on your argument of XIV's identity being defined a lot by nostalgia:

You missed the tons of armors and minions that are literally from other characters in the series.
The music (battle theme from FF2 is used in a small fight in the main scenario) and Terra's theme is the magitek armor mount song, which btw, is another nod. And Golden Saucer's, which is also back as a theme park, featuring Triple Triad (and its song too).
There's also Ultros, which I'm guessing it is becoming a series regular now. But on one of the fights of that questline they straight up use a FF6 song, not even remixed.
etc.

I love both games, but XI feels to me as if it has a stronger identity.

Hopefully XV does too. I think it has it though, and that's certainly throwing a lot of people off.

XIII played a bit too crazy and alienated some people (imo because the execution wasn't the best).
XIV:ARR played it too safe (understandably so after 1.0).
Will XV be a middle ground?

Joqu

Wasn't Driver-San converged into Cor?

I mean ultros and cor share a lot of character traits if you really think about it

I guess? I dunno where Cor falls on the Versus timeline tbh

did we ever find out why stella wears a skirt over a skirt over a skirt?

it's symbolic falk. it represents the three sides of the goddess etro: good, evil and Lightning

OrionX

people dont like hot FF girls getting killed like random npc.

final-fantasy-xiii-2-jihl-nabaat-and-lightning-scenario-dlc.jpg

though i remember Cid something also got killed randomly, but he at least became a crystal monster

I believed those theories that Jihl would be the Sephiroth to Lightning's Cloud. Needless to say I was disappointed lol Hopefully Aranea and Gentiana don't meet the same fate. Surely they wouldn't do it to both of them... Right guys? Right??

Calm Mind

So I just paused the movie 15 minutes in to say this is the coolest looking fucking movie I've seen in a long time....that's all

This is exactly how I felt about the whole movie. It just looks cool as fuck. Of course anyone grasping for substance in promotional material is going to feel left out. It wasn't meant for you. It was designed to entice those not already interested in FFXV to begin with. Kudos to Squenix for making me care about FFXV and shame on anyone bashing anyone who dared to enjoy something for once on NeoGAF rather than spew the same vitriol that gets dispensed here on the daily.

Dear SE

Please release a Blu Ray of all the VersusXIII CG, gameplay, art, stories, voice over clips (w subs), etc. etc.

Charge as much as the XV UCE.

Thank You.

SoulUnison

Banned
So I saw the movie and I feel like it was really, really easy to spot the "seams" where the story got shuffled around to accommodate the new vision, with Nyx being swapped in for Noctis, scenes straight out of the Versus XIII trailers and the E3 XV reveal trailer with, again, Noctis switched out for Nyx.

I'm guessing, with the way Nomura wanted XV to be a trilogy, apparently, we would have had a game with Noctis and friends on the run around Insomnia during the invasion, rescuing Luna, and more or less the same basic story beats, except that I get the feeling that Ravus was possibly being set up to be the "end of Part 1" boss, and now his part is reduced to being rejected by the ring.

The best scenes *and* dialog in the move, by FAR, were any time Regis and the Emperor Aldercapt, interacted.
There's about a 30 second chunk of the beginning of the party scene when Somnus begins and the pair trade veiled pleasantries that's a brief flash of everything I've ever wanted Final Fantasy to be. Aldercapt's actor has a regal, whimsical danger to him, and his theatrical animations are a pleasure to watch.

I must say, though, I don't really understand the point of the "thief anecdote" during the treaty signing. I thought it was going to be setting up a plot point where Niflheim used Luna to feint Lucis into making some sort of political error or military action that they could use as an excuse for action or a false flag, but in the end it mostly just seemed to be overly flowery dialog signifying not much of anything? I'm not sure if that exchange is going over my head or if there's just nothing there to grasp.

Dark_castle

Not taking credits away from Kingsglaive, I think Nyx is a good addition to the universe of XV. He doesn't have much of a personality but he gets the job done, and his design is pretty darn solid in my opinion.

Tyaren

So I saw the movie and I feel like it was really, really easy to spot the "seams" where the story got shuffled around to accommodate the new vision, with Nyx being swapped in for Noctis, scenes straight out of the Versus XIII trailers and the E3 XV reveal trailer with, again, Noctis switched out for Nyx.

I'm guessing, with the way Nomura wanted XV to be a trilogy, apparently, we would have had a game with Noctis and friends on the run around Insomnia during the invasion, rescuing Luna, and more or less the same basic story beats, except that I get the feeling that Ravus was possibly being set up to be the "end of Part 1" boss, and now his part is reduced to being rejected by the ring.

Thought so too. The claim that nothing was cut out of the game's story to make this film and that both are pretty much autonomous stories is imo baloney.
After they dissected Versus XIII, changed it up and patched it back together they probably realized they couldn't have that section in the game anymore (game was too extensive or/and and they could generate some extra profit) and made this movie out of it. No wonder the game's beginning seems so sudden and stilted.
I wonder how they are going to address some of the points of the film that simply have to be addressed in the game...

Not taking credits away from Kingsglaive, I think Nyx is a good addition to the universe of XV. He doesn't have much of a personality but he gets the job done, and his design is pretty darn solid in my opinion.

Pretty darn solid... ;)

giphy.gif

sappyday

I found it funny that the Audi is Noctis', and Drautos was just driving it around. Maybe the game isn't about saving the world from Nilf, but a JRPG version of "Dude, Where's My Car?"

//DEVIL//

I just watched it. Luna is the worst thing in this whole thing. Her role was very stupid . No emotions . No purpose . No feelings. She was like A robot . God she was horrible

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
The invasion was probably a Midgar moment. We would have played as the party for a third of the game just in the city and maybe in the regions around the area before the invasion happens. Then it's them escaping the city and setting off to do whatever that was going to happen. That version probably died when they decided to go all the way out to do an open world. It wouldn't make sense to create an Insomnia that gets locked out of the game 30 or 40 percent into the game. Maybe when it wasn't open world it was ok since it would have required less work.

The invasion was probably a Midgar moment. We would have played as the party for a third of the game just in the city and maybe in the regions around the area before the invasion happens. Then it's them escaping the city and setting off to do whatever that was going to happen. That version probably died when they decided to go all the way out to do an open world. It wouldn't make sense to create an Insomnia that gets locked out of the game 30 or 40 percent into the game. Maybe when it wasn't open world it was ok since it would have required less work.

Midgar isn't a third of VII, but it was probably maybe to invoke a similar feeling to midgar - especially leaving midgar.

I find it hard to imagine it being more than a few hours of the original plan for versus, either.

SoulUnison

Banned
I feel like everyone's misreading Luna.
She's supposed to be an oracle, right?

She's not being callous or capricious - she has knowledge of the future, maybe some event she knows she'll be present for, that she's so certain of that she knows she's basically invincible at any point in time before the moment she's seen. She can do stuff like jump out of a flying airship because she knows something, no matter how ridiculous or implausible, has to intervene and save her. It's basically just a law of the universe.

I think that's the angle they're coming from with Luna being "strong."
She's fearless because she knows nothing can touch her until she lets it.

Luna's going to be the girl of faith and duty, while Noctis is going to be a boy of instinct and attachment.

Luna knows when she's going to die, she knows it's going to be necessary, and Noct's going to hate her for willfully marching towards it and, ultimately, going through with it.
"Who knows? Maybe Luna had it right."

Replicant

Agree. His lack of personality can be blamed to the lousy script, which also makes everything else looks either bland/underwritten (Luna, Regis) or trashy over-the-top (Ardyn). But I definitely prefer seeing him than seeing another Gackt clone.

joebruin

Thought so too. The claim that nothing was cut out of the game's story to make this film and that both are pretty much autonomous stories is imo baloney.
After they dissected Versus XIII, changed it up and patched it back together they probably realized they couldn't have that section in the game anymore (game was too extensive or/and and they could generate some extra profit) and made this movie out of it. No wonder the game's beginning seems so sudden and stilted.
I wonder how they are going to address some of the points of the film that simply have to be addressed in the game...

Pretty darn solid... ;)

giphy.gif

this scene confused me. made me think that there were two different people in the room. feet+boots and because you can't see that nyx has his pants rolled up until the end. lol

Dark_castle

Cool thing about Midgar in FFVII was you actually get to explore it, following the storyline while going through various parts of the giant, metropolitan city with small, atmospheric towns with unique "shops" and dungeons alike. It was fantastic.

What do we get in XV? Oh right, cutscene and then a big, flat desert and field area for player to do fetch quests and errand running in. XV really had some of the worst opening hours of the game in the franchise since VI from what we've seen.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Cool thing about Midgar in FFVII was you actually get to explore it, following the storyline while going through various parts of the giant, metropolitan city with small, atmospheric towns with unique "shops" and dungeons alike. It was fantastic.

What do we get in XV? Oh right, cutscene and then a big, flat desert and field area for player to do fetch quests and errand running in. XV really had some of the worst opening hours of the game in the franchise since VI from what we've seen.

smh

joebruin

can't be worse than 13

Good thing FFVI is usually considered the best in the series ;)

But it can't be the worst. We have so many people play the opening hours and post positive impressions about it. It won Best RPG at both E3 and Gamescom based on these opening hours. There is no way to judge it from watching 50 minute gameplay video as the story and the sense of exploration/progress is basically gone with just watching the heavily cut/edited video.

Dark_castle

Good thing FFVI is usually considered the best in the series ;)

But it can't be the worst. We have so many people play the opening hours and post positive impressions about it. It won Best RPG at both E3 and Gamescom based on these opening hours. There is no way to judge it from watching 50 minute gameplay video as the story and the sense of exploration/progress is basically gone with just watching the heavily cut/edited video.

The previews and impressions for FFXIII were generally pretty positive too. Look what happens.

The previews and impressions for FFXIII were generally pretty positive too. Look what happens.
You know, back when FFXIII was released, I wasn't that active on forums and usually got my news from gaming websites. I remember that the biggest criticism against FFXIII was its linearity and how it took so long for the game to properly start (20 hours AFAIK). It was not that bad for its battle system so if the previews were based on some demo, they would have enjoyed it.

From what we have seen of FFXV, there is no reason to worry about this point. The story portion was a mess in XIII because of how it was all presented, nothing made any sense. It remains to be seen if FFXV has a much simpler and better story.

You know, back when FFXIII was released, I wasn't that active on forums and usually got my news from gaming websites. I remember that the biggest criticism against FFXIII was its linearity and how it took so long for the game to properly start (20 hours AFAIK). It was not that bad for its battle system so if the previews were based on some demo, they would have enjoyed it.

From what we have seen of FFXV, there is no reason to worry about this point. The story portion was a mess in XIII because of how it was all presented, nothing made any sense. It remains to be seen if FFXV has a much simpler and better story.

"Simple" could turn out to be simply "dull."

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

I beg to differ. The starting areas and things to do, based on the previews and gameplay videos have been quite positive for me. At least the first 3 chapters seem interesting enough. My main worry is the IQ.

With XIII, we barely got any gameplay videos. We didn't know that there would be only corridors and no towns.

But back to the movie, I feel that they should have used it to explain the concepts more.
Luna's place as an oracle should have been more focused. They needed to expand on what it destiny meant. They should have talked about the plague of the stars and why Noctis is the one who can save the world. And not just Lucis. And not be ambivalent about it. Also, I need to watch it again. Totally thought the old wall was a literal wall, the same one seen in the opening of the game when they were pushing the car. I thought they were referring to a much bigger wall that covers not only Insomnia but more of Lucis and not the KOTR statues.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Midgar isn't a third of VII, but it was probably maybe to invoke a similar feeling to midgar - especially leaving midgar.

I find it hard to imagine it being more than a few hours of the original plan for versus, either.

It was probably smaller than expected. Unless they had Noctis go on more adventures around Lucis before the invasion. Regis could have sent him on trial to get some of the royal arms with the possibility of an invasion happening. They could have spent that time brewing the undertones more and letting you explore a Lucis that is afraid of Niflhem, a Lucis beyond Insomnia.

I feel like everyone's misreading Luna.
She's supposed to be an oracle, right?

She's not being callous or capricious - she has knowledge of the future, maybe some event she knows she'll be present for - maybe her own death - that she's so certain of that she knows she's basically invincible at any point in time before the moment she's seen. She can do stuff like jump out of a flying airship because she knows something, no matter how ridiculous or implausible, has to intervene and save her. It's basically just a law of the universe.

I think that's the angle they're coming from with Luna being "strong."
She's fearless because she knows nothing can touch her until she lets it.

Like I said they should have emphasis the oracle part of Luna. It was not even mentioned.

It was probably smaller than expected. Unless they had Noctis go on more adventures around Lucis before the invasion. Regis could have sent him on trial to get some of the royal arms with the possibility of an invasion happening. They could have spent that time brewing the undertones more and letting you explore a Lucis that is afraid of Niflhem, a Lucis beyond Insomnia.

Like I said they should have emphasis the oracle part of Luna. It was not even mentioned.

I guess it depends on where the driver-san scene fit into things.

"Simple" could turn out to be simply "dull."
The world that they teased in Kingsglaive doesn't sound 'dull' to me.

I mean it is not like we are just collecting weapons. From what we have seen, there is the story with the
ring and the lucis kings
along with the potential of the
plague of the stars
that will fundamentally change a lot of the aspects of the story.

golem

This has to be one of the worst things ive ever seen LOL.

Going to watch the Versus XIII trailer a few times to wash this foul taste out of my mouth

The world that they teased in Kingsglaive doesn't sound 'dull' to me.

I mean it is not like we are just collecting weapons. From what we have seen, there is the story with the
ring and the lucis kings
along with the potential of the
plague of the stars
that will fundamentally change a lot of the aspects of the story.
Hopefully something is able to prevent the game from being a repeat of FFXII.

Ruff

The part where
Nyx and Glauca clash swords just as Yojimbo punches Diamond weapon right it's stupid face on either side of them
was pretty sweet though.

Top Bottom