• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Watched it on local cinema
My impression
- CG looks sweet but the fighting choreography and camera work during action scene is hard to follow.
- I like the acting and character design, Nyx is your regular cool character. Not much depth, but he is a fun character to watch.
- Luna is just there, but the last part
where she part wit libertus made me chuckle. She said she parted with great warrior when it's really about Libertus being a fugitive
- Does it work as a stand alone film? Well, not really. It's a supplementary movie to familiarize the audience with ffxv setting. Then there's that tease after the credit...
- OST are awesome btw 10 years in the making, at least they nail the music.

Kingsglaive also suffers from "fanservice" though.
Knights of the Round? Diamond Weapon? The latter was really random and felt more like "Hey FF7 fans, come see this film!"
Spirits Within is probably the only FF movie that really doesn't lean on that at all.

And Spirits Within is pretty fucking terrible and basically has no reason to be called Final Fantasy whatsoever. Hell, its lack of fanservice is, I'm certain, some part of why it failed.

I still remember how annoyed I was that this big Final Fantasy movie was finally happening, but instead of being a Final Fantasy movie, it's a mediocre science fiction movie.

Watched it on local cinema
My impression
- CG looks sweet but the fighting choreography and camera work during action scene is hard to follow.
- I like the acting and character design, Nyx is your regular cool character. Not much depth, but he is a fun character to watch.
- Luna is just there, but the last part
where she part wit libertus made me chuckle. She said she parted with great warrior when it's really about Libertus being a fugitive
- Does it work as a stand alone film? Well, not really. It's a supplementary movie to familiarize the audience with ffxv setting. Then there's that tease after the credit...
- OST are awesome btw 10 years in the making, at least they nail the music.

What tease? Didn't stay for the credits.

Cynar

Cool thing about Midgar in FFVII was you actually get to explore it, following the storyline while going through various parts of the giant, metropolitan city with small, atmospheric towns with unique "shops" and dungeons alike. It was fantastic.

What do we get in XV? Oh right, cutscene and then a big, flat desert and field area for player to do fetch quests and errand running in. XV really had some of the worst opening hours of the game in the franchise since VI from what we've seen.

What is wrong with you? Really?

Cool thing about Midgar in FFVII was you actually get to explore it, following the storyline while going through various parts of the giant, metropolitan city with small, atmospheric towns with unique "shops" and dungeons alike. It was fantastic.

What do we get in XV? Oh right, cutscene and then a big, flat desert and field area for player to do fetch quests and errand running in. XV really had some of the worst opening hours of the game in the franchise since VI from what we've seen.

Oh you, please do tell me more! You see I've got to wait until the 29th of November to play this and have an actual opinion!

Gotta agree with some of the criticism surrounding Luna. Her character in Kingsglaive didn't really meet my expectations =/

I can't put my finger on it but she kept reminding me of some actress.

hichanbis

Banned
Kingsglaive was ok.
While it has some problems (mainly its scenario which does'nt make sense here and there), it confirmed that the universe is really appealing and stylized, and, afaic, I can't wait for the game's release now.

The problem with it though, is that it is technically what should have been the intro of FFXV.
When you read in the previews of FFXV that the game starts with the heroes reading about insomnia's attack in the newspaper you can't help but think that it was actually removed from the game for the movie, at least the initial vision.

Jinketsu

The Garleans in FFXIV are probably written worse - they're supposedly this looming menace but they set up like four tiny strongholds staffed by around twelve people each and then wonder how they lost to these hippies and adventurers while they sit around doing nothing for like two years while those same hippies and adventurers are knee deep in pissed off dragons, ancient evils and fuckers from the moon.

At least FFXV's empire is a believable active threat.

Totally agree, and that's on whoever took over as the main scenario writer after Tanaka was replaced with Yoshida. 1.x had such an amazing story going for it that Yoshida did a pretty great job continuing and closing as a chapter.... but then A Realm Reborn happened and everything went a completely different direction - and the Empire as a threat turned more into an aloof gang of Bulks and Skulls. It's a very hard game to stay committed to as a player from 1.x that enjoyed that version of the game more than 2.0 and on. Keep in mind while they're dumb in 2.0, they do still own the majority of the continent and outlying lands.

FFXV's Niflheim Empire is malms and yalms beyond FFXIV's Garlean Empire today because they are the focused threat we're having to deal with, much like in FFXIV 1.x. I'm hoping they wind up being more of a threat than just "here is an airship that will drop off a few mechanical soldiers during your adventure; and a stronghold or two."

Finally saw it.

Excuse me but what the hell?

What a compelling, incredible opening to a game this would have been. Right up there with the best openings of any game ever. I mean from the tension the treaty would bring, to a potential car minigame, to all the epic scale.

And no I am not talking about VXIII opening...I speak for what I saw in this movie itself.

Anyway the film itself had an emotional core that resonated with me. I almost teared up in certain scenes. Some of the writing was very good actually...some of it made me want to vomit due to the cringe (and I can take cringe). Editing was meh, the visuals I was actually mostly disappointed with..it is downright ugly in places. 5/10 as a movie.

However it has made me want to retake the throne & even more excited for XV. if I saw this intense film right before playing the game...the opening of the game being so laidback would actually be a great thing!

I think there is a big lesson to be learnt with this game.

Sometimes less is more. Sometimes less is okay. Tabata must have thought he needed to create a fully explorable insomnia that is being destroyed that you need to get out of for this opening or something. I really do not see how they skipped on creating the invasion opening for the game to make this. I simply do not understand if they kept it linear why they could not have pulled it off? Allow us to explore 2 small areas...end the day...bring us to the invasion party scene...then keep it a linear escape...end of. *rolls eyes* . The amount of resources wasted on this film, the mobile game, VR game bla bla had they put into that I'm sure they could achieve it.

Rikudo

Banned
Bad movie. Ravus is a fucking idiot. Luna was a boring damsel in distress. Editing was garbage. Nyx has a nice ass atleast.

Fledz

Watched this last night. I enjoyed it, some of the characters were very likeable but the story was way too fast paced and the quick cuts don't do it any favours.
It made me want to get the game but then I realised it's not on PC, so maybe one day I'll play it if I ever get a PS4 with a large back catalogue (like I did with PS3). Maybe.

Really liked Nyx so shame you can't play as him. The four after the credits looked super lame at first sight.

artsi

However it has made me want to retake the throne & even more excited for XV. if I saw this intense film right before playing the game...the opening of the game being so laidback would actually be a great thing!

If the movie did something it really made me want to return to the world as Noctis and kick the smug emperor's bony old ass.

Anyway, if my guess is right that will happen rather soon as he seems to fill the role of Shinra (FF7), Deling (FF8) and Brahne (FF9) and the real villain steps in after that.

hichanbis

Banned
Tabata must have thought he needed to create a fully explorable insomnia that is being destroyed that you need to get out of for this opening or something. I really do not see how they skipped on creating the invasion opening for the game to make this. I simply do not understand if they kept it linear why they could not have pulled it off? Allow us to explore 2 small areas...end the day...bring us to the invasion party scene...then keep it a linear escape...end of. *rolls eyes* . The amount of resources wasted on this film, the mobile game, VR game bla bla had they put into that I'm sure they could achieve it.

Because gamers are stupid and want everything open world because ...reasons.
So we ended up with something that would be too costly to make fully explorable, extracted to a movie...which ended up to be actually quite costly.
You can always count on SE to take bright decisions.

True Fire

tumblr_n2wm4nuk9Q1tupx5lo2_500.gif

I LOVE this gif. Her POWERFUL stance. The self-assertion. The way it just screams 'I KNOW I am the BADDEST BITCH IN THE WORLD'.

Ahhh, my ****ing fave.

I'd buy three copies of the game to get that outfit as DLC. It's so simple, but so iconic. I can't believe Tabata threw it away to turn Luna into a generic princess character.

Kingsglaive was ok.
While it has some problems (mainly its scenario which does'nt make sense here and there), it confirmed that the universe is really appealing and stylized, and, afaic, I can't wait for the game's release now.

The problem with it though, is that it is technically what should have been the intro of FFXV.
When you read in the previews of FFXV that the game starts with the heroes reading about insomnia's attack in the newspaper you can't help but think that it was actually removed from the game for the movie, at least the initial vision.
It was originally going to be the opening to VXIII.

Is there any way I can watch this in Japanese with subs? Now that the digital version is out in both regions I want to watch it, but I think I'd prefer to see it in Japanese.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
And Spirits Within is pretty fucking terrible and basically has no reason to be called Final Fantasy whatsoever. Hell, its lack of fanservice is, I'm certain, some part of why it failed.

I still remember how annoyed I was that this big Final Fantasy movie was finally happening, but instead of being a Final Fantasy movie, it's a mediocre science fiction movie.
Actually it does because it was built upon some of the original concepts for Final Fantasy VII.

If the movie did something it really made me want to return to the world as Noctis and kick the smug emperor's bony old ass.

Anyway, if my guess is right that will happen rather soon as he seems to fill the role of Shinra (FF7), Deling (FF8) and Brahne (FF9) and the real villain steps in after that.
Indeed I hope so. Hated the Emperor so much...he was actually one of the better voice acted people. And the scene with somnus in & the Emperor/Regis talking was really well done.

Ravus may be a Seymour esque character for the game I bet, whilst Ardyn Kefka haha.

Because gamers are stupid and want everything open world because ...reasons.
So we ended up with something that would be too costly to make fully explorable, extracted to a movie...which ended up to be actually quite costly.
You can always count on SE to take bright decisions.

Can't wait for the open world bubble to burst...it'll happen

Edit:

Spirits Within is no saint but it actually felt like a competently made movie with a full arc, if ultimately mediocre.

Mythos

I just can't understand the point of Stella in the movie. In the Game, we see her

"fighting" Leviathan

but in the movie she is only this stupid ass weak princess who needs to be saved all the time. Also, what is the point in Noctis marring her? o_O

Skilletor

I just can't understand the point of Stella in the movie. In the Game, we see her

"fighting" Leviathan

but in the movie she is only this stupid ass weak princess who needs to be saved all the time. Also, what is the point in Noctis marring her? o_O

I'm going to laugh if Noctis is the one to give her power.

"fighting" Leviathan

I thought their marriage was some form of alliance between kingdoms or something like that?.

I have a bad feeling it wont be as in depth as it should be but i'll hold judgement til it comes out.

Mythos

I thought their marriage was some form of alliance between kingdoms or something like that?.

I have a bad feeling it wont be as in depth as it should be but i'll hold judgement til it comes out.

But she has no power, Tenebrae is in Niflheim's hands. Well, let's wait and see, i hope she is not just this typical japanese anime girl who is so annoying and needs to be saved all the time, and who cries also alot. But she gives the boys so much power, just for believing in them... ^^

@Skelletor
You mean, like the Kingsglaive got their power from the King?

Skilletor

But she has no power, Tenebrae is in Niflheim's hands. Well, let's wait and see, i hope she is not just this typical japanese anime girl who is so annoying and needs to be saved all the time, and who cries also alot. But she gives the boys so much power, just for believing in them... ^^

@Skelletor

Yeah, exactly. It would be awful.

@Skelletor

I don't get that vibe at all, at least not from the scene when she confronts Leviathan.

She comes off more assertive in the game than the movie which is off-putting to say the least. Not sure why they didn't translate that into Kingsglaive if that's how she is in the game.

Limality

Banned
Luna doesn't need to marry Noctis after Kingsglaive. She goes to meet him to deliver a certain item.

But Noct and co. don't know that until after the newspaper scene.

Arkeband

Banned
Luna was pretty typical in the movie - the main character even barks at her "stop with the brave princess routine".

We know she's not a fighter so I dunno why anyone would expect anything overly heroic from her.

Skilletor

Luna was pretty typical in the movie - the main character even barks at her "stop with the brave princess routine".

We know she's not a fighter so I dunno why anyone would expect anything overly heroic from her.

Heroism has nothing to do with being a fighter.

Mythos

I don't get that vibe at all, at least not from the scene when she confronts Leviathan.

She comes off more assertive in the game than the movie which is off-putting to say the least. Not sure why they didn't translate that into Kingsglaive if that's how she is in the game.

I got that vibe from her in the movie, but in the game she seems to be different from what we have seen so far.

Kaizer

Banned
Just saw the movie - enjoyed it a lot! Definitely got me excited to play the game in November & I also feel more acquainted with the world/story of XV.

It's a shame this couldn't have been the opening of the game- but I would've been bummed out if we had to wait until 2019 to finally play it with this intro included.

Zoe

I'd buy three copies of the game to get that outfit as DLC. It's so simple, but so iconic. I can't believe Tabata threw it away to turn Luna into a generic princess character.

That outfit was gone long before Tabata got his hands on the game.

NahaNago

almost halfway through the movie and i'm struggling to finish it. This is so boring and further kills my hype for the game.

R3birthFl4me

Neo Member
Sorry to bring this up again, but wasn't the Nomura version of Versus supposed to be three games ?

If so I'm assuming we would play the Insomnia invasion in the first game and take back the city in the third game.

But if the game is now only one single part, having the Insomnia invasion and taking the city back in the same game would be dumb, in my opinion. Sure the opening will be boring because of it, but I prefer having all the cool shit in Insomnia at the end of the game, instead of playing two set pieces in the same city in one single game.

artsi

That was a rumor as far as I know.

He did not say three, but there was supposed to be sequels.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/13/final-fantasy-15-will-have-multiple-sequels/

Director Tetsuya Nomura has confirmed that Square Enix expects to produce a number of follow-ups to Final Fantasy 15, and hinted that we may see the publisher’s plans for episodic releases come into play sooner than anticipated.

“While Final Fantasy 15 will have one climax, as a story, we plan to continue it further,” Nomura told Famitsu, as translated by Siliconera.

Ydelnae

Sorry to bring this up again, but wasn't the Nomura version of Versus supposed to be three games ?

If so I'm assuming we would play the Insomnia invasion in the first game and take back the city in the third game.

But if the game is now only one single part, having the Insomnia invasion and taking the city back in the same game would be dumb, in my opinion. Sure the opening will be boring because of it, but I prefer having all the cool shit in Insomnia at the end of the game, instead of playing two set pieces in the same city in one single game.

Nomura never stated how many games he wanted to put out in the Versus world, but the first game (Versus XIII and XV-1) always covered more than the Insomnia invasion, as they showed Noctis in other parts of the world. He also stated that the story of XV was about taking the crystal back to where it belonged, so I assume it would assume taking returning the Lucis crystal to the throne.

I don't know, just watched and was pretty entertained and can't wait for the game now.
And I'm one of those that thinks the game will suck.

Movie is good.

Qvoth

just finished watching
both my brother and i quite liked it
yeah the fight scenes are pretty hectic, but still cool
i knew they're gonna show noctis and the gang at the end, and they did

Top Bottom