• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby Mass Attack |OT| More Kirbys, More Power

Kazerei

Banned
Sinthetic said:
Thanks very much guys, I very nearly gave up myself. I would turn the game off and rage for a few minutes, then no later than 5 minutes later, be back in getting my ass beaten.

What have you got left to do for the other 3% Kazerei?

Here are the shots...

http://i55.tinypic.com/5vx3if.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/345j8er.jpg

Haha at how cute Kirby with the pointed feet and closed eyes is!

Thanks much. I do have all the medals, but many are only bronze or silver. I think I've done all the other tasks though. At this point, the only reason I still boot up this game is for Brawlball :)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just bought the game today, and started playing the first few levels. Went through every level twice to pick up Gold Medals for No Damage, and to collect all the tokens. Seems awesome so far, but with Return to Dream Land being on sale at Wal-Mart (Canada) this coming week, I'll have to pick that up as well.

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. The platformy pikminy nature of the game is utuilized really well, and definitely not the cake walk that other recent kirby titles have been. Solid title

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I really enjoy the extra content with this one. The Kirby shump and pinball stand out.

I'm just finished with World 1 (all tokens, gold medals on every level), but I'm having a blast.

I have done everything so far (including beating/setting high score on every mini-game) except Gold Star on 4-9, which seems impossible to me. In fact, I haven't even got to the vampire boss without getting hit. I give about 5 tries per day, gonna take me a month or three at this rate.

Excellent game. I think I liked it better than Canvas Curse. Only thing I wish is that I hadn't got so addicted to it so I could have enjoyed it for longer :p

Kiiji said:
So... I just beat Stage 4. Is it worth it to collect all the Rainbow Medals? I hate collecting. :(
Yeah, not a fan of that either. Good ol fashion artificial lengthening...

It's the only reason I haven't 'beat' the game yet.

HallwayGiant said:
Yeah, not a fan of that either. Good ol fashion artificial lengthening...

It's the only reason I haven't 'beat' the game yet.

Artificial? Most levels have multiple routes. Can't imagine playing this game without collecting all medals myself.

Kifimbo

Kiiji said:
So... I just beat Stage 4. Is it worth it to collect all the Rainbow Medals? I hate collecting. :(

Actually, you need all the rainbow medals to play the final world. The other medal don't matter (unless you want to unlock everything).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
nincompoop said:
This game is awesome. It's basically the spiritual successor to Canvas Curse.

I disagree. I found the game to be extremely boring after the first world--it just didn't have the draw or variety that Canvas Curse did.

Plinko said:
I disagree. I found the game to be extremely boring after the first world--it just didn't have the draw or variety that Canvas Curse did.
I'm actually still on the first world lol, that was just my first impression of the game so far. I've played the first 6 stages and they've been introducing new enemies and new elements in every stage up to this point, so I'll have to see for myself if what you say is true.

zigg

Plinko said:
And I disagree with this! Even without the great subgames, this game stands toe-to-toe with CC. I don't feel it bored at all.

Separately from the actual judgment, it's interesting to note that CC proved the potential of the strange new DS, while MA proved that it's still possible to wow even on tired old hardware considered obsolete.

Kiiji

Banned
Kifimbo said:
Actually, you need all the rainbow medals to play the final world. The other medal don't matter (unless you want to unlock everything).

Yeah, I know. I completed stage four and I'm locked out of the final world because I don't have all the rainbow medals. The question is if I have the patience to revisit all the levels where I missed the rainbow medals... :/

Yuterald

Sinthetic said:
Each World has 12 Stages, put it this way, there are around 50 Stages to shoot for.

Holy shit, 50 some stages? That's a crazy amount of levels! Man, the Wii Kirby game coming out looks hot, but this DS one is pretty special. It's going to be tough to top this one!

With the game coming out in Europe on Friday I think I'll jump in (though I probably won't be able to play until Skyward Sword comes out) though I have one question:

Any possible left-handed problems?

zigg

Kiiji said:
Yeah, I know. I completed stage four and I'm locked out of the final world because I don't have all the rainbow medals. The question is if I have the patience to revisit all the levels where I missed the rainbow medals... :/

"All"? I was only missing maybe a half-dozen, myself. Did you just barrel on past most of them?

Yuterald said:
Holy shit, 50 some stages? That's a crazy amount of levels! Man, the Wii Kirby game coming out looks hot, but this DS one is pretty special. It's going to be tough to top this one!

I honestly do not expect Kirby Wii to even come close to this game.

Starwolf_UK said:

There's a LH mode, IIRC. I don't know exactly what it does.

NEO0MJ

Starwolf_UK said:
With the game coming out in Europe on Friday I think I'll jump in (though I probably won't be able to play until Skyward Sword comes out) though I have one question:

No problems over here.

jgkspsx

zigg said:
Separately from the actual judgment, it's interesting to note that CC proved the potential of the strange new DS, while MA proved that it's still possible to wow even on tired old hardware considered obsolete.
Well said. Two of the best exhibitions of what DS controls can achieve, IMO. CC is better from a mechanical perspective (camera and idiot Kirby behavior continually bug me in MA), but when it works it feels so perfect.

Sinthetic

Yuterald said:

Hahaha, I'm all out of Kirby love after 100%'ing this game. His return to Dream Land is gonna have to wait.

zigg

You know, I have a twinge of regret about buying the Japanese version. I got to play it way early, it's true, but now I have no idea what the achievements say.

Yeah I was surprised that collecting was actually mandatory in order to beat the game, but I think it worked out well for this game. It's not like Metroid backtracking or anything. I'm not going to bother collecting all gold medals, but I still had fun with this game. Canvas Curse was still my favorite stylus game, but I did enjoy this one.

Made it twice to the bat boss in 4-9 without getting hit so far, but the game screwed me once (one Kirby got left behind and was smashed) and missed a fling on the third phase the other time. Dunno what HAL was thinking with this level.

Sinthetic said:
Hahaha, I'm all out of Kirby love after 100%'ing this game. His return to Dream Land is gonna have to wait.

Well, Mass Attack is not really a Kirby game, so I don't see the problem in playing RtDL immediately after this :p

Allan Holdsworth said:
Made it twice to the bat boss in 4-9 without getting hit so far, but the game screwed me once (one Kirby got left behind and was smashed) and missed a fling on the third phase the other time. Dunno what HAL was thinking with this level.

Well, Mass Attack is not really a Kirby game, so I don't see the problem in playing RtDL immediately after this :p

Was it also supposed to be something else like Epic Yarn?

zigg

Sinthetic said:
Shall I PM you a list of the Achievements zigg?

Thanks, but I got off my duff (figuratively) and looked at GameFAQs, and lo and behold it's in the single walkthrough there.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm about 3/4s of the way done with World 3 now. I've been collecting the medals/tokens and doing No Damage runs on every stage before moving on. It's just the sort of level of toughness I enjoy. There are a few tough stages, but overall, it's just difficult enough to be rewarding.

Tom_Cody

This had sort of slipped of my radar screen but now, with Return to Dreamland is coming out, I decided to take a second look. What is the GAF consensus on this title? Reviewers seemed to give this universally high marks.

I am still sort of bitter that 1) this is for the DS instead of the 3DS and 2) Nintendo made this a Kirby game instead of a Pikmin game. Oh well, it looks like I need to get my XL charged...

zigg

Tom_Cody said:
I am still sort of bitter that 1) this is for the DS instead of the 3DS and 2) Nintendo made this a Kirby game instead of a Pikmin game.

Don't be bitter about the second bit. I think it gains quite a bit by drawing from Kirby sidescroller design.

CoolS

Finally available here in Europe, needles to say I got it right away today.

Very charming so far (5 levels in) I just hope the music gets better, not all that memorable untill now. But holy cow, it looks like the unlockables will be awesome. I think I already spent as much time on Pinball as on the normal game :)

Tom_Cody said:
This had sort of slipped of my radar screen but now, with Return to Dreamland is coming out, I decided to take a second look. What is the GAF consensus on this title? Reviewers seemed to give this universally high marks.

I am still sort of bitter that 1) this is for the DS instead of the 3DS and 2) Nintendo made this a Kirby game instead of a Pikmin game. Oh well, it looks like I need to get my XL charged...

I really enjoyed it, and I played to beat the game and get all the tokens, but not all the medals, which would be quite challenging.

I love Pikmin, but this game does make sense as a Kirby game. It's certainly an extension of Canvas Curse crossed with Pikmin, but the experimental nature of the Kirby franchise fits the title. There's a lot of fan service and a lot of enemies that make sense in the Kirby universe.

When you play it, the Kirby sidescrolling "feel" is also there as far as pacing and even the way some of the stages are designed. The game does a very admirable job of mixing up and constantly introducing new mechanics, despite the basic idea behind controlling the ten Kirbies being pretty easy to handle.

Also, the Pinball and shmup mini-games are pretty replayable and add quite a bit of value. It's a unique title in the series, and I found it perfect to play before jumping into Return to Dreamland.

As for being a DS title rather than 3DS, let's just say that the sprite work in this game is fantastic. If 3DS would've made them try polygons, then I'm happy they stuck with regular ol' DS.

AniHawk

this game took me by surprise. despite not acting like a traditional kirby game, it still feels like one. i also wasn't expecting any of the unlockable mini games to be more than decent, but that dumb little shmup and the dumb little pinball game are more fun than they have any right to be. pretty cool.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Up to World 4 now, 70% complete. I've tried to go back and complete a bunch of 'Achievements' before progressing, and I'm collecting tokens / Gold Stars along the way. Very entertaining game.. but if World 4 is as tough as people make it out to be (for No Damage runs) I'm sure I'll be pulling my hair out soon.

Yeah 4-9 is really difficult, took me like 50 tries (then again I really sucked at the Eel boss, and most of the time got a Kirby damaged against it)

I found out you get Gold Crowns on Kirby Quest if you get a perfect score. I managed to do the first quest, but the others seem impossible to me. In any case, they don't count towards completition percentage so I doubt I will bother with doing that.

Spwn

Just finished the game. Took me 13h and 13min without even realizing how much time I spent on the game. Quite enjoyed it overall - my only nitpicking being directed towards the controls or rather the responsiveness. Sometimes when I tried to fling the Kirbys, they just jumped and sometimes one or two refused to come with the rest and they ran on a spiked enemy or something. Loved the music, liked the variety and adored the levels with multiple routes. Some levels felt a bit too long, but the shorter levels here and there compensated. My final completion percent was 79%. Maybe I'll get back to getting some more medals, I guess. Definitely giving this game four out of five rainbow medals.

Yuterald

Allan Holdsworth said:
Yeah 4-9 is really difficult, took me like 50 tries (then again I really sucked at the Eel boss, and most of the time got a Kirby damaged against it)

I found out you get Gold Crowns on Kirby Quest if you get a perfect score. I managed to do the first quest, but the others seem impossible to me. In any case, they don't count towards completition percentage so I doubt I will bother with doing that.

What constitutes a perfect score? Hitting the purple Awesome section each time? Also, can you ONLY hit the Awesome section and not a combination of Greats and an Awesome, for example? I guess if you REALLY wanted to be anal the game isn't considered complete, lol, until you get Gold Crowns in Kirby Quest. I'm having hard enough time trying to get Awesome! on Chapter 1!

Anyway, I am almost done with the second world. Some of the stages are getting way tricky now. The boss levels in world 2 led to numerous retries for those Gold Star ranks. I am still stubbornly not moving on with a world until I Gold Star every stage with all Medals collected. At 41% game completion at the moment.

AniHawk

beat it, 186 medals. sure felt like a kirby game, even though it didn't totally play like one. nice overall. not as good as canvas curse, but certainly better than epic yarn. and now i can finally retire my ds lite. it was a good run.

isny

napkin dispenser
AniHawk said:
beat it, 186 medals. sure felt like a kirby game, even though it didn't totally play like one. nice overall. not as good as canvas curse, but certainly better than epic yarn. and now i can finally retire my ds lite. it was a good run.

Miles Edgeworth 2? (If they ever bother to localize it)

eXistor

I just finished it. I think it's the best Kirby game I've played. The amount of variety is astounding. I do think the game is too long and some levels were a bit tedious, but almost every level you'd encounter a new mechanic. It's usually very simplistic, but it's some very welcome variation to the standard levels. I don't feel compelled to get all the medals though (I did get all the rainbow medals), but overall I'm very happy with this game. Personally I thought it was miles better than Canvas Curse, which I ad to trudge through. It's also a much more original game than Kirby's Return to Dreamland, which is cool, but it's basically the GB game again.

Just beat the game. This game is amazing! There's so much creativity on display that it just beggars belief and this is reflected in the incredible amount of content squeezed into the game (12 hours it took me to finish! That makes it the longest game in the series by a country mile. I could probably finish every other game in the series back to back in the time it took me to finish Mass Attack! - Note, I have not yet played KRTD, so I don't know how long the levels are in that game)

But not all is perfect with in regards to length, because I think that it's length is also a bit of a curse. Many of the levels go on too long (about 60% of the levels are at least twice as long as a typical Kirby level!) I would've preferred to see them cut down and repurposed into more levels that were shorter in length (like DeDeDe Resort, which is by far my favourite world in this game!)

Also world 2 (Sandy Canyon) is a bit of a drag in terms of pacing. Not as many new mechanics introduced as the other worlds and too many overly long levels. The final boss is also a bit of a let down (especially in comparison to the crazy awesome final bosses that the series is known for)

But those are minor issues in the grand scheme of things. The controls are amazing, perfectly blending Pikmin style unit management with the High Energy Action that the Kirby series is known for. Never did I have any problems with getting each Kirby to do what I wanted them to do. The level design is superb (aside from the levels themselves being a bit too long), with a crazy amount of game mechanics constantly and effortlessly introduced in each new level (Mario Galaxy/DKC2 style!) So much creativity! The game always feel fresh and the mechanics are works of genius! (That Tree Level! YES!)

Also, the game puts up a good fight. It's by far the hardest game in the series and if you're going for 100%, this game will kick your arse (yes, a Kirby game that is actually arse kicking level hard, and I'm not talking about boss rush!) and you will see the game over screen more than once!

The soundtrack also deserves specific mention too. Almost no remixes at all!, save the death fanfare, miniboss music and one really unexpected (and totally awesome!) remix. Considering that the last Kirby game to feature a soundtrack that largely consisted of original music was Kirby 64 back in 2000 (Epic Yarn doesn't count since it wasn't originally a Kirby game), this is a VERY welcome change of pace! Speaking of which, the music is of a very different style to previous Kirby games (obviously because Jun Ishikawa wasn't involved. Shogo Sakai took the reigns instead) and it's really nice. Very memorable tunes for the most part, with some really odd styles mixed in!

Finally, the extra sub games. They really need to be mentioned separately because they're shockingly fully featured! Several of them could easily be sold on DSiWare as is! (I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Kirby Brawlball was a cancelled DSiWare game that was chucked in for the hell of it!) and they're all great fun!

An enormous accomplishment and a must have DS game, despite a few pacing issues. The handheld couldn't have a better sendoff!

Chairhome

Just finished World 4. Holy crap that last tier of stages was hard. A welcome challenge, if a little frustrating at times. I was a little disappointed after beating that World that
I have to collect all of the rainbow medals in every stage to play the 5th world? Boooooo

I always do this to myself though, I've been rushing through the game cause I just got SM3DLand. I'll have to try to get those rainbow medals though, cause I really want to finish it before moving on.

Salaadin

I wrapped up World 3 last night and had an absolute blast. Its probably one of my top 5 games this year. This game is amazing.

Sinthetic

I wrapped up World 3 last night and had an absolute blast. Its probably one of my top 5 games this year. This game is amazing.

I think it might be in the top 3 for me. I enjoyed it more than 3D Land, I never thought I'd say I enjoy something more than a Mario game, but this is it.

An honest to goodness 40 hour epic.

Salaadin

I think it might be in the top 3 for me. I enjoyed it more than 3D Land, I never thought I'd say I enjoy something more than a Mario game, but this is it.

An honest to goodness 40 hour epic.

Im enjoying it more than Mario too but Im always little biased towards Kirby.
I was initially going to wait on this and opted for Return to Dreamland instead (which was also great) but Im so glad I gave in. Those gameplay videos on the Nintendo Store sold me.

It might be the cutest game I ever played too. When I entered that first ice level and saw 10 Kirbys freak out at once because they were sliding, I nearly lost my shit. It was so funny.

What constitutes a perfect score? Hitting the purple Awesome section each time? Also, can you ONLY hit the Awesome section and not a combination of Greats and an Awesome, for example? I guess if you REALLY wanted to be anal the game isn't considered complete, lol, until you get Gold Crowns in Kirby Quest. I'm having hard enough time trying to get Awesome! on Chapter 1!

You can hit some Greats, but your bonus must not drop below 2.0x. I only did it in Chapter 1. I tried the others a bunch of times, but I just don't have the timing necessary, so I gave up. It's pretty tedious, and I wasn't making any progress.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Also, the game puts up a good fight. It's by far the hardest game in the series and if you're going for 100%, this game will kick your arse (yes, a Kirby game that is actually arse kicking level hard, and I'm not talking about boss rush!) and you will see the game over screen more than once!

Return to Dream Land is quite tough to 100% as well, mainly Platinum medals but the last boss(es) on Extra Mode were quite difficult for me.

Sinthetic

Im enjoying it more than Mario too but Im always little biased towards Kirby.
I was initially going to wait on this and opted for Return to Dreamland instead (which was also great) but Im so glad I gave in. Those gameplay videos on the Nintendo Store sold me.

It might be the cutest game I ever played too. When I entered that first ice level and saw 10 Kirbys freak out at once because they were sliding, I nearly lost my shit. It was so funny.

Hahahahahaha! Ah damn, it really is so cute. I love when they swim upwards, best animation ever.

I was hesitant to buy it myself, the second I tried the first level, I knew I made the right choice. More people HAVE to play this if they love amazing games.

Top Bottom