• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby Mass Attack |OT| More Kirbys, More Power

Kazerei

Banned
Just beat the game, yay! According to the post-ending stats, I played for 16 hours, 18 minutes, and I'm at 93% completion. I'll try for 100%, but I don't think I can do it. No damage is pretty tough to do :\

And I've barely scratched the surface of the mini-games. There's so much content in this game, I'm loving it.

sfried

Jimmy Stav said:
Can anyone speak to how shitty (or not) this looks on a 3DS? It's my only means of playing it, unfortunately.
Playing on my 3DS and it is definitely looking NOT shitty. I have a DSi to compare and aside from the lack of serated (i.e. jagged) pixels, the spritework remains faithfully intact. I kinda notice that my DSi has a sort of lower refresh rate screen than my 3DS, leading me to believe there is some post-processed motion blur when it fact the game is just animating so fluidly that you can tell that the 3DS has a better quality screen.

Bryan1321

Banned
I played the demo On a Dsi XL, certainly the best way to play it, looks great and gives you more view on all 10 Kirbys, awesome title, ill get it on bomba price
(yeah right)

sfried said:
Playing on my 3DS and it is definitely looking NOT shitty. I have a DSi to compare and aside from the lack of serated (i.e. jagged) pixels, the spritework remains faithfully intact. I kinda notice that my DSi has a sort of lower refresh rate screen than my 3DS, leading me to believe there is some post-processed motion blur when it fact the game is just animating so fluidly that you can tell that the 3DS has a better quality screen.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm torn as to whether I should get this right now or not because | don't have the time for it, but I'm also worried that it'll be a difficult game to come by in the coming months.

Spike

Jimmy Stav said:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm torn as to whether I should get this right now or not because | don't have the time for it, but I'm also worried that it'll be a difficult game to come by in the coming months.

It's a difficult game to come by right now, so can you imagine what it will be like a few months down the line?

Sciz

I haven't played a game with this much fanservice since Brawl. The main game is fun in its own right, but the minigames are one giant celebration of all 19 years of Kirby history.

Spike said:
It's a difficult game to come by right now, so can you imagine what it will be like a few months down the line?

You convinced me. It's unfortunate that it probably won't leave the shrink wrap for a few months yet, however.

Spike

Jimmy Stav said:
You convinced me. It's unfortunate that it probably won't leave the shrink wrap for a few months yet, however.

I went to 6 different stores in my area today, and no one has it in stock. I was told that they only got 2-3 copies and most were snapped up by employees. :(

sfried

So I'm still in the first world but I feel I'm getting too hung up on aquiring Gold in Stage 7 Green Grounds. Should I simply focus on Medals first and then persue the "No Miss" runs later, or just finish each stage and revisit them later?

Kazerei

Banned
sfried said:
So I'm still in the first world but I feel I'm getting too hung up on aquiring Gold in Stage 7 Green Grounds. Should I simply focus on Medals first and then persue the "No Miss" runs later, or just finish each stage and revisit them later?

Yeah, focus on getting Coins, they unlock Extras, and you'll need a certain number of them later to continue the Story.

Bronze/Silver/Gold Medals just contribute towards 100%.

Spike said:
I went to 6 different stores in my area today, and no one has it in stock. I was told that they only got 2-3 copies and most were snapped up by employees. :(

Amazon, duder! And my local GS had one (Berkeley), but since I don't plan on playing it for awhile there was no hurry.

sfried

Spent so much time in BrawlBall. The music, the simple mechanics, the fact that it "saves" your progress if you fail in a boss fight, the music...They just all add up. The whole experience is greater than the sum of its Kirbness.

Slowly progressing my way in the main game. God, I'm such a perfectionist.

jambo

Seda said:
I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed to be released there, but no official date.

Also, nice avatars guys.

I might import a Euro copy, depending on pricing and shipping...

Rarutos

Just got my copy today! Pretty fun so far! It's not Kirby, but it's got my attention. Probably enjoying it more than Canvas Curse at least. :)

Since my copy hasn't arrived from Amazon, Im playing another obscure Kirby game in Epic Yarn. Im going back and forth between that and Gears 3 right now. So much fun.

Levyne

Banned
MrDanger88 said:
Since my copy hasn't arrived from Amazon, Im playing another obscure Kirby game in Epic Yarn. Im going back and forth between that and Gears 3 right now. So much fun.

That's quite the dichotomy, haha

Llyranor

MrDanger88 said:
Im going back and forth between that and Gears 3 right now. So much fun.
I'm doing this too, haha.

Just finished the first stage. Game is so full of charm. Controls are spot-on. Sending multiple Kirbys to suplex a giant bird is awesome, haha.

I found a few spare minutes to try the first level, only to have my time cut short by an accidental turn-off. Fuck the 3DS' power button placement. It was fun while it lasted. :/

So the only Kirby game I have for DS so far is Squeak Squad... if I were to get another Kirby game for it, would people recommend Mass Attack, Super Star Ultra, or Canvas Curse?

MarkusRJR

cooljeanius said:
So the only Kirby game I have for DS so far is Squeak Squad... if I were to get another Kirby game for it, would people recommend Mass Attack, Super Star Ultra, or Canvas Curse?
Canvas Curse > Super Star Ultra = Mass Attack > Squeak Squad

isny

napkin dispenser
Some of the later medals are pretty freaking hard to get.

Definitely loving me some pinball though. That's almost worth the price of admission by itself.

Sciz

cooljeanius said:
Canvas Curse and Mass Attack are quality, but completely different from the usual Kirby formula. Super Star Ultra is the usual formula in its perfected form.

mjc

Is there any degree of difficulty to it? I like previous Kirby games well enough but they're way too easy/short.

Sciz

Just burning through the game is easy enough so far. Plenty of extra content and tasks, though. Every level has 3-5 medals to collect a la NSMB, there's a bronze/silver/gold ranking system for each level that measures how much damage you took (and some levels are viciously difficult to avoid all damage on, particularly bosses), and there's a variety of achievements to do. The medals unlock minigames and some other extras, which are surprisingly fleshed out in their own right.

MarkusRJR

Oh god, I'm still trying to decide between this and Super Star Ultra. I absolutely loved Kirby Super Star on the SNES and I kind of want to play it again (my SNES died recently mid-game during my yearly play-through of KSS), but I played about half of Mass Attack from a friend's copy and absolutely loved it. I also need to pick up Dragon Quest IX. I'm eventually going to pick up all of them but I want to get the one which will be the hardest to find later on.

Which will be easier to find later on once 3DS fever takes over this holiday? D:

M-PG71C

Brawlball has eaten away my time the last day or so. Its like getting a sequel/remake to Kirby's Pinball Land for free! It alone is worth my $30.

I'll jump into the adventure mode here shortly, I'm juggling between Xenoblade and this currently. It's like Nintendo heaven right now lol

mjc said:
Is there any degree of difficulty to it? I like previous Kirby games well enough but they're way too easy/short.

Yes. Maybe it's just me, but I'm finding it reasonably difficult. This is not Epic Yarn or Dreamland.

I agree, it's certainly more difficult to get through the stage with no damage and get a gold medal than it was to get a gold medal or whatever in Epic Yarn. Some stages my Kirby brigade gets smurfed pretty bad :p

Busaiku

mjc said:
I mean, you really won't be in danger of dying (well, I'm only 3 levels in thus far), but getting all the medals/not getting hit could probably prove to be more difficult.

And if the 3rd level is anything to go by, levels can be quite long.

Yaceka said:
Which will be easier to find later on once 3DS fever takes over this holiday? D:
After this holiday, both will still probably be pretty easy to find, but I imagine down the road, this will be harder to get (since I believe it will end up selling much less).

jgkspsx

This looks and sounds and plays so well. It's so nice to have a real DS game again - it's been forever. There have been lots of great games, but few that used the touchscreen for anything useful. HAL Laboratory and Monster Games are the most reliable developers for Nintendo these days...

cooljeanius said:
For me Canvas Curse >> Mass Attack >> Super Star Ultra ?? Squeak Squad. But then I've only ever been into the non-standard-platformer Kirby games.

CC and MA are different types of games, though, with hardly anything in common with the main series. CC is a total DS drawing-style game, and MA is essentially a hybrid of Pikmin and LocoRoco that does well by both.

Sinthetic

Busaiku said:
Man, I just love the main theme so much.

Same here, every time I hear it, I can't help feeling happy.

For those of us who can't wait for October 28th in the UK. There is a seller on eBay selling the US version for £27.95. I managed to get one, he only has a few left so be quick... It's in stock and ready to ship.

zigg

Sciz said:
Super Star Ultra is the usual formula in its perfected form.

I'd say the original Dream Land and Adventure are the perfected ones, actually... I love SSU, but it can be a bit of a mixed bag.

Canvas Curse and Mass Attack are both very special games that aren't just atop my Kirby list but high up on my all-time list. Both are very memorable and really good at what they do.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So this is the review I'm going to put in my school's paper...

Everyone’s favorite pink puffball Kirby is back in Kirby Mass Attack, developed by HAL Laboratory, Inc. and available now exclusively for the Nintendo DS. First floating into the video-game world in 1992 in his debut Game Boy outing, Kirby’s Dream Land, Kirby won fans over with his unique power to absorb enemies like a vacuum cleaner and copy their abilities leading to nineteen years of games and even a television series.
Kirby Mass Attack is a 2D platform adventure, in the style of the previous Kirby games, although with one big difference; Kirby is unable to use his signature copy powers. Thanks to the dark magic of the evil Necrodeus, Kirby has been split into ten weaker copies and, to make matters worse, by the time the game begins nine of those Kirbys have already been destroyed! Armed with only the ability to run, jump, and tackle enemies, how will the lone Kirby save the day? Well, that is where you, the player, comes in by taking control of the real Kirby’s “Heroic Heart”—a floating star that you guide along the screen in order to help guide Kirby to the end of each of the game’s 40+ levels.
Although one Kirby is no match for Necrodeus and his Skull Gang, you are able to gain more Kirbys by eating fruit scattered around each level. Every time you reach 100 points through collecting fruit, another Kirby appears allowing you to gather up to ten Kirbys. The more Kirbys you have, the more power you have, as working together they can defeat foes faster and move large objects. If a Kirby is hit twice by enemy attacks, however, and its “ghost” floats off the screen, you lose it and must get 100 points to replace it. Managing the amount of Kirby you have is key in this game and you want to keep as many as possible at all times since levels have a minimum amount of Kirbys needed in order to play them.
Kirby games are not known for their difficulty, and Kirby Mass Attack is no exception as the game has a simplistic control scheme that only uses the DS’ stylus. Due to the small learning curve, it is the perfect game for younger siblings and players new to video games. But gamers will not be disappointed since each level has up to five secret medals hidden in tricky locations requiring careful exploration, as well as various tasks that challenge a player’s skills. By collecting medals, players unlock little mini-games, including a four-board pinball game and a classic vertical shooter, which are a nice diversion. And for fans of the Kirby franchise, these mini-games are filled with classic Kirby cameos.
Cute and of modest length, Kirby Mass Attack is a game that almost anyone can enjoy. And for fans of classic Kirby, be sure to check out his newest game, the multiplayer Kirby’s Return to Dreamland, out October 24th for the Nintendo Wii.

What say you GAF? I have a 500 word limit, so I couldn't go too into detail, but I think it works...and will combat the FPS obsession in my paper.

Busaiku

So I learned that you can just hold down the stylus after double tapping for running.
Well, now I can be happy that I won't end up killing my DSi's screen.

Watch Da Birdie said:
What say you GAF? I have a 500 word limit, so I couldn't go too into detail, but I think it works...and will combat the FPS obsession in my paper.
See if you can shift the balance so there's more evaluation than description.

CoolS

I can't wait for this any longer. Can anyone recommend me a site to Import this to Europe? I was gonna use Play Asia but they say it might take 15 days to ship it and then its probably out here by the time it would arrive.

isny

napkin dispenser
CoolS said:
I can't wait for this any longer. Can anyone recommend me a site to Import this to Europe? I was gonna use Play Asia but they say it might take 15 days to ship it and then its probably out here by the time it would arrive.

Sinthetic said:
Same here, every time I hear it, I can't help feeling happy.

For those of us who can't wait for October 28th in the UK. There is a seller on eBay selling the US version for £27.95. I managed to get one, he only has a few left so be quick... It's in stock and ready to ship.

See above.

Busaiku

Getting the second medal in Level 1 Stage 2 was so annoying.
I mean it just comes out of nowhere as I'm trying to rush through all big and stuff.

Sinthetic

Woohoo! Got it today, really really love it. I was worried I wouldn't like it (I hate games that give you rankings). But after playing the demo level for 30 minutes, I am a happy camper.

*Hums theme tune*

Top Bottom