• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby Mass Attack |OT| More Kirbys, More Power

KevinCow

Banned
This game is pretty fun, but the camera can be really frustrating. I frequently have issues where what I want to attack is off screen, or some of my Kirbys are off screen so I can't use them. I wish they'd let you use the d-pad to control the camera in situations like this.

Also, nothing is more infuriating than a Kirby wandering into damage of his own accord.

I think my favorite thing about this game, though, is how it references all of Kirby history. It doesn't act like the series started with and is composed entirely of Superstar, like most Kirby games these days seem to. Dreamland 2 was my most played Kirby growing up, so it makes me happy to see the animal friends and Mr. Shine and Mr. Bright pop up after being absent for so long.

Busaiku

I'm not a big fan of the camera.
It just doesn't scroll fast enough when I need it to sometimes.

Getting the Gold Medals is kind of annoying with that.

Sinthetic

I'm expecting a couple dozen hours total playtime on this. I've only done the first 3 stages and I'm over 1.5 hours. I'm very OCD about getting all medals and gold star rating before moving on to the next stage. Awesome game and a good difficulty scale.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Really want to snag this, but I never bought superstar ds either. Just unsure which to go for. Thoughts?

Never played superstar on snes, but it's often referenced as the best Kirby. I love canvas curse as well.

Sinthetic

Brandon F said:
Really want to snag this, but I never bought superstar ds either. Just unsure which to go for. Thoughts?

Never played superstar on snes, but it's often referenced as the best Kirby. I love canvas curse as well.

I was a very sceptical hippo myself, I tried it nervously and fell in love the second the Theme song started. Forget Kirby a second, if you like great games (this one reminds me of Pikmin)... Don't miss out. That is what the present me would say to the nervous me of the past. Hahaha.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Went to my local Best Buy to snag Kirby Mass Attack today. Scored the very last copy surprisingly, but was shocked at the shelf space for DS games. The DS shelf was about as large as what is given to 3DS, seems the store is liquidating it's entire stock of DS games. They had a few copies of 2011 releases(Pokemon, Okamiden, etc..) but everything else was just gone.
A year ago, the DS space took up nearly two entire aisles.

Cool game so far(just about to wrap World 1), but already I agree with the camera complaints. So often I want to be able to pan around independent of my squad.

I'm loving it on my recently purchased XL (the 3DS' screens are uncomfortably small for this game). The game's easiness doesn't bother me, as I can get a decent challenge Gold Star-ing each level. As a palette cleanser between reading dry novels for school it's absolutely perfect.

Sinthetic

I've gotta say, even some of the levels in World 1 get hard (if you are hunting for perfect runs) 7 was a sly one for sure. Still, it can be as easy or hard as you like. I want gold all the way.

GeekyDad

Sinthetic said:
Kirby Pinball is awwwwweeeesome!

It really is, as is Strato Patrol EOS. Those two unlockables alone are enough reason to get this game. They really outdid themselves with this package, I feel. Probably the best portable Kirby value to date.

And yes, it's all easy. Kirby games just happen to be fun without being all that challenging. Deal with it.

I don't like the decision to force players to get all the rainbow medals before being able to go to the final world and beat the game. I love collectibles, and the extras provide good motivation to search for them, but they should be optional and not required to beat the game. At least, if you're going to put up roadblocks, make the requirement a certain number of medals and not one specific medal in each level.

Not a big issue, since I'd like to 100% the game eventually anyway, but I can see a fair number of people quitting when they're told they have to go back and replay old levels before they can beat the game.

jgkspsx

GeekyDad said:
And yes, it's all easy. Kirby games just happen to be fun without being all that challenging. Deal with it.
Pinball without challenge is pretty unsatisfying. At least give me the option to suspend my game.

I can't complain too much about a freebie, and it is really well made, but it's disappointing to have it do so much right and be boring.

EOS, while easy to beat, has a much more fulfilling challenge level.

Salsa

So many PC games that im paying little attention to this (the new dust particle under the XL's touchscreen doesnt help, but oh well). Having a lot of fun with it before bed!

KevinCow

Banned
hosannainexcelsis said:
I don't like the decision to force players to get all the rainbow medals before being able to go to the final world and beat the game. I love collectibles, and the extras provide good motivation to search for them, but they should be optional and not required to beat the game. At least, if you're going to put up roadblocks, make the requirement a certain number of medals and not one specific medal in each level.

Not a big issue, since I'd like to 100% the game eventually anyway, but I can see a fair number of people quitting when they're told they have to go back and replay old levels before they can beat the game.
That happens in pretty much every Kirby game, and it has kept me from beating more than a couple. I don't know why they still do it.

Fortunately, I was pretty thorough with this game and only missed like six, so not a lot of backtracking was needed.

The boss gauntlet after that, though? I've been putting that off for a couple days now...

The final world is a huge disappointment.
Really? No stages, just 4 boss rehashes and the end boss with no stage as a buildup? Really lame and kind of a boring way to end the game.

GeekyDad

hosannainexcelsis said:

Hmph...I didn't even notice that was a requirement. I'm instinctively getting all of the coins before moving on to the next level, so it never occurred to me. I can see that being frustrating to folks who aren't completionists. Of course, there is a lot of satisfaction in hunting down those coins. That's where Kirby games have always hidden whatever challenge they have -- in the secret level treasures.

Sinthetic

I must be truly crap at pinball, I haven't even got to the 3rd boss yet.

I'm at 2-6 in the main game with every level gold starred and every coin collected. I definitely wouldn't say the game is easy if you are playing it for the 100%

What does everyone else think?

GeekyDad

Sinthetic said:

I'm at 2-6 in the main game with every level gold starred and every coin collected. I definitely wouldn't say the game is easy if you are playing it for the 100%

I look at Kirby games like a locked door. It's easy if you use brute force to get through, but it's a bit more challenging to pick the lock.

Sinthetic said:

It certainly isn't easy to do. My original plan was to get both before moving on, but I've since limited it to medals.

I'm having some issues with Sandy Canyon, Stage 7. Is anyone else finding the candy required to get the second medal won't consistently trigger? I got it once and failed at reaching the second medal, and now it refuses to spawn when I restart the level.

Been playing through a few stages each day, making sure to get all the medals. I think getting Gold Medals would be really, really hard. Some of my Kirbies seem to be masochists sometimes, and they actively seek out danger.

By the way,

Kirbies on fire in World 4

are really funny. I like how the game is still introducing new mechanics this far into the game.

Just bought this game. It's kinda bitter sweet that this is probably the last DS game I ever buy. Seems just like yesterday I got my DS with Super Mario 64 DS on launch day......

NEO0MJ

Finished World 4, in the process of collecting the rainbow medels. Is it just me or was world 4 pretty dificult for a Kirby game?

Also, beat Kirby quest.
I can't be the only one who had a giant smile on his face when he saw dark matter.

JazzmanZ

I picked this game up a few days ago and enjoyed the reference to Superstar, Dreamland and adventure series throughout the minigames.

And then when I got to Kirby quest holy fuck, not only did it have some jaw dropping anime references but then there was the Chapter two boss which was amazing, that and there was references to Epic yarn in there too.

NEO0MJ said:
Finished World 4, in the process of collecting the rainbow medels. Is it just me or was world 4 pretty dificult for a Kirby game?

Also, beat Kirby quest.
I can't be the only one who had a giant smile on his face when he saw dark matter.

No, it was actually pretty difficult for me as well. Although I think a lot of that is just the way that you can lose all your Kirby's at once. And some of the levels I shudder at the thought of trying to Gold Medal them (I'm looking at you, level with leaning tower and spike balls).

This game has been a slow grind for me. I love parts of it, but some of the design choices really frustrate me. No checkpoint system is one of the main reasons it took me so long to get through the game. I just beat World 4 today - and would have gotten through it a lot faster if it weren't for the dozen or so times where I would get to the end of the stage, die, get booted back to the world map and play through the stage again. Many times I would just put the game down after that. Also, it may just be me, but flicking them accurately can be a pain sometimes, and I'd go through an entire level without taking damage and then one Kirby would go too low or something and goodbye medal. As someone else mentioned, the screen doesn't seem to scroll fast enough at times, and there were more than a few instances where I'd take damage from running into an un-forseen enemy because I was near the edge of the screen.

I'd love to try and 100% this game, but after getting the message about the rainbow coins, I don't really have any desire to go further. Still very torn. Really glad to have a Kirby game with some challenge. Maybe if they had divided the levels up a little bit more, I would have more patience for them? Some levels seem really long for a portable game. So although I enjoyed it more than a traditional Kirby game, it doesn't come close to the absolute joy Canvas Curse was.

JacksUsername said:
I'd love to try and 100% this game, but after getting the message about the rainbow coins, I don't really have any desire to go further. Still very torn. Really glad to have a Kirby game with some challenge. Maybe if they had divided the levels up a little bit more, I would have more patience for them? Some levels seem really long for a portable game. So although I enjoyed it more than a traditional Kirby game, it doesn't come close to the absolute joy Canvas Curse was.

yeah no doubt, but after the bad taste in my mouth left from Epic Yarn, I was elated to be playing a kirby game that's actually enjoyable. Now I'm ready to get Return to Dreamland :)

Sinthetic

I'm on World 3 Stage 7 with all Gold Stars and all Medals. It's getting much tougher to get perfect runs. I just ran through a couple of levels and I'm totally beat. Getting the 100% is going to be a big deal when I look back at my gaming accomplishments when I'm old and wrinkly.

What scores do people have on Brawlball and Strato Patrol?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Leaning toward this game over Return to Dream Land. I'll only be able to afford (both money and time wise) one Kirby title before the Super Mario 3D Land / Skyward Sword / Mario Kart 7 onslaught.

hosannainexcelsis said:
I thought it was fun. Several interesting minigames continuing the good amount of variety in this game's level design.

I appreciated the variety in World 3, but there are certain parts in 4 that are incredibly frustrating due to the lack of checkpoints, which isn't a way I like to feel when playing Kirby. Of course, I'm overstating it a bit--I still like the game, but I'm kinda ready for it to be over (though I have been getting every medal).

I was pretty shocked to have my time played clock in at 18 hours by the end (with every medal). This is a game alright.

edit: didn't intend to have three posts in a row. My apologies!

Sinthetic

Done, totally done. That was proof that handheld games can outlast some console AAA titles.

Total completion time including time spent on the extras is 35 hours.

I feel like a badass having got the 100%... I shiver thinking about World 4 Level 9 and a few others.

That was God damn bloody hard. I am a Kirby Master if I do say so myself and I leave you with this lovely screen to show off my conquest.

2cygyvl.jpg

Seda

Sinthetic said:
Done, totally done. That was proof that handheld games can outlast some console AAA titles.

I feel like a badass having got the 100%... I shiver thinking about World 4 Level 9 and a few others.

That was God damn bloody hard. I am a Kirby Master if I do say so myself and I leave you with this lovely screen to show off my conquest.

2cygyvl.jpg

Good job! I'll probably never see that screen for myself.

Rarutos

Sinthetic said:

Wowza, job well done! I should get back to Mass Attack myself sometime...

Kazerei

Banned
Congrats! I got to 97% before I gave up. Can you take pictures of the other special shots in the game album? I unlocked the first shot, but not the other two.

Sinthetic

Thanks very much guys, I very nearly gave up myself. I would turn the game off and rage for a few minutes, then no later than 5 minutes later, be back in getting my ass beaten.

What have you got left to do for the other 3% Kazerei?

Here are the shots...

5vx3if.jpg

345j8er.jpg

Haha at how cute Kirby with the pointed feet and closed eyes is!

Maybe you could link those images above? Kind of big spoilers.

Is it necessary to get gold stars on every level in order to 100%, or do I just need to get the medals?

Those Kirbies look so happy. Makes me almost want to try for the completions, but I think I'd rather just play some more pinball or the shmup. (shoot 'em up? kirby 'em up? kirmup?)

Sinthetic

Stupacabra said:
Maybe you could link those images above? Kind of big spoilers.

Is it necessary to get gold stars on every level in order to 100%, or do I just need to get the medals?

Maybe I should, what does everyone else think?

No, you need all medals, all gold stars, all achievements complete.

Yuterald

I just completed the first world in its entirety, all Gold Stars, all Medals collected, and each stage beaten with all 10 Kirbys. This is one of the most enjoyable Kirby games I've played in awhile. It might be favorite DS one out of the 4. I can't believe how creative Hal Laboratory can be after all these games. This game feels so unbelievably fresh! The game is definitely the most challenging too if you are going for 100%.

At the moment I'm 25% done. I saw the main world map. Is there really only 4 worlds in this game though? I noticed World 2 has only 4 stages, but the first world was 10 stages long.

Sinthetic

Yuterald said:
I just completed the first world in its entirety, all Gold Stars, all Medals collected, and each stage beaten with all 10 Kirbys. This is one of the most enjoyable Kirby games I've played in awhile. It might be favorite DS one out of the 4. I can't believe how creative Hal Laboratory can be after all these games. This game feels so unbelievably fresh! The game is definitely the most challenging too if you are going for 100%.

At the moment I'm 25% done. I saw the main world map. Is there really only 4 worlds in this game though? I noticed World 2 has only 4 stages, but the first world was 10 stages long.

Each World has 12 Stages, put it this way, there are around 50 Stages to shoot for.

Top Bottom