• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Triple Deluxe |OT| Sayo-nara Suck-aaaaaaa

NEO0MJ

I forgot how much fun Kirby bosses are.

Haha, I'm always tempted to go for that, as well. That's how I played Dream Land 2 back in the day. I think you lost your powers for the bosses in that one, anyway, iirc.

That and the original Dreamland are the only Kirby games I never played.

and i miss the tornado and wáter transformations :/

Water was really fun, ut I never cared for Tornado. It was gamebreaking.

MrBadger

I'm also glad Tornado is gone. Hammer's invulnerability frames are bad enough.

I do have a little nitpick about
the true arena, and that would be the music. I'm just so bored of that theme after the amount of times I played the Superstar Ultra true arena, and the new boss themes are so energetic and just plain good that I think I'd be more motivated to beat this mode if it just played those instead. Plus I think the bland, slow guitar track doesn't really go with how fast and frantic some of these bosses behave, particularly the snake and the fire frog. I know there's a boss at the end of this mode that I've not met yet, so maybe that should be motivation enough to try and finish it.

Kazerei

Banned
Ooh yeah, Kirby's Dream Land, Kirby's Dream Land 2, and Kirby's Adventure (3D Classic) are all available on the 3DS eShop. They're not as good as Triple Deluxe, but still worth checking out.

FSLink

Banned
Went through a few more worlds of this today. Man this game oozes charm. Anybody have the Kirby "Hi"'s from this game as a .wav file or an equivalent? I want to use it as a text tone. :v

I destroyed everything in the Return to Dreamland
True Arena
with Tornado. Too powerful.

In this game
I chose to remain as cheap as possible. Archer's Camouflage is also pretty broken. Not Tornado broken, but y'know.

Well that was pretty fun, I'm not done done but the main game is out of the way at least.
It's a nice little follow up to Adventure Wii, just not quite as good on the whole.

PS: to hell with the gyro and everything it stands for.

zigg

Even better than RTDL?
Yep, though Return made great strides modernizing classic Kirby and is still a very good game.

A part of the reason is that Hypernova stomps all over the Super Abilities. And to think I was kind of scared that Hypernova would be a bad thing before I started playing this game, just based on my experience with the Supers. Those were a misstep, especially in multi.

MrBadger

I'm thinking this is the best classic-style Kirby game ever, myself.

I think I like this about the same as RTDL. This game really takes advantage of the system it's on, but RTDL had more content, (obviously) more interesting backgrounds and I did enjoy the multiplayer aspect. They both have great music but I think RTDL's soundtrack might be a tiny bit better. I think I had more fun with this one though, purely because I prefer to play Kirby on a handheld.

maxcriden

Yep, though Return made great strides modernizing classic Kirby and is still a very good game.

A part of the reason is that Hypernova stomps all over the Super Abilities. And to think I was kind of scared that Hypernova would be a bad thing before I started playing this game, just based on my experience with the Supers. Those were a misstep, especially in multi.

Ooh, weird. My wife and I switched off levels in our first (and so far only, but it was just recently) run through RTDL, I never thought about how weird Super Abilities would be in multiplayer with the action stopping each time it's used. That is odd, and I can imagine that would create some serious pacing issues. In SP, for me Hypernova so far (getting towards the end of World 5) is fun but I like the diversity of the Super Abilities just a touch better maybe.

NEO0MJ

I destroyed everything in the Return to Dreamland
True Arena
with Tornado. Too powerful.

In this game
I chose to remain as cheap as possible. Archer's Camouflage is also pretty broken. Not Tornado broken, but y'know.

How is it worse than grass/plant Kirby? It it because of the ability to shoot while hiding?

I thought it was implimented decently enough, though resetting it every now and then was tiring.
man, why is this OT so dead

It's Kirby, what were you expecting?

FaintDeftone

I finished it last night. While I enjoyed the game, I feel like it borrowed too many elements from other Nintendo platformers, giving the game an identity crisis of sorts. I also hated how the final world was basically a boss rush, which is lazy game design and one of my biggest pet peeves in gaming. Still, it's worth checking out.

hawk2025

I finished it last night. While I enjoyed the game, I feel like it borrowed too many elements from other Nintendo platformers, giving the game an identity crisis of sorts. I also hated how the final world was basically a boss rush, which is lazy game design and one of my biggest pet peeves in gaming. Still, it's worth checking out.

I think calling the last world a Boss Rush is way, WAY underselling what it actually does, which includes the brilliant final level and the absolutely amazing final boss.

Wow, this game looks sharp, almost higher res than other 3DS games, I wonder how they pulled this off. Only been playing a bit, I'd been really excited to try out the Bell power, but it feels kind of weird to use to be honest, you certainly don't feel very mobile while using it.

They're what I'd consider the weakest points of both games with an emphasis on spectacle.
I want to say there's more variety with the super abilities since there was a few different ones but even then most were pretty one note across the board. Hypernova gets used in more interesting ways than any super ability especially in later stages and swallowing trains is just plain fun to watch, but then there's that other moments where you're just kind of holding down the button waiting for the suction scene to end, as amusing to watch as some of these visual moments can be I can't imagine the novelty holds up as much on replays, by comparison most super abilities at least got done with things a bit quicker.
I guess you could say the hypernova highs are higher* but the lows are lower. Super ability sections also ended with the powerless challenge areas that added some balance to the sections which I missed having an equivalent to here.

*exception being the final boss of RTD.

I thought it was implimented decently enough, though resetting it every now and then was tiring.
Of all the 3DS gyro usage I've come across this one felt pretty high on my finicky meter either tilting too little or too much, what they ask you to do with the gyro is mostly fine but never anything that made me think it was anything particularly noteworthy.
And after Wind Waker HD had done such a good job in convincing me of gyro worth it's quickly come crashing back down.

This actually leads me onto another small step back. I figure that since RTD already tackled most of the various abilities in puzzle like rooms Triple Deluxe tries to not retread the same ground which led to a number of the puzzle rooms being variations on a previous puzzle based upon the games new elements like how you shoot the arrow through the gap, gyro tilt the water jug/weights/blocks with flammable rope 2 or 3 times each. Aside from the repetition I just don't think the gyro rooms were as good and there's less of a push for using the whole ability lineup as you progress through the game.

I know you mentioned previously in the thread that some elements seemed like they were cribbing from other Nintendo platformers but Kirby's had his own barrel cannons since the SNES days.
The Mario collectables comparison does share the same angle where the more puzzling or skill requiring moments are based around the nabbing of collectables but that's pretty much par the course for the genre I'd say and Kirby handles it in a way that compliments the games copy ability dynamic. Basically I still think it feels distinctly Kirby like and stands out on its own.

Boss rush was a bit much though, even by expected Kirby standards it never felt quite as deflating as it did here.

TreIII

I'm thinking this is the best classic-style Kirby game ever, myself.

I would agree with this...even if some of my favorite powers from past games still have yet to come back into the fold!

In any case, while I loved this game? I'm really hoping that by the time HAL may be ready to make another Kirby adventure game (for me, at least, preferably for Wii U), that they may think about finally making a full-featured 3D platformer.

All I could ask for is a 3D Kirby that plays as well as Triple Deluxe (with perhaps Koo, Kine, Rick and the other animal friends in the mix), and that'd already be making me happy.

Well that was pretty fun, I'm not done done but the main game is out of the way at least.
It's a nice little follow up to Adventure Wii, just not quite as good on the whole.

I made to world 3 in Return to Dreamland and gave up. Gameplay was solid but the presentation was so blah that I couldn't bring myself to care. Triple Deluxe grabbed me by the balls in the first minute.

Maybe I should give RtDL another shot or something

NEO0MJ

Just beat the game! Took me about 8:30 hours to collect all the sun stones and beat every level.
It was a lot of fun, and a nice change of pace from Dark Souls 2. Not sure if it's better than Super Star or Return to Dreamland but it's really close. Final boss wasn't as amazing as RTDL but it was a nice change and the scene at the end
where Kirby and Sectonia were just staring each other was hilarious. It felt like Kirby had no idea what to do with the giant laser he just inhaled.

Also, I loved the boss intro for world 5. Was I the only one who thought of this scene during it?

I made to world 3 in Return to Dreamland and gave up. Gameplay was solid but the presentation was so blah that I couldn't bring myself to care. Triple Deluxe grabbed me by the balls in the first minute.

I consider that kind of strange because these games share the same art direction and style across the board with RtDL generally having the more unique looking backdrops.
Though Triple Deluxe uses strong presentation to its advantage as well, the foreground and background dynamic makes the game feel more lively and layered, spurred on further by the 3D effect which makes things pop with explosive colour. It's also a bit less tropey with the level themes, if you made it through 3 worlds of RtDL then that's GRASS, DESERT, BEACH/OCEAN if i'm not mistaken with SNOW to come, a bit too by the numbers even with the bright and bold backgrounds, Triple Deluxe seems to have more visual variance per stage (though lollipop land was a bit of a misnomer).

I consider that kind of strange because these games share the same art direction and style across the board with RtDL generally having the more unique looking backdrops.
Though Triple Deluxe uses strong presentation to its advantage as well, the foreground and background dynamic makes the game feel more lively and layered, spurred on further by the 3D effect which makes things pop with explosive colour. It's also a bit less tropey with the level themes, if you made it through 3 worlds of RtDL then that's GRASS, DESERT, BEACH/OCEAN if i'm not mistaken with SNOW to come, a bit too by the numbers even with the bright and bold backgrounds, Triple Deluxe seems to have more visual variance per stage (though lollipop land was a bit of a misnomer).

It was a variety of things. Neither the music or graphics of Return to Dreamland grabbed me. Like you said, despite a similar artstyle, Triple Deluxe really pops off the screen. I also recall RtDL's level design being a bit more sparse (or loose) - probably to accommodate four player coop. RtDL's level gimmicks weren't nearly as imaginative as Triple Deluxe's, either IIRC. The sheer amount of background/foreground stuff in Triple Deluxe is commendable. It's an occasional gimmick in most games...Kirby just leverages it so consistently.

RtDL did have some neat powers. Water is sorely, sorely missed.

Triple Deluxe just does it for me I guess. I don't think it beats Super Star, which I consider to be one of the best games ever, but it's up there.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Between this game and DKCR3D my faith in 2d platformers is restored. Not that I've played many in recent years but these pretty much blow the water outta classic 8/16bit ones and are the total opposite of stale! Since I can't decide to place Triple Deluxe above or below Mass Attack I won't go a best game ranking but instead how about a cuteness one!

Cuteness Rank:
Mass Attack > Triple Deluxe > Canvas Curse > Amazing Mirror

The neat thing is that there were little hints of it throughout the levels, enemy design, etc.
I thought it was really neat :)
Said hints musta gone way over my head then! Even in retrospect
*some* enemies
point towards it but nothing else to me. My knowledge of this series isn't all that large but most everything else seemed pretty normal for the Kirby world.
Was that beanstalk flower land always part of Dreamland I take it? The intro made me think a buncha worlds/levels from Dreamland were sprouted up into the sky!

I'm not sure if that was a good way of doing it or not. On one hand, it woulda been nice to learn more about the world we were in beforehand, on the other, I found myself skipping even the briefest of cutscenes and I never used to read a word Magalor said in RTDL since I just wanted to go back to playing the game.
I wasn't bothered by the lack of a story, just confused/surprised there was one. Pretty rad playing through what was basically a cutscene-less & story-less game. Just focusing on all the neat levels and saving all the blahblah for last might've been a good idea in the end.

I thought it was fine for parts where you were kept still to do a simple task, but for the gondola parts yeah it sucked.

btw I didn't even know the 3DS had gyros until this game... WarioWare: Twisted 2, when Nintendo!?

MrBadger

I really liked the final boss, but I'll agree with the posts criticising the final world for having a boss rush. Considering you unlock a boss rush from beating the last boss just like any other Kirby,
and you fight harder versions of them as King Dedede,
it seemed a bit pointless for the game to make you fight everyone again. Good way to make you get bored of all the really good bosses in the game.
The part when Hypernova Kirby inhales Wispy Woods's health bar is brilliant, though.

Got all those sun stones,
and got a keychain? man they don't do 100% item awards like they used to, granted I don't advocate locking final bosses behind such things either like say Kirby 64 did. I do like how there are a few keychain sprites made for non sprite games, don't think i've seen any Kirby 64 love though.

Most EX stages in this game are pretty great (the last unfortunately was not so much), shoehorning in the vast majority of the RtDL soundtrack is neat as well if occasionally unfitting. Playing these sort of stages show that level design potential that I wish Kirby games would push for more of the game, but I suppose the role it fills is the intentionally easy and friendly platformer series so it should probably just stay that way.

How is it worse than grass/plant Kirby? It it because of the ability to shoot while hiding?

Yes, plus the fact that it's long range to start with. I never have to jump to hit an enemy or anything. My methods were pretty much Magic-Star Arrow (which I did shout out every now and then because why not) until the enemy actually did something, then hide.

For
Dark Meta Knight
I had to use the hiding arrows, then duck back into cover
because he guards most shots, charging up a Magic-Star Arrow would often be a waste

zigg

In any case, while I loved this game? I'm really hoping that by the time HAL may be ready to make another Kirby adventure game (for me, at least, preferably for Wii U), that they may think about finally making a full-featured 3D platformer.
I want to see the inspiration that went into Canvas Curse and Mass Attack make another appearance, though I'm not sure 3DS is really the place for that like DS was.

Something for Wii U could be interesting, though…

NEO0MJ

One way the final battle delighted me was how
When you fought 3D's first form and it didn't have his theme I was really disappointed, but then he got real and the King's revenge version played. It was so hype, god do I love his theme.

Got all those sun stones,
and got a keychain? man they don't do 100% item awards like they used to, granted I don't advocate locking final bosses behind such things either like say Kirby 64 did. I do like how there are a few keychain sprites made for non sprite games, don't think i've seen any Kirby 64 love though.

Yeah. Still, the EX levels themselves were a lot of fun.

maxcriden

Dude, you so should. It's awesome and is really the 3DW to this game's 3DL.

NEO0MJ

Just beat one of the bonus modes,
King 3D's tour. Had a lot of fun with the new bosses.
Think I'll now give this game a rest.

So, which power in Kirby Fighters is your favorite?

To be honost I haven't tried that mode, considering I'm the only one of my pals with a 3DS. Is there any point to that mode in single player?

Kazerei

Banned
To be honost I haven't tried that mode, considering I'm the only one of my pals with a 3DS. Is there any point to that mode in single player?

You need to beat the single player mode with every copy ability on any difficulty to get 100% file completion, if you care about that. It's also just fun to mess around in, even if you're only with CPUs.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I wish the keychains had been attached to Streetpass instead of the food. I hate spending playcoins in getting repeated keychains. -_-

You need to beat the single player mode with every copy ability on any difficulty to get 100% file completion, if you care about that. It's also just fun to mess around in, even if you're only with CPUs.

Wait what? So the game only has 6 worlds? Since I had only 50% by the end of world 5 I had assumed the game had at least 10 worlds. D:

Kazerei

Banned
Wait what? So the game only has 6 worlds? Since I had only 50% by the end of world 5 I had assumed the game had at least 10 worlds. D:

Yeah, there's only 6 worlds in the main story mode. I was at 60-something% when I first beat it, with all the sun stones obtained along the way. The rest of the 100% comes from collecting all keychains, completing Dedede Tour, the Arena, the True Arena, Dedede's Drum Dash, and Kirby FIghters.

Just beat it, all Sunstones and 127 keychains for a 70% completion rate. Took me about 11 hours. Messed around in each of the of the other modes for about five minutes apiece. Might get more into them at a later time. It was really fun, but not a cream of the crop 3DS game imo. Level design didn't seem as consistent as the other Kirby games I played, but there were a lot of neat ideas utilizing the 3D effect to help it stand out. Powers were a mixed bag, but there were some really cool ones like Bell Kirby and the tire one (forgot what it was called). Boss fights were probably the best I've played in the series... Especially the final one... And pretty challenging if you went in naked!

Oh, and I definitely agree that Kirby is pretty ruthless in this game.
The segment that had you decimate the wadledee's houses was just cruel. It reminded me of the three little pigs haha.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finished this a few days ago, along with Dedede Tour & at 96% completion. I got to the final boss twice on True Arena only to
die from the laser blast because guarding pushes me off the ledge & first time, I didn't know it would shoot where I was since I was floating in the air to dodge.
Not sure if I want to deal with that again, though Archer is pretty good since I can charge & aim shots. I heard it's even better because of certain reasons? Edit: Or something about Beetle & using Up+B?

& 182/256 keychains. Part of me wants to see all of them, but not sure if I want to deal with grinding. Aside from play coins, any other method to easily get them/best level to replay?

Zalman

Only at World 4 so far, but I'm seeing so many references in this game, and I'm not really sure how many of them were intentional.
There's the Three Little Pigs one, which I think was fairly obvious. Then there's the level in World 4 where the goal disappears and you have to suck up the ghost to make it appear again. That's totally Luigi's Mansion. And I think it was in the same level where there was a piano with a mouth attacking you. That reminded me of Super Mario 64.

Overall I'm really enjoying this game so far. I recently replayed what I think are the best Kirby games of all time (Nightmare in Dream Land and Super Star Ultra), and I have to say this game is right up there with them. This might even be my number one favorite Kirby game ever, and I'm not even done yet. The level design is incredibly creative. Nice use of the foreground and background. Excellent music. This is the definitive Kirby experience and I hope this game will get the recognition it deserves.

So now I've played Epic Yarn, Amazing Mirror, Mass Attack, and Triple Deluxe. I'm thinking of going for either Return to Dreamland, Tilt 'n' Tumble, or Canvas Curse next. Any recommendations?

NEO0MJ

So now I've played Epic Yarn, Amazing Mirror, Mass Attack, and Triple Deluxe. I'm thinking of going for either Return to Dreamland, Tilt 'n' Tumble, or Canvas Curse next. Any recommendations?

Canvas Curse, considering you just beat a standard Kirby game. After that return to dream land.

Resilient

Grabbed it today from JB. Seems to be selling well - I grabbed the last copy around 10am from my local.

Played about an hour so far. My only gripe is that the game seems slow - movement etc.

Enjoying it though, the game is vibrant and colorful.

After playing 47 hours of Dark Souls 2 in the last three weeks this is perfect.

You are me

Thanks guys. Yeah... I'm still not entirely sure what makes a "standard" Kirby game... I feel like I've played mostly experimental ones so far, and I think they're great. I'll search around and probably play what I can find for cheapest first haha.

You know, I like this game, but I'm not sure that I like it more than Return to Dreamland or Kirby Super Star Ultra.

It didn't feel like there were enough new abilities, the super gimmick was lacking (I prefer the ultimate weapon approach, though the Super Abilities in KRtD were also awesome and super creative), and the Sun Stone collecting just grew tedious. I feel like that other guy did... I'm like "Oh, this is super neat" then immediately switch to "now where the hell is that Sun Stone." That's fine in specific contexts (Great Cave Offensive) or in short bursts, but I feel like it broke up the game a little.

I also feel like the minigames were lacking a bit. They tried for more depth, I suppose, but came out feeling a little tedious, IMO.

Overall it's a great game, but it feels... lacking.

Thanks guys. Yeah... I'm still not entirely sure what makes a "standard" Kirby game... I feel like I've played mostly experimental ones so far, and I think they're great. I'll search around and probably play what I can find for cheapest first haha.

Any Kirby game that's largely a platformer and involves Kirby sucking up enemies as a key mechanic. He should also be able to fly of his own power. This definition includes KatAM, I know. But I consider that game to be relatively standard. It's not like Mass Attack or Epic Yarn.

Top Bottom