• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Triple Deluxe |OT| Sayo-nara Suck-aaaaaaa

FaintDeftone

I picked the game up over the weekend and am currently on the 4th world. Definitely enjoying the game, but it feels like they've borrowed so much stuff from other Nintendo platformers, like Donkey Kong's launch barrels and Mario's star collecting in each stage.

Hylian7

Why is the main menu music from Smash Bros Melee? lol. HAL really loves Smash Bros.

I heard it at first and thought it was super familiar, but couldn't pin it.
But it wasn't from Melee originally. It was originally from Kirby Super Star.

I finished the main game last night. Nice to see there is stuff left. The game was great. The biggest complaint I have is that Kirby Fighters isn't playable online. I feel this is a missed opportunity, and even if it wasn't balanced could have been extremely fun. Also I love that you can do SSB style roll dodges and air dodges now.

On another note I will never understand why Leaf is in this game instead of Water. Water was far and away a better power than Leaf.

Figured I would take a break from Golf and play this a bit last nite. Ended up playing until 2am. I got all stars on W-1 & 2. I played again this morning and got all Stars up to the boss on W-3. I this will def be in my top games of this year. Classic vintage Nintendo. The level design, the soundtrack, the power ups.... I can't put it down.

El Odio

Banned
I don't get why they added time trail street pass features to
Dedede Tour.
Even with the shortcuts it takes about an hour to do at the minimum.

Yuterald

If only those people played Yoshi going for 100% in each level, that will make the game harder than any modern 2D Nintendo platformer except maybe DK....

Are we talking regular/normal stages here or just generally completing modern day Nintendo platformers at 100%? I just got done 100%'ing all stages (including EX) in Yoshi's New Island and aside from the final two (5-S & 6-S) special stages, they're not too intimidating as a whole. The hardest thing about that game is finding some of the hidden red coin trigger spots, so it's more about your exploration ability (willingness to search every nook and cranny on a screen on your own) rather than player skill. Making it to the end of the level with 30 stars can be quite tricky on particular stages (primarily boss levels), but the fact that you don't have to get all objectives done in one run makes 100%'ing the game rather chill/easy. Completing a stage with 30 stars is even made easier by the fact that you could potentially farm an egg-shooter until it pops out red eggs to make up for any hits/mistakes made during a stage (where applicable, as not every stage has those egg-shooters).

As I mentioned above, if we're talking completing all facets/challenges modern day Nintendo platformers provide these days, I think getting Gold medals in New Super Mario Bros. U is FAR more ridiculous than anything in Yoshi, maybe even as/more difficult than some Gold/Shiny Gold medals in the more recent DK games. If we're still counting the original Wii, I think some of the extra stages and their objectives in Wario Land: Shake It were more challenging than the EX offerings in Yoshi. No damaging the final boss for that one objective in Shake It was no joke either!

OT, I've made my way to World 5 with everything collected and it's so good still. Between Tropical Freeze and Kirby, I'm actually not sure which one is doing it for me more than the other. It might actually, surprisingly, be Kirby...

Jesus, just beat level 1-1 and this is one of the most positive first impressions I've had of a game. The menu music is awesome, the world map music is awesome, the first level music is awesome, the graphics are awesome, the framerate is awesome, the 3D effect is awesome, the sound effects are satisfying, etc... This is the total opposite of Return to Dreamland, which felt extremely safe and sterile. Triple Deluxe is brimming with life and charm from moment one. Kirby's "Hiiiiiiiii! :D" upon entering the world map melted me. Can't fucking wait to play more. Well played, HAL.

maxcriden

Are we talking regular/normal stages here or just generally completing modern day Nintendo platformers at 100%? I just got done 100%'ing all stages (including EX) in Yoshi's New Island and aside from the final two (5-S & 6-S) special stages, they're not too intimidating as a whole. The hardest thing about that game is finding some of the hidden red coin trigger spots, so it's more about your exploration ability (willingness to search every nook and cranny on a screen on your own) rather than player skill. Making it to the end of the level with 30 stars can be quite tricky on particular stages (primarily boss levels), but the fact that you don't have to get all objectives done in one run makes 100%'ing the game rather chill/easy. Completing a stage with 30 stars is even made easier by the fact that you could potentially farm an egg-shooter until it pops out red eggs to make up for any hits/mistakes made during a stage (where applicable, as not every stage has those egg-shooters).

As I mentioned above, if we're talking completing all facets/challenges modern day Nintendo platformers provide these days, I think getting Gold medals in New Super Mario Bros. U is FAR more ridiculous than anything in Yoshi, maybe even as/more difficult than some Gold/Shiny Gold medals in the more recent DK games. If we're still counting the original Wii, I think some of the extra stages and their objectives in Wario Land: Shake It were more challenging than the EX offerings in Yoshi. No damaging the final boss for that one objective in Shake It was no joke either!

OT, I've made my way to World 5 with everything collected and it's so good still. Between Tropical Freeze and Kirby, I'm actually not sure which one is doing it for me more than the other. It might actually, surprisingly, be Kirby...

Those are excellent points. To be fair I was thinking in comparison to 100%ing modern Nintendo platformers. I guess I should mention I have beaten YNI but I have not yet taken on the task of 100%ing the levels, but when I do so I plan to do it as required in the original YI, so that would mean 100%ing each level in one run. I had forgotten in this game you don't have to do it that way, though. I would say shiny golds in DKCR/TF and golds in Challenge Mode in NSMBU are unquestionably some of the most difficult Nintendo challenges ever, but since they're not required for 100% completion of either game, I guess I can no-prize my way out a bit, although TBH I didn't think of them when I wrote that post. One day I hope to be able to do any of these tasks, so far I haven't been able to get many golds in NSMBU and I've barely done time trials in DKCR. These all just strike me as some plenty challenging tasks. I guess my real point was that you can make YNI plenty difficult, at least as tricky as a regular playthrough of a game in the NSMB series, if you want to.

So there's no option to play with a Y/B control scheme instead of B/A, right? I can use the latter fine but Y/B feels a bit more natural to me. Pretty minor thing but it's the only issue I'm having.

Yuterald

Those are excellent points. To be fair I was thinking in comparison to 100%ing modern Nintendo platformers. I guess I should mention I have beaten YNI but I have not yet taken on the task of 100%ing the levels, but when I do so I plan to do it as required in the original YI, so that would mean 100%ing each level in one run. I had forgotten in this game you don't have to do it that way, though. I would say shiny golds in DKCR/TF and golds in Challenge Mode in NSMBU are unquestionably some of the most difficult Nintendo challenges ever, but since they're not required for 100% completion of either game, I guess I can no-prize my way out a bit, although TBH I didn't think of them when I wrote that post. One day I hope to be able to do any of these tasks, so far I haven't been able to get many golds in NSMBU and I've barely done time trials in DKCR. These all just strike me as some plenty challenging tasks. I guess my real point was that you can make YNI plenty difficult, at least as tricky as a regular playthrough of a game in the NSMB series, if you want to.

Yeah, I hear ya. I sort of wish there was some sort of stamp/icon for your profile or stage for doing all the objectives in "one go" for Yoshi's New Island. You do sort of get this orange/red flower circle on your scorecard at the end of a stage, but it's not recorded anywhere (at least to my knowledge). Unless there's some super secret hidden variable that keeps tracks of stages that have been completed in "one go" and it's just that not enough people have attempted such a task (or care enough to even try). Maybe there is a hidden title screen unlock, hmm...

Yeah, I was mad into the original DK Returns on Wii and got all Shiny Golds on top of the standard 200% completion or whatever it was. I've only scratched the surface on Tropical Freeze before getting burned out and the same can be said for the Gold medals in New Super Mario Bros. U. I think that challenge mode shit in Mario U is nuts, to be honest. I'm still more intimidated by the thoughts of returning to that mode more so than the Shiny golds in Tropical Freeze, hah!

maxcriden

Yeah, I hear ya. I sort of wish there was some sort of stamp/icon for your profile or stage for doing all the objectives in "one go" for Yoshi's New Island. You do sort of get this orange/red flower circle on your scorecard at the end of a stage, but it's not recorded anywhere (at least to my knowledge). Unless there's some super secret hidden variable that keeps tracks of stages that have been completed in "one go" and it's just that not enough people have attempted such a task (or care enough to even try). Maybe there is a hidden title screen unlock, hmm...

Yeah, I was mad into the original DK Returns on Wii and got all Shiny Golds on top of the standard 200% completion or whatever it was. I've only scratched the surface on Tropical Freeze before getting burned out and the same can be said for the Gold medals in New Super Mario Bros. U. I think that challenge mode shit in Mario U is nuts, to be honest. I'm still more intimidated by the thoughts of returning to that mode more so than the Shiny golds in Tropical Freeze, hah!

Ooh, maybe there will be a hidden title screen unlock for completing stages in one go. I hadn't realize you get any indication of doing so in the game. Well, if I do so before you end up doing so, I'll be sure to let you know. :)

As for DKCR, I played most of the Wii version but didn't really come to love the game until the 3DS iteration, and time trials are pretty borked in that one unfortunately, in part due to 30 fps. I love that port otherwise so I can't complain. As for NSMBU, the Challenge Mode as you said is just unbelievably difficult. I love it, though. Beating the Fliprus Lake speedrun challenge was a proud moment for me, and I don't think I even got gold in that. It just shows the brilliance of that level design in these games that they're really open to your own play style. Speaking of which, I still haven't beaten that final level in 3DW, but I do plan to go back through the game and replay it with no coin, no enemy, and no power-up runs, and one run with none of the above allowed. Should be fun!

You guys are nuts lol. So much stuff to collect in a single stage, AND you can't get hit, AND you have to do it in one run. I didn't even know they eliminated the one run requirement in Yoshi's New Island until Yuterald brought it up, and that seems like a universally positive change. I really think the original YI's developers were too full of themselves when designing the 100% requirements for a stage. It's just ridiculous.

Good on ya if you enjoy it, though :)

maxcriden

You guys are nuts lol. So much stuff to collect in a single stage, AND you can't get hit, AND you have to do it in one run. I didn't even know they eliminated the one run requirement in Yoshi's New Island until Yuterald brought it up, and that seems like a universally positive change. I really think the original YI's developers were too full of themselves when designing the 100% requirements for a stage. It's just ridiculous.

Good on ya if you enjoy it, though :)

Haha, we are nuts. And we like it! :) (And hey, I think half the stuff you've done in TF is obscenely difficult to pull off and very impressive to accomplish, and way further than what I've done in that game so far!)

Haha, we are nuts. And we like it! :) (And hey, I think half the stuff you've done in TF is obscenely difficult to pull off and very impressive to accomplish, and way further than what I've done in that game so far!)

You're too kind ;), though I would much rather complete TF on hard mode that go for 100% in a Yoshi's Island game :O

Back to Triple Deluxe, just finished world 1. That boss was something else. And the next world is called...Lollipop Land?

happy-cuteness-overload-l.png

maxcriden

You're too kind ;), though I would much rather complete TF on hard mode that go for 100% in a Yoshi's Island game :O

Back to Triple Deluxe, just finished world 1. That boss was something else. And the next world is called...Lollipop Land?

Ah ha, you haven't seen anything yet! The game just gets more awesome. (I'm almost done with World 4 now. It's so good.)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Awwww I had like 30 lives saved up after the first 2 worlds but now they're all gone! Why does going back to the main menu reset your life count?? >.< Wanted ta check other stuff out but now I'ma stick to the main game until its over!

World 2 down. I hope the background/foreground interactions don't let up. It can feel tacked on in a lot of games but Triple Deluxe has one of the best, and (most importantly) consistent applications of the idea. Very creative.

Just missed the first two sunstones in 3-1. I guess this is where the difficulty ramps up? Haven't missed a single one up to now.

Shame there doesn't seem to be more interest in this. I think it hangs with 3DS' best.

Marjar

Banned
Oh man, that last boss is something else. I wasn't expecting a boss that kickass in a Kirby game. It was actually pretty difficult.

This is easily my favorite Kirby game.

Wow. I do feel like a monster in this game. Poor Waddle Dees.

When I
sucked up the first house, I started to quote the Three Little Pigs. Then I saw the second house and realized that was exactly where they were going... and I was indeed the Big Bad Wolf.
Later
with the pipes, those Waddle Dees struggled so hard to escape the vacuum. Alas, they could not.

I'm currently enjoying SM3DL, but when I finish that I'm considering this.

Which is a better buy; this game or DKCR3D at its new $30 price point?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Tough call...

Both have unique control/feel.
Both have a fuckton of creativity.
Both have a lot of content to keep playing for.

I'd say... How much do you like challenge? How much to you like charm?

DKCR has more challenges, most of which are optional, but they can still really test your mastery. Kirby has some, but not like DKCR. It really makes you think and search things out and play many times over, sometimes just to find the hidden pieces, but then time trials hit and you're like "daaamn there is a whole different way of doing this" and you figure that out too. And it's hard.

Kirby has charm and style to insane levels. DKCR also has a lot of charm and style, but not like this. I feel like this is up there with Yoshi's Island in terms of richness, but just Kirby style. There are plenty of excuses to keep playing even aside from optional challenges so you can continue enjoying all the love put into it. It's also 60fps instead of 30fps and the use of 3D is better.

Petrie

Banned
So much backlog but I want this too. Should really finish Bravely, Luigi, and maybe start Star Fox and Ocarina before I buy more though. Plus the whole second part of 3D world.

Will wait for $20 I guess. But it will be painful.

Zing

Banned
I'm a DKC fan and not generally a Kirby fan, but would recommend Kirby over DKC without hesitation. Besides, why play the inferior version of DKC?

I know it's for aesthetics, but it's really odd how Kirby is at an angle. He stands and walks sideways so you can see his face at all times. It's especially prominent when you are in an area with the rear view mirror. You can see his feet and see how he is walking at a 45 degree angle. It's similar to Zelda and how everything is tilted backward.

I'm up to world five. I've managed to get all sunstones except a few in world three. I'm also starting to accumulate a lot of duplicate keychains. I wish keychains were shared amongst all three save files. My daughter and I would love to cooperate to collect them.

I'll be sad when I'm done with this game.

NEO0MJ

I'm currently enjoying SM3DL, but when I finish that I'm considering this.

Personally I think you should play DKCR on the Wii. It looks better and runs at 60 FPS. Plus you can remove the motion controls with homebrew.

This is easily the funniest Kirby game to date. The Waddle Dee genocide is comically over the top.

Like in 5-2,
you get Hypernova and have to suck up the Waddle Dees in the background through a tube. One Waddle Dee frantically fights not to die, so he grabs onto a rock as he's being sucked up through the tube. Of course, Kirby's power is too much. As you pull him away with Hypernova, he pulls the rock out of the lava, revealing the exit. And it's an excellent use of 3D as well.

Kinsei

Banned
This is easily the funniest Kirby game to date. The Waddle Dee genocide is comically over the top.

Like in 5-2,
you get Hypernova and have to suck up the Waddle Dees in the background through a tube. One Waddle Dee frantically fights not to die, so he grabs onto a rock as he's being sucked up through the tube. Of course, Kirby's power is too much. As you pull him away with Hypernova, he pulls the rock out of the lava, revealing the exit. And it's an excellent use of 3D as well.

Yeah that is great.

Just finished the main campaign, I've got three or four levels to go back to and grab a Sun Stone I missed to complete my Sun Stones--I'll finish off the
bonus stages
at that point. At this point, here are my thoughts on it.

KTD runs 60fps even in 3D, has amazing controls and combat, the level design is both focused and filled with secrets and puzzles, the boss battles
aren't the same as they used to be at all, the new bosses are really really deep, and the final boss battle was easily the best one in a mainline Kirby game and the first since Kirby's Adventure to really require thought and strategizing.

The powers are really fun and some have some broken abilities--
Stone Uppercut and the flaming Rising Hammer
come to mind (that also gives
Hammer
a fire property for lighting fuses or burning things). The new powers are spectacular, Archer was my early favorite but Circus is a good high-level one and Whip (returning from Return To Dreamland, which was nowhere near as good as this one) is a surprisingly effective boss-killer.
Hammer/stone/archer
will let you power through some of the bosses, but it's more fun to play vanilla Kirby or take something in like Spear or Ninja.
Flowery Woods
can be nullified with
Stone Uppercuts before she goes through all her patterns
but most powers will have a tough time with her and you'll need to learn her fight... and that's just the first boss!

Also, after you beat it, it
unlocks DededeTour, where you go through the stages as Dedede, facing more and stronger enemies and being timed for StreetPass scores.
Kirby Smash (sorry, Kirby Fighters) is really sweet and single-cart, and the rhythm game has a lot of depth. The
Arena and True Arena
return. I'm really enjoying it so much more in its campaign and additional modes than Super Star that it's not even funny. It's better than all the action campaigns, and informed by The Great Cave Offensive's puzzles, with tons and tons of new ideas. Also, the rest of Nintendo's teams should take pointers on the art direction of each stage, goddamn. It's my favorite Kirby game next to the best game in the entire series,
Mass Attack :)

Beetle makes boss fights pretty damn easy. The Up+B, particularly.

Also, Stone wrecks as well.

The other abilities vary. The EX stages are a treat. That was some pretty difficult platforming for a Kirby game; I imagine you'll have fun with it.

What's really, really hard, on the other hand, is fucking Kirby Fighters on Very Hard. Hoooolllllyyyyyy shitttt. I got wrecked so many times. When I got to
Shadow Kirby
... Jeez.

Kazerei

Banned
I just beat the story and saw the credits. Took a little over 8 hours and I'm at 60% complete. I've been collecting all the sun stones along the way, but I missed most of the gold keychains, haven't done the EX levels, and haven't done any of the side modes. I'm pretty happy with the amount of content in the game.

Beetle Kirby is my new favorite ability. Up+B is overpowered, and dash+B is great too. But most importantly, skewering enemies on the horn is hilarious as fuck. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So I ended up nearly 90%ing the game at the moment, but have been distracted from it for a while. It's not 100%, but it'll do to make an adequate judgement on it.

I think I'll do a writeup soon for sure. Probably in the vein of my OoT/Rhythm Thief ones, though.

zigg

I just beat the story and saw the credits. Took a little over 8 hours and I'm at 60% complete. I've been collecting all the sun stones along the way, but I missed most of the gold keychains, haven't done the EX levels, and haven't done any of the side modes. I'm pretty happy with the amount of content in the game.
I am so far behind on gold keychains and still annoyed that there's no indication which levels I've collected them in (save the idea of matching the keychain collection to a GameFAQs list or something.)

But yeah, this is a very well-rounded game and tons of fun.

Beetle Kirby is my new favorite ability. Up+B is overpowered, and dash+B is great too. But most importantly, skewering enemies on the horn is hilarious as fuck. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!
This game is hella dark. &#128516;

Beetle Kirby's B combo is crazy. I daresay it's better than Up + B on bosses. I almost cleared The Arena on my first run, but I accidently dived into a pit during the final boss. :/

The True Arena is a bit harder, as expected. But I committed suicide there as well. We'll have to try again another time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Beetle Kirby's B combo is crazy. I daresay it's better than Up + B on bosses. I almost cleared The Arena on my first run, but I accidently dived into a pit during the final boss. :/
It is. Up+B gives you some invincibility pretty much, but the B combo is stronger. Couple that with blocks, and you'll get rid of shit much faster.

Beetle Kirby's B combo is crazy. I daresay it's better than Up + B on bosses.
B is stronger, but Up + B is invincible. Either way, Beetle is OP for sure. I do not see how to beat the final boss without it or dying in between.
I loved the game, but man was it easy. Never got close to a game over compared to 3D World. Still it was fun overall.

NEO0MJ

I loved the game, but man was it easy. Never got close to a game over compared to 3D World. Still it was fun overall.

Kirby games were never really dificult, though. Only times I ever to play seriously in a Kirby game was Revenge of the King in Super Star Ultra and EX mode in Return to Dream Land.

maxcriden

Kirby games were never really dificult, though. Only times I ever to play seriously in a Kirby game was Revenge of the King in Super Star Ultra and EX mode in Return to Dream Land.

I haven't played those, but Mass Attack was pretty tough to 100%.

Started playing last night, its a lot of fun already got to world 3 pretty sure I've gotten every rare key chain and sun stone along the way so far including the ex levels. Got a gold on the first Dedede game which wasn't very difficult outside. Can you get a plat on the dedede game if you perfect still need to do a run where I don't miss a back beat.

Kirby the fighters seems kind of wonky, I think I like it but it feels kind of last minute thrown together as the powers don't seem well balanced. It does make me thirsty for smash 4 though

I agree, but I had some trouble with Treasure in Super Star and the time trials in Return to Dreamland. I was a bit disappointed only True Arena is the only challenge in the game (Dedede Drum as well since it is hard to get used to). I was hoping they would bring back time trials.

StingX2

Finished this on the weekend and loved this game a lot. Return to Dreamland suffered from a lot of repetitive levels like they found a gimmick and said lets use this 6 times. Triple Deluxe felt fresh and when they rehashed a gimmick they did all of them at once like the Hypernova level that ends with
amazing Flowery Woods inhaling

New powers are great and none feel wasted or useless. Right amount of challenge to I seek in a kirby game, not likely a goty winner for me but a top 10 for sure

Top Bottom