• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Triple Deluxe |OT| Sayo-nara Suck-aaaaaaa

Why is the main menu music from Smash Bros Melee? lol. HAL really loves Smash Bros.

I heard it at first and thought it was super familiar, but couldn't pin it.

El Odio

Banned
Late level spoilers:
I lost it in 6-8 when you suck up flowery woods with hyper nova and even his health bar gets sucked up, such an awesome display of power.
Honestly, I think my favorite part of this game is how it's gotten less restrictive in what abilities you need in order to progress. In past games like RTDL you usually got forced into sucking up any enemy near a door or the start of a section if you wanted to find secrets but they've really loosened up on that. Seems they realized that they could make puzzles without restricting you to one ability and it makes for more interesting playthroughs.

FSLink

Banned
Why is the main menu music from Smash Bros Melee? lol. HAL really loves Smash Bros.

I heard it at first and thought it was super familiar, but couldn't pin it.
The All-Stars mode theme? It was actually from a Kirby game first. (Great Cave Offensive save room from Kirby Superstar)

EDIT: Oh my gah Archer Kirby's crawling animation. Adorable.

I just beat it last night and had fun. I got all of the shines, but I haven't gotten all of the keychains. I really don't want to try grinding through the levels to get more keychains.

Also, Kirby Fighters is so damn awesome.

Just made it to 6-4. I missed a lot of shine stones, I wonder how many it takes to open up the last boss?

Also, still have not beaten Stage 4 Dedede. Got platinum in the first and second level though.

RM8

I just played through the first 4 levels. So, so good! Bell Kirby has to be one of my favorite Kirby power ups yet. The music is superb, same with the presentation which is usually great with Kirby games.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
This was definitely the cutest Kirby game yet.
That final attack was insane.

Yeah the face takes were cute and awesome.

------------

So yeah.
I beat the true final boss. But since I lack in skill I cheesed it with Stone Kirby. Still a cool boss fight though. Kinda nightmarish though. I love it.

RM8

I was supposed to play mostly Mario Golf with a side of Kirby, but the roles have been switched.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The cutscenes in this game look really odd...like the models and movement reminds me of like a slightly better looking Playstation-era cutscene, but I mean that in a sort of retro-charming way.

Music is TIGHT. I kind of miss the Ability-related puzzles from past Kirby games though, even if they did make things a bit more linear, I always make sure to inhale the minibosses as I keep thinking I'll need to use their power for a Sunstone.

Just beat it! So good!

EFFING LOST IT when the camera kept panning back between Fat Kirby and Sectonia, lol

sooooooo excited to dive into all this content/collecting keychains

This game is awesome. I really like the new abilities, especially Beetle and Circus. Music is great, graphics are perfect, and the use of 3D is brilliant. It's even a bit challenging sometimes, for a Kirby game anyway.

Okay, seriously, this game is doing some sort of post-modern deconstruction of Kirby as the hero.

In 3-5,
you relive the story of the three little pigs. The game literally situates you in a story book fable with Waddle Dees as the pigs. And that makes you the wolf.

So the game has you hypernova the homes of two poor Waddle Dees completely out of existence. Finally, instead of running into a stone home, they try to find shelter in some tower that defends them.

Sure, the tower itself attacks you (Kirby). But the entire time, the Waddle Dees aren't throwing stuff at you. They are trembling and cowering in fear. The developers took the time to animate Waddle Dees dreading their own mortality, and this lasts as long as the entire encounter does.

You're a force of psychological terror. And then consider that the game has already established through Bandana Waddle Dee that not all Waddle Dees are "bad guys."

So who's really the bad guy in this story?

yeah I dunno.
I'm kinda disgusted by all the murder in this game.

If there was any blood, people would be saying Kirby is a bigger asshole than Kratos.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
yeah I dunno.
I'm kinda disgusted by all the murder in this game.

If there was any blood, people would be saying Kirby is a bigger asshole than Kratos.

Kirby is happy. His enemies are being sucked into happiness. I don't see a problem here.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I love this game.

That is all.

Zing

Banned
What does the glowing green dot mean when viewing a stage on the map? I thought it meant I was missing a keychain, but I have many levels where I have gotten, what I believe to be, all of the keychains and rare keychain.

El Odio

Banned
What does the glowing green dot mean when viewing a stage on the map? I thought it meant I was missing a keychain, but I have many levels where I have gotten, what I believe to be, all of the keychains and rare keychain.
Pretty sure it means you've streetpassed someone allowing you to get a better item from Bandanna Waddle Dee

Zing

Banned
Pretty sure it means you've streetpassed someone allowing you to get a better item from Bandanna Waddle Dee
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. Although, I haven't streetpassed anyone who was marked as playing the game, and my streetpass notifications do not mention Kirby anywhere.

I have noticed that Waddle Dee does show a Mii face now in most levels.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
My copy came today an I played through world 1 so far! Sadly the main title theme is a big downgrade from Mass Attacks cuteness! An what was up with the silent intro cutscene? In fact I haven't heard a single poyo! yet. Not expecting voice acting outta a Kirby game or anything but c'mon!

I was surprised there was only 4 levels in the first world after Mass Attack had like 10 levels per world! Maybe that means there'll be more worlds overall here? I dunno. So this all is standard Kirby gameplay huh? Seems fun enough so far. Everythings super cute an using powers and platforming normally pretty fresh for me at least!
I lol'd at the cardboard cutout moles!

Spiderduff

I have yet to play any Kirby game to completion. Usually I lost interest quickly in them so when I picked this up I was extremely hesitant. Popped it in and holy hell am I loving it. Up to world 6 with all Sun Stones found so far. LOVING IT. This is exactly for the type of game I have been looking to play recently. that Kirby fighter game ain't bad either.

LOLDSFAN

Beat it the other night.

Overall a really fun game and looked beautiful. I really liked how you could be in the foreground with things in the background going on too. Then being able to go back there and doing things too.

My only dislike was the final bit:

Maaaaan those fights lasted waaaay too long. I mean we had to fight Dedede two times, the one bad guy twice I think, and then the main bad guy a couple times too. I think they really went overboard with that. I just wanted to be done.

But yeah enjoyed it a lot more than Yoshi's New Island. The experience that you get from both games is almost like night and day.

Dice//

Banned
I love the hell out of Kirby Super Star, and I've hated how titles feel sort of slow and sluggish since the really crisp and quick action in that title.

So I went in to be a critical ass.

I'm loving it though. It's a little less "messy" than Epic Yarn and Return to Dreamland (I feel like the level design is a lot tighter). I don't like that the Super Suck segments can go on a while, and the music isn't *too* memorable. But overall, I love this game. It's a lot of fun. There's a few abilities I'm sad we haven't seen, but all the same, just as many I'm happy to see. Bell? Works well. Beetle? Awesome. CIRCUS? INVINCIBILITY FRAMES GALORE. :S

Fun fun, yay yay

I love the hell out of Kirby Super Star, and I've hated how titles feel sort of slow and sluggish since the really crisp and quick action in that title.

So I went in to be a critical ass.

I feel the exact same way. Love Super Star to death (possibly the best couch coop game I've ever played) but other titles like Dreamland 3, 64, and Return to Dreamland didn't have the same snappiness and immediacy. Return to Dreamland left me especially cold, like there was a brilliant game in there somewhere struggling to get out.

Anyway, just bit the bullet and ordered Triple Deluxe. I need something new to play and the response seems to be tremendous. Presentation is on point from the limited footage I've seen. I'm excited...guess we'll see what happens.

Super Star will never be topped for me until they speed up the gameplay until it's at least close to it. Also like all of the recent Kirby games I rarely strayed from the core powers of past games. They keep adding things to old powers (the charge ups on sword and fighting) which make new ones less appealing. Of the new powers, beetle was the only one I used much. Archer (or w/e it's called, never paid attention) is ok but I wish it had a rapid fire ability. My main problem with Circus is no unique air attack which caused me a few deaths.

This game is so creative and lovely. Just played the haunted house level in 4-3. It's like a mix between Luigi's Mansion and Kirby, and there's some pretty clever mechanics involved.

Both this game and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze have such dense art direction that blends well with the levels. Although the levels aren't as dynamically changing as in DKC:TF, the art still combines with the act of level traversal to tell the story of your character. I feel like Mario games could learn a lot from this.

Kangi

So here I was, hunting down rare keychains. I enter 3-
and
go into the igloo
. And there I saw them - the two waddle dees, sleeping peacefully next to each other, right below the keychain.

So what do I do? I approach to grab my keychain, and they are startled awake. Seeing Ninja Kirby causes them to panic and run hysterically. In self-defense, I take the approaching Waddle Dee and perform a flying piledriver on him, killing him instantly. I then take my keychain and leave.

I feel like a monster.

Astral Dog

i don't understand why some Kirby games don't get a little more more attention,when they seem to have better graphics, music, bosses, levels, and are more original than the recent 2d Mario/Yoshi games, of course their main flaw is that they are too easy and require collecting things, but still they are good games

namDa65

I just beat the game with completion time of 5hours :S. My first Kirby game ever and I would give it a 7.5/10. Fun while it lasted.

So.
Finished Triple Deluxe.

Altogether it was enjoyable. Honestly though I'm not a fan of the "find X number of objects" in each stage(this can be extended to a lot of platformers). At times I tend to focus on that aspect more than the actual stage. It's all "oh that's a neat gimmick, but where's that sun stone?"

The special abilities were useless during boss-fights. The pitiful damage just isn't worth it. I got more mileage out of spitting stars than chipping away with swords, spears, or whatever else I happened to be carrying.

I might hang onto Kirby 3D long enough to give
Dedede route
a go but otherwise I'm done with it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
i don't understand why some Kirby games don't get a little more more attention,when they seem to have better graphics, music, bosses, levels, and are more original than the recent 2d Mario/Yoshi games, of course their main flaw is that they are too easy and require collecting things, but still they are good games

Honestly I'd argue both Yoshi and Kirby as of late have gotten panned for being to easy. I really think that's the crux of it. When you get past a certain point on the ease of difficulty scale it really changes the experience for a lot of people even if said game might be well put together.

maxcriden

Honestly I'd argue both Yoshi and Kirby as of late have gotten panned for being to easy. I really think that's the crux of it. When you get past a certain point on the ease of difficulty scale it really changes the experience for a lot of people even if said game might be well put together.

If only those people played Yoshi going for 100% in each level, that will make the game harder than any modern 2D Nintendo platformer except maybe DK....

zigg

There's no way to see what rare keychains I've already obtained short of cross-referencing my keychain collection with an online list, is there?

Top Bottom