• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Triple Deluxe |OT| Sayo-nara Suck-aaaaaaa

I just completed 2-2. Does anyone else feel like a monster playing this game?

Something about Triple Deluxe feels especially violent to me. One of the things I've always enjoyed about Kirby games is that, either despite or because of their low difficulty, it's just fun to be a wrecking ball with near-unlimited abilities, combos, and powers at your disposal.

But everything is so lovingly rendered and represented in this game... and everything is so darn cute and harmless... I feel like a terror. I don't want to be the type of person that reads deep themes into every bit of children's entertainment, but I really feel like I'm playing the villain here.

Astral Dog

How is the difficulty and length compared to Return to Dreamland?
that game actually had a little challenge for a Kirby game

Tripon

I'm at World 2-4. Hopefully this game gets a bit harder, I'm just mowing down things as a reign of terror.

Only reason I die is due to traps. Also think the game moves a bit too slow, auto dash should be turned on.

Just picked it up, hoping it compares well to Return to Dreamland. Imagine we'll be returning to kooky Kirby after this one for a while.

Every 3DS game looks like shit in screenshots and videos. I avoided the 3DS for so long due to this. I laughed at how poor A Link Between Worlds appeared in trailers.

Then I saw it for myself. It looks stunning. I don't know why 3DS looks like ass online, but amazing in person, but it does.
Really late reply but I didn't think games looked awful on the original 3DS but playing on the XL really makes it obvious how aliased and low res everything is. Still, great library and more often than not the art styles of the games make up for it somewhat.

Tohsaka

Obviously not made by the same dev team or anything, but after the letdown that was Yoshi's New Island this game is so much better in every way. I'm glad I decided to buy it after all.

Neiteio

Anyone here find past Kirby games kind of dull/boring/sleep-inducing, but are loving this one? I watched the glowing reviews at GameXplain and BitBlock and the game certainly looks more interesting than past Kirby games... The pacing looks faster, bouncing back and forth between layers of the level, and the action looks "punchier" with all the wanton destruction. But I'd like to hear from someone who hasn't particularly liked past Kirby games, if such a person has played this one.

The only Kirby games I've ever truly disliked were Dreamland 3 on the SNES and Amazing Mirror.
Though in all fairness there are a LOT of titles I never got around to.

I like the faster-paced games with relatively straightforward level-design.
Triple Deluxe seems like it'll fit the bill.

Also Amazon sez my copy should arrive Monday. Just in time for my days off.

Blues1990

KRTDL_Bomb.png

Bombs. They're pretty useful, no?

hawk2025

Anyone here find past Kirby games kind of dull/boring/sleep-inducing, but are loving this one? I watched the glowing reviews at GameXplain and BitBlock and the game certainly looks more interesting than past Kirby games... The pacing looks faster, bouncing back and forth between layers of the level, and the action looks "punchier" with all the wanton destruction. But I'd like to hear from someone who hasn't particularly liked past Kirby games, if such a person has played this one.

I'm very weird with Kirby games.

Loved:
- Canvas Curse
- Epic Yarn
- Dreamland 2

Liked:
- Return to Dreamland
- Superstar

Triple Deluxe has jumped to the top of the Loved pile. The level design is the best yet in a Kirby game for me, by a country mile.

Do keep in mind that it's still easy, though.

Neiteio

I feel tempted to download this and give it a whirl, but... Well, let's just say I stopped playing Return to Dreamland after the first few levels, LOL. But this does look more interesting. I think it's because bouncing back and forth between the foreground, mid-ground and background keeps the pacing strong. Also, the combat powers look punchy, and it seems they have you destroying or rearranging the environment on a semi-regular basis, which keeps the action fresh. HMM...

Just finished it.

One of the best Kirbys ever. On my personal Top along with Dreamland and Dreamland 2.

Kirby should be a portable-only franchise. I don't get along with console versions very well.

Teknoman

Just finished it.

One of the best Kirbys ever. On my personal Top along with Dreamland and Dreamland 2.

Kirby should be a portable-only franchise. I don't get along with console versions very well.

I dunno, Adventure, Return to Dreamland and Kirby Superstar were awesome. Kirby 64 was fun, but could've been faster.

entremet

Just finished it.

Is Return to Dreamland worth it? It's super expensive now.

rpmurphy

Wow, seriously? I saw it being still pretty priced near original MSRP on Gamestop shelves earlier this year and avoided picking it up for that reason... It's funny, Dream Collection is so much cheaper.

Just finished the third world. It's a great Kirby game, so far. I don't think it's the series masterpiece the early impressions made it out to be (at the very least, I don't think it's Super Star/Adventure/Epic Yarn tier), but it's still super charming and I really like how it uses the 3D. The new powers are great, though I wish Beetle showed up more.

The soundtrack's pretty lovely: I LOVE the Green Green map arrangement and the music really shines in Old Odyssey. Only stinker of the bunch is the Hypernova theme, which...doesn't really inspire any of the mayhem going on, imo.

I really appreciate how they've designed a good chunk of the game around series callbacks; particularly the keychains, which are a delight though I'm kinda pissy that Squeak Squad takes up the most rows so far, haha. Did anyone else catch the pause description for the second boss?

Finally, I don't remember the Waddle Dees ever being this diabolical! Seriously, they're out to murder Kirby, rofl.

hawk2025

Regarding the second boss:

It's been a while since I played it, but that was the final boss of Canvas Curse, right?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
...and I'm stuck on the 2nd sunstone in 2-1. Can't figure out how to get to the door before it goes back down.
Really late, but go back out of the door and get the wheel powerup. It was the only way I could do it. Edit: just realized Zeer0id just told you how to do it earlier, haha. Oops.

It's one of the best Kirby games I've played, imo.

Finally, I don't remember the Waddle Dees ever being this diabolical! Seriously, they're out to murder Kirby, rofl.
Well, they probably have to fight back now since Kirby always guns for them even though they're just busy dancing around trees or walking around minding their own business, lol.

This game is so bad ass.

I realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly like it.

A lot.

I've fully completed the first 2 worlds (ex levels as well), and I must say its beautiful, creative and just rad.

I love the concepts, 3D, music, level design and the powers. I really love the powers and level design.

Assuming this game holds up, it might be my favorite of 2014, so far.

The keychains in the menu is a nice touch (they move along their chain by swiveling the system lol) ^_^

pariah164

I'm going through, trying to find all the rare keychains... IGN's guide is confusing to me. Not sure if it's just me or not though.

Animekatt

I've reached the 3rd world earlier today. I can say that this is one of my favorite 3ds games to date. I love everything about it. I really dig the music, and atmosphere of the levels. My favorite power-up is Circus Kirby!

Just love this game so far. (Was really big on both Canvas Curse and Epic Yarn) I laughed out loud at the intro to hypernova. Also been having a good time with Kirby fighters, almost like a preview to SSB.

Neiteio

Well, I took the plunge: Triple Deluxe is now downloaded on my 3DS. Not going to start it just yet -- in the middle of GTAV -- but the 3D model that's displayed when you highlight the game's icon looks AMAZING. I keep staring at it in 3D... Kirby floating in and out of the screen... :-O

I own both Kirby's Epic Yarn and Return to Dreamland but was so-so on both. However, I have a feeling I'll really like this one. Will report back with impressions as someone who's not a Kirby fan.

For those wondering, the impressions here, coupled with the reviews at GameXplain and BitBlock, and the fact there are collectible figurines (sort of, in the form of the keychains) all pushed me to purchase. :)

Well, I took the plunge: Triple Deluxe is now downloaded on my 3DS. Not going to start it just yet -- in the middle of GTAV -- but the 3D model that's displayed when you highlight the game's icon looks AMAZING. I keep staring at it in 3D... Kirby floating in and out of the screen... :-O

I own both Kirby's Epic Yarn and Return to Dreamland but was so-so on both. However, I have a feeling I'll really like this one. Will report back with impressions as someone who's not a Kirby fan.

For those wondering, the impressions here, coupled with the reviews at GameXplain and BitBlock, and the fact there are collectible figurines (sort of, in the form of the keychains) all pushed me to purchase. :)

Glad you grabbed the game ^_^

You have very excellent write ups and impressions, so I look forward to your feedback and input.

Myself, I'm a casual Kirby fan and I expected this to be pretty - but middling.

I'm finding this to be my personal favorite game of 2014, so far. Totally shooting up my favorite games on 3DS list, too (I've got like 72 retail games and a ton of Eshop stuff).

Halfway through world 3 and I'm totally digging the level design and 3D gameplay.

The music is so well done, too.

Neiteio

Glad you grabbed the game ^_^

You have very excellent write ups and impressions, so I look forward to your feedback and input.

Myself, I'm a casual Kirby fan and I expected this to be pretty - but middling.

I'm finding this to be my personal favorite game of 2014, so far. Totally shooting up my favorite games on 3DS list, too (I've got like 72 retail games and a ton of Eshop stuff).

Halfway through world 3 and I'm totally digging the level design and 3D gameplay.

The music is so well done, too.
Thanks for the kind words. :) I hope to play the game sometime in the next couple days. Like I said, I never considered myself a Kirby fan -- I recognize them as a good games, but just not the kind that have grabbed me in the past -- but there seems to be something special about this installment. There must be, because I find myself rewatching the video reviews at GameXplain and BitBlock for fun.

just beat the game. my favorite suit is the archer. keep a distance and being able to power shot enemies is great. overall the game is easy, i found almost all the sun sprites my first time through. Pretty damn fun though. Glad i picked it up :)

Top Bottom