• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Triple Deluxe |OT| Sayo-nara Suck-aaaaaaa

I have decided stage 3-5 is cute overload and so charming, I'd been grinning ear to ear.

Something I'd needed, been longing for since Tearaway.

So cute and so funny, those
snowmen smiles and waddledee hi jinks

I have decided stage 3-5 is cute overload and so charming, I'd been grinning ear to ear.

Something I'd needed, been longing for since Tearaway.

So cute and so funny, those
snowmen smiles and waddledee hi jinks

That snow level was probably my favorite so far. LOVE that music.

Neiteio

I couldn't resist -- I started playing tonight. I'm on the first EX stage. How do I use the Spark powers? I don't understand the instructions on the Pause screen...

zroid

Banned
I couldn't resist -- I started playing tonight. I'm on the first EX stage. How do I use the Spark powers? I don't understand the instructions on the Pause screen...

haha, it's just saying wiggle the pad around, like you're building up static

Tripon

http://kirby.nintendo.com/triple-deluxe/hypernova/

Upload a pic and change it into hypernova mode!

Pj4nuPF.jpg

Neiteio

haha, it's just saying wiggle the pad around, like you're building up static
I use the Circle Pad to wiggle. Does that make a difference? It doesn't seem to affect the charge. I hold B to start up the energy field, but then wiggling the Circle Pad doesn't seem to do anything beyond that. Hmm...

PensOwl

Banned
I'm not a Kirby fan, but you guys are really selling me on this game. I'll probably pick it up this week if I can find it.

Neiteio

I still don't understand how to use Spark Kirby's powers (wiggling the Circle Pad seems to have no effect on charging), but I've cleared the first world 100% (if 100% means finding all of the Sun Stones in each level, EX included).

I have to say, as someone who didn't care much for the two Kirby titles on Wii, this one is really clicking with me. :)

I'm guessing the first world is easiest, so it should all be uphill from here... even if it's only a slight increase in challenge. I think the fact I had so much fun with the first world bodes well for the rest of the game. It might be a case of "you get out what you put in," since I'm taking the time to study up on the (surprisingly robust) moves of each power, something I didn't explore in past Kirby titles. But I also think it has to do with the level design -- not only do the levels look gorgeous and offer a lot of variety, with destructible elements and scripted events and a variety of terrain (ladders, hills, etc.), but there is a steady stream of enemies that allow you to test out your abilities. And when you throw yourself into the mix with mechanics like fast-falling and air-dodging and guarding and sliding, the game is still simple (barring a boss, here and there), but there is this odd quality of relaxation mixed with aggression that is very... empowering. Like you're some gluttonous god of war, steamrolling the local populace with your shape-shifting powers of destruction! Maybe this has always been the appeal of Kirby, and I just didn't see it before because I didn't dig into the mechanics and simply went from Point A to Point B.

Moving between the foreground, mid-ground and background on a regular basis also keeps things fresh. The levels are framed well with structures in the foreground partially obscuring your view at times as you move through the mid-ground and background. There's this propulsive sense of progress moving between the layers of the level -- it's not a simple path from left to right or right to left. You're always bouncing back and forth between the layers of the background. There's also the "Motherfucker Fruit," as I call it, which allows you to inhale everything in sight. This has made for some mild puzzle-solving where I pull back and release wrecking balls, maneuver blocks into place, etc. It's simple enough to figure out in short order, but still fun because you feel so powerful. The spectacle is amazing -- entire trees are uprooted, enemies spiral into your maw, and the backdrop itself even peels away at one point, revealing the rest of the level. And then there are the semi-frequent gyro sections where you manipulate various mechanisms by tilting the 3DS left and right. These are surprisingly well-implemented, with controls that are smooth and snappy. The screen even switches to 2D automatically while tilting the system, so there's no loss of focus, and it returns to full 3D as soon as you stop interacting with the contraption.

The game looks crisp and colorful, solid and tangible in 3D. The textures are lovely, with quilt-like patterns on many surfaces. The music is super-catchy. The sound effects are punchy and make you feel like you're breaking bones as you drill through enemies with the rat-a-tat-tat of a sword plunge, or a boomerang throw, or a flaming forward dash, or a flying suplex. If only I could figure out how to use Spark Kirby... Everything else is rather straightforward -- just hit Pause to read up on your current power, and be sure to scroll through the pages since many powers have quite a few moves. :)

Oh, and the first boss,
Flowery Woods
, looks amazing and had a huge variety of moves. In fact, all of the mini-bosses preceding him had quite a few tricks, as well. And during the boss encounters, I actually had to use the healing items in my inventory since they had me in the red on a few occasions. So there's that. It's a simple game, but an empowering one rich in interactive elements, with responsive and varied mechanics you can rigorously use to keep up the pace as you plow through enemies, destroy the environment, manipulate mechanisms and solve light puzzles on your way through the layers of the background and back again.

And the key-chains are quite addictive to collect. You can zoom in on them and rotate them and even rattle them with the gyro. They tell you the source game of the different characters, which is good since I'm not very familiar with the Kirby series. Some of them also appear to be rarer than others. Hmm...

So far, so good. I don't regret this purchase at all. :)

GGF

Neo Member
Really looking forward to playing this in a few weeks! Kirby's my fave Nintendo franchise, but I spent too many hours on the Gamecube Mario Golf not to get the new one. Glad to hear it's good!

I use the Circle Pad to wiggle. Does that make a difference? It doesn't seem to affect the charge. I hold B to start up the energy field, but then wiggling the Circle Pad doesn't seem to do anything beyond that. Hmm...

I haven't played Triple deluxe yet, but if it's anything like Return to Dreamland, you have to wiggle the pad around and build static before you press B, not after, and how much you've wiggled determines what attack is used.

zroid

Banned

I don't think you're supposed to hold B down while you're charging. B discharges, iirc. I'm starting to doubt myself now so I'll probably test this after I finish brushing my teeth. :p

edit: oh good, GGF agrees

I still don't understand how to use Spark Kirby's powers (wiggling the Circle Pad seems to have no effect on charging), but I've cleared the first world 100% (if 100% means finding all of the Sun Stones in each level, EX included).

I have to say, as someone who didn't care much for the two Kirby titles on Wii, this one is really clicking with me. :)

I'm guessing the first world is easiest, so it should all be uphill from here... even if it's only a slight increase in challenge. I think the fact I had so much fun with the first world bodes well for the rest of the game. It might be a case of "you get out what you put in," since I'm taking the time to study up on the (surprisingly robust) moves of each power, something I didn't explore in past Kirby titles. But I also think it has to do with the level design -- not only do the levels look gorgeous and offer a lot of variety, with destructible elements and scripted events and a variety of terrain (ladders, hills, etc.), but there is a steady stream of enemies that allow you to test out your abilities. And when you throw yourself into the mix with mechanics like fast-falling and air-dodging and guarding and sliding, the game is still simple (barring a boss, here and there), but there is this odd quality of relaxation mixed with aggression that is very... empowering. Like you're some gluttonous god of war, steamrolling the local populace with your shape-shifting powers of destruction! Maybe this has always been the appeal of Kirby, and I just didn't see it before because I didn't dig into the mechanics and simply went from Point A to Point B.

Moving between the foreground, mid-ground and background on a regular basis also keeps things fresh. The levels are framed well with structures in the foreground partially obscuring your view at times as you move through the mid-ground and background. There's this propulsive sense of progress moving between the layers of the level -- it's not a simple path from left to right or right to left. You're always bouncing back and forth between the layers of the background. There's also the "Motherfucker Fruit," as I call it, which allows you to inhale everything in sight. This has made for some mild puzzle-solving where I pull back and release wrecking balls, maneuver blocks into place, etc. It's simple enough to figure out in short order, but still fun because you feel so powerful. The spectacle is amazing -- entire trees are uprooted, enemies spiral into your maw, and the backdrop itself even peels away at one point, revealing the rest of the level. And then there are the semi-frequent gyro sections where you manipulate various mechanisms by tilting the 3DS left and right. These are surprisingly well-implemented, with controls that are smooth and snappy. The screen even switches to 2D automatically while tilting the system, so there's no loss of focus, and it returns to full 3D as soon as you stop interacting with the contraption.

The game looks crisp and colorful, solid and tangible in 3D. The textures are lovely, with quilt-like patterns on many surfaces. The music is super-catchy. The sound effects are punchy and make you feel like you're breaking bones as you drill through enemies with the rat-a-tat-tat of a sword plunge, or a boomerang throw, or a flaming forward dash, or a flying suplex. If only I could figure out how to use Spark Kirby... Everything else is rather straightforward -- just hit Pause to read up on your current power, and be sure to scroll through the pages since many powers have quite a few moves. :)

Oh, and the first boss,
Flowery Woods
, looks amazing and had a huge variety of moves. In fact, all of the mini-bosses preceding him had quite a few tricks, as well. And during the boss encounters, I actually had to use the healing items in my inventory since they had me in the red on a few occasions. So there's that. It's a simple game, but an empowering one rich in interactive elements, with responsive and varied mechanics you can rigorously use to keep up the pace as you plow through enemies, destroy the environment, manipulate mechanisms and solve light puzzles on your way through the layers of the background and back again.

And the key-chains are quite addictive to collect. You can zoom in on them and rotate them and even rattle them with the gyro. They tell you the source game of the different characters, which is good since I'm not very familiar with the Kirby series. Some of them also appear to be rarer than others. Hmm...

So far, so good. I don't regret this purchase at all. :)

Well done! Bravo!

I enjoy your write ups, as I mentioned earlier. You're like the Mama Robotnik, of platforming games.

I can't wait to read more, especially when you've experiences Kirby in nova form +
houses
= too cute and awesome, all at once.

DirtyLarry

Have to run some errands during my work lunch break, and since Best Buy and/or Gamestop is in the area I need to run my errands, think I am going to go ahead and pick this game up.

It will be my first experience with the Kirby series, but from the impressions here it sounds like it is a good place to start, and I have to say Mario Golf has reinvigorated my adoration of the 3DS itself.

It is also on sale at Best Buy. Only $3 off, but $3 is $3.

Looking forward to checking the game out finally.

Ecto311

Looking to get this for my daughter she loves the games. Is it hard for a 4yr old? I know nintendo will ramp up some games for the older people to get a challenge or is it just fun challenge?

Is there anything extra for getting all of the Sun Stones?

I remember how a big part of Crystal Shards was locked behind getting all of the Crystal Shards, so I wanna make sure.

Looking to get this for my daughter she loves the games. Is it hard for a 4yr old? I know nintendo will ramp up some games for the older people to get a challenge or is it just fun challenge?

There are a couple of gyro-based puzzles but nothing too challenging. I'm sure she'll love it. :)

Zing

Banned
Yes, unless your daughter has a lot of experience or patience, it will be difficult. Not difficult in the sense that she will lose all her lives, but that certain areas even early in the game could cause of lot of frustration. The game is absurdly easy for anyone with even a moderate amount of video game experience, but if couldn't imagine my four-year-old getting past the first world boss. As an eight-year-old she was very anxious about it.

goldenpp72

I just got the platinum medal for the Dedede drum game for the last level, really brutal! I had a question, can you get above gold stars on the fighting game? Any tips or advice? I'm trying to do the whole game to full completion.

jesusraz

Not long now until Europeans can finally play this fantastic game!

My review just went live - 9/10.

One of the best Kirby games so far, I reckon, and I'm so surprised how they've upped the difficulty level. Makes SO much difference. The 3D depth effects were stunning as well, I felt. After the disappointment of Yoshi's New Island, this was a fantastic surprise.

Kazerei

Banned
I finally started playing the game today! Just finished World 1.

I just completed 2-2. Does anyone else feel like a monster playing this game?

Something about Triple Deluxe feels especially violent to me. One of the things I've always enjoyed about Kirby games is that, either despite or because of their low difficulty, it's just fun to be a wrecking ball with near-unlimited abilities, combos, and powers at your disposal.

But everything is so lovingly rendered and represented in this game... and everything is so darn cute and harmless... I feel like a terror. I don't want to be the type of person that reads deep themes into every bit of children's entertainment, but I really feel like I'm playing the villain here.

OMG yes. When I got the Beetle Kirby power and impaled two enemies on my horn I was like D:

Camjo-Z

Does anyone who's unlocked the sound test know what Track 75 is from? I swear I've heard it in another Kirby game but I can't remember where. EDIT: Nvmd, it's from Return to Dreamland. I've never played that one so I'm not sure how I heard it before...

I just got the platinum medal for the Dedede drum game for the last level, really brutal! I had a question, can you get above gold stars on the fighting game? Any tips or advice? I'm trying to do the whole game to full completion.

You can get platinum medals if you beat them on Very Hard. Be prepared to die many times at the hands of Shadow Kirby in order to get them though.

Zing

Banned
Never played any game of the Kirby series, is this a good game to step in?
It's basically my first. Great game.

I did play a level or two of he very first NES game. I didn't enjoy it at the time. I'm thinking. I should go back and give it another try now.

How do you feel about the difficulty compared to Kirby Wii?

I found that game to have some difficulty (in a good way), and apparently it is one of the hardest Kirby games, probably because of its ability to have four player multiplayer.

One of the best Kirby games so far, I reckon, and I'm so surprised how they've upped the difficulty level. Makes SO much difference.

Upped difficulty? Hmm...

Kangi

Shadow Kirby, man. I haven't been pummeled like this since KSSU True Arena.

Edit:
Also. Screw you, 4-3. That was an intentional reminder of SM64's piano and you know it.

How do you feel about the difficulty compared to Kirby Wii?

I found that game to have some difficulty (in a good way), and apparently it is one of the hardest Kirby games, probably because of its ability to have four player multiplayer.

Upped difficulty? Hmm...

It can be hard to tell which dimension attacks (especially from bosses) are coming from. I also ended up hurting myself more often than not from the newish (basically copied from Smash Bros) dodge mechanics.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Finished the main game. Had a lot of fun. Could do with some tinkering with respect ot the balancing for the powerups since some of them are rendered redundant, but I had a lot of fun. It had a great soundtrack and I actually ended up liking it more than RtDL's. I really love the look of this game and how it even used its look to establish the level design. I can't see 3D, so I imagine that it'll look even better with the slider on for those who can see 3D.

Don't know if I'll post full thoughts. I haven't posted formal thoughts on a platformer on GAF in well over a year so I'm rusty, haha.

edit
So does anyone ever use the block or dodge mechanics in these games? (as if the games needed to be easier).
I did a fair bit. Made some encounters faster since you're not busy flying around or trying to use invincibility frames after a recoil.

Kangi

I didn't think I'd find myself saying this, but this game's soundtrack handily beats RtDL and KSSU's and rivals Epic Yarn's. Also impressive is the sheer number of tracks, both new and remixes of old, with each and every one standing tall.

Something like that happens again later on. It shows the evolution of kirby.

That's exciting. I haven't gone through the thread yet, don't know what reviews/impressions have been like, but I'm having a ton of fun with this--it feels extremely fluid, Kirby's powers are more fleshed out than before, and I sure hope there's some sort of super-hard mode after you beat it to stretch those mechanics out! Might be my favorite Kirby title besides Super Star, Return To Dreamland, and Squeak Squad.

Top Bottom