• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knights in the Nightmare |OT| Buy Now Get Yggdra Union Free (look inside for details)

Volcynika

wVNwC.png

Summary

Somewhere between heaven and the underworld -- in the center of a quiet lake -- stood an ancient castle known as Aventheim. One night, without warning, denizens of the netherworld emerged and slaughtered the kingdom; nary a soul was left alive.

Within an abandoned, long-forgotten church deep in the woods, a wisp is set free. Bereft of memory, it is drawn toward the monster-infested castle and re-awakens the souls of the vanquished knights, leading them back towards the fallen stronghold to confront the very forces of evil that took their lives.

Basic Info

• Platform - PlayStation Portable (Available via UMD/PSN)
  • Genre -- Bullet-hell strategy RPG
  • Publisher -- Atlus USA
  • Developer -- Sting
  • Release Date -- November 9th, 2010 (US)
  • Website -- Official Knights in the Nightmare (PSP) Website
  • Rating --T for Teen

• Box Art
    m2brm.gif

Features

• Incorporating strategy RPG, real‐time strategy, and shooter elements, you’ve never experienced a game like this. Control the Wisp and activate the souls of deceased knights to aid you in destroying foes on the map
  • Find and recruit the ghosts of seven different classes of knights from your kingdom, and learn of their pasts, hopes, dreams, and untimely deaths. Sacrifice their souls to one another to balance their skills and create your ultimate party
  • Exclusive to the PSP system version, the addition of Princess Yggdra as a third playable character means that gamers can experience the game’s dark and brooding tale through three unique perspectives, making for more replay value than ever before

Images

Videos
Reviews

F.A.Q.

• Question -- What how do I play this game I am so confuuuused! lsdkfjlsdf
  • Answer -- Yes, it does look quite confusing! Fortunately, way back when the DS version released, Atlus USA released some tutorial videos to assist and remove your confusion. They haven't done the same for the PSP version, but the gameplay systems basically remain the same so it should be ok:

Tutorial Video (Part 1)
    Tutorial Video (Part 2)
    Tutorial Video (Part 3)
    Tutorial Video (Part 4)

• Question -- I thought you needed an Yggdra Union save to unlock Yggdra for the game!
  • Answer -- You did...for the JP version. Atlus is making her available for every version, so no need to worry about tracking down Yggdra, although the pre-order bonus would help a ton if you did...

• Question -- So what's Atlus spoiling us with now? Soundtrack? Artbook? Anything like the DS version's release?
  • Answer -- Well, nothing like that for this version. But, fret not! A very limited time offer comes along with this! Pre-order (seems like it'll stick with early copies regardless) and you'll get a voucher for Yggdra Union on the PlayStation Store. For free! Yes, free! Two games for the price of one seems like a nice bonus.

• Question -- But I want the PSN version, since I prefer that / have a PSP Go! Will I still get the same bonus?
  • Answer -- Yes, Atlus USA won't slight the PSP Go owners, they care about everyone! Early buyers for PSN version (this is limited time, there has been zero announcement about how long this will last) will also get the Yggdra Union bonus.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Should be added that its coming with the full game of Yggdra Union (downloadable I believe). My pre-order is on its way. :D One of the last games I buy this year except for the pile of games I set aside for myself at my store.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So, if you get the PSN version on the first week, Yggdra Union will be added to the download list? Or Sony/Atlus will send a voucher to the email?

Volcynika

There has been no comment from Atlus as to how Yggdra will be distributed with the PSN version. Also it IS mentioned in the F.A.Q. section! :p

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Volcynika said:
There has been no comment from Atlus as to how Yggdra will be distributed with the PSN version. Also it IS mentioned in the F.A.Q. section! :p

Oh, I see (didn't catch that at first) Still gonna get this.

Grimmy

Banned
rainking187 said:
Anyone get this early? GameStop.com has this listed as shipping within 24 hours which usually means it's in stock.

I went to Gamestop the day before yesterday to pick up my copy of Ys The Oath in Felghana, and I saw that they already had copies of Knights in the Nightmare in. I'm in Toronto

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Volcynika said:

My bad. Should be bold, flashing font though. COMES WITH FREE GAME! BUY THIS YOU FUCKS! :D

Volcynika

Kintaro said:
My bad. Should be bold, flashing font though. COMES WITH FREE GAME! BUY THIS YOU FUCKS! :D

:lol

I was thinking of how to mention it a good bit in there without looking odd, I'll think about it!

Netto-kun

I forgot to pre-order until I read this thread. For Europeans who'd like to import the game; VideoGamesPlus is still taking pre-orders with the Yggdra Union DLC code, and they are also offering half-price shipping.:D

Grimmy said:
I went to Gamestop the day before yesterday to pick up my copy of Ys The Oath in Felghana, and I saw that they already had copies of Knights in the Nightmare in. I'm in Toronto

Did you happen to see if the box mentioned Yggdra Union? That's one thing that drives me nuts about the pack-ins Atlus does, there's no way to tell if it's in the box until you open it. Put a sticker on the shrinkwrap or something.

szaromir said:
How did they make this game without a touch screen? I can't imagine it.
The same way they've been making shmups without a touch screen for years?

Netto-kun said:
I forgot to pre-order until I read this thread. For Europeans who'd like to import the game; VideoGamesPlus is still taking pre-orders with the Yggdra Union DLC code, and they are also offering half-price shipping.:D
If you've got a Euro PSN account on your PSP though, the awkwardness largely cancels out the bargain of a free game.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I feel like Sting is one step away from just having a game that's literally a bunch of numbers roaming around, shooting numbers out while other numbers fly from their number adversaries, determined by another dozen sets of numbers in the HUD and what number (+[number]) they have equipped.

OJxw0.jpg

NUMBERSSSSS

Aru

Day one.

I'll check that my American Express card still works on the US PSN despite buying from France (it did, last August). I could register it with my account, there shouldn't be any issue.

My first Sting games (this and Yggdra), I'm kinda hyped :D

Grimmy

Banned
rainking187 said:
Did you happen to see if the box mentioned Yggdra Union? That's one thing that drives me nuts about the pack-ins Atlus does, there's no way to tell if it's in the box until you open it. Put a sticker on the shrinkwrap or something.

Nope. No sticker. So no mentions of Yggdra on the front cover, unless it's at the back (I didn't look at the back).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I guess I should get off my ass and get a PSN card so I can get two games for the price of one on my PSP.

Though, I wouldn't be able to play these for a bit. :/

Volcynika

It probably won't mention the Yggdra bonus due to them only wanting to print one boxart or whatever. And I don't remember them putting anything on their shrink wrap for any game, so it's par for the course!

Volcynika said:
It probably won't mention the Yggdra bonus due to them only wanting to print one boxart or whatever. And I don't remember them putting anything on their shrink wrap for any game, so it's par for the course!

Yeah, it's par for the course, but it's always been annoying. I always pick up Atlus games with pack-ins day one because there's no way to get the bonus later on for certain unless you buy a used copy. Maybe that's their plan though. Although a sticker might have helped remind them in the Izuna 2 situation where they forgot to put the mini posters in any Amazon copies.

Even though I played through the DS version, I'll definitely be picking up the PSP version as well. I consider it a small miracle Atlus is porting the PSP version. If you like deep combat systems with lots of room for skill, speed, and semi-realtime strategy, give it a try.

Volcynika

mjemirzian said:
Even though I played through the DS version, I'll definitely be picking up the PSP version as well. I consider it a small miracle Atlus is porting the PSP version. If you like deep combat systems with lots of room for skill, speed, and semi-realtime strategy, give it a try.

*insert comment about how Atlus didn't port the game*

:p

Updated thread to advertise the deal. :D

C-Jo said:
So where's the bullet hell part exactly?

KitN isn't really an SRPG; it's a bullet-hell shooter mixed with a puzzle game, with only the superficial trappings of an SRPG. The gameplay is built around moving a tiny wisp around the screen while enemies fire huge patterns of bullets at it and touching various allied units to make them attack.

Got my copy today, it does actually have a sticker on it saying Yggdra Union is included. It's on the front of the game case instead of the shrinkwrap, which is kind of unusual.

Salsa

Would like to hear impressions for someone who also played the DS version. Im on the fence about wich version i should get.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Amazon shipped my copy, but honestly, I can't see how the controls won't be compromised in this version.

zurra

i actually really like controlling the wisp with the d-pad, much more than the stylus. not to knock the DS or anything, but i cramped after a bit and always felt like my fist was covering half the screen. the controls rock in this version, really really good.

only issues i have so far are item management (setting up before turns kinda sucks) and lots of loading. lots and lots of loading. does anyone have the PSN version? how's the loading there?

Carlisle

Got the DS version back when it first came out but haven't even popped it in yet. Got Riviera on PSN, so Yggdra and Knights would nicely complete the Sting set (though I'm sure I'll continue to not play any of them... got Riviera and Yggdra on GBA too, god damn the collector in me). But I'm a little apprehensive about how Knights will control without a touch screen input. Don't have much time to decide though, and I just forked over 40 for GoS and 35 for Vanquish last week. Kinda overdoing it at this point... the Thanksgiving season videogame inundation has begun... :/

Edit: Fuck it, bought.

Volcynika said:
Up on the NA PSN store. 807 MB.
~550 MB for Yggdra, ~250 for Knights in the Nightmare if anyone was wondering.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Volcynika why do you make every topic of games I'm currently enjoying :lol Anyways almost done with Y's 3 then going to start this up :D Looks AMAZING can't wait.

So any actual impressions for this game? I'm debating between PSP and DS. Kind of leaning towards PSP due to the free game, but what's this about crappy controls?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It's a matter of adapting a 1:1 stylus movement-based game to analog stick.
It basically has to be worse.
Imagine bullet hell type situations where precision dodging via the stylus is instead replaced by the PSP's shitty analog nub. You can imagine.

zurra

i like the PSP version better for the most part. only thing that bothers me is all the loading (but i'm on UMD, can't comment on the PSN version). i grew up playing shooters on a dpad/stick, so dodging with the dpad hasn't been a problem. forget the analog nub, i hate that thing in any game.

it's also nice not to have my first blocking a chunk of the screen all the time, and i feel like i don't get cramped/tired after a few maps of play. i'm willing to trade precision for that, though i do miss how easy it was to hover around a bullet for bonus xp in the DS version.

the graphics and music got a nice bump. i like the interface on the PSP version better as well... seems more organized, less cluttered on the bigger screen, item use and phase switching is a lot smoother. overall i think it's better, but as usual your mileage will vary!

oh yeah, yggdra being an alternate heroine doesn't hurt, either. she so sillyyyy

I just got my copy from Amazon, and it still has the Yggdra Union voucher. Did this bomb really badly for Atlus? :( I'm resurrecting this thread, and it doesn't even have a whole page of posts. D: I am looking forward to playing this, though I am not sure if I will play it or Yggdra Union first.

It's still only $13.41 on Amazon.

7threst

ninj4junpei said:
I just got my copy from Amazon, and it still has the Yggdra Union voucher. Did this bomb really badly for Atlus? :( I'm resurrecting this thread, and it doesn't even have a whole page of posts. D: I am looking forward to playing this, though I am not sure if I will play it or Yggdra Union first.

They still sell PSP copies with Yggra Union DL-codes at VG+ (where I import my games): http://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=17347

Played Knights so freaking much on my DS. I adore that game.

I went through all of the main tutorials and finished the first scene. This game is information overload for me, but I am liking it. @_@ This is my first time seeing a Sting game on the PSP, and it is gorgeous. :O

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
ninj4junpei said:
I went through all of the main tutorials and finished the first scene. This game is information overload for me, but I am liking it. @_@ This is my first time seeing a Sting game on the PSP, and it is gorgeous. :O
Yeah, it throws a lot at you in the beginning, but you can get by for quite a while with just a few basic techniques. It get much more involved when you try to go for the best ratings.

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, it throws a lot at you in the beginning, but you can get by for quite a while with just a few basic techniques. It get much more involved when you try to go for the best ratings.
Are there permanently missable items/characters/etc? I remember reading something ridiculous in regards to unlocking the final ending. Also, should I stretch out the battles as long as I can?

ninj4junpei said:
Are there permanently missable items/characters/etc? I remember reading something ridiculous in regards to unlocking the final ending.

All characters are "missable" in the sense that every character in the game has a unique name and story, but there's only one that's more unique in that she's key to getting the best possible ending. (That's the spoiler-light version; I can direct you to more info if you want.)

You definitely want to spend as much time as possible on every level destroying all the objects; the only way to recruit more guys is to get their key items on whichever level they're on and since all your guys are constantly degrading you need a constant flow of new guys to replace them or feed to them.

charlequin said:
All characters are "missable" in the sense that every character in the game has a unique name and story, but there's only one that's more unique in that she's key to getting the best possible ending. (That's the spoiler-light version; I can direct you to more info if you want.)

You definitely want to spend as much time as possible on every level destroying all the objects; the only way to recruit more guys is to get their key items on whichever level they're on and since all your guys are constantly degrading you need a constant flow of new guys to replace them or feed to them.
Okay, thanks. :) I think in order to keep playing this, I'm going to have to make a bunch of reference sheets/diagrams/etc. There's just way too much for me to keep track of, and I don't deal well at all with an abundance of visual stimuli. :\

Does anyone know where I can find a chart of all of the classes and their attack ranges?

Top Bottom