• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNET hands on with the PS5 Pro

SABRE220

Yeah, this was a woefully underwhelming presentation. No real showcase of rt such as cyberpunk etc using the hefty rt suite, no-gi showcases just basically resolution upgrades to sell a 700$ upgrade is just plain crazy. Arrogant Sony is back, they realized Microsoft is no longer any competition like with the one x so let's milk the customers to hell.

jm89

Its odd Sony set up that demo room and so far only CNET has a hands on video?

At least only one I have seen so far
Yeah I think this is the problem right now. This is a product more for enthusiasts rather then casuals but they are giving hands on to a outlet that is more for casuals.

There should be more hands on from technical outlets giving their impressions of how well games are performing.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's why. Look at that enthusiasm!🤣

eJ2ztf4.gif
A literal Xbox product placement on an PS unboxing video.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Is this confirming that they have fixed the useless VRR on the PS5 and it will now go down to 40hz instead of 48hz? I suspect this is just the author making an assumption.

VRR is still semi-useless on OLED due to the flicker, but it would be nice to have games that drop below 48fps not stutter.
Good question, not sure I would put a lot of stock in his technical expertise

Is this confirming that they have fixed the useless VRR on the PS5 and it will now go down to 40hz instead of 48hz? I suspect this is just the author making an assumption.

VRR is still semi-useless on OLED due to the flicker, but it would be nice to have games that drop below 48fps not stutter.
What flicker? I have a S95C, I never noticed any flicker in VRR.

What flicker? I have a S95C, I never noticed any flicker in VRR.
All OLED have it when the frame rate varies quickly in small range (like if a game hovers around 58-60fps) and the TV is displaying near-black areas. It’s usually obvious in grey menus (GT7, Lies of P are two obvious examples).

I don’t know how Samsung handles it (based on their history of cheating benchmarks, we can only guess). LG had “fine tune dark areas”. I don’t even know what my Sony has.

Killjoy-NL

Sooo what improvements can we expect for VR on Pro?

I'll believe we'll get a decent boost overall, but I'm curious about VR as well.

Last edited:
That's why. Look at that enthusiasm!🤣

eJ2ztf4.gif
Yes Sony will never ever ask anything to DF again. They get it now, I think. I think the CNET guy did a good job at summarizing this console. Fidelity modes at 60fps instead of 30fps. But they could have let him film more comparisons snippets though. We are going to starve on those snippets in the next 2 months !

People are conflating PSSR and PS5 Pro Boost mode.

They're two completely different things.

PS5 Pro Boost mode is like PS5 Boost Mode. This applies across the range of games on PS4 and PS5. This is brute force enabling improvements in games just from the increased GPU. Games that have dynamic resolution will run at higher resolutions automatically. Games with uncapped framerates will run at higher framerates, automatically.

PSSR support needs to be patched in, but it does not need per title training like DLSS.

Adding other enhancements like the RTX requires an update to the latest SDK.

If you wanted to have your ps4 or ps5 title get full benefits of the ps5 pro, it would need to be patched. Games with locked frame rates and locked resolution aren't going to benefit.
Recent versions of DLSS do not need per title training. I think it was only in DLSS 1.X.

EDIT: Sorry for double post

Last edited:
"Because games will automatically get frame rate improvements without an upgrade patch"

I wonder how this is when the GPU will be clocked less and these games can't take advantage of the extra CUs without a patch.

Maybe they will always run the ram at highest speeds?

MMaRsu

Like i said. This is for people like me with big tvs .

Now i can finally have a propper experi3nce.
How about you hook up your pc to it you bum,
If you have a big tv you'll want a stacked pc next to it, and your controller of choice hooked up to it.

A good pc wil outlast any console generation.

Dont be a bum and go for the big bucks

Topher

Gold Member
Sony is going to have to get this thing in front of some folks who can do real analysis and review. Some CNET guy playing games while the co-CEO and Mark Cerny watch......that ain't gonna cut it.

Sony is going to have to get this thing in front of some folks who can do real analysis and review. Some CNET guy playing games while the co-CEO and Mark Cerny watch......that ain't gonna cut it.

Seems pretty clear cut though

2x the frames on fidelity mode is what to expect, a doubling of performance

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I mean for the games that already are running at lower resolutions than 4k. Where will they put the additional RT and stuff with the same amount of memory?
This isn’t going to perform miracles. Games which currently look like won’t be transformed.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Looking forward to objective analysis and not stupid fanboy or critiques on crap that I don't care about. I'm wanting to see everything it can do and the screenshots of things I've missed. Maybe we can get a separate hype thread or talk about actual features and leave the ranting for other threads?

bundylove

How about you hook up your pc to it you bum,
If you have a big tv you'll want a stacked pc next to it, and your controller of choice hooked up to it.

A good pc wil outlast any console generation.

Dont be a bum and go for the big bucks
Never.

I rather be tv rich ans console poor

Bojji

Think of it like upgrading the video card in your PC. Same CPU new GPU.

Yep.

Seems pretty clear cut though

2x the frames on fidelity mode is what to expect, a doubling of performance

They can't 2x native 4k games, there is not enough power. They probably render them in 1440p or less with PSSR, image quality is comparable to native 4k with TAA (but not identical obliviously). Misleading marketing.

Also good luck running games like Dragons Dogma 2 and WH 40k in 60fps when they still use ancient Zen 2...

Last edited:
They can't 2x native 4k games, there is not enough power. They probably render them in 1440p or less with PSSR, image quality is comparable to native 4k with TAA (but not identical obliviously). Misleading marketing.

It’s not misleading if it yields the same results

I’m staying far away from stuff like DD anyways, a poorly optimized piece of crap that runs poorly on everything. That’s a programming issue not a cpu issue

Last edited:

Dural

It’s not misleading if it yields the same results

I’m staying far away from stuff like DD anyways, a poorly optimized piece of crap that runs poorly on everything. That’s a programming issue not a cpu issue

So if a game runs at 1440p upscaled to 4k at 30fps in fidelity mode on PS5 but runs at 1080p upscaled to 4k at 60fps on PS5 Pro, you consider that the same result? That's likely what is happening here, it's not the standard fidelity mode at twice the speed as the PS5 Pro doesn't have the power to do that. You don't even know the quality of PSSR, what if it's barely better than FSR2? I'm baffled by those of you defending this hardware at this price. It's such a small step up from the base hardware, PS4 Pro was a bigger jump for far less money.

So if a game runs at 1440p upscaled to 4k at 30fps in fidelity mode on PS5 but runs at 1080p upscaled to 4k at 60fps on PS5 Pro, you consider that the same result? That's likely what is happening here, it's not the standard fidelity mode at twice the speed as the PS5 Pro doesn't have the power to do that. You don't even know the quality of PSSR, what if it's barely better than FSR2? I'm baffled by those of you defending this hardware at this price. It's such a small step up from the base hardware, PS4 Pro was a bigger jump for far less money.

If the PSSR is putting in the work, yes. It can have a huge impact.

They showed ratchet doing just that in the showcase

Vick

Gold Member
No PSSR system wide. He made a mistake.
Shame. Would have loved an automatic kind of upgrade across the library.

And actually, I wonder what's preventing the implementation of a real Boost Mode, forcing automatically 30fps to 60fps, since the machine is apparently capable of doing so.

Shame also about DF acting that pathetically prior to the PS5 lauch and even years after, I would have loved a proper coverage by them.

I may not like some members, but no one does video like they do at the end of the day and I really feel a DF piece is missing.

Silence wasnt part of the big three
Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

Unless I misunderstood, for better future trolling I feel you should know the "jet engine" noise was a previous gen issue. Ever since November 2020 consoles became dead silent.

Which has been personally as big as an upgrade on my launch PS5 as the death of 30fps.

Last edited:

jcorb

I'm honestly a little baffled. It doesn't sound like the console really offers a lot more power, but with a pretty dramatic price increase, it's actually pretty off-putting. I've been on the fence as I *wanted* to get a PS5 for FF7 Rebirth, but after they surprisingly didn't do a limited edition for it (I wonder why those have fallen out of favor?), I figured I'd wait for a better model. Well, the model doesn't seem much" better, but a staggering price jump *plus* it doesn't come with a disc drive... yeah, this doesn't seem like a product intended for much of an audience?

Top Bottom