• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNET hands on with the PS5 Pro

Bernardougf

Need to see 30 fps only games running at 60 fps .. or games that run like crap 60 fps running butter smooth.. until then im holding

REY1xrJ.gif

Last edited:

JimboJones

Kind of funny to see how they have to be that close to the TV to see the Pro advantage over regular PS5.
To be fair a lot of Sony's first party output already has pretty decent image quality. I'd say it's gonna more noticeable on existing poor implementations of FSR2 going to Pisser.

nick776

I don't like to be Debbie downer, but I do have to say that I did not see anything that made games running on the PS5 Pro look noticeably better than non-pro games. What I am saying is that there was no noticeable advantage like there was from PS4 to PS4 Pro. I will still buy the thing though, but I'm not entirely sure if the average person will do the same given the price. Maybe once more footage is shown the results will become more apparent.

JimboJones

I don't like to be Debbie downer, but I do have to say that I did not see anything that made games running on the PS5 Pro look noticeably better than non-pro games. What I am saying is that there was no noticeable advantage like there was from PS4 to PS4 Pro. I will still buy the thing though, but I'm not entirely sure if the average person will do the same given the price. Maybe once more footage is shown the results will become more apparent.
CNET didn't really help, basically let YouTube chew up the footage and vomit it out.

Eszti

Banned
People here believing it doubles the performance of a ps5 will have a rude awakening.

Last of us 2 runs at 40-50 fps in quality mode on ps5 thats native 4k. A console with 45% more power will lock that too 60. far from double. Its physically impossible. With that small gpu bump.

Even with pssr double will be out of the window. Thats just s reality. Unless ots a special performance mode where fps is targeted of cost of viduals. Ps5 pro hardware is really underwhelming actually. Because gpu jumps are not as big as they were before. Where double was easily achieved in midrange over 2 gens. Now not even half of that.

For that price they really could have gone in and put in a far better gpu but that would have increase power usage and cooling needs aks new design.

Double thats a good one boys.

diffusionx

Gold Member
People here believing it doubles the performance of a ps5 will have a rude awakening.

Last of us 2 runs at 40-50 fps in quality mode on ps5 thats native 4k. A console with 45% more power will lock that too 60. far from double. Its physically impossible. With that small gpu bump.

Even with pssr double will be out of the window. Thats just s reality. Unless ots a special performance mode where fps is targeted of cost of viduals. Ps5 pro hardware is really underwhelming actually. Because gpu jumps are not as big as they were before. Where double was easily achieved in midrange over 2 gens. Now not even half of that.

For that price they really could have gone in and put in a far better gpu but that would have increase power usage and cooling needs aks new design.

Without knowing the exact details of PSSR, I don't see how it doesn't get you to that 2x level. DLSS can get you around double performance on the same GPU. If PSSR is similar then you take that and add the 45% extra power and you get to 2x easily.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I hate this kind of thing, more mid-gen consoles which split the generation and have atrocious prices. Then, more obnoxious fidelity/performance/etc tradeoffs to choose everywhere for each game you boot up, because no one will target just the expensive kit even at the tail end of the gen.

even Nintendo's absolute stubbornness of extremely long generations like the Switch is still better than this kind of thing, IMO

• Fire
Reactions: LMJ

Loxus

"PS5 Pro uses the new advanced [ray tracing] feature sets that AMD created as the next step in their roadmap architecture," Cerny told me. "But if you look around, there are no other AMD GPUs that use it yet. We motivated the development, and I'm very happy we did so -- the response from the developers has been extraordinarily great."

This part of the article made me remember that Sony Raytracing patent and how everyone was saying it's Sony's bespoke RT.

It turns out they're using AMD RT, the same can be said for the AI/ML capabilities. No reason for Sony to spend R&D developing tech that is useful to both them and AMD on their own.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Not this BS again.. "8k with ray tracing at 120fps"
People fall for it lol. If PS5 Pro tried that in anything other than a 2d pixelated side scroller it would cook itself to death and leave a puddle of plastic. Shit... my PC would cry if I tried 8K 120fps and i spent the price of 2 ps5 pros on my GPU alone.

Maybe focus on trying to achieve 4K 60fps first lol before trying to sell 8K.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Hmmm, because a game is currently 50fps and the Pro locks it at 60fps, because that isn't double the frame rate the console itself isn't double the power? That isn't how it works (not saying it is double the power by the way, but that comparison is that games performance only and what they choose to lock it at)

Last edited:
"PS5 Pro uses the new advanced [ray tracing] feature sets that AMD created as the next step in their roadmap architecture," Cerny told me. "But if you look around, there are no other AMD GPUs that use it yet. We motivated the development, and I'm very happy we did so -- the response from the developers has been extraordinarily great."

This part of the article made me remember that Sony Raytracing patent and how everyone was saying it's Sony's bespoke RT.

It turns out they're using AMD RT, the same can be said for the AI/ML capabilities. No reason for Sony to spend R&D developing tech that is useful to both them and AMD on their own.
Few ever said that. Sony don't design the silicon. But they give input of what they want to see, like here:
We motivated the development
Without Sony, there likely wouldn't be advanced RT on future AMD product (probably RDNA4).

Last edited:

Eszti

Banned
Hmmm, because a game is currently 50fps and the Pro locks it at 60fps, because that isn't double the frame rate the console itself isn't double the power? That isn't how it works (not saying it is double the power by the way, but that comparison is that games performance only and what they choose to lock it at)
dude 45% cant equal in double the power its not even half.

Loxus

Few ever said that. Sony don't design the silicon. But they give input of what they want to see, like here:

Without Sony, there likely wouldn't be advanced RT on future AMD product (probably RDNA4).
Check the Sony RT patent thread here and you'll see for yourself.

Check the Sony RT patent thread here and you'll see for yourself.
Actually designing silicon units is very specific and only AMD could to that on their own product. But it doesn't mean buyers like Sony cannot "direct" some of the features they want. Sony can dictate some features (I am sure they did for some stuff on PS4 and PS4 Pro, like I want an ID Buffer that automatically stores some data) and let AMD do the dirty job.

Last edited:

Astray

Sony is going to have to get this thing in front of some folks who can do real analysis and review. Some CNET guy playing games while the co-CEO and Mark Cerny watch......that ain't gonna cut it.
Still beats the Japanese guy who 1st got the OG PS5 lol.

Trying to find the gif where he does weird faces with the controller lol.

midnightAI

dude 45% cant equal in double the power its not even half.
Read my comment again, I never said it was, I am saying you can't use a game that is 50fps on one platform and fixed 60fps on the other as any kind of guage for how powerful the platform is. For one, if the frame rate was unlocked on Pro it could be well over 60fps for all we know, but it isn't, it will be locked 60

Last edited:

Taycan77

Not this BS again.. "8k with ray tracing at 120fps"
GT7 has an 8K mode (presumably 60fps) and 4K/60/RT mode.

On base PS5 it has a mode that runs 'upto' 4K/120fps.

Oh, and there's PSVR2 and PS4 versions.

I think it's quite exciting when devs add these additional modes that push the limits. PD did it with a 60fps mode on PS1 and a 1080i mode on PS2.

Doing these things while working with a closed architecture is also noteworthy, anyone can brute force a PC. PSSR is also an evolving tech and we could see notable efficiency improvements as devs gain more experience.

Well obviously. Microsoft is not releasing an equivalent of the PS5 PRO. If it was we wouldn't be looking at a $700 machine without a disc drive.

REDRZA MWS

Well MS a releasing an equivalent to PS5 Amature at $600

Ohh boo competition is gone booo hoooo 🤣
Yes, but they aren’t selling you on a whole new version with more “power” that is negligible on screen. If MS didn’t fuck up with the S., the Series X is a 12TF console. There is no need for a pro, especially for negligible differences mostly unseen to gamers, for the extortion of 700 bucks.

At least I can play MS’s games on my 4090, and be good for years. I can and will wait til next gen.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
Day one. Already ordered the drive. Some people are underestimating the power of a good AI upscaler. I use DLSS on all the games that have it available and the performance you get back is amazing with very minor differences on IQ. Even less noticeable when playing on a TV 6 to 10 ft away from you.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
AMD is gonna compete hard at the performance levels that really matter.
It's not about the performance levels that do or don't matter, it's about AI upscaling and raytracing. All AMD needs to do is to finally get a foothold in those 2 and they are good.

At the end of the day people are Nvidia for the dlss and the rt

diffusionx

Gold Member

It sounds like Sony did provide input on the RT, though, as they worked with AMD on the hardware the PSSR needs.

Last edited:

HogIsland

It's not about the performance levels that do or don't matter, it's about AI upscaling and raytracing. All AMD needs to do is to finally get a foothold in those 2 and they are good.

At the end of the day people are Nvidia for the dlss and the rt
I agree these are relevant, but Nvidia has no answer for mobile APUs. Nvidia isn't in the AAA consoles. AMD has unique advantages too.

yurinka

In addition to the extra 45% GPU there's the extra 10% GPU, more and faster memory available, PSSR and a layer of Cerny hot sauce on top.

As in many PS5 games TLOU2R had 1440p 60fps (when unlocked is 75-100) and 4K 30fps (when unlocked is 40 with some 35 dips) at launch. Pretty likely the Pro mode for these cases will be native 4K 60fps featuring better IQ and AA thanks to PSSR. And maybe also a steady 120fps Pro mode with lower native resolution (but still great IQ) and even maybe a 8K mode (pretty likely at 30fps) and this time because of including some future RDNA4/5 stuff related to things like AI and RT improvements.

Last edited:

Eszti

Banned
just because you double perfromance with upscaling doesnt mean its 2 times faster and ps 5 has fsr too it may look worse but from all the data we have is that all upscalers give the sameish amount of performance if used on the same qaulity level. so while pro looks much better it still will be in the 45% ballpark.

Top Bottom