• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knowing what we know now: is NiGHTS still the best game ever?

NiGHTS into Dreams..

Back in the day, one of the best games ever made..

after all the new games and generations of systems since..

is it still the best game eva?

I would make the argument that it is...

NiGHTS into Dreams is still amazingly fun, still featuring some of the best level design and game design ever, and still combining many elements of gameplay that seamlessly integratre to create an amazingly unique as well as amazingly familiar experience.

NiGHTS into Dreams deserves more than just the companion disc Christmas NiGHTS... it deserves a full blown remake or sequel... damn sonic team for not popping off sequels to this game as if it was a sonic game on sega saturn...

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I was never too enthralled by the actual gameplay of Nights, but I loved playing it if only for its dream-like atmosphere created by the amazing level design, color palette and music. I'd love a sequel.

BeOnEdge

Banned
i dont even think there IS a game more replayable than NiGHTS. the problem is people who "think" they know how to play it DONT. I'll see someone playing who thinks they are playing it correctly and almost wanna cry. NiGHTS played correctly is almost comparable to something like todays SSX or Crazy Taxi or something along those lines.

If a sequel is made, people will have to be shown how to play to believe it has fun replayability. A 2 or 4 player mode also, there's so much potential in a sequel. Those days where gamers learn how to play a linear game well is long gone. Just the speed run to beat a game, and since the games are so filled with crap designed to take up a lot of time to complete, large portions of games aren't any fun. So who'd ever want to replay them?

As for Nights being the best ever, not on my list. I do think it's a great game with a lot of technique to learn, especially after you get it right. I can definetly see how it would be somebody's best game, it certainly was a progressive and inspired experience. We need more games like that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BeOnEdge said:
i dont even think there IS a game more replayable than NiGHTS. the problem is people who "think" they know how to play it DONT. I'll see someone playing who thinks they are playing it correctly and almost wanna cry. NiGHTS played correctly is almost comparable to something like todays SSX or Crazy Taxi or something along those lines.

Yes, NiGHTS is a suprisingly deep game...but some people talk it up as some incredible secret and then proceed to use that as a hype device. :p I can't deny the amount of fun I've had with it and I'm wondering if my love of Tony Hawk originated with NiGHTS. When grinding around a course and trying to keep multi-minute tricks rolling...it always reminds me of my time with NiGHTS.

To paraphrase someone in OT "5 minutes after [Nights] was released, [it wasn't] even the best [game] of the last 5 minutes."

I was planning to buy a N64 that year, I even had bought stock in SGI because Ithought N64 would be huge and SGI was under-rated..

i ended up changing my mind when I saw NiGHTS on a kiosk and played it..

i did end up selling the SGI stock for a nice profit though.. unfortunately, i never made a profoit on stocks again, so my "peak" for stocks was high school! :( LOL

anyways, nights has infinite replayability... and if you know what you are doing, it is a beautiful game..

it is painful to watch someone play teh game for the first time.. or first couple times..

bjork

Second favorite game ever, behind C64 Pirates!

I remember reading about it in a magazine's "best of the year" feature or something, and the writer said "I feel happy when I play it." I think that pretty much sums it up for me.

I also think that writer was Dave Halverson, and I also think it's the only thing he's written that I didn't take with a box of salt.

TONIC TROUBLE A+

human5892

Queen of Denmark
CrisKre said:
Mario 64 in the context of when it was released and what impact it had on gameplay is the best game ever IMO.
IAWTP.

Even without any sort of context, it certainly is one of my most favorite games ever, if not the most favorite.

BeOnEdge

Banned
now mario 64, thats a gmae i have NO IDEA how people think is the best game ever or the best mario ever for that matter. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. best mario=smw/sma bundle cart.

madara

nights is pure magic. Has this last gen lessened it? No, sadly its actually make it stronger with stream shallow games. It will be up to makers themselves truely kill nights with sequel, kinda like landstalker ones that couldn't deliver 1/1000 of presence of first one.

No game has enthralled me as magically as NiGHTS since then.. and none before it..

I guess some people had the same feeling when seeing the game and then playing it.. others didnt..

I wont say that those others "didnt get it".. because that means they are wrong.. I just think for some people, it strikes a certain chord..

I still play through Christmas nights entirely every Christmas, and love it... that "demo disc" is amazing....

CrisKre

The thing with Mario 64 is that most people that have played or seen the game when it was unveiled can understand how incredible it is/was.

I just remember the first time I hopped into the underwater level painting and dived into the lake... pure bliss. It seemd so expansive and incredible.

If you played the game at a latter time I understand it may not have had made that big an impact.

neptunes said:
According to GameFaqs FF7 is supposed to be the best game ever...:rolleyes:
And you know what? It IS the best game ever imo
Please don't use or type the words FF7/Final Fantasy 7 never again. Ok? Please do me a favour, ok?! ;)

axxxj

Animator in Waiting
CrisKre said:
The thing with Mario 64 is that most people that have played or seen the game when it was unveiled can understand how incredible it is/was.

I just remember the first time I hopped into the underwater level painting and dived into the lake... pure bliss. It seemd so expansive and incredible.

IAWTP Hoping into the lake and hearing the suttle change in the music and the whole atmosphere has to be for me the greatest moment in my video game playing life.

CrisKre said:
Mario 64 in the context of when it was released and what impact it had on gameplay is the best game ever IMO.

Wow, you're not only gay and hot, but you have great taste in games too! ;)

However, my favorite game ever remains the original Super Mario Bros on NES. I don't think any game ever had that much of an impact on me the first time I played it. It haunted my thoughts for weeks, I couldn't think about anything else... and I played it in black & white and without sound, no less.

Unfortunately, I never played NiGHTS... actually I never touched a Saturn :(

FightyF

Banned
A question to the M64 and NiGHTS fans...who here have played and finished both games?

I have, and I'd give M64 props for being a much longer game than NiGHTS, but as far as graphics, sound, music goes, there is no comparison.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Fight for Freeform said:
A question to the M64 and NiGHTS fans...who here have played and finished both games?

I have, and I'd give M64 props for being a much longer game than NiGHTS, but as far as graphics, sound, music goes, there is no comparison.
I cannot believe you just insinuated that a Sega Saturn game has better graphics than a Nintendo 64 game. Maybe you need to go back and play them both again, because although NiGHTS certainly looked good for its time and hardware, it is a pixelated mess compared to Mario 64.

human5892 said:
I cannot believe you just insinuated that a Sega Saturn game has better graphics than a Nintendo 64 game. Maybe you need to go back and play them both again, because although NiGHTS certainly looked good for its time and hardware, it is a pixelated mess compared to Mario 64.

I wish there wa an emulator for Saturn like ePSXe... hell, ANY working emulator would be great.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I really wanna play nights, are there no saturn emulators around? preferably for xbox.....

catfish said:
I really wanna play nights, are there no saturn emulators around? preferably for xbox.....

I don't think there has ever been a perfectly working Saturn emulator, the hardware was too complex for its own good or something.

Bog

Junior Ace
This thread is missing pics of the greatness.

titleb.jpg

14b.jpg

2b.jpg

kamala.jpg

8b.jpg

12b.jpg

i'd have to agree that mario 64 had better graphics..

nights were very impressive for Sega saturn however, and some of the best graphics of that generation...

i have heard many argue that they thought nights had better graphics, however.. and I might agree to a degree, if it wasnt for the horrible clipping/draw-in... if that was under control, i might agree, as the game uses a plethora of visual effects.

btw, anyone have any links to videos of expert players of this game? it can be a pretty beautiful thing to watch!

FightyF

Banned

Technically M64 is better, and of course that is due to the hardware. Keep in mind that the 3D graphics were pixellated, but many of the sprites and 2D stuff where 640 by 480 razor sharp goodness.

But I'm talking about artistic direction and level design. Nevermind the hardware capabilities.

bobafett

Nights is far from being the best game ever. Tetris, Mario 64, Lemmings, MGS, GTA, there are many nominees above Nights.

It is still a good game tough but very overhyped.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Fight for Freeform said:
Technically M64 is better, and of course that is due to the hardware. Keep in mind that the 3D graphics were pixellated, but many of the sprites and 2D stuff where 640 by 480 razor sharp goodness.

But I'm talking about artistic direction and level design. Nevermind the hardware capabilities.
Oh, I see. Well, art-wise, you may be right, but I thought you were talking on a technical level.

FightyF

Banned
Rather than edit my post which will go unnoticed, I'll just reply and add this:

M64's levels were far more expanse too. NiGHTS was not only shorter but the levels weren't that large either.

But yeah other than that...NiGHTS was a visual work of art IMO.

Cafeman

I personally think that Joust is the best game ever, but I know what you (post's originator) mean ... NiGHTS was so fantastic and I still get a warm feeling when I dig it out and play it every couple of months or so. The combination of dream-like quality, the message, the unique style of game, the great changing music, and the infinitely replayable gameplay itself, just fantastic.

The clipping is bad, but back then that was the norm. I'd love to see an update.

RiZ III

Yea I don't see how it could ever be labeled as the best game ever, but its defenitly really good. One of the few games from the saturn/psx era I still play on occasion.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Still haven't played the game, don't own a Saturn, never did, no one I knew did.

I want to know, so if they'd just remake the damn thing...

BenT

Hey, I took those shots like 4 years ago. That's my save file.

Sorry for the low scores. I suck at NiGHTS.

Top Bottom