• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KOF2003 (PS2) screens and KOF2004 Alpha-test rumors (bring salt)

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
KOF2003 (PS2) screens from NeoArcadia:

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg
6.jpg

Now for the KOF2004 rumors from an alleged alpha test. They may or may not be true. Some people were quick to label them bullshit (the same people who said the news for KOF2003 was bullshit when it was first revealed) but the truth is no one knows. A similar report from an alpha test for KOF2003 was leaked and it all turned out to be true.

- Game speed back to 02 standards. The tag is the only fast stuff
- Tag still the same rules than 03, no health recovery.
- Character portraits appear next to life bar. If kim is active then the kim portrait will be shown.
- Life bars are the same as 03
- Choose between 2 game modes: the SDM mode with no cancelling, dash nor CD attack; and the super cancelling mode with only LDM for the leader, dash, CD attack and just defended.
- Even though big part of the sprites were cut from 03, they don't look as pixelated as neowave.
- The fifth button is for the tag function
- Very flashy intro beginning with the new chars (kashmiur, tania, rock, hotaru, soiree,alba,mignon,lien), the returning (geese, kensou, bao). resembles the 99 intro. Then a collage with kyo, iori , ash, soiree and alba. intro is kinda long, the longest in all kof's.
- There's one stage ripped from svc chaos, the last one before the boss fight.
- You fight against a 03-standars-under-powered kusanagi for the 4th match. it's a subboss fight like the angel-k9999-kula in 2002. u fight between the special team of kusanagi, rose and adel. the three hidden chars.
- Music is a bunch of remixes from previous OST specially from 00 and 03
- Nothing changed for the sound department. voices remains the same
- Nice select screen with a card style like in 96 with a blue background. portraits are gettin' smaller but the chars draws are well done with the same style as 02.
- Lots of special intros, chang and choi hit kim in his intro with jhun. ryo has special intros with yuri,robert,king and terry. kyo and iori regain their 01 intro with more and new dialogues. k' has special intro with kyo, ash, kula and tania. Kensou and Bao have a very and "must seen" intro against Ash.
- If you defeat kusanagi/adel/rose with DM, SDM or LDM you'll fight Malka. if you don't, then you'll fight mukai for the bad ending (what happened to me lots of times and didn't catch the story of every team).
- Chizuru is insanely overpowered and lost her reflection move. she got slower and it's a fortune she made team with kyo and iori again
- Game finished with the k' team. Before the boss fight Malka and Mukai talk about Chizuru's power in Ash's control and Leona and Whip's strange dissapearence.
- Tania has two of K's trademark moves. Possibly another Kyo clone.
- Kashmiur is a charge and motion char, a mixure just like kim. she has a counter dm similar to the royalty test for the liberalist (Angel).
- Consider rock howard as an old terry bogard. he's small as chris, no neo deadly rave DM and no double repuken, just repuken.
- Hotaru has all her powers from garou except the DM where she absorbs energy from the oponent. she is like malin's size.
- Hokutomaru is the same as garou with less speed. He is the size of Malin.
- Geese has new sprite, clothes same as svc but face has less hair and aging signs, he is getting old.
- Duolon doesn't have his 03 infinite, Lin is the same from 01 and didn't play with Lan.

The Teams:
Hero Team: Soiree, Alba, Mignon
Anti Hero Team: Ash, Shen, Lien
Fatal Fury Team: Terry, Joe, Mary
Hizoku Team: Lin, Duo Lon, Lan
Mark of the Wolves Team: Rock, Hotaru, Hokutomaru
Korea Team: Kim, Jhun, Jae Hoon
Art of Fighting Team: Ryo, Robert, Yuri
Women's Team: King, Kashmiur, Tania
Fists of God Team: Kyo, Chizuru, Iori
Outlaw Team: Geese, Billy, Gato
Millenium Team: K', Kula, Vanessa
Psycho Soldiers Team: Athena, Kensou, Bao
Japan Team: Shingo, Benimaru, Daimon
Hidden chars: Adelheid, Rose, Kusanagi

MoxManiac

POORLY IMPLEMENTED TAG SYSTEM BEGONE

EDIT: Great to see Lin back in 2k4, but they should have used the 2k version, not the bastardized 2k1 version :(

EDIT2: WHERE THE FUCK IS THE IKARI TEAM??? GOD DAMN FUCKING SHITMORE

truesayian said:
I just got KoF 00/01.. is that the newest version there is?.. is 02 out? or does it go by a different name or what?

nah, the newest version is KoF 2002/2003 which comes out on 11/2/2003 (according to ebgames.com).

Ronin said:
No Mai Bewbs for you

Ben Herman do something MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
To clarify yes: KoF 02/03 for PS2 have proper 3D backgrounds - different from the cheesy pre-rendered backgrounds in the PS2 port of KoF 01 which were stated to be "new 3D backgrounds" by SNK-Playmore. Essentially the 00/01 package was a quick and dirty port because they were still getting their act together. 02/03 is the real deal - I'm waiting to see if the quality of the 3D stages in 03 is up to the fan-freakin'-tastic KoF Evolution for Dreamcast - port and enhancement of KoF 99. That one had 3D versions of the original stages that had new alternate settings, all new animations including some massive ones, plus several totally new 3D stages.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Anyanka said:
Is this game a dream match or is there some explination for why Geese is still alive?

Geese (hell, the vast majority of SNK bosses in general) never truly dies. He was alive in '97 (he sent BYM to the tournament) and he was mentioned in the Outlaw Team's story for '03 so its no surprise that he's back. He is suppsedly dead by 2008 though, which is when Garou:MOTW takes place (but even then he might still be alive). My guess, if they are indeed planning to kill him for real, is that they are setting it up so that Gato is the one to do it.

Goenitz will be back soon too, IMO.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
JC, Geese is supposed to be dead; he died "for good" in Real Bout Fatal Fury (and was a "ghost/nightmare" in RBS and RB2), but has been brought back again lately like he was never dead. KOF doesn't really seem to the stick with the AOF/FF continuity anyway, though.

truesayian said:
I just got KoF 00/01.. is that the newest version there is?.. is 02 out? or does it go by a different name or what?

00/01 is the "newest" KOF out in the U.S. However, since those games' release, there's been KOF 2002, KOF 2003, KOF Maximum Impact (out here in October), and KOF Neowave (out now in Japanese arcades).

It's hard to tell how KOF 2003 PS2 looks from those tiny screens, but KOF 2002 got similar treatment, and it looks great, so I'm not worried. The 3D backgrounds in that game are not up to par with the ones in '99 Evolution, but they still look good.

For anyone wondering, you can always turn off all the new effects and 3D backgrounds and play the game as it looked on the Neo-Geo as well. :) Mox, if you don't like the tag system (yuo is teh suckk), in KOF 2003 PS2, you can play in the older 3-on-3 style as well. KOF 2003 also will have an arranged soundtrack, which should turn out well, if the arranged soundtrack in SS5 PS2 is any indication.

As for KOF 2004, some stuff sounds cool, other stuff sounds fake, and some stuff sounds crappy, mainly the missing characters, but that HAS been the rumor for a while now. I really don't like seeing the Ikaris and Mai gone though, even if they are present in KOF MI and Neowave.

Lyte Edge

I will be amazed if the KOF 2002/2003 pack actually makes it to the States this year. KOF 2003 doesn't come out in Japan until sometime in October...

boutrosinit said:
But Geese is DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like BS.

Geese is the boss in KOF Neowave, so it's certainly possible.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Lyte Edge said:
I will be amazed if the KOF 2002/2003 pack actually makes it to the States this year. KOF 2003 doesn't come out in Japan until sometime in October...

Geese is the boss in KOF Neowave, so it's certainly possible.

From what I gather, NeoWave is story-free. Like SVC.

Lyte Edge

JC10001 said:
Geese isn't dead. If he is then explain Geese's appearance in the Outlaw Team's story for KOF2003.

Again, continuity in KOF is not the same as the AOF/FF games. If it was, the entire AOF cast would be at least 10 years older, for one thing. :)

Ferrio

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Again, continuity in KOF is not the same as the AOF/FF games. If it was, the entire AOF cast would be at least 10 years older, for one thing. :)

An older Yuri would kick ass.

That KoF2004 info is fake, it was tracked down to an infamous individual who previously reported from a "SvC2 beta" among other things.

Anyanka

Since when was the KOF series not connected to FF/AOF? Is this a new thing or has everyone just been wrong all this time? I have only played up to 2001 but they sure seemed to fit together and every plot guide I've seen has them connected. I thought Real Bout was the KOF tourny in 98(since 98 was a DM) and that's when Geese died for real?

belgurdo

Banned
They retconned AOF ages ago. That series' story originally started in the seventies, which is why Ryo is old in Buriki One (which came out in 1999.) The AOF characters have never had a sigificant role in the KOF storyline past '94 (other than Mr. Big being on Geese's team in '97,) and they were all reduced in age by 10 years to fit the KOF mythos. FF, however, is intertwined with KOF in a big way

Top Bottom