• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La-Mulana: Steam Edition |OT| It's Like A 2D Dark Souls

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Tried it and it states that there is no purchase record for my email address, yet it shows up under my Account on the Playism site. I'm sure someone will respond to my email next week. Thanx!

Yeah, if you sent an email to contact (at) playism-games dot com we'll get back to you asap. Sorry about the wait!

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Is there any significant version between the PC and Wii/Wii U versions? Like, which is better overall?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is there any significant version between the PC and Wii/Wii U versions? Like, which is better overall?
They're largely the same, but The PC version has steam achievements and the ability to install sound and texture packs if you so desire.

I'm stuck. I don't know where to find
the Helmet.

Here you go:

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. For anyone else having trouble with this spot:
The store in Twin Laboratories sells a Helmet for 60G which will let you move through waterfalls unimpeded. Enter Twin Laboratories through H-4 of Mausoleum of Giants.

To find H-4 in MoG, refer to the map here: http://lamulana-remake.wikia.com/wiki/Mausoleum_of_the_Giants

Also, I meant Labyrinths, not laboratories.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
They're largely the same, but The PC version has steam achievements and the ability to install sound and texture packs if you so desire.
Except I would imagine if you bought it from GOG, then no Steam achievements.

Davey Cakes

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Did any of you beat this game without a guide? I try to, but man...

images

deejay

I'm having the hardest time with this game. Is it possible to get stuck ? Like, getting stuck in a part of the game you can't get out of because of a lack of weights or anything ? I'm certain I had a moment like that yesterday, and had to start an entire new game.

Leezard

I'm having the hardest time with this game. Is it possible to get stuck ? Like, getting stuck in a part of the game you can't get out of because of a lack of weights or anything ? I'm certain I had a moment like that yesterday, and had to start an entire new game.
Well, it is quite important that you go get the Holy grail so that you can teleport out of places like that.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

So that's what those options were about, thought they were just there to switch to original music/graphics, kinda thought that would be there out of the box.

ScOULaris

Picked up the Steam version last night and messed around with it for a half-hour or so. I was in the mood for another Metroidvania-style game coming off of Guacamelee, and this looks like it will fit the bill nicely.

That being said, a couple of things irk me. For one, why in god's name did they design the jumping that way? Only being able to adjust your arc after you've reach the apex is just plain strange and feels wrong. Also, is the only way to heal in this game going all the way back to the spring a million miles away at the entrance to the initial village?

ArjanN

Picked up the Steam version last night and messed around with it for a half-hour or so. I was in the mood for another Metroidvania-style game coming off of Guacamelee, and this looks like it will fit the bill nicely.

That being said, a couple of things irk me. For one, why in god's name did they design the jumping that way? Only being able to adjust your arc after you've reach the apex is just plain strange and feels wrong. Also, is the only way to heal in this game going all the way back to the spring a million miles away at the entrance to the initial village?

That or filling up the bar near your life by picking up the orbs that enemies drop. You get a teleport ability later though.

FloatOn

yeah, I agree with the jumping it's pretty jacked up.

those little green orbs that drop, if you get a number of those that equal your health number you also full heal.

ScOULaris

So I just made about 40 minutes worth of progress and then was crushed by a column that came down from the ceiling. Lost all of that progress because the only save point was way back at near the entrance of the temple. Are you fucking kidding me? Am I missing something with regard to save points, or are there just really that few of them around?

I also obtained a map at one point, but I don't seem to have any way of viewing it. It's not in my inventory, and pressing Start just shows me the name of the general area I'm in. Is there some way of accessing the map that you get early on in the game? Do I need to buy some software in order to see the map?

ArjanN

So I just made about 40 minutes worth of progress and then was crushed by a column that came down from the ceiling. Lost all of that progress because the only save point was way back at near the entrance of the temple. Are you fucking kidding me? Am I missing something with regard to save points, or are there just really that few of them around?

I also obtained a map at one point, but I don't seem to have any way of viewing it. It's not in my inventory, and pressing Start just shows me the name of the general area I'm in. Is there some way of accessing the map that you get early on in the game? Do I need to buy some software in order to see the map?

Kinda.

Watched this video yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtAFGes3Xdo

And yes ,you need software for the map. Also, the safepoints aren't really that far apart. You'll see once you play more.

thetrin

Don't leave Gates of Guidance for another zone until you've found the Holy Grail. You'll regret not getting it later.

The jumping makes a lot of sense once you get used to the game. La-Mulana is the kind of game that, instead of meeting your expectations on how things should work, asks that you rise to the challenge and master what it offers.

Imo, the game is very rewarding as a result, but I'm kind of biased.

Get the holy grail. You SHOULD NOT venture deeper into La-Mulana without it.

Except I would imagine if you bought it from GOG, then no Steam achievements.

True, but the GOG version comes with a free copy of the 3-disc soundtrack.

So that's what those options were about, thought they were just there to switch to original music/graphics, kinda thought that would be there out of the box.

It's super easy to do. You just drop a zip file into the appropriate folder. Someone did a music pack done entirely in the style of the X68000 sound chip. It's pretty fantastic.

Also, Sajjaja, wherever you are, I saw your tweet just now to @PlayismEN. Send me an email to nayan.r (at) activegamingmedia dot com and I'll hand it over to our engineers personally.

Sajjaja

Also, Sajjaja, wherever you are, I saw your tweet just now to @PlayismEN. Send me an email to nayan.r (at) activegamingmedia dot com and I'll hand it over to our engineers personally.

Yep, saw the reply on Twitter. Sent it already. Thanks!

Don't leave Gates of Guidance for another zone until you've found the Holy Grail. You'll regret not getting it later.

The jumping makes a lot of sense once you get used to the game. La-Mulana is the kind of game that, instead of meeting your expectations on how things should work, asks that you rise to the challenge and master what it offers.

Imo, the game is very rewarding as a result, but I'm kind of biased.

Get the holy grail. You SHOULD NOT venture deeper into La-Mulana without it.

omg, this ends up being pretty crazy lol. I actually ended up exploring spring in the sky, mausoleum of the giants, and temple of the sun in almost its full entirety without getting the grail, or even the first sacred orb because I didn't know of them.

Also, beating all bosses without subweapons? Pretty ridiculous, for someone like me who is terrible at this game lol. =(

thetrin

omg, this ends up being pretty crazy lol. I actually ended up exploring spring in the sky, mausoleum of the giants, and temple of the sun in almost its full entirety without getting the grail, or even the first sacred orb because I didn't know of them.

Also, beating all bosses without subweapons? Pretty ridiculous, for someone like me who is terrible at this game lol. =(
You are a true hero.

Yep, saw the reply on Twitter. Sent it already. Thanks!
Should be fixed! Go ahead and try again.

ErichWK

I beat this game on the Wii, and there is a lot of connections to Dark Souls. I tell my friends it's like if Metroid, Dark Souls, and Indiana Jones had a baby. You have to be very slow and thoughtful on what you are doing and where you are going. and just like in Dark Souls, there are traps and illusions everywhere, never trust the game, because the second you let your guard down it will try to end you and kill you. I will say a lot of the puzzles got so vague and ridiculous that I had to use the guide at some points...but the game is one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time. My ingame clock said it took me 25 hours to beat, but with the amount of dying at all the bosses, I must've played it for at least 45.

I beat this game on the Wii, and there is a lot of connections to Dark Souls. I tell my friends it's like if Metroid, Dark Souls, and Indiana Jones had a baby. You have to be very slow and thoughtful on what you are doing and where you are going. and just like in Dark Souls, there are traps and illusions everywhere, never trust the game, because the second you let your guard down it will try to end you and kill you. I will say a lot of the puzzles got so vague and ridiculous that I had to use the guide at some points...but the game is one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time. My ingame clock said it took me 25 hours to beat, but with the amount of dying at all the bosses, I must've played it for at least 45.

lol, I'm trying to go guideless and it caused me to...not get the grail and any sacred orbs at the beginning. At that point I saw some sort of connection to dark souls (in the punishment department anyways) since it practically smashed my face in and only gave me the option to go to title.

After getting the grail though, it's way more forgiving, and now weighs heavily on the metroid/indiana jones side for me. The game barely gives you enough info to solve the puzzles, and I'm actually a big fan of the game for that alone.

Also, mausoleum of the giants....should I come back later for this boss? I want to beat him without sub weapons, but the whole "Surprise, Rocket Punch!" phase kills me way too quickly. I'm ashamed that I can only beat the Temple of the Sun boss so far. =\

hunnies28

lol, I'm trying to go guideless and it caused me to...not get the grail and any sacred orbs at the beginning. At that point I saw some sort of connection to dark souls (in the punishment department anyways) since it practically smashed my face in and only gave me the option to go to title.

After getting the grail though, it's way more forgiving, and now weighs heavily on the metroid/indiana jones side for me. The game barely gives you enough info to solve the puzzles, and I'm actually a big fan of the game for that alone.

Also, mausoleum of the giants....should I come back later for this boss? I want to beat him without sub weapons, but the whole "Surprise, Rocket Punch!" phase kills me way too quickly. I'm ashamed that I can only beat the Temple of the Sun boss so far. =\

Temple of the Sun boss was way harder for me than the Mausoleum one. If you managed to beat that as it is you can do it. Just learn it's movements.

I enjoyed this game too, mostly for the boss battles.

thetrin

Just spent about 30 mins with this... holy shit this is balls hard! Any tips?

Are you still in Gates of Guidance? My recommendation is to try to open as many chests as you can, and get the holy grail.

Sajjaja

Are you still in Gates of Guidance? My recommendation is to try to open as many chests as you can, and get the holy grail.

I was in that water place... Spirit something? idk... Then I died. My save should be in Gates of Guidance though.

gotee12

Yeah, if you sent an email to contact (at) playism-games dot com we'll get back to you asap. Sorry about the wait!

I've still not rec'd a response from my email to the address you mentioned. I sent it last Friday. Should I send another one? Sorry for the trouble!

thetrin

I've still not rec'd a response from my email to the address you mentioned. I sent it last Friday. Should I send another one? Sorry for the trouble!

Wait until Monday. It's Golden Week in Japan, so everyone (including me) is on vacation. Send one Monday morning.

Sorry about the lack of response from our contact email. It's been a very busy week for us.

gotee12

Wait until Monday. It's Golden Week in Japan, so everyone (including me) is on vacation. Send one Monday morning.

Sorry about the lack of response from our contact email. It's been a very busy week for us.

No problem. Thanx for responding to me, man!

ErichWK

For new players I'd say, a good practice is to read the tablet/tombstone looking things over and over again and then again. If you are going for a no guide run, these are your only hints to some of the more obscure puzzles. Some of the tablets aren't referring to anything specific until like.. 10 hours down the line though. Thats always fun, ha. Also make sure to hit EVERY wall. Every floor panel, and inch of the ceiling. You never know what you will find.

Sajjaja

For new players I'd say, a good practice is to read the tablet/tombstone looking things over and over again and then again. If you are going for a no guide run, these are your only hints to some of the more obscure puzzles. Some of the tablets aren't referring to anything specific until like.. 10 hours down the line though. Thats always fun, ha. Also make sure to hit EVERY wall. Every floor panel, and inch of the ceiling. You never know what you will find.

Isn't there a tablet that if you read more than once,it increases the difficulty?

ScOULaris

Alright, I finally got the Holy Grail which has helped free up some of the tedium of fruitless exploration. I am sticking to doing a no-guide run for now, but I do have one question.

In rooms with a blue treasure chest, is it always possible to somehow open it up using what is available in that room? Or are some of them impossible to solve unless you have found some important item elsewhere first?

I ask because I want to know if I should wrack my brain in every room with a treasure chest or move on and save it for later when I have the required item.

Leezard

Alright, I finally got the Holy Grail which has helped free up some of the tedium of fruitless exploration. I am sticking to doing a no-guide run for now, but I do have one question.

In rooms with a blue treasure chest, is it always possible to somehow open it up using what is available in that room? Or are some of them impossible to solve unless you have found some important item elsewhere first?

I ask because I want to know if I should wrack my brain in every room with a treasure chest or move on and save it for later when I have the required item.

Some of them are impossible, or can only be opened in another room.

Top Bottom