• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La-Mulana: Steam Edition |OT| It's Like A 2D Dark Souls

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
And to get people to buy the game. ;)

Hey, if it has that fortunate side effect, I'm not complaining.

Played for a little bit, I like it so far. Stupid question, but how do you restore HP?

Two ways:

1) You can either go sit in the hot spring just outside town

or

2) Collect those green orbs from enemies. When you collect an amount equal to your health, you will heal to full.

Hey, if it has that fortunate side effect, I'm not complaining.

Two ways:

1) You can either go sit in the hot spring just outside town

I think I missed the hot spring, I guess I need to pay more attention. Went left and got to a big zombie dude that just kept walking at me. Went right and got into a dungeon.

Is there a warp that takes you back to the town from wherever you are, or do you have to walk all the way out?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think I missed the hot spring, I guess I need to pay more attention. Went left and got to a big zombie dude that just kept walking at me. Went right and got into a dungeon.

Is there a warp that takes you back to the town from wherever you are, or do you have to walk all the way out?

Until you get the holy grail, you're going to have to walk out. The holy grail is in the Gates of Guidance, and I recommend not leaving that area until you get it (unless you're walking back to town...in which case, feel free to leave :p)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Do you guys advise against using a faq?
KuGsj.gif

Some of these puzzles are just too vague, and the hints sometimes make matters even worse.

Do you guys advise against using a faq?
KuGsj.gif

Some of these puzzles are just too vague, and the hints sometimes make matters even worse.

I'm not very far myself, but general advice seems to be against using a FAQ. Just muck around, maybe you need a new item, or can do something else first. Like for example I got stuck in the very first dungeon when you go to the right from the starter town, there's a treasure chest that seems like there's no way to get down there because of walls. I just ignored it though, maybe I'll happen across an item or something that makes it obvious how to get in there. Or maybe not and I'll never figure it out :)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm not very far myself, but general advice seems to be against using a FAQ. Just muck around, maybe you need a new item, or can do something else first. Like for example I got stuck in the very first dungeon when you go to the right from the starter town, there's a treasure chest that seems like there's no way to get down there because of walls. I just ignored it though, maybe I'll happen across an item or something that makes it obvious how to get in there. Or maybe not and I'll never figure it out :)

Yup. That's my problem. I just don't know where to go, and I feel like I can't even speak the game's language puzzle wise. I'll keep mucking and see what happens.

Yup. That's my problem. I just don't know where to go, and I feel like I can't even speak the game's language puzzle wise. I'll keep mucking and see what happens.

In the sense that you don't know which way to go first, or in the sense that you feel like you've explored every possible path available to you and everything is a dead end?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
In the sense that you don't know which way to go first, or in the sense that you feel like you've explored every possible path available to you and everything is a dead end?
- I don't know where to go first
- I'm not even sure if whatever is in front of me is a puzzle or just a hazard
- Hints/glyphs don't make a lick of sense lol
- A herp here a derp there

It's just a strange feeling. Like I need to overcome a few challenges/puzzles to pick the developer's brain and grasp the dynamic of the game. 'Cause I'm not there yet.

- I don't know where to go first
- I'm not even sure if whatever is in front of me is a puzzle or just a hazard
- Hints/glyphs don't make a lick of sense lol
- A herp here a derp there

It's just a strange feeling. Like I need to overcome a few challenges/puzzles to pick the developer's brain and grasp the dynamic of the game. 'Cause I'm not there yet.

I think that is by design. BTW, I haven't purchased it yet so I'm not sure if it will help, but I noticed an item in one of the shops that translates glyphs. Unless you're saying that the ones in English don't make sense, in which case... :(

Davey Cakes

I actually think the general consensus is to use a FAQ if you've hit all dead ends and have no idea what to do. The community of the game seems to find that acceptable, given the obtuse nature of the puzzles and world design.

I've used a wiki a few times. I'll try not to get the exact answer for something. I'll merely look for a nudge in the right direction. Sometimes you just don't know what you're able to do with what you have, and a wiki (or even the game manual) can remind you.

One tiny detail can mean the difference between hours of progress and hours of aimless wandering.

Starting to see what they mean about this game being out to get you. Was stuck for the longest time on something and then I decided "hey let me jump onto these spikes because screw it". Turns out they were just pretend spikes, and they unlocked something. lol

Also found some computer software called Death Village, haven't tried it yet though.

thetrin

I would recommend buying the glyph reader sooner rather than later.

WiiWare version was in my Top 5 last year. I hope to go back to it sometime and play deeper into the dungeon, though I'll probably never beat the game. It's confounding and really hard, but endlessly fascinating and rewarding.

hunnies28

I actually think the general consensus is to use a FAQ if you've hit all dead ends and have no idea what to do. The community of the game seems to find that acceptable, given the obtuse nature of the puzzles and world design.

I've used a wiki a few times. I'll try not to get the exact answer for something. I'll merely look for a nudge in the right direction. Sometimes you just don't know what you're able to do with what you have, and a wiki (or even the game manual) can remind you.

One tiny detail can mean the difference between hours of progress and hours of aimless wandering.

Yep, using a FAQ is not a bad idea unless you are ok with losing your sanity.
Personally I used the wiki.

lol at the Holy Grail. That's almost Simon's Quest level of cheapness right there with how to get it. I actually found it on accident while I was aimlessly wandering. Ugh.

I think I've done just about everything there is to do in the Gates of Guidance. There's one area up to the left of the up/down moving platform that I've been to but can't solve the puzzle there yet. So I think I'll need to come back to it later.

I think there's 4 areas I can go to now. I tried Temple of the Sun before I got the Holy Grail because I didn't know what I was doing, and I made some progress in it, but got stuck inside some pyramid and didn't know how to proceed, and I'm not sure I have any new tools now that would help me. So I might go wander around and try one of the other areas instead.

Edit: Actually I take it back, still 3 treasure chests in GoG that I don't know how to open, as well as 1 puzzle that I don't know what it's connected to. Guess I'll come back to them or something.

Maybe now that I have the Holy Grail I'll go hit up Temple of the Sun since I'm familiar with it and loot some of the shop items that I got last time but then could never get back out of the dungeon in order to save. Gonna call it a night now though.

Edit 2: How does this Guild thing work? It says it will alert me when there's hidden shops, but so far I haven't gotten anything. Have I just not come across any Hidden Shops yet? Pretty sure I scoured all of the Gates of Guidance with it up.

Arozay

I've had to check a guide a few times while playing, some of the hidden wall stuff gets a bit ridiculous. Up to my fifth boss.

Also, using the Holy Grail should just heal you when you teleport, instead of making tedious use of the hot springs.

Servbot24

Banned
This looks real good. Hopefully it comes to PSN or Mac. Maybe I'll be sneaky and boot it up on my mate's computer when he's out. >_>

edit: hmm hope this post doesn't count as port begging

The Hermit

I confess I used a FAQ a few times, but its SOooo more satisfying when not... There were times I've played 1 hours everyday while stuck for a week or so before figuring out the answer.

thetrin

This looks real good. Hopefully it comes to PSN or Mac. Maybe I'll be sneaky and boot it up on my mate's computer when he's out. >_>

edit: hmm hope this post doesn't count as port begging

We don't have any current plans to port it to PSN or Mac, but it's up to NIGORO whether or not that happens at some point. It wouldn't be an awful idea.

KNT-Zero

WOOOOO Got my groupees key aaand activated!

Oh wait fuck, I'm using a MAC :/

I'll switch to windows tonite to get some spelunking action! :p

So.. near the beginning of the game I found a
map of the area near the town
but.. I can't seem to access this in any way and it doesnt appear in my list of items? What gives? (If this is supposed to be some kind of puzzle don't spoil me.)

Goldmund

The hit detection on the second boss (well, the second I encountered, the one in the Mausoleum of the Giants) seemed way off. It seemed almost random whether I hit him or not
during the first phase, before his mask falls off
. I finally beat him, but man, that was making me furious.

Great game, though. I guess I'm heading to the watery part next. I'm wearing a helmet.

how does this play with the keyboard? and is everything randomized?

The jumping is a little weak, but otherwise it's fine. And the jumping issue isn't keyboard specific anyway.

Also nothing is randomized, all the levels and rooms are statically designed.

So.. near the beginning of the game I found a
map of the area near the town
but.. I can't seem to access this in any way and it doesnt appear in my list of items? What gives? (If this is supposed to be some kind of puzzle don't spoil me.)

Just keep playing, you'll know when you can access it.
You get map reader software for your computer later

Top Bottom