• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Microsoft announces X360 pricing at lollapalooza 2005

Pakman

krypt0nian said:
They are just spewing out the going news. Nothing new here as the pricing hasn't even come up in the press conference yet. Typical IGN. Even late with the unconfirmed news. :lol

Are you sure? They state "Today at the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany, Microsoft unveiled the price of their upcoming next-generation system. "

Elios83

Pakman said:
Are you sure? They state "Today at the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany, Microsoft unveiled the price of their upcoming next-generation system. "

You'd call that 'last hope' :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
those IGN prices are odd. 299 euro is £203. You think they couldn't make it to £199 - quite a psychological jump from over £200 to £100-something.

But the £279 for the whole caboodle is better than £299 - but again an odd price.

Storage

* Detachable and upgradeable 20GB hard drive

Optimized for Online

* Instant, out-of-the-box access to Xbox Live features with broadband service, including Xbox Live Marketplace for downloadable content, gamer profile for digital identity, and voice chat to talk to friends while playing games, watching movies, or listening to music

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/factsheet.htm

It’s important to note that this headset is included with the Xbox 360 console.
MS Retail Training

:lol :lol :lol

Pakman said:

Its probably true, but what I was saying is that it hasn't even been announced yet IGN states that it has. Go to the LIVE update thread that Blim and Kobold have running.

Like i said, Typical IGN. Never let journalism get in the way of a story.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Solid said:
for real?

Yep.

Kind of ironic that the only thing that MS is charging for is the ability to actually play your P2P games online. :lol

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Did you not read/see the MS hype hype hype for the extra shit, or are you just playing the "its all about the games" crap for laughs now?"

... i'm not saying it's all about the games, dickface.

I'm simply asking whether the HDD functions meant more than the games?
"$299 launch = buy 2-3 launch games
$399 launch = buy no games = buy no system = wait for pricedrop"

get a better job?
start using your GAF time to give hand jobs to crack whores or something?

i'm not paying 400 for what came with the original and what i didnt use with the original.

err... then get the $299 SKU ?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
DCharlie said:

get a better job?
start using your GAF time to give hand jobs to crack whores or something?

err... then get the $299 SKU ?

if i cant use any old hd im not buying it at all. i know for a fact that the microsoft ones will be gouged like crazy.

and yes its all about the games, and im pretty sure they will all be better on the ps3.

DCharlie said:

:lol Dickface. Okay shitstain, its not one or the other. Its everything they have been pushing. Again, did you miss all of the hype about service and software?

:lol Dickface.

standard audio-visual cable

component HD audio-visual cables

:lol :lol :lol

they couldnt even get the A/V cable right ....

HD ERA WITH COMPOSITE OUT @ $299!!!

something fucked up is happening in redomond, and it's not affecting just one company...

bloke

Now that it's official...
HDDless 360 for 300€ = lame. I could swallow it at 250€ since that's what yanks will be paying it, but no sir, fuck them europeans in the ass!!!! :lol

bill0527

I see a lot of Sony-ers gleefully laughing their assess off at the ownage of the Xbots.

I wouldn't be so smug. Microsoft just did Sony a huge favor. Not only has Microsoft raised game pricing, they've also upped the price of initial hardware. Sony doesn't have to take the PR hit for this. Sony doesn't have to test the market. Sony can come in at a $100 higher price point and justify it with a next-gen DVD drive and the bragging rights to say they have the most powerful console. If you don't think Sony will exploit this to the tune of a $400-$500 console, you're beyond denial. The reason why Sony wins with this price announcement for Xbox 360 is because the market will have already been primed for higher console and game prices by the time PS3 gets to market. Mark your calendars because today is the day that the $299 console died.

As mentioned before, I don't know why anyone would buy the bare bones $299 console because you're gonna have to spend an additional $30-$40 just for some type of memory stick storage (unless the 360 lets you use your PC as storage over a network, and even the average consumer won't have this option). You would be much better off buying the $399 version and getting everything up front. The $299 console is really only there as a joke. A psychological filter for those people that say they refuse to pay more than $299 for a console. By the time that person gets to the cash register with his $299 Xbox360, and all the accessories that he needs, he might as well have purchased the $399 version.

I will say this in Microsoft's favor, at least they are bundling their system with some worthwhile accessories, unlike the PSP value pack, which gave you an additional $75 worth of crap that most people have sitting in the bottom of their closet because they had go out and buy better stuff than what came in the package.

hadareud

The Translator
bloke said:
HDDless 360 for 300€ = lame. I could swallow it at 250€ since that's what yanks will be paying it, but no sir, fuck them europeans in the ass!!!! :lol

There's one thing you are forgetting: VAT ...

and, for a limited time, an Xbox 360 media remote

what the hell, so it's $100 for just the HDD and Headset and price difference between wired and wireless?

oh, yeah, almost forgot Poland
the ETHERNET CABLE!!!

bill0527 said:
I see a lot of Sony-ers gleefully laughing their assess off at the ownage of the Xbots.

Bill, I'd be with you there if it were not for the xbots complaining as well. This is a trainwreck of SEGA proportions.

The Faceless Master said:
and, for a limited time, an Xbox 360 media remote

what the hell, so it's $100 for just the HDD and Headset and price difference between wired and wireless?

oh, yeah, almost forgot Poland
the ETHERNET CABLE!!!

Plus if you think about it, the $299 sku is just a graphics card update, as all the cool features of the 360 won't work.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bloke said:

Compared to previous EU launches, this is almost getting a blowjob from MS. I'm sure Sony will put things right with a good old Donkey punch for PS3 launch.

Rob

I just think it's a mistake to release 2 separate packages. I have absolutely no problem with the 399.99 price tag considering that it includes a 20 gig hard drive, a wireless controller, a wireless remote, ethernet cable, etc.

For those who thought they were going to get all of that along with a 3 core 3.2 ghz cpu, a cutting edge ATI graphics card, a 12x dvd player, and an ethernet card for 299.99, you were dreaming!

I just think the "alternative" package is pointless.

Izzy

Banned
bill0527 said:
Microsoft just did Sony a huge favor. Not only has Microsoft raised game pricing, they've also upped the price of initial hardware. Sony doesn't have to take the PR hit for this. Sony doesn't have to test the market. Sony can come in at a $100 higher price point and justify it with a next-gen DVD drive and the bragging rights to say they have the most powerful console. If you don't think Sony will exploit this to the tune of a $400-$500 console, you're beyond denial. The reason why Sony wins with this price announcement for Xbox 360 is because the market will have already been primed for higher console and game prices by the time PS3 gets to market.

Agreed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bill0527 said:

Sure, but that doesn't stop the fact that if this pricing is right, MS are the ones that will bear the brunt of consumer reaction. It won't exactly help them hit their 10m first.

And if all they do is make the pain more acceptable for PS3, then that doesn't help them, it just helps Sony.

Yes, I want a cheap console. But I also want any competition against Sony to be cut-throat and hungry for blood. They'll need to be to compete in any reasonable way. I'm not seeing that with anything mentioned today.

TigerKnee

The $400 is a good deal but a tad too expensive for me.

Fuck... I may have to get the bare bones one. I don't want to miss out on the launch

Tedesco!

So I can pay $300 for an X-box that's basically weaker than the X-box I currently own (no hard drive, marginally better graphics) or pay an extra $100 for a wireless controller and a hard drive? :lol I can think of better things to spend my money on.

123rl

Tedesco! said:
So I can pay $300 for an X-box that's basically weaker than the X-box I currently own (no hard drive, marginally better graphics) or pay an extra $100 for a wireless controller and a hard drive? :lol I can think of better things to spend my money on.

lol

Some info...in french

- Microsoft présente leur stand au Games Convention 2005 et leur partenariat avec le salon. Les chiffres de ventes sont dévoilés.

- 2 millions d’utilisateurs au Xbox Live, la liste des jeux sur Xbox est abordée, Microsoft annonce que tous les jeux sur Xbox sont compatible avec la Xbox 360

- Les caractéristiques de la Xbox 360 sont évoquées. Le console est terminée et en version commerciale.

- Un représentant américain de Microsoft expose les différentes possibilités de connexions de la console et l'utilisation du Xbox Live. L'interface est montrée en détail sur une Xbox 360.

- Un Ipod et une PSP sont connectés à la Xbox 360, le représentant montre l'interface musicale et de transfert de la console.

- Microsoft annonce que tous les éditeurs travaillent sur Xbox 360 et avec les compatibilités online de la console. Un représentant d'Electronic Arts arrive sur la scène pour parler de la console sur laquelle toutes les licences de la firme américaine seront présentes.

Mrbob

Aidios 360. I really wanted the system to succeed too. Not going to happen now.

I welcome our upcoming PLAYSTATION 3 one console future.

Fuck MS and their $399 price point and $60 Xbox 1.5 games (Which the majority of them look like).

Mrbob

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
- Call of Duty 2 est annoncé en exclusivité sur Xbox 360, une vidéo de Project Gotham Racing 3 est montrée.

Exclusive for console.

Still coming out for the PC.

I can still get CoD2 and Oblivion on my PC! :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Elios83 said:
The basic model is laughable imo.
No hard disk,wired controller,composite cable...... :lol :D :lol

TGS 2005, Sony conference :

"we will be launching next generation playstation at an unprecedented low price. The basic version will launch at $199, and come complete with AV cable, wireless controller and demo disc. The value pack version at $499 has all of the basic version elements plus the actual PS3 unit itself. This allows the widest possible group of people to get into Playstation 3 at a price that they can afford"

PG2G

Damn, are all of you guys 14 year old kids saving your lunch money or something? I'm as disappointed as the next man, but I'm not gonna let it stop me from buying the shit I want.

teiresias

I would like to thank everyone here at GAF and at TeamXbox for making my morning work productivity absolutely worthless and nil.

Perhaps the most interesting thing (aside from the HDD) is that the HDD-less version comes with regular video cables (composite I'd guess) while the version with the HDD comes with component cables (I'd hope the cable still has a composite option though for those wanting the more expensive bundle for reasons other than having component connections). HD Era indeed.

Yes, this whole thing is amusing, considering it pans out completely to be true - I'd guess it is at this point, given the wording of the IGN article.

bill0527 said:

I wouldn't be so smug.

I agree with your assertions on the affect MS's pricing could have, but I disagree with the ownage stuff. I have no issue with hardware getting somewhat more expensive, but the ownage is for those ridiculous Xbots (Barnimal - where is he I wonder??!! :lol ) that were convinced, and preaching to everyone on the internet, that MS was going to sell the Xbox360 with a HDD, five years of free Xbox Live Gold, four wireless controllers and a pack-in disk with every backwards compatible-enabled Xbox1 game included along with a demo of Halo3 for a price of $150.

Mrbob said:
Exclusive for console.

Still coming out for the PC.

I can still get CoD2 and Oblivion on my PC! :D

Careful, Mrbob, you're starting to cross the line into xbox 1 territory "but its on PC!" talk.

Just saying...

- Présentation de Final Fantasy XI et du très beau Kameo : Elements of Power.

come on microsoft....you know what we want...the price to be confirmed...

Mrbob

Huh? Oblivion and CoD2 are also planned for the PC. I was planning on possibly getting them for 360 but now that is unlikely I'll buy a 360 at launch I'll grab them on the PC since they are due out this year.

haha this no standard hdd news really sucks! crimson_skies am crying

Me am crying too.

That's what makes the $399 package worthless. The split skus. I may need to create a thread to turn in our Xbox jackets.....

Redbeard

Banned
Tedesco! said:

How much is a lobotomy?

Mrbob said:
That's what makes the $399 package worthless. The split skus. I may need to create a thread to turn in our Xbox jackets.....

How is it "worthless", you idiot?

Tedesco!

PG2G said:
Damn, are all of you guys 14 year old kids saving your lunch money or something? I'm as disappointed as the next man, but I'm not gonna let it stop me from buying the shit I want.

No, but it doesn't mean that I'm going to buy it at launch. I'll probably wait until the price drop, which will be nice as then I could buy some of the games used. I'm not going to go broke just to play videogames.

Top Bottom