• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lance Armstrong facing possible ban, would miss Tour de France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarazet

UPDATE 4/24/09: ARMSTRONG SAYS CASE IS CLOSED. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/apr09/apr24news3

Basically, the French doping authority sent someone after Lance to take an out of competition doping control. His manager Johan Bruyneel was with him at the time. Bruyneel made some calls to confirm the guy's credentials. Lance left to take a shower, then came back for the dope test. AFLD says Lance was not allowed to leave the doping controller and now faces a ban from racing on French soil, which means no Tour de France. Armstrong insists he was given permission to leave.

The International Cycling Union (UCI) was not ready to speculate Thursday on whether or not it would uphold a possible sanction of Lance Armstrong by the French anti-doping authorities. The seven-time champion fell afoul of the Agence Française de Lutte contre le Dopage (AFLD) during a March 17 out-of-competition doping control where, authorities claim, he disobeyed procedures.

The AFLD announced Thursday that it was considering disciplinary proceedings against Armstrong for failing to remain in sight of the doping control officer between notification of the test and the collection of blood, urine and hair samples. Armstrong insisted he was given permission by the officer to leave his presence in order to shower.

Contacted by Cyclingnews on Thursday evening, UCI president Pat McQuaid said that the UCI would wait until an AFLD decision before commenting in depth on the Lance Armstrong situation. However in reading between the lines, it sounded like things could potentially become quite complex.

"I sent them a letter yesterday saying we don't have jurisdiction in this matter," confirmed McQuaid, backing up the assertion by the AFLD that the UCI said it was allowed to start a proceeding. "It is a French national affair under French law.

"At this point in time, it is up to the AFLD whether they want to progress with this or not. If they do, if they give a sanction, then I will ask our lawyers to look at the case as to whether a sanction would be applicable [worldwide] under UCI rules or not," said McQuaid.

"We will wait and see what happens. As far as we are aware, he hasn't broken either UCI or WADA rules," he continued.

The AFLD is certain to contest this point, given that it quoted WADA's International Standard of Testing guidelines in its statement on Thursday. That states that the athlete being tested must "remain within direct observation of the DCO/Chaperone at all times from the point of notification by the DCO/Chaperone until the completion of the Sample collection procedure." The days and weeks ahead are certain to reveal more details about the case.

Cyclingnews was not able to reach WADA or Armstrong's spokesman Mark Higgins for comments on the matter.

Under current rules, the AFLD has the power to ban Lance Armstrong from racing on French soil. Once a national ban is in place, the UCI can then decide to apply it or not in other jurisdictions.

It followed this pattern in the recent case of Stefan Schumacher, the double Tour de France stage winner who subsequently tested positive for CERA. Any ruling against Armstrong by either the AFLD or another body is likely to be appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport [CAS].

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/apr09/apr10news

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I'm not up and up on my cycling news...but didn't Lance retire?...and haven't the french been trying to get Lance out of the Tour forever cause they hate that he keeps winning so commandingly?

Gallbaro

Banned
Fucking Frogs, this is extremely transparent. But Armstrong, as well as anyone else, knew the French would do everything they could to discredit him in the name of national pride.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Seems like they've been out to get him for a long time. Since they can't get him on doping they'll get him on a technicality.

Tarazet

KHarvey16 said:
Why don't they just do the test again?

Actually they did a hair test, not much you can do to fake those.

Kabouter said:
It's so sad that all the cycling news posted here seems to be about Armstrong :/.

I was as happy about Stijn Devolder's RvV double as anyone, but I doubted anyone but you would be interested.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
RubxQub said:
I'm not up and up on my cycling news...but didn't Lance retire?...and haven't the french been trying to get Lance out of the Tour forever cause they hate that he keeps winning so commandingly?

He un-retired a bit back.

Gallbaro

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
WOW!!! Why?
Because the French do not want to loose again to an American and want to discredit his past achievements, they have it out for him. It is like Cool Runnings, except with white people and bikes.
Edit: This was his 24th test.

KHarvey16

sonarrat said:
Actually they did a hair test, not much you can do to fake those.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. But if they're all up in arms about him breaking protocol and perhaps tainting the results of the other tests, why is a ban on technicality preferable to simply testing him again the next day without letting him shower this time?

I guess I can come up with my own answer for that :).

Gallbaro said:
Because the French do not want to loose again to an American and want to discredit his past achievements, they have it out for him. It is like Cool Runnings, except with white people and bikes.

:lol

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Justin Bailey said:
Seems like they've been out to get him for a long time. Since they can't get him on doping they'll get him on a technicality.

they have been trying to nail him for so long. this is ridiculous.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
shuri said:
is this was some no-name contestant, people would say he's possibly a cheating loser

and you'd probably still manage to make some vague, smug remark... :)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
But wouldn't the Tour de France lose crediblity for this? This is like The Masters banning Tiger because he didn't have his shoes tied.

Tarazet

mckmas8808 said:
But wouldn't the Tour de France lose crediblity for this? This is like The Masters banning Tiger because he didn't have his shoes tied.

Or Tiger asking the Masters if he could untie his shoes to put on another pair, then getting banned because he didn't have his shoes tied. It's beyond retarded, especially since Bruyneel, certainly the most respected man in the whole sport, was there to corroborate the whole thing.

Big-E

mckmas8808 said:

No? The Tour has survived without American interest for years upon years, this will do nothing to hurt the sport. Lance won't be winning this Tour regardless anyway.

Fularu

Banned
Gallbaro said:

I've read a lot of stupid things on this board, but this is just too funny.

Can you please tell me when was the last time a french won Le Tour de France? Can you remember them trying to pin Hindurain? Or Ulrich? or Lemon?

Well no, you can't. This has nothing to do with a witch hunt after Lance, and everything to do with past positive tests beeing hidden under the "anonimity test" shit.

L'Équipe had a very interesting article about Armstrong and the various doping tests he avoided in the past and a very in depth one with EPO positive tests.

Blader

Fularu said:

Can you please tell me when was the last time a french won Le Tour de France? Can you remember them trying to pin Hindurain? Or Ulrich? or Lemon?

Well no, you can't. This has nothing to do with a witch hunt after Lance, and everything to do with past positive tests beeing hidden under the "anonimity test" shit.

L'Équipe had a very interesting article about Armstrong and the various doping tests he avoided in the past and a very in depth one with EPO positive tests.

"Le Tour"? Get out of here Frenchie!

Big-E

Fularu said:

Don't forget Greg LeMond.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Fularu said:

Everything I've read said that article had some holes in it including not being able to verify results via second samples....

Tarazet

Fularu said:

If you're going to accuse someone of doping, you need to play by the rules and you need to be able to show that you followed established protocol to the letter. Lance did make a mistake here, but the AFLD are just playing dirty pool here with their actions. Not only did they take a hair test, which is not required or even recognized under WADA or UCI regulations - they essentially subjected him to entrapment by telling him he could do something that was against the rules.

Alx

It is common knowledge that almost all the Tour contestants are cheating, anyway... and it's been this way for years. How many retired champions have admitted that they were taking drugs during their competitions ? It doesn't even surprise anybody or make a scandal, now.
The organizers are after Armstrong because he (most probably) cheats and wins, whereas other contestants cheat and don't win. That's the only reason he gets more harrassed than others.

Fularu

Banned
Le Tour de France has been subject to a LOT of pressure to be as clean as possible. People are tired of doping and cheating. Each time, new cheaters are found and there's a LOT of suspicion around Armstrong if only because his old trainers said he used doping products. But I guess they said it because they were sour and wanted the french to win, right?

AFLD is just as hard on french people as it is on foreigners. Need I remind you of Virrenque?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Fularu said:

the previous winning streak record was shared by several people. two of which were french. lance.. an american (not viewed well by most europeans).. completely smashed that record.

Gallbaro

Banned
Fularu said:
Le Tour de France has been subject to a LOT of pressure to be as clean as possible. People are tired of doping and cheating. Each time, new cheaters are found and there's a LOT of suspicion around Armstrong if only because his old trainers said he used doping products. But I guess they said it because they were sour and wanted the french to win, right?

AFLD is just as hard on french people as it is on foreigners. Need I remind you of Virrenque?
And how many active riders has the tour come out publicly against stating embarrassment?

Fularu

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
the previous winning streak record was shared by several people. two of which were french. lance.. an american (not viewed well by most europeans).. completely smashed that record.

Greg Lemond was loved in France during his prime. Lance Armstrong was liked a lot at the start and then became more and more suspicious with test evasion.

also he isn't liked by the french population because even though he lived in France, he adamantly refused to learn the language.

Gallbaro said:
And how many active riders has the tour come out publicly against stating embarrassment?

I think you need to look up "Festina" and Le Tour de France in the 90ies, or how Le Tour banned Ulrich (who was loved a lot in France).

You have no basis for your accusations. You're just a sour american trying to find the problem with the french people instead of where it is. The higher you are on the food chain, the more doping tests you get. This isn't anything new and happens in every sports.

Fularu said:
Greg Lemond was loved in France during his prime. Lance Armstrong was liked a lot at the start and then became more and more suspicious with test evasion.

also he isn't liked by the french population because even though he lived in France, he adamantly refused to learn the language.

fuck their stupid language
the french are mad that Lance owns them in their own race easily

Fularu

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
how dare he!!! :lol

Yes, I'm sure it is perfectly fine in the US to be a hispanic refusing to learn english.

Oh wait... no, I've heard you (as in americans) complain about it all the time.

If you are to live in a country for 8+ years, the *least* you can do is learn the fucking language

He probably doped back when basically every single rider was doing it, and the French are just bitter they couldn't catch him and have been trying for years to make up for it.

Fularu said:
Yes, I'm sure it is perfectly fine in the US to be a hispanic refusing to learn english.

Oh wait... no, I've heard you (as in americans) complain about it all the time.

If you are to live in a country for 8+ years, the *least* you can do is learn the fucking language

you mean like how we hated Sammy Sosa for not speaking english OH WAIT

Mau ®

I heard the guy gets tested like 5 times a week or something. I think these people are way too paranoid about him.

Gildor

Trying to ban Lance on this technicality is extremely petty by the French. Yeah, he probably doped in the past, like every other cyclist, but they need to catch him for real if they want to ban him.

Gallbaro

Banned
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/7993738.stm

The head of world cycling says France's anti-doping agency (AFLD) acted unprofessionally in a drugs test conducted on Lance Armstrong in March.

The American could face punishment from the AFLD over claims he violated strict dope-testing rules, although no traces of drugs were found in his samples.

But International Cycling Union (UCI) chief Pat McQuaid questioned why the news had been leaked to the press.

"The French are not acting very professionally in this case," he said.

Although French doctors declared Armstrong's hair, urine and blood samples were all drug-free, the AFLD said the seven-time Tour de France champion behaved strangely when a tester asked him to provide the samples following a training ride in the French Riviera town of Beaulieu-sur-Mer on 17 March.

The Texan said he was unsure of the identity of the AFLD drug tester who had turned up at his French base for an unscheduled visit, leading to a 20-minute delay.

Armstrong claimed he was given permission to shower during that period while his manager verified the tester's credentials, a fact confirmed by McQuaid.

"The tester has to have a specific instruction that the athlete must remain under his supervision from the moment he is notified until the test is concluded," he told the BBC.

In this case it was leaked to the press and I do find that disturbing

UCI chief Pat McQuaid

"From my understanding, this was not the case. Lance Armstrong had every right to take a shower while his manager (Astana team head Johan Bruyneel) checked with the UCI that these people had the authority to take these samples.

"During that time his manager rang me and I put him on to our anti-doping manager, who confirmed that it (the AFLD) has the authority to take samples."

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ninja Scooter said:
lance only has one testicle i bet that helps him cheat drug tests somehow.

He uses the empty space in his sack, to store his Advance Whizzinator.

Tarazet

Fularu said:
I think you need to look up "Festina" and Le Tour de France in the 90ies, or how Le Tour banned Ulrich (who was loved a lot in France).

Ullrich was never banned. He was hounded by German authorities following a solid link to Operation Puerto until he packed up and retired, even though he was never charged.

You have no basis for your accusations. You're just a sour american trying to find the problem with the french people instead of where it is. The higher you are on the food chain, the more doping tests you get. This isn't anything new and happens in every sports.

Tell me how many doping tests Alberto Contador has been subjected to in the past year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom