• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light |OT| - Play This GOTY Contender

Salsa

Already decided with my friend that when we finish Epic Yarn we are going back to do a second playthrough of this. Game was just too good.

Cels

Good to hear the online co-op mode finally got finished (for the Xbox version, at least). It just took 10 weeks, that's all.

Hoping for a much speedier development time for the DLC as well as online co-op for the PS3 and PC versions.

Booshka

So, will you be able to play online co op with strangers as well as friends, or just friends? I'd like some details on the matchmaking or if it will just be like Quick Match, Custom Match, etc.

I have been waiting for this update so I can tell my friend to buy it and play online with him. I'd also like to play some GAFers as well. Can't wait for the 27th.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Synless said:
Wait, I thought the 360 version had the patch the day the psn version came out? Well, seems like the psn patch is a ways away.
They delayed it again around the time the PSN version came out and just barely announced the new date earlier today.

Nearing completion of first playthrough with a friend. I only get to hang with him once every 2 weeks, so it's taken us a while, but we have loved every second.

Didn't Crystal Dynamics state that the first batch of DLC would be free because of the fact that the co-op was not active? Are there any details on the DLC yet?

Just finished the game with a friend, what a great experience, although I thought the last levels got a little hectic sometimes with all the firebombs raining out of the sky and all the firetraps.. Sometimes it just wasn't fun anymore.

I remember people talking about a puzzle that involves fire and I'm pretty sure I know which one they were talking about, I felt pretty smart when I figured it out.. Then came the raptors. :lol Very well made.

Let's hope the DLC comes out for the PS3 version sometime this year, the online coop can rot in limbo for all I care at this point. I just want more levels, puzzels and characters (if they're not just reskins).

Majmun

Downloading the Ps3 version now. I hope it's good.
Loved all of the Tomb Raider games so far. I thought Chronicles en Angel of Darkness were amazing. So I must like this one too, I hope.

crispyben

Second said:
Loved all of the Tomb Raider games so far. I thought Chronicles en Angel of Darkness were amazing. So I must like this one too, I hope.
I'm replaying each level to get that final trophy for unlocking all weapons/relics/artifacts, and this is really fun, so don't worry :D

Second said:
Loved all of the Tomb Raider games so far. .
It is. I'm on a mission to tell people that this game is a steal for 12$.
It's different from Tomb Raider games though.
better

Sectus

Keir_Eidos said:
That was quick!

Here's something I've posted over on the Eidos forums and tombraiderforums.com
That's good news. I haven't bought the game yet, but that will probably convince me.

Is it possible for you to tell how the netcode works for long distances? If I'm in Europe, and I play with someone in Japan, will that actually work or will there too much of a delay to the movement or other type of lag?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Well, I had downloaded the demo from that GameStop thing a while back and I finally decided to purchase the game tonight. It's a lot of fun. However, there's a problem. The game appears on my trophy list, but it just doesn't unlock trophies. What's up with that? Any solutions?

mclem

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
There should've been DLC by now.

I'm still curious to know what extra characters they're going to put in this game, maybe Tifa or Cloud.

The only character I particularly associate with Crystal Dynamics is, well, Gex. Which would be interesting.

ArjanN

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
There should've been DLC by now.

I'm still curious to know what extra characters they're going to put in this game, maybe Tifa or Cloud.

Kain and Raziel are probably two of them.

Eccocid

Got it last night(PS3 version) and couldnt stop playing for 2 hours!
The most fun TR game ever made i think!
Too bad ps3 version doesnt have online co-op yet, too bad it is a game which should be played by co-op only and it lacks it at launch :( (i dont have friends who would play it now with me at my place)

Anyone can tell me if there are any technical differences between the ps3 and 360 versions? (I know about the online coop, it's not really important for me, I'm interested in local) I could go safe and buy the 360 version but I feel like I've had my ps3 abandoned for quite a bit now and I'd like a reason to turn it on again...

Cels

molekiller said:
Anyone can tell me if there are any technical differences between the ps3 and 360 versions? (I know about the online coop, it's not really important for me, I'm interested in local) I could go safe and buy the 360 version but I feel like I've had my ps3 abandoned for quite a bit now and I'd like a reason to turn it on again...

360 version is superior technically - has better and consistent framerate. On PS3 you shoot with R2 and grapple with R1 from what I remember, which some people find problematic, but this isn't a twitch shooter like Call of Duty so that issue isn't as big a deal as it could be.

Keir_Eidos

Eidos Loves You
More w00tness:

FREE* DLC for Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light on XBLA coming Wednesday October 27th

Full online co-op also on October 27th

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is to receive a major update on Xbox Live Arcade this Wednesday, October 27, 2010. Full online functionality including co-operative play will be activated via a free title update and free* downloadable content will be available for a limited time period.

“We’re delighted the Online Co-op is ready and going live – as a thank you to the patient Xbox gamers, and for a limited time only we will be giving away our first DLC pack for free. Download it, have a go and while you’re there try the online co-op mode, it’s great fun,” said Darrell Gallagher, General Manager of Crystal Dynamics.

(*The first DLC pack entitled ‘All the trappings’ will be given away for free for 30 days to XBLA players. The pack offers up a brand new area to conquer and features a combination of puzzle, exploration and combat experiences.)

The co-op and DLC update for PlayStation3 and PC players will be coming soon. More details to follow.

Keir_Eidos said:
More w00tness:

FREE* DLC for Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light on XBLA coming Wednesday October 27th

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is to receive a major update on Xbox Live Arcade this Wednesday, October 27, 2010. Full online functionality including co-operative play will be activated via a free title update and free* downloadable content will be available for a limited time period.

“We’re delighted the Online Co-op is ready and going live – as a thank you to the patient Xbox gamers, and for a limited time only we will be giving away our first DLC pack for free. Download it, have a go and while you’re there try the online co-op mode, it’s great fun,” said Darrell Gallagher, General Manager of Crystal Dynamics.

(*The first DLC pack entitled ‘All the trappings’ will be given away for free for 30 days to XBLA players. The pack offers up a brand new area to conquer and features a combination of puzzle, exploration and combat experiences.)

The co-op and DLC update for PlayStation3 and PC players will be coming soon. More details to follow.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

Mr_Zombie

The first DLC pack entitled ‘All the trappings’ will be given away for free for 30 days to XBLA players.

Does that mean that you have to download the DLC within 30 days or that after 30 days you can't use it anymore and have to buy it?

Dynoro

Mr_Zombie said:
Does that mean that you have to download the DLC within 30 days or that after 30 days you can't use it anymore and have to buy it?
Going off past similar deals; you get 30 days to download it and after that the price goes up.

Peff

Mr_Zombie said:

Former, I assume. Once you "buy" it at 0 points, it's yours forever.

Also, YES :D !

Keir_Eidos

Eidos Loves You
If you download it in the first 30 days it's free. After that, people that download it will have to pay. Not sure on the prices yet.

The DLC is awesome too. I was lucky enough to play test some of it while I was out at Crystal. The designers came up with loads of great ideas for maps and puzzles while making LCGoL that they weren't able to implement into the game, but were able to put in the DLC.

(Disclaimer: The DLC is completely additional, and is purely for people that crave about more LCGoL action beyond the game)

And for the PS3/PC gamers amongst us, here's what Karl Stewart said in an interview with Kotaku a while back.

The first of those packs will be free for Xbox 360 users for the first 30 days of release. It will include a trio of new challenge rooms. Stewart said that Crystal Dynamics hopes to be able to offer the same kind of release for the PS3 and Steam versions but that such a plan is not set in stone yet.

http://kotaku.com/5644222/lara-croft-online-co+op-will-happen-just-later-than-planned

Lumine

Thanks for keeping us up to date, but is there any reason why people who bought it on PS3 or PC are being treated like third rate customers? The game costs the same across all platforms you know.

Keir_Eidos

Eidos Loves You
Lumine said:
Thanks for keeping us up to date, but is there any reason why people who bought it on PS3 or PC are being treated like third rate customers? The game costs the same across all platforms you know.

Being a part of Summer of Arcade was a great honour for LCGoL. It's certainly not Crystal's intention to treat anyone like third rate customers, on a personal level however, I do understand your frustration.

I don't make the calls on exclusivity, but what I can do is pass on feedback to the people that do, so your voice is heard.

I know this isn't much - but the good news is this 360 update brings us a significant step closer to the PC and PS3 updates.

unomas

Banned
Thank you god, I've had the game for a few months now and was waiting for the online co-op to come out so I could get started. Should be fun.

krae_man

Are you gonna fix the trophy bug when the co-op patch for PS3 comes?

I don't want to play anymore if it's a crap shoot if I i'll get the trophys I earned or not.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Keir_Eidos said:
The DLC is awesome too. I was lucky enough to play test some of it while I was out at Crystal. The designers came up with loads of great ideas for maps and puzzles while making LCGoL that they weren't able to implement into the game, but were able to put in the DLC.
How does the DLC work, are the new levels added on to the main game or are they accessed from a separate menu?

Also, could you possibly shed some light on the new characters DLC, dates (estimates) and what characters? Will they be simply new skins/models or will they have unique play mechanics?

Greg

This game is amazing and definitely fills a void on consoles... if it keeps up the pace through the end this is definitely my favorite game of the year.

So much replay value as well, and I'm enjoying going through 1 level at a time unlocking it all before moving on.

Keir_Eidos said:
More w00tness:

Hell fucking yes!

2ljsume.gif

Keir_Eidos

Eidos Loves You
krae_man said:
Are you gonna fix the trophy bug when the co-op patch for PS3 comes?

Yep, I've been told that's going to be fixed in a forthcoming patch. You heard it here first.

Princess Skittles said:
How does the DLC work, are the new levels added on to the main game or are they accessed from a separate menu?

Also, could you possibly shed some light on the new characters DLC, dates (estimates) and what characters? Will they be simply new skins/models or will they have unique play mechanics?

The new levels are completely additional, so once you've got the title update a new menu box will appear and you can access the DLC from there.

Can't shed any more info on the DLC right now, but we'll be releasing more details along with screenshots in the not too distant future.

I cannot find the DLC. I just loaded up the game and got the update but when I go into Download Content, there is no content listed.

Generally by this time of night (11pm here in Brisbane, Aust atm) all dlc that is meant to be up that day is up.

I cant see it on the Marketplace either. Either it isnt out yet, or it is and I am blind or Australia got shafted :p

So... the PS3 and PC versions were supposed to come out with co-op right away, it didn't happen... and now the 360 is getting first and PC/PS3 owners have to wait :/

Bleh

FrankT

Samurai Penguin said:
I cannot find the DLC. I just loaded up the game and got the update but when I go into Download Content, there is no content listed.

Generally by this time of night (11pm here in Brisbane, Aust atm) all dlc that is meant to be up that day is up.

I cant see it on the Marketplace either. Either it isnt out yet, or it is and I am blind or Australia got shafted :p

Not seeing it either.

I really don't care for online co-op at all (anymore) and it probably won't even translate into sales since they missed their opportunity by a HUGE margin.

I just want some DLC for the PS3. Maybe next year then?

Angst said:
Awesome game.

Horrible DLC and patch support.
Horrible DLC support? The game has only been out for 2 months.

Now, adding online co-op did take 1 month longer than it should have, but at least we're getting it. If we had gotten online co-op a month ago and it had been a glitchy mess, people would complain even more. Hopefully the extra month was so that they could get rid of all glitches and make decent net code.

EDIT: The DLC is up on the marketplace now.

AndyMoogle said:

Now, adding online co-op did take 1 month longer than it should have, but at least we're getting it. If we had gotten online co-op a month ago and it had been a glitchy mess, people would complain even more. Hopefully the extra month was so that they could get rid of all glitches and make decent net code.

Oh boy, it's available on PC?!!!

Angst

AndyMoogle said:

Adding coop for one platform and ignoring the other two? Good job.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Keir_Eidos said:
I don't make the calls on exclusivity, but what I can do is pass on feedback to the people that do, so your voice is heard

So, how about that DLC for Underworld that added to the story, hmmm?

You know, the DLC that is apparently significant enough that the 360 playerbase recommends us PC/PS3 owners of Underworld go Youtube it?

Hmmm?

Yeah, that's what I thought. CD doesn't give a shit about us PC/PS3 owners for this series. :|

Top Bottom