• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light |OT| - Play This GOTY Contender

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheSeks said:
So, how about that DLC for Underworld that added to the story, hmmm?

You know, the DLC that is apparently significant enough that the 360 playerbase recommends us PC/PS3 owners of Underworld go Youtube it?

Hmmm?

Yeah, that's what I thought. CD doesn't give a shit about us PC/PS3 owners for this series. :|
I'm still waiting for MS moneyhat exclusivity on that stuff to end so that they can put it on Steam or something :(

Fucking MS. I want to play the pretty version of the game but I don't get the DLC.

CeePhour

Banned
First off, I've never been a Tomb Raider person. The only one I've ever liked was Legend.
Checked out the demo on 360, loved it. Waited patiently for superior PC release.
Turns out this is one of the most fun games I've played all year.

Missing online co-op something fierce ONLY because the leaderboards can be exploited. The fun in this kind of game (to me) seems to be striving for the better time, higher score, or perfect run. On the PC leaderboards you can can clearly see that some people have taken hours out of their day to run through a level, die at the end (losing only a few points), and run back through the entire level, killing everything and collecting gems, dying again, and repeating the process. The rest of the world is competing in the 500,000 point range, and one or two guys are in the 5 million point range. It's just stupid.

This is what kills replayability in these types of games (we're not playing this for the story, are we?)... the same thing happened to WotB: Commando 3 - infinite enemy spawn, people camp in a corner somewhere and rake in points.

The scoring system should have been some intricate combination involving how long it took to complete the level, mixed with damage taken, and points collected.

All in all, bravo, Crystal Dynamics! I hope to support this by buying DLC and praying for a sequel.

Angst said:
Adding coop for one platform and ignoring the other two? Good job.
That's exclusivity for you. It's bullshit, but it has happened many times before this generation, and it will happen again. We all knew beforehand that the 360 version was getting everything first, so it's not like it's a surprise.

Though that really should only be for DLC. I can't see it being vastly different to add online co-op in the 360 version compared to the PS3/PC versions. Would seem to me that this is part of the whole 360 timed exclusive deal they've got going; or it's because 360 owners have been waiting longer for it, so they wanted to get that out of the way first.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
CeePhour said:
This is what kills replayability in these types of games (we're not playing this for the story, are we?)... the same thing happened to WotB: Commando 3 - infinite enemy spawn, people camp in a corner somewhere and rake in points.
I don't recall a single level that had infinite enemy spawn. The crazy scores are hacked scores.

Peff

Last level is pretty intense! That's going to be fun to speedrun. The levels are short and each one is focused on something different (battle, timing puzzles, speedrunning...). I haven't tried the co-op version yet but there is some stuff that could be really evil there :D Looking forward to the other packs.

Yeah, I bet the online mode for the other platforms is finished as well. The deal with MS is still on and the publisher just pushes it a bit forward. I can understand that, but they should just be upfront with it.

CeePhour

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I don't recall a single level that had infinite enemy spawn. The crazy scores are hacked scores.

I knew this would be misinterpreted, even after I explained it. The infinite spawn was for Commandos 3, the GoL scores I suspect are people playing the level through multiple times as I described. I suppose yes, they could be 'hacked', but I'm fairly certain they can be "legitimately" achieved by replaying the level by dying and running through the whole thing again and again and again.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
CeePhour said:
I knew this would be misinterpreted, even after I explained it. The infinite spawn was for Commandos 3, the GoL scores I suspect are people playing the level through multiple times as I described. I suppose yes, they could be 'hacked', but I'm fairly certain they can be "legitimately" achieved by replaying the level by dying and running through the whole thing again and again and again.
Wait, you can just die at the end and maintain the score from that run into the next full attempt?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Princess Skittles said:
That does seems like a poor design choice. :\
It doesn't make sense though. I don't remember that ever happening when I have done something along those lines. When I restarted the level my score was reset.

Peff

Restarting the level also restarts the score, and whenever Lara dies you lose points (3.000 if I remember correctly). I suppose you could get to an area with spawning enemies that give over 3.000 and then let one of the last ones kill you, but I refuse to believe someone actually does that :-/

CeePhour

Banned
No, you don't restart the level.

If Point A is the beginning of the level. And Point B is the end of the level.
Lets say you gain 100,000 going between the points.
But you lose X points when you die (3000?), but the enemies respawn.
You have unlimited lives.
Start at Point A, go to Point B and throw yourself off a cliff just before the end.
Now, go from Point B to Point A, killing the enemies again, and throw yourself off a cliff before the /beginning/.
Now go from Point A to Point B...

I haven't actually tested this, but I could have sworn that enemies (some, maybe not all?) respawn when you die.

EDIT: Not sure how many points you lose when you die, above post says 3000. That's more accurate than any guess I had.

Booshka

The auto saves make it so you cannot do the whole level over and keep adding on to your score. You may be able to do that for specific areas and grind for points, but I don't think it is possible to do it the way you are saying with the whole level. You lose 5000 when you die, and you also lose all of your Relic Meter and have to rebuild it. So the grind could be ridiculous.

I am ranked 61 on the Overall Score's Leaderboard on 360. I've only done it by collecting every gem, having my Relic meter maxed throughout the whole level (don't get hit) and trying to kill every enemy possible. Most of the scores are legit up until the top, and the only differences could probably be some generous gem drops from killing enemies.

Korey

Anyone know if the co-op patch also introduced voice chat? My co-op buddy has the live preview so we can't use party chat.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So if I'm playing this on PC is it better as a mouse/keyboard game or a 360 pad game?

Fitz

Htown said:
So if I'm playing this on PC is it better as a mouse/keyboard game or a 360 pad game?

I'm usually a Mouse + Keyboard gamer, however I prefer using a 360 controller for this game. They way I see it is you can either have slightly more accurate aiming with a mouse especially at long range, or slightly more accurate movement using an analogue stick. I guess it's down to personal preference but being limited to 8 movement directions with a keyboard got on my nerves, and I had no troubles hitting targets accurately with an analogue stick anyway.

Mr_Zombie

Colkate said:
I guess it's down to personal preference but being limited to 8 movement directions with a keyboard got on my nerves,
I agree with that. There's a challenge in the first level (jump on 7 poles without touching a ground) and even though I've tried many times, using keyboard I fail every time :(

I bought 2100 points yesterday and ran out of enough to buy this (curse you PB Winterbottom and Alan Wake DLC). Guess I'll have to get more, especially now that online coop is out.

Greg

Are the leaderboards broken on PS3? Nothing shows up for me.

Just did my first attempt on the 15-minute speedrun on Stronghold Passage and got 8:55 - I lost about 15 seconds dying on the first wave of fire platforms at the end, but I can't see myself doing any other portion of it faster.

unomas

Banned
Sectus said:
Any impressions on the online coop? Does it have any form of input lag?

I'm trying to play on the 360 right now, but there is nobody else online, or if they are they're already matched up with someone else.

krae_man

Okay so now the trophies are working for me, but the healing areas or whatever are not. I walk up to them and nothing happens. Health pack work, but hot the healing areas.

Sectus

unomas said:
I'm trying to play on the 360 right now, but there is nobody else online, or if they are they're already matched up with someone else.
I went ahead and just bought it. It was hard finding anyone to play with, but I was able to find someone in the end. There's no input lag for either player so that's very good. On the bad side, I got some kind of weird scripting or desync error and one player was unable to move past an open door. Restart checkpoint didn't work so I just quit at that point.

Now I'm just looking for a friend I can play the game start to finish with.

unomas

Banned
Sectus said:
I went ahead and just bought it. It was hard finding anyone to play with, but I was able to find someone in the end. There's no input lag for either player so that's very good. On the bad side, I got some kind of weird scripting or desync error and one player was unable to move past an open door. Restart checkpoint didn't work so I just quit at that point.

Now I'm just looking for a friend I can play the game start to finish with.

I was able to find a few people to play with yesterday, and there was no noticeable lag which is great. I really enjoyed the co-op minus people quitting out and having no mics. I only ran into one person using a mic, and that was a little tough considering it's a co-op based game.

TripOpt55

I finally got to try this co-op (actually did it locally on PS3). It's cool how the puzzles are like a new challenge compared to singleplayer. Very neat. Looking forward to playing some more of it co-op.

Cels

krae_man said:
Okay so now the trophies are working for me, but the healing areas or whatever are not. I walk up to them and nothing happens. Health pack work, but hot the healing areas.

Those healing fountains are limited -- maybe you tried them after they already ran out?

krae_man

Cels said:
Those healing fountains are limited -- maybe you tried them after they already ran out?

No I was using it for the first time and it didn't work. Played the game again today and didn't encounter any issues. Got the kill 3 enemies with a bomb and mousetrap trophies and the healing fountains worked fine so I don't know. Games's just randomly buggy or something I guess.

Carm

Has anyone mysteriously lost their save on the PC version? I was playing last night and everything was fine, wake up today and my progress is gone, even the progress I made when I first purchased it.

Update: If you lost your save today, this Valve post explains how to get it back. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18291098&postcount=13

Your save data is NOT lost, but the client is looking in the wrong place for it.

Your save file is located here: c:\program files\steam\userdata\<your user id>\35130\remote\autosave.lcgolsave

It needs to be located here: c:\program files\steam\userdata\<your user id>\35150\remote\autosave.lcgolsave

That is, the data is located in the folder "35130" but should be in the folder "35150" under "c:\program files\steam\userdata\".

Simply copying the file over likely not work as Steam Cloud now has the wrong file and will download a new file.

1. Make a backup copy of both folders..
2. From the Steam menu, choose "Go Offline" to put Steam in offline mode.
3. After Steam restarts in offline mode, choose "Exit" from the same "Steam" menu to shut down Steam completely.
4. Copy the save file from the 35130 folder into the 35150 folder.
5. Run Steam again. If it asks you to "Go Online" or "Start in Offline Mode", choose "Start in Offline Mode". This is critical, you must stay in Offline Mode for this to work.
6. Launch Lara Croft. Verify that you see your progress, and save your game.
7. Close Lara Croft.
8. Go to your Steam window and select "Go Online" from the "Steam" menu item at the top-left.
9. Run Lara Croft, verify that everything is still fine.

Please report back as to whether or not this solves the issue for you.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
They keep saying online co-op is coming, but no word when the patch will actually release.

Cels

Rewrite said:
They keep saying online co-op is coming, but no word when the patch will actually release.

Here is a timeline for everyone's enlightenment:

August 18 -- Release on XBLA without online co-op. However, the game's page on Xbox.com lists online co-op as one of the game's features.
September 28 -- Release on PSN, Steam without online co-op. Original planned release date for 360 online co-op. Crystal Dynamics misses this date. No official, public word from anyone from Eidos or Crystal Dynamics about the delay beforehand.
October 20 -- Eidos and Crystal Dynamics announce that online co-op for 360 is finally coming next week as well as a free DLC pack as an apology for the delay. No set date for PSN or Steam online co-op.
October 27 -- 360 gets online co-op, seventy days after original release. DLC pack #1, "All The Trappings", arrives as well, free for 30 days.
November 11, present -- Still no set date for when PSN and Steam versions will be getting online co-op or the free DLC pack -- "soon" and "in the not too distant future" are the only descriptions offered. Assuming a seventy-day delay between release of the game and release of the co-op patch, which is what happened on the 360, PSN and Steam gamers should expect online co-op around January 5, 2011.

snap0212

You forgot to mention that they promised online co-op to be available on PS3 and PC the day these versions come out. Definitely the last Eidos/Crystal Dynamics game for me and I'll try my best to make sure that no one else I know buys their games either.

Eccocid

i stopped playing on ps3 after first 5 levels i think. No buddy for couch co-op and game looks more fun when played co-op :( If i knew they gonna delay it this much i wouldnt buy it.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Metalmurphy said:
Has there been any news on the co-op patch for PS3/PC?
Did you read Cels' post?

I still love the game. One of the best downloadable titles of the year for sure, but I don't like this whole "patch details coming soon" stance going around with no actual news on when it's coming.

Rewrite said:
Did you read Cels' post?

I still love the game. One of the best downloadable titles of the year for sure, but I don't like this whole "details coming soon" stance going around.

Ooops, missed that.

Bebpo

Banned
I just played through this on PC over the last 2 days and this game was very, very good.

First of all the graphics were amazing on the PC version. Everything looked so nice and the animation was great. I was talking to duckroll about the visuals and brought up that they should take this engine or at least this style of engine and do a wrpg. A modern day Planescape or Balders Gate that looked like this would be incredible. The graphics in this sure blow the heck off Dragon Age isometric view.

Anyhow as for the actual game, I loved how tightly paced it was. The game was a constant mix of action, platforming, puzzles and nothing ever overstayed its welcome. You just kept moving and kept enjoying yourself along the way. The combat was even pretty nice! Especially towards the end when you have crazy weapons and relics and are a walking tank. If I had a complaint it would be that there's a few too many "LAUNCH THE BALL INTO THE HOLE" physics puzzles and I never really enjoyed the physics based puzzles in this.

And man, all that replayability. The challenges made areas more exciting, especially since instead of stupid achievement points you got USEFUL LOOT. See, it's like the old days where accomplishing tough things gets you fun toys to play with :) And all the weapons and other collectables made it so you could take your time and explore or run through and blast everything in your way.

I think the only places I found it lacking compared to other TR games was the story. Not that I really need story in my games, but the TR series always had fun plots, so more characters and stuff would've been nice. If they did a sequel it'd be neat if they took you across the world to different locations like a normal TR game, just with this perspective and gameplay. Also I found it pretty lol how if you play it 1p it's like the aztec looking buddy guy doesn't even exist. He shows up in the intro and then the ending and a couple times in the middle to shout a line, but it's like he's written out of the story completely :lol But hey, if the other way of incorporating him in would have meant crappy forced AI character RE5 style, then I'm darn glad they did it the way they did.

So yeah, overall I felt the game is severely underpriced at $15. It really doesn't seem on the same level as XBLA/PSN titles. Visually and gameplay-wise it feels like a full retail title, just much much shorter. As it stands, definitely one of the best downloadble games this gen. I hope it sold enough to finance a sequel.

PS. This engine is insanely good on PC. It runs super super smooth 60fps while looking top-notch even on not the highest end PCs. Glad to hear Deus Ex 3 is using it and hope more and more games use it. It's really nice.

NinjaBoiX

Has this been patched with online co-op on PSN yet? What about the free DLC? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Sorry guys, just read cels post.

PantherAttacks said:
It's frustrating to have a whole game designed for co-op and then there's no online option.
I had a lot of fun with the single player, still waiting on the free DLC though (PC).

Top Bottom