• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends Championship Series: Season 5

Well it finally happened.

Team 8th
Cloud 9th
photo.jpg

TomShoe

Banned
Wow, Cloud 9. How are they getting shit on by Nien of all people? He's barely LCS level and even worse than maplestreet!

Damn, I bought tickets for NA finals and It looks like none of the teams I care about are going to make it. I knew c9 was having a rought time, but wow...

Arrage

Banned
Wow, Cloud 9. How are they getting shit on by Nien of all people? He's barely LCS level and even worse than maplestreet!

Nien is good. T8 support isn't.

C9 top and support should just retire. Also getting proper support staff and a LoL coach would help. Maybe Meteos jumped out of the sinking ship because of the fairly big chance of an auto relegation.

Maybe they can still beat TDK and avoid auto relegation guys

I'm interested to see which of the two teams gets more disheartened.

Obviously, C9 is in miserable shape, spiritually as well as in terms of performance. TDK's got to be in pretty dire straits, too, though; the whole point of this for most of the players on that team was to punch a ticket to Worlds, and they're looking at a situation where instead they're in very real danger of being deported back to a region where they might not even be able to make a team.

The realest sadness on display. Almost a shame they don't have another head-to-head game to really bring the narrative together.

Opiate

I don't really have any worries about c9 in the long term simply because the organization is so well run and player satisfaction seems high. It's one of those teams that other players want to play for.

Doesn't help them right now, though. It's a testament to how important shot calling is that c9 could fall so dramatically from the substitution of a single player who was widely considered one of their weaker players (on personal ability alone, sans shot calling).

And word is already that Meteos wants to stay with Cloud 9. What that entails is not clear.

Almost a shame they don't have another head-to-head game to really bring the narrative together.

Week 9, day one. C9 vs. TDK.

With C9 all but guaranteed to miss playoffs after going 0-2 this week, this split's winners and runners-up are both likely to go to Worlds. The only way the runners-up wouldn't have enough points to qualify directly would be if Team Liquid came 3rd, in which case they'd go.

Qualification for the gauntlet tournament to decide the 3rd spot is going to be really interesting during playoffs. C9 may well end up making it in at the expense of a beaten quarter-finalist thanks to their runners-up finish in Spring.

Week 9, day one. C9 vs. TDK.

With C9 all but guaranteed to miss playoffs after going 0-2 this week, this split's winners and runners-up are both likely to go to Worlds. The only way the runners-up wouldn't have enough points to qualify directly would be if Team Liquid came 3rd, in which case they'd go.

Qualification for the gauntlet tournament to decide the 3rd spot is going to be really interesting during playoffs. C9 may well end up making it in at the expense of a beaten quarter-finalist thanks to their runners-up finish in Spring.

Actually, unless TSM comes in 1st place (and thus takes the automatic spot), there's very little chance of anyone else qualifying through on points. If TSM finishes at 5th or 6th then C9 can beat them with a 2nd or 3rd place finish (this is obviously very unlikely), or CLG can beat them with a 2nd place finish. If TSM finishes in 4th place or higher, then only C9 could beat them on points, and only by finishing in 2nd.

The more interesting situation actually occurs if TSM finishes 1st, because then there's actually a wide variety of circumstances where different teams can manage to qualify. At the moment, though, Dignitas, Impulse, Gravity, and Liquid basically need to finish 1st place to get one of those guaranteed slots; the Vegas odds are you're going to see all four of them competing in the NA Regional Qualifier, possibly with C9 taking one of those spots.

If I were to bet: TSM qualifies via 1st place automatic finish, CLG qualifies in the 2nd spot via points, and the Regional Qualifier comes down to C9, Impulse, Liquid, and Gravity. Dignitas is the odd man out. (Along with, obviously, NME/T8/TDK.) I could see Liquid or Impulse upsetting CLG to take the 2nd spot, though, and obviously if TSM fails to secure 1st it becomes whoever does take it, with TSM taking the 2nd slot via points.

As far as who would win Regionals out of those four teams if they played today... hell if I know. Those teams all show an amazing lack of consistency amongst one another, though obviously C9 looks unlikely to take a Best of 5 off any of them at the moment. I suppose I'd have to give it to Impulse, personally, though a strong argument could be made for Liquid or Gravity.

True enough. I assume TSM are locked in to Worlds automatically, as they've always made it in the past, and it would take a massive throw for them not to get the most Championship Points with their nearest rivals already out of the running (C9). The possibilities multiply many times if they don't. But if you assume TSM will make it automatically, and that C9 won't pull off a miraculous turn around, there are relatively few scenarios where both Summer Split finalists don't go to Worlds - mostly where Team Liquid come 3rd, or where it's Dignitas, who hold 0 Championship Points currently, who come 2nd.

Edit: Ah, I see what you mean now. If TSM lose before the final, everything gets more complicated and there's a number of scenarios where a team could slip past them, or make the final and not beat their total. So in a way it's in the interests of all the chasing teams to try to make sure TSM doesn't get a playoff bye so their path is as hard as possible.

Leezard

The latest rumors on C9 logic gaming is that Meteos will switch to support. Apparently he transferred his eu account to NA and duo queued support with sneaky.

Sources are some reddit detective work.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The latest rumors on C9 logic gaming is that Meteos will switch to support. Apparently he transferred his eu account to NA and duo queued support with sneaky.

Sources are some reddit detective work.

Is Hai an awful support or something? Why not just move him there and keep Meteos where he's been for so long?

Leezard

Is Hai an awful support or something? Why not just move him there and keep Meteos where he's been for so long?
No clue.

My guess would be that they are looking at a shotcalling jungler that is not Hai, since Hai still has wrist problems. I don't think Hai is a long term solution.

That said, this is only a rumor so far, we'll have to take it with a pinch of salt.

TomShoe

Banned
NA CS is on in 10 minutes. I expect this to be a one-sided night. Here's hoping the big Winterfox vs. Vortex showdown next week doesn't disappoint.

Edwardo

EU LCS - Week 7 - Day 1

t1436457600z1.png

Copenhagen Wolves vs Unicorns of Love
Roccat vs Elements
Origen vs Giants Gaming
H2K vs Fnatic
SK Gaming vs Gambit Gaming

TomShoe

Banned
Freeze is probably sitting back in his chair thinking about how many offers he's going to get when CW get auto-relegated.

kaSing, you know what might not be a great idea? Using an ability that puts you on the wrong side of Alistar while he still has both Headbutt and Pulverize available. This is a lesson that every Yasuo player had to learn at some point, I guess it's Support Shen's turn to figure it out.

Makareu

"Reignover committed sudoku" ... That analyst desk is something.
Disappointed in H2K, they were so passive with that lead. Impressed with Fnatic, they were very composed with that deficit.

garath

Wowowow. What a terrible top lane gank from SK. Not only did fredy miss an entire wave of CS (including the cannon), they gave up first blood.

That Fnatic/H2K game was probably the best demonstration possible of how far ahead Fnatic are of them. Not only did H2K get two kills on their top laner as a head start, they got Reignover to throw in his worst performance of the season, and Fnatic's first two efforts at making a comeback either backfired (top lane gank with Rengar's first ult) or completely whiffed and wasted resources (the bot lane dive with Huni's TP and Reignover's ult). Even their next attempts only lead to some chip damage on H2K's mid tower. So H2K had a ~4k lead at 21 minutes and map control, but couldn't leverage their advantage at all, were clean aced thanks to Loulex getting caught by Yellowstar, Febiven cutting off Ryu trying to help, and Huni not only landing an instant-reaction max range Equalizer, but quickly cutting off Hjarnan and Kasing, and were soon closed on.

I don't think Origen will be so toothless with a lead if they get one tomorrow, but Fnatic surely won't be handing out free kills before minions spawn again.

Fracas

#fuckonami
While this was one of their weaker games, I'm geniunely curious how fnatic could do at worlds. Super impressive split.

Top Bottom