• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends Championship Series: Season 5

Blizzard

Banned
They'll probably cut into the bonus health scaling and bump up the base values a bit, to make him less powerful as a top laner and more viable as a support.

I assume it mostly snuck through as-is because he's slightly underwhelming as a support, and people weren't testing him top lane extensively.
I feel like it's because Tahm has very little to offer otherwise. Q can be blocked by anything, and is single target. If devour is used offensively, it can range from saving an enemy to preventing an ally from being saved. As a tank there's not even a reason to attack him unless he's somehow dealing damage or getting enough point blank stuns to be a problem...and even those stuns are limited to one every several seconds, right?

I didn't watch the game though, so I don't know what items he got and whether he could have dealt significant damage if the other team ignored him.

Oh, if MSI had never happened, I'd be much more sceptical of their strength. But it did, and they've got stronger since then. You have to give credit to the first western team to take two games off a Korean team in a best of 5 since CLG.eu (in September 2012, against Azubu Frost).

I just hope they get to face Chinese and Korean teams who aren't EDG or SKT at Worlds. Worst case scenario would be them winning a group against, like, CLG, Flash Wolves & a wildcard, beating AHQ in the QFs, then getting 3-1'd by EDG/SKT.

clemenx

Banned
Representative statement. There's plenty of talk about how Fnatic is "the best team the west has ever seen" without having won a single international event. Pretty fair to say they're getting full-ride lip service at the moment, chief.

It's like when people were billing Cloud 9 as the Great White Hope because they showed up and stomped on the broken old husks of Reginald-era TSM, Scarra-era Dig, and Hotshot-era CLG. The only thing that can definitively said about Fnatic at the moment is that they're not as bad as the rest of the teams in Europe.

Well, that's the flaw about competitive Lol at the moment. Not many international tournaments. We kinda have to make judgements on the blind when comparing between regions. Even if they do meet it's 5 games at most and that's not a good sample size either.

While I love the weekly leagues and see them religiously I think they must cram more international tourneys with 3rd party organizers. IEMs are not enough.

Apparently whatever suspension XWX might get won't matter; seems TiP has already kicked him out of the team house, so I guess he's gone.

And judging from a few things said last night, apparently Rush did not like him at all.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Crazy to see if true. One of NA's best mid laners. Shame to see him go out like that

On the other hand, wtf was he thinking

TomShoe

Banned
Looks like CW is quickly falling apart. Shook is already gone. I expect Soren and Freeze to be picked up in short order. My best guess for CW is that either Lenny and Kaas stay on and they recruit some SoloQ players, or they pick up an existing quintet as their new team. I'm doubtful they'll make it back, but that's what I said about Coast before their performance this split.

Apparently whatever suspension XWX might get won't matter; seems TiP has already kicked him out of the team house, so I guess he's gone.

And judging from a few things said last night, apparently Rush did not like him at all.

Well that sucks. It's a shame too, I was seriously becoming a TiP fan due to their aggressive play style. Looks like the Gravity game is going to be a stomp since Gate is the new mid, and I have no clue who's going to support. If he gets suspended for a year or more, might as well start elo-boosting full time or go into coaching, because I'm not sure how well his skills are going to hold up, or if any LCS team will recruit him.

I don't get why a famous pro would resort to boosting, just fucking stream

I believe he got paid up to $1400 just for one boost. If you grind an account for 2 or 3 days to get it to Master, that's some serious dough. I don't think streaming can top that kind of revenue, unless you're someone huge like Nightblue or QT.

I believe he got paid up to $1400 just for one boost. If you grind an account for 2 or 3 days to get it to Master, that's some serious dough. I don't think streaming can top that kind of revenue, unless you're someone huge like Nightblue or QT.
Sure, not on a short term basis

And specially not on fucking Azubu

TomShoe

Banned
Sure, not on a short term basis

And specially not on fucking Azubu

$1400 from a single boost is 18% of their salary for an entire split. You significantly overestimate what these players are getting. If it weren't for teams covering living expenses, they certainly couldn't afford to live in LA.

$1400 from a single boost is 18% of their salary for an entire split. You significantly overestimate what these players are getting. If it weren't for teams covering living expenses, they certainly couldn't afford to live in LA.

Isn't that $7800ish? I thought it was a rule they get $12500 a split for starters.

I mean, it's 18% of their official salary, but most of these players should be getting considerable benefits from the team organization.

At a bare minimum their room and board and other relevant living expenses (including internet and PC costs) should be completely covered, probably most of their food budget as well. The better managed teams (TSM, CLG, etc.) probably also cut the players in to a considerable amount of the brand (website revenue, merchandising, etc.) and stream share budgets.

That's part of why the Korean players got pissed and started demanding huge salaries. They realized they were getting shafted pretty hard in terms of secondary benefits.

I'm glad I put CLG on my fantasy team. That was a pretty clean game. They took some risky fights but they weren't in any real danger of losing. Even if the fight went south, they still were able to get objectives off of them.

Even though Rush was more noticeable, I think Impact was at least as important. So many good ults on Rush when he got too deep and excellent taunts during the teamfights. Managing to maintain a large edge in lane with such a defensive build isn't easy either. Adrian was superb too - crazy to think he doubts he's good enough for the LCS.

So who is the highest paid LoL player? Faker?
In NA it's probably Bjerg, but it doesn't come close to China / Korean guys

China is silly when it comes to salaries
Faker is probably well compensated in the Korean league, but his Korean fellows in China are probably ballin'

Faker stayed in Korea because he has integrity for his country. Turned down huge salaries from Chinese teams.
He turned down a contract worth a million or something, wasn't it?

So who is the highest paid LoL player? Faker?

Pretty sure that, as was said, the players who went to China made out better. That said, if Faker takes another championship, he's probably going to win out in the end; not only will he be able to name his price, but he's going to have become a "brand" in and of himself and probably be able to pull personal sponsorships wherever he goes, irrespective of his team.

I really can't believe NME gave TSM this composition after last week's TSM/Dig game. Their team is slightly better than Dig's was at engaging, but not enough so to deal with this much disengage.

I'm gonna guess TIP, CLG, and TL go to worlds from NA.

That is extremely unlikely, considering TSM has the Spring split 1st place and an extremely high chance of placing 4th or higher. Unfortunately, C9 was the 2nd place finisher in the last split (and thus the ones most able to challenge them on championship points), but we know how that turned out.

The reason this matters is because Impulse, for example, only has 30 CP to TSM's 90 (and CLG a measly 10), meaning these teams almost have to get 1st to qualify. You basically need for TSM to come in 5th place or lower for them not to qualify, and if they have a first round bye...

That said, all of those teams can potentially make it, just that specific combination is absurdly unlikely.

clemenx

Banned
Eh I actually see this split as improving for NA. TSM dominated 2 fucking splits without ever doing anything close to dominant or special play and now their bullshit doesn't work.

Lol NME.

That is extremely unlikely, considering TSM has the Spring split 1st place and an extremely high chance of placing 4th or higher. Unfortunately, C9 was the 2nd place finisher in the last split (and thus the ones most able to challenge them on championship points), but we know how that turned out.

The reason this matters is because Impulse, for example, only has 30 CP to TSM's 90 (and CLG a measly 10), meaning these teams almost have to get 1st to qualify. You basically need for TSM to come in 5th place or lower for them not to qualify, and if they have a first round bye...

That said, all of those teams can potentially make it, just that specific combination is absurdly unlikely.

You are right, I think they almost have an automatic entry unless TIP or TL gets 2nd this split and TSM ends in 5th/6th (which is possible to me).

Top Bottom