• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends Championship Series: Season 5

Anyone else tuning in here after being freshly exposed to competitive esports because of Ti5? :)

Just wanted to say impressions off the bat is that actions seems way more muted than DOTA...but that might just be because of the kinda slower pace and less flashy graphics of LoL compared to DOTA.

League is about big team fights, clear role match ups, gank set ups, objective play, and organized strategy.

It will seem slower because League builds up to big moments rather than the constant skirmishing of DotA 2. I find it too hard to follow what's going on in DotA 2 because you just see skills going all over the place and you can never figure out what the teams are trying to do other than get kills.

Well in comparing team fights for one thing. In DOTA i see more crazy plays with heroes teleporting, dodging, scrambling. In what I have seen from LoL these things happen too, but fights tend to be over much quicker or have less moving parts. I do think the art style makes things a little easier to follow though.

Spells are more spammable in League so the fights are typically much, much longer. TP is relegated to a summoner spell, so it has an insanely long cool down, there is nothing like the scrolls in DOTA or the boots that give you the ability.

Most of League's fights have to be prepped for at least a minute before hand with vision control and side lane wave management. There are a lot of map wide elements that have to be taken into account before any fights break out.

Well in comparing team fights for one thing. In DOTA i see more crazy plays with heroes teleporting, dodging, scrambling. In what I have seen from LoL these things happen too, but fights tend to be over much quicker or have less moving parts. I do think the art style makes things a little easier to follow though.

LoL has moved away from heavy lockdown and super-mobile champions (Kassadin...) over the years so teamfights tend to be more grouped up and CC needs to be chained to get easy pickoffs. Roles are also more clearly defined - the AD carry is always ranged, the mid laner is usually AP (though sometimes a Corki or Urgot is ran mid), and those two spots almost always do most of the damage, with the rare exception in the top lane (similar to DOTA 2's offlane) like Rumble.

The current meta is quite slow (at least in the west and in Korea, China is, as is stereotypical, much more aggro), with few games having more than 2-3 big confrontations in the laning phase, and teams designed to win big fights or force objectives after 25/30/40 minutes.

One thing that both games share is the kill score that's prominently displayed at the top of the screen often doesn't tell you much about how the game is actually going (the gold totals and towers destroyed are usually better indicators, but even they can be deceptive if you don't know how the team comps work).

Teleport is a summoner spell in LoL with a large cooldown (usually ran with Flash) that is almost always ran by top laners so they can jump to their team when needed. If it's misused it can ruin a team's game. Only certain champions like Shen, Twisted Fate, Rek'Sai and Tahm Kench can cross much of the map quickly without it.

I hope TSM drop the Olaf after this. They are lucky not to be down 0-2.

faridmon

I really don't get why mid, who are playing against another carrying mid (Yasou or victor), chose Lulu

Lulu, like Morgana will not carry game and play as a supp mid if anything!

Noshino

I really don't get why mid, who are playing against another carrying mid (Yasou or victor), chose Lulu

Lulu, like Morgana will not carry game and play as a supp mid if anything!

2 things

- Keane isnt a carry mid
- Lulu can carry games, the latest example Pawn yesterday against M3

Olaf is a much better pick in this game. Gravity needs to be the ones making plays with the Ashe arrow, looks like TSM is dictating everything so far.

Druz

I find it too hard to follow what's going on in DotA 2 because you just see skills going all over the place and you can never figure out what the teams are trying to do other than get kills.

I think that applies to any game you don't play. It's been a while since I played LoL and every match looks like purple blobs are running around with their heads cut off spamming projectiles.

Ambition

Why did Keane build double mana items? Zero fucking damage right there
KuGsj.gif

I think that applies to any game you don't play. It's been a while since I played LoL and every match looks like purple blobs are running around with their heads cut off spamming projectiles.

Yeah, I don't think you're watching League there.

Not sure how you can follow Storm Spirit and Anti-Mage or anyone with blink dagger warping everywhere with particle effects filling up the screen from ridiculously large spells and endless CC items.

patchday

Teleport is a summoner spell in LoL with a large cooldown (usually ran with Flash) that is almost always ran by top laners so they can jump to their team when needed. If it's misused it can ruin a team's game. Only certain champions like Shen, Twisted Fate, Rek'Sai and Tahm Kench can cross much of the map quickly without it.

I hope TSM drop the Olaf after this. They are lucky not to be down 0-2.

didn't know that, will have to try him out

clemenx

Banned
Yeah... when they had their good streak they used the same teamcomp like 5 games in a row. Disappointing.

I still don't see anything noteworthy from TSM. TL should handle them easily.

Yeah... when they had their good streak they used the same teamcomp like 5 games in a row. Disappointing.

I still don't see anything noteworthy from TSM. TL should handle them easily.
TSM's draft has improved greatly from the summer split and they're actually doing something with Dyrus instead of just letting him rot and hoping he can soak up enough damage with stuff like Maokai or not get 4 man ganked twice before 10 minutes with Rumble while the team lives or dies on Bjerg.

Maybe TSM would have had a shot at worlds if they were playing like this for the entire split instead of waiting till playoffs to actually show up.

TSM's draft has improved greatly from the summer split and they're actually doing something with Dyrus instead of just letting him rot and hoping he can soak up enough damage with stuff like Maokai or not get 4 man ganked twice before 10 minutes with Rumble while the team lives or dies on Bjerg.

Maybe TSM would have had a shot at worlds if they were playing like this for the entire split instead of waiting till playoffs to actually show up.

Dyrus is like some kind of bear-creature, you have to let him hibernate for nine months a season and wake him up only for the postseason. (I think a lot of it actually has to do with Dyrus responding surprisingly well to criticism and hammering out the work necessary to bring his game up and broaden his champion pool.)

Druz

Yeah, I don't think you're watching League there.

Not sure how you can follow Storm Spirit and Anti-Mage or anyone with blink dagger warping everywhere with particle effects filling up the screen from ridiculously large spells and endless CC items.

I don't know how what I said still doesn't apply. You're hilarious telling me that your purple blobs and random projectiles I'm not watching League. It's dripping with irony.

Top Bottom