• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends Championship Series: Season 5

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Average Redditor thinks Gosu is a girl.

The community is probably not going to react well when it becomes public knowledge that she's trans.

The worst part is that there is a photo album out there of uh, her provocatively posing(As well as some nearly nude shots). They're frequently posted on places like 4chan and I'm sure they've been posted on Reddit.

Unfortunately it's a perfect storm if she joins full time, the pressure would be immense.

janoDX

It doesn't surprise me that the League community isn't as open as SC2 or FGC with transgender people. It's the most popular game but the more popular it is, the more assholes on the community exist and think they're some sort of religious cult.

SC2, we have Scarlett one of the only ones who could go one on one vs Koreans, right now she's on a break until September.

FGC has freaking Ricki Ortiz who went into the transformation to a Woman in the middle of her career. And everyone respects her because she plays amazing (the only thing she's criticized is that she talks too much and says stupid crap sometimes).

Bottom tier LCS players get paid pretty shittily if all they do is play LCS.

I mean they should get more but its not terrible considering their housing is paid for by the team during the season and two splits I what like six months?

So its not mad money but for the limited amount of expenses they have and the amount of time spent playing it probably works out okay.

Bottom tier LCS players get paid pretty shittily if all they do is play LCS.

12,500 for a split is way more than I got paid in a great office job, and you're really being paid to play only 19 games.

Practice and all that is up to the team, and the team is probably paying for all living expenses.

AcridMeat

Banned
Well, paying how much exactly? If she's being paid as much as the other LCS players, then obviously she shouldn't get more.
I think it's a delicate balance. In this case I honestly believe it's in Riot's best interest to incentivize any player to want to be able to play in the LCS when given the opportunity. I think the money line has more to do with being able to put up with the shit she'll have to deal with being in the limelight. If she doesn't feel comfortable streaming because of constant bullshit online, I don't know, I think this is a pretty specific case. Her having success would do a lot for the community as a whole and I think some extra incentives to allow for that would be worth it.

I'm also not talking about marketability, but the progress in the community that it would bring.
FGC has freaking Ricki Ortiz who went into the transformation to a Woman in the middle of her career. And everyone respects her because she plays amazing (the only thing she's criticized is that she talks too much and says stupid crap sometimes).
I met Ricki a couple weeks ago, she's awesome! She won the SF4 tournament of the night using Elena though which was a bit gross. She did play Rufus so that was cool to see in a casual environment.

12,500 for a split is way more than I got paid in a great office job, and you're really being paid to play only 19 games.

Practice and all that is up to the team, and the team is probably paying for all living expenses.

If you're going 12,500 per game then yea that's a lot. That's like $650 per game, but then if you go by weeks it's really only like 1250 per week or basically ~$30 per hour. Which is really good for these kids, with no college degree. But isn't exactly killing it. You can get that slaving away at a factory/construction. The real money has always been on the streaming etc... but not all players make it in that department.

I think it's a delicate balance. In this case I honestly believe it's in Riot's best interest to incentivize any player to want to be able to play in the LCS when given the opportunity. I think the money line has more to do with being able to put up with the shit she'll have to deal with being in the limelight. If she doesn't feel comfortable streaming because of constant bullshit online, I don't know, I think this is a pretty specific case. Her having success would do a lot for the community as a whole and I think some extra incentives to allow for that would be worth it.

Sports Leagues don't pay shit to players. The team pays for everything. League isn't at that point yet, so Riot ponies up some cash for teams to appear.

If you're going 12,500 per game then yea that's a lot. That's like $650 per game, but then if you go by weeks it's really only like 1250 per week or basically ~$30 per hour. Which is really good for these kids, with no college degree. But isn't exactly killing it. You can get that slaving away at a factory/construction. The real money has always been on the streaming etc... but not all players make it in that department.

It's $650 an hour. Most games don't even go that long.

You're discounting for the fact that these kids train for 10 hours a day, 50+ hours a week. 12500 a split for spending over 200 hours a month playing a video game isn't all that great. Yeah it's playing a video game, but after a while it just becomes another job.

You're discounting for the fact that these kids train for 10 hours a day, 50+ hours a week. 12500 a split for spending over 200 hours a month playing a video game isn't all that great. Yeah it's playing a video game, but after a while it just becomes another job.

Riot isn't paying for the training. The team takes care of that.

Riot pays for appearance for games. The players could screw around for the rest of the week and Riot has no say in it.

Sports Leagues don't pay shit to players. The team pays for everything. League isn't at that point yet, so Riot ponies up some cash for teams to appear.

It's $650 an hour. Most games don't even go that long.

Again you're only counting the game and not the entire week of preparing/practicing for the game. And yes I know each player have their own individual contracts with their team + Riot's money. But a lot of the smaller teams aren't exactly paying much in that department. I know when Team MRN was around Marn would take the 12,500 and use that money to disburse for players so actually those guys didn't even have side money from the organization (which would of been Marn).

Now of course that was the very first LCS split, and now Riot gives out the money themselves so there is no shady business, but not every team is CLG, C9, TL or TSM where they have money coming in from sponsorships. The lower unknown teams like TDK, T8, GV, and NME probably isn't contributing much if any more on top of Riot's $12,500 (per player).

Riot isn't paying for the training. The team takes care of that.

Riot pays for appearance for games. The players could screw around for the rest of the week and Riot has no say in it.

And what are the numbers on that? Again like I said with Team MRN they didn't even take care of that. They use Riot money for that but I know that was the first split so things might be different now, but I highly doubt it's that much different. Teams like TSM, CLG, C9, and TL might take care of their players well in that department but the lower teams? Good luck man...

Again you're only counting the game and not the entire week of preparing/practicing for the game. And yes I know each player have their own individual contracts with their team + Riot's money. But a lot of the smaller teams aren't exactly paying much in that department. I know when Team MRN was around Marn would take the 12,500 and use that money to disburse for players so actually those guys didn't even have side money from the organization (which would of been Marn).

Now of course that was the very first LCS split, and now Riot gives out the money themselves so there is no shady business, but not every team is CLG, C9, TL or TSM where they have money coming in from sponsorships. The lower unknown teams like TDK, T8, GV, and NME probably isn't contributing much if any more on top of Riot's $12,500 (per player).

So what? Why is it Riot's problem?

Why is Remilia saying she needs to get paid more by Riot?

Players practice 10+ hours a day, almost every day.

Going "well all that counts is the games" is super disingenuous.

You're paid what you work for. You're only working when you're playing games for Riot. How hard is it to understand that?

Einbroch

Banned
So what? Why is it Riot's problem?

Why is Remilia saying she needs to get paid more by Riot?

You're paid what you work for. You're only working when you're playing games for Riot. How hard is it to understand that?

It's a salary. You're paid X amount in a time period, not per hour. How hard is it to understand that?

If I'm a teacher and I get paid a salary and I have to take a 20 hour class, I'm not being paid $30/hour to take the class. I have to grade papers tonight, so I guess I'm being paid $30/hour to grade them. No, that's not how it works. I'm being paid for my work in a year, all encompassing. That's like saying basketball players make $7000/hour, when they have practice, workouts, and other game related activities every day.

No one's saying it's Riot's problem, we're saying that if you go "lol you make $650 an hour why are you complaining" you're being ridiculously misleading.

AcridMeat

Banned
It's Riot's problem if viewership goes down the drain because fans see how shitty their players are being treated and the games aren't competitive.
Thanks for backing up my point that Riot are the ones incentivizing teams and players to play.

Elfstruck

I have absolutely zero faith in this community to be mature about this situation and do somewhat agree with you since she seems kinda emotionally fragile. People, even on Reddit, just tear into these pros hard.

She doesn't need to read or care about reddit at all.

It's a salary. You're paid X amount in a time period, not per hour. How hard is it to understand that?

If I'm a teacher and I get paid a salary and I have to take a 20 hour class, I'm not being paid $30/hour to take the class. I have to grade papers tonight, so I guess I'm being paid $30/hour to grade them. No, that's not how it works. I'm being paid for my work in a year, all encompassing. That's like saying basketball players make $7000/hour, when they have practice, workouts, and other game related activities every day.

No one's saying it's Riot's problem, we're saying that if you go "lol you make $650 an hour why are you complaining" you're being ridiculously misleading.

Riot isn't paying the salary! The team is!

To Riot, they are paying players $12,500 a split. I am completely correct when I say they are being paid $650 per game duration (19 game split).

Who knows how much players actually make for practices and team stuff. You go ask the teams that.

It's Riot's problem if viewership goes down the drain because fans see how shitty their players are being treated and the games aren't competitive.
Thanks for backing up my point that Riot are the ones incentivizing teams and players to play.

Riot is already spending millions of dollars for leagues around the world. They give a ton of incentive.

This $12,500 compensation is even more than the richest footballer gets from their league (they get $0). Riot is so forward thinking with pushing League as an E-Sport.

It's up to Team Renegades to incentive Remilia with a better salary if she thinks she's worth it. Honestly, I think there are going to be a ton of players to replace her that she really has no selling point to bargain a raise.

Maybe she would get high viewers because she's a girl who's pro, but right now the only ones who make bank are a small. TSM, Nightblue, wingsofdeath, trick2g, voyboy....that's about it really.

yea but they had to be in the spotlight for awhile to get numbers, more so Voy and wings then anyone. You need the LCS to get more exposure to your streaming. Then you're fine even with 3k ish viewers

AcridMeat

Banned
Riot is already spending millions of dollars for leagues around the world. They give a ton of incentive.

It's up to Team Renegades to incentive Remilia with a better salary if she thinks she's worth it. Honestly, I think there are going to be a ton of players to replace her that she really has no selling point to bargain a raise.
I'm not sure why you quoted me again arguing the same point I said again.

The bold is unknown. We don't know what the split in money is for Renegades, they've never been in LCS, they've never had the salary. I already addressed why Remilia would still be iffy and say the money line in the first place.
support streamers are really popular huh
Kiwikid is popular isn't he?

It might not be a bad time for Riot to take another look at salaries. The changes to the format are good for viewers, but rough for up-and-coming teams; there's no longer nearly as much incumbent advantage in relegations, which means a lot less job security, and in turn makes the commitment to move to California and put the rest of the player's life (college and career ambitions) on hold much scarier. That can be a big consideration for any player who isn't a no-lifer, 24/7 LoL-streamer by profession.

It also probably hurts the potential for a lot of new teams to snag sponsorships, since sponsors are probably growing leery of the "easy in, easy out" Challenger rotation.

A basic salary increase for players across the board might be justifiable.

Nekofrog

Banned
what.jpg

she sure does.

TomShoe

Banned
Looks like Freeze is gone from CW if he gets a good offer from an LCS team. I'm surprised he hasn't jumped ship by now. CW most likely won't be able to pay him as they'll likely lose sponsors from being kicked from the LCS. I also doubt they can surround him with competent players, since Dentist and co. have a negative reputation now.

UOL, TSM, and SK sound like reasonable landing spots.

Fracas

#fuckonami
So yeah, looks like Remilia has decided to stick with Renegades and will be playing in the 2016 NA Spring Split.

Just saw her tweet. So awesome.

I'm behind what RNG stands for in terms of player support. Really excited to see how the team does. Lot of work to do but I think they can be a decent squad. RF is the only player I'd consider outright bad compared to other NA top laners.

TomShoe

Banned
The real question is whether they'll use Maple or Jebus. Jebus seemed like a competent ADC whenever I saw him play, but the Maple/Remilia duo synergizes so well, this is the best I've seen Maple play in a long time.

Top Bottom