• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends Championship Series: Season 5

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm not exactly sure, but a lot of Korea's good
popular
players joined LPL teams.

Game 2 was shenanigans though.

well both samsung teams left and neither was too popular

kakao and rookie also left

flame would be the only popular and maybe not that great player that went to china i'd say tho maybe i'm forgetting someone

clemenx

Banned
All I can think about now is how strong edg, omg, snake, and ldg, truly are ig and vici as well. So many China teams I want to see internationally.

Edwardo

Is there any reason to watch the next set of games?

So.. Did you watch?

well both samsung teams left and neither was too popular

kakao and rookie also left

flame would be the only popular and maybe not that great player that went to china i'd say tho maybe i'm forgetting someone

I'd say that's alot, but I liked the Samsung teams so maybe that skews my opinion. By popular I probably just meant players that I followed and or won championships/splits recently hehe.

Piglet and Impact too.

My take from this is it at least points towards an unpredictable Worlds group stage, at least.

EU clearly bottom tier though when it comes to teams that can do good abroad IMO - Origen need to shake it up pronto.

clemenx

Banned
I think it's unfair to say eu is bottom tier. SK had the same record after 2 games against YFW than tsm, sucks they were on the wrong side of the bo1s.

SK vs tsm bo3 would have been the best series in this event imo :(

Leezard

Is this the equivalent of Team Coast beating SSW?
Yeah, kind of. I don't know if WE is as far behind in score in the LPL as Coast is, but it would be something like MYM/Coast beating SSW.

edit: not that GET are proven world champions, but being first in OGN is something.

They pretty much are where Coast or MYM are in relative terms. They even brought in two subs (Mystic and Xiye) who had never played on the main roster before. In fact, the group of 5 players that lined up against TSM on day one had reportedly never scrimmed together until they arrived in Katowice.

This Xiye seems to be one hell of a player. Spirit was just about solo carrying WE to the odd win in the LPL, so with a top notch mid (at least on Diana, Ahri and LB), and a real AD carry perhaps their level's jumped up a bit. Still, it's hard to find any argument with Monte that this result is the biggest upset in LoL history bar none. The probable best team in the world losing to a team fielding unproven subs with a 1-6-8 record in their domestic league, in a series which also ends Korea's unbroken streak of international tournament wins. The match wasn't even all that close for a 2-1 come back - GE were pretty fortunate to hang on in game 1 till WE got greedy at bot tower and were easily closed on in games 2 and 3. Wow.

And they still have to play TSM to win the tournament, who they lost to on day one!

The funny thing is that this roster may never play international LoL ever again - with their horrible domestic record they will almost certainly be going to the Chinese Summer Promotion tournament, where they'll play against several dangerous teams.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'd say that's alot, but I liked the Samsung teams so maybe that skews my opinion. By popular I probably just meant players that I followed and or won championships/splits recently hehe.

Piglet and Impact too.

it's a lot of players, but i think samsung never had a big following. and i really like mata and dandy too <3

They pretty much are where Coast or MYM are in relative terms. They even brought in two subs (Mystic and Xiye) who had never played on the main roster before. In fact, the group of 5 players that lined up against TSM on day one had reportedly never scrimmed together until they arrived in Katowice.

This Xiye seems to be one hell of a player. Spirit was just about solo carrying WE to the odd win in the LPL, so with a top notch mid (at least on Diana, Ahri and LB), and a real AD carry perhaps their level's jumped up a bit. Still, it's hard to find any argument with Monte that this result is the biggest upset in LoL history bar none. The probable best team in the world losing to a team fielding unproven subs with a 1-6-8 record in their domestic league, in a series which also ends Korea's unbroken streak of international tournament wins. The match wasn't even all that close for a 2-1 come back - GE were pretty fortunate to hang on in game 1 till WE got greedy at bot tower and were easily closed on in games 2 and 3. Wow.

And they still have to play TSM to win the tournament, who they lost to on day one!

The funny thing is that this roster may never play international LoL ever again - with their horrible domestic record they will almost certainly be going to the Chinese Summer Promotion tournament, where they'll play against several dangerous teams.
taipei assassins winning against frost in worlds 3 was pretty big

and moscow 5 beating frost and blaze in ipl5 (i think?) was pretty big too

it's just that monte doesn't watch if it isn't korea :p

it's a lot of players, but i think samsung never had a big following. and i really like mata and dandy too <3

gambit gaming at iem katowice. lost day 1. came back day 2 and beat the 2 best teams in the world.

bokn

Banned
wait, so why didn't they invite the top Chinese team instead of getting a second Korean team again?
Chinese teams have notoriously bad VISA issues too.
what the hell

off day for get or overall level in korea is lower?

probably both!
Korea's jungle pool seriously suffered with the loss of insec, kakao, dandy and spirit. This is why Lee and bengi can look ok in LCK.

RIP KOREA

Worlds is going to be interesting at least.

zkylon

zkylewd
aren't like dandy, spirit and insec on bottom tier teams?

im guessing the loss of sister teams also made scrimming in korea weird

Neither are really comparable to this though. M5 were one of the best teams in the world when they won IEM Katowice, and Blaze and Frost weren't dominating in Korea like they were six months previously (Frost would go on to be stomped 3-0 by Najin Sword the very next month).

TPA were more of a complete unknown than anything else. There were several pro players (esp. Saint and Chauster) who were adamant they were one of the best teams in the world since they were so good in scrims. Very tough to judge a team with little meaningful competitive history. As soon as they kicked out MaKNooN's Najin Sword in the QFs 2-0 (probably a better team than Frost - see OGN Winter 2012) everyone knew they were a serious force. Then they went and beat M5 in the SFs. I suppose TPA > NJS in the S2WC QFs could be the second biggest series upset of all time though? I'd agree with that. I don't think the Stanley/Lilballz/Toyz/Bebe/Mistake roster gets nearly enough credit for the level they attained.

But this is nuts. GE Tigers are 20-2 in Korea, unbeaten in Bo3s. In the region which has won quite literally every international tournament to which it's sent a team to since IEM Katowice in January 2013 (let's ignore IEM Singapore). And they are the worst team in their region, who can barely win a single game, never mind a Bo3!

Arion

Superficially this is the first international tournament since 2012 without a Korean team in the finals. But if you look at the individual players there is 2 NA, 2 EU, 3 Chinese and 3 Koreans in the final game.

bokn

Banned
Man we're never gonna hear the end of this from Froskruinn are we.

Biggest upset in LoL history at a mediocre tournament

I'm glad GE Tigers lost, it was annoying to constantly hear about how they're the best team in the world despite having never proved it. Monte kept saying how weak and far behind NA was this season, so i'm glad TSM is doing well. GE disrespecting WE in game 2 and then losing was beautiful. TSM seems to be really good at adapting in a series. I think it's likely TSM will lose game 1 but then do well after that, but either way I think it will be a fun bo5.

Froskruinn??

An analyst who focuses on China

janoDX

GE Tigers deserve to lose so they can be humbled. The same happened to Samsung White on S3 and they were humbled and went into S4 in serious mode. I hope this shows to GET that they never have to be a "we're op we can do whatever we want".

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
ESL god damnit turn your stream on. I don't want to watch in Spanish.

NjPSFlt.png

On the plus side with ESL proving incapable of organising a finals day I'll be able to watch the final from the start despite not getting in from work till 80 minutes after the scheduled start time.

Wonder how TSM will approach pick/ban here. They could focus on Aluka, who's been excellent on Maokai and Sion but has a reputation for being very weak, or focus on Spirit since he's WE's most proven player (I have to imagine he'll never get Rek'Sai this series), or focus on Xiye. Maybe they'll try to take Janna away from YuZhe.

brian!

rek sai will be banned early until something more problematic shows up during the series
i dont think it will get through at all tho

it's also probably not meaningful to target jungle bans since santorin doesn't seem like he has that many picks (that rammus tease yesterday tho?)

they should just ban for comps instead of target I think

Edwardo

Their regular channel is up a now. Countdown is at ~10 mins.

I hope TSM comes out in TSM basketball jerseys and is introduced with the Space Jam theme playing.

Top Bottom