• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends Championship Series: Season 5

It was a tournament of upsets, not sure how that's boring. Much more interesting than a korean or chinese team just steamrolling everyone.

Upsets? Sure. But aside from the WE/GE matches, there weren't many entertaining matches.

A Korea stomp at worlds is as boring as a 3-0 stomp here.

And no, I'm not a CLG fan.

Edit: Bo1 sucked too.

Blizzard

Banned
i think he's a clg fan lol
I don't know about CLG fan...

Well, atleast TSM has an easy matchup. NA should be able to get one win.
I would love it if TSM lost, though I don't think it could happen. Just imagine all the NA salt. Please happen.
I get something better then NA salt. KR salt.

Oh man, this is amazing. Great job by WE.

On the negative side, TSM might now win IEM. Welp, guess I can't have it all.
Ugh! Now I have to watch TSM play more games then I should. Gotta hold that salt I suppose. Hopefully that semi is quick.
Hopefully it goes to a game 5 and then TSM loses. Anything less would be a disappointment.
NA stays free. Lucky for TSM that the brackets are somewhat in their favor.

...but I get the impression they're not a TSM fan. :p (apologies if I got any quotes out of order, I fail at multiquote)

Yea, I'm not a TSM fan. Though I don't think it stops me from enjoying TSM games when they are good. But I would think, if you found Korea 3-0 stomps boring and uneventful at Worlds, the same would apply here.

But hey, w/e, I'm just a TSM hater I suppose.

Acerac

Banned
...but I get the impression they're not a TSM fan. :p (apologies if I got any quotes out of order, I fail at multiquote)

The funny part is when he asks us to imagine all the salt if NA lost. Seems he wants to make up for what we missed out on.

Given your posts in this thread you may not hate TSM, but you seem to hate the NA scene.

Blizzard

Banned
Yea, I'm not a TSM fan. Though I don't think it stops me from enjoying TSM games when they are good. But I would think, if you found Korea 3-0 stomps boring and uneventful at Worlds, the same would apply here.

I think one difference would be this is the first time ever, that I'm aware of, that TSM (or any western team) has won a world-level tournament. I'm not even sure TSM had beaten a Korean team in a best-of-3 or best-of-5 series before this tournament.

clemenx

Banned
WE should have won game 1 easily and everything went downhill from there. Not much more to say other than they've proved why they're 12th at LPL and yesterday was just a great day for them that wasn't going to happen again.

It's fun seeing NA win but I didn't like the games.

Hate on the NA scene? I'm not really sure what makes you think that.

And certainly, TSM winning is a huge achievement. I'm not denying that. But I don't think that alone makes the tournament grand finals enjoyable. Yes, if you are a TSM fan, sure. But at the end of the day, its a 3-0 stomp. You can look at the quotes above. I didn't think WE was going to lose to TSM.

I wished for a game 5 and then TSM to lose. *gasp* I have preferences as to which team I want to win. What a surprise. I don't think that colors my opinion of the tournament as a whole.

If it was the other way around, and WE 3-0'd TSM and that 3-0 was just as stompy (aside from the first game) as the current one, I'd still hold the same opinion. It would be detached from my enjoyment of NA salt (like my enjoyment of KR salt).

Edit: Blizzard, I believe TSM's record against Korean teams in a Bo3/5 hasn't changed this tournament. Unless I'm having a brain fart, didn't they only face CJ in a Bo1? They took a game off SSW at Worlds too.

Leezard

I think one difference would be this is the first time ever, that I'm aware of, that TSM (or any western team) has won a world-level tournament. I'm not even sure TSM had beaten a Korean team in a best-of-3 or best-of-5 series before this tournament.

EU teams has won world-level tournaments before, though not in recent time.

This is the best result for NA and western teams in general for a good while.

Blizzard

Banned
WE should have won game 1 easily and everything went downhill from there. Not much more to say other than they've proved why they're 12th at LPL and yesterday was just a great day for them that wasn't going to happen again.

It's fun seeing NA win but I didn't like the games.
I think this is an understandable perspective. I liked TSM doing well for the mixup of things, but in general closer games may be more enjoyable to watch if one doesn't have a specific player/team they're rooting for, in any fighting game / MOBA / whatever.

Well, TSM still hasn't won a best of 3/5 against a Korean team. WE are Chinese, and CJ Entus were beaten in a best of 1.

The only significant international tournaments contested by (notable) Chinese/Korean/Taiwanese teams which were won by North American or European teams that I know of:

IPL Face Off San Francisco (Team Solomid) (August 2012)
IEM Katowice Season VII (Gambit Gaming) (January 2013)
IEM World Championships Season IX (Team Solomid) (March 2015)

Blizzard

Banned
Well, TSM still hasn't won a best of 3/5 against a Korean team. WE are Chinese, and CJ Entus were beaten in a best of 1.

The only significant international tournaments contested by (notable) Chinese/Korean/Taiwanese teams which were won by North American or European teams that I know of:

IPL Face Off San Francisco (Team Solomid) (August 2012)
IEM Katowice Season VII (Gambit Gaming) (January 2013)
IEM World Championships Season IX (Team Solomid) (March 2015)
Thanks for the correction.

Edwardo

yGPs4LI.jpg

I think this tournament said a lot more about Korea than anything else. They ain't what they were. Which perhaps shouldn't be surprising given that they lost the full rosters of their best teams and most of the best players from their nearest challengers to China. It's just difficult to accept it, given how complete their domination was throughout 2013 and 2014.

CDiggity

Considering C9 shit the bed this tourney I'm not so sure we can say NA>Region X, we can say TSM>someone.

Also, we can't say NA>EU or EU>NA since they never played each other this tourney.

I would not be surprised if OMG or EDG came into the Mid Season Invitational and schooled everyone.

Ultimately I think the league hierarchy is one massive game of rock paper scissors.

clemenx

Banned
Can't discount the GE tigers and Korea just from this result as this was probably a much needed wake up call and it came very soon.
I mean from just watching the games lpl and ogn are still a tier or more above either lcs in quality.

The mid season tourney will be very interesting indeed. I do think that the Chinese champion dominating is the most likely thing to happen.

How much effect, if any, do you think that having smaller group sizes (10) in the LCS versus 12 teams in LPL has on quality and/or diversity when it comes to developing meta?

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't know about CLG fan...

ah i see my bad

still always got the impression from him that he was a tsm hater or whatever

i obviously wanted for a bo5 and was hoping for a closer game but can't argue with the hype of tsm finally winning an international tournament

Every tournament must be boring if you're a CLG fan
outch

Just wait for the mid season invitational

We'll see if this was just a fluke
yeah, pretty hype about that

tho now the question is if new we is really good and will be missed there, or if they're still the worst of china and china is super beast right now

tbh from watching a few lpl games i didn't feel china looks as good as korea but maybe it's cos the chinese style is a lot messier

I would say

CN=NA>KR>EU for now. Ultimately i think China will be the best region but for now this is how it looks.
i don't think korea is dead because ge tigers had one bad bo3

that's crazy

i still think korea is probably the best and that we were hard to scout because of their new players and get being cocky like all korean teams like to be for some bizarre reason.

cj is just cj and it's a coin flip how they'll play

skt or jin air might've done much better

zkylon

zkylewd
also this tournament left c9 looking rather awful, and sk with very telling weaknesses

i'd say it wasn't the greatest tournament, but it was a strange one and i think most teams will go back to their regions with things a bit shaken

fun stuff

SKT looking pretty stron all things considered.

What's this mid-season invitational you speak of?

replacement for all stars

i think it's number 1 team of each region, round robin then single elimination bo3s

People sure have their impressions about me. Let me clear it up: I don't like TSM. I don't care for CLG. I like teams that play good. That's about it.

I like Bjerg and Lust, don't care for Locodoco or Regi. I enjoy watching their games but because of their management, they are the only team that I honestly don't care for. Which is something I can't say for any other teams. Other teams like CLG are like: whatever. They do good, yay, their games are interesting to watch. They do poorly and fall apart, meh. Whatever.

People sure have their impressions about me. Let me clear it up: I don't like TSM. I don't care for CLG. I like teams that play good. That's about it.

I don't really have a horse in this race, but this is the single worst attempt at a deflection that I've ever seen.

You don't like a team. You like teams that play well. The team you don't like only dropped a single map in the entire tournament, and won most of their games in an extremely decisive fashion. Maybe you need to re-evaluate whether playing well is actually what you like (or don't like) about a team?

Or, you know, just admit that you have this weird grudge thing going on. It's fine; I don't like Dignitas, for absolutely no rational reason. You're allowed to hate things, you don't have to do a really terrible job of justifying it.

I don't really have a horse in this race, but this is the single worst attempt at a deflection that I've ever seen.

You don't like a team. You like teams that play well. The team you don't like only dropped a single map in the entire tournament, and won most of their games in an extremely decisive fashion. Maybe you need to re-evaluate whether playing well is actually what you like (or don't like) about a team?

Or, you know, just admit that you have this weird grudge thing going on. It's fine; I don't like Dignitas, for absolutely no rational reason. You're allowed to hate things, you don't have to do a really terrible job of justifying it.

I've explained my reasoning above for not liking TSM.

It is possible to not like a team and still respect their play. Weird, I know.

Top Bottom