• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT10| Botlane Was A Mistake, It's Nothing But Thresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisD

Unfortunately this is true

New players dont have the necessary micro to check the opponents abilities though

One thing however - the free rotation helps. You will predictably see those 10 free champions in new player games and so you can read up on them before playing. Having to learn the game 10 champions at a time makes it less daunting.

There are those smurfs who rush buy a champion to carry games though. Jerks, but they fall out of new player games pretty fast.

Ideally there should be an ingame "L2P book" that has the lowdown on all the champions currently in the game + info on some game mechanics

Whats wrong with heimerdinger

Yeah, I try to read on each week's ten champs. But I forgot that it had switched over already, so seeing the enemy comp was a confusing surprise.

And isn't Heimerdinger just one of the most annoying people ever to face?

kenbo

I think the fundamental difference here is definitional

Are "beginner" champions:

mechanically easy - low skill floor
OR
easily strong?

For ADC, Dreams is representing the "low skill floor" argument. It's true that MF, Cait, Ashe are easy to understand and easy to execute at some level. This is useful for those people who haven't been introduced to the concept of kiting or having to farm to become strong.

Ghost and maybe a few others represent the "easily strong" argument. Champions like Tristana, Corki, Graves do have a little more nuance to their mechanics, namely skillshots, low range etc. But it's a lot easier to be useful with these champions than the "low skill floor" list as they may have dashes (very useful for beginner ADC since you're paper) or spells (useful because you do not have perfect kite mechanics/understanding of when to auto attack as a beginner)

Low skill floor ADC will be good for first time players who need to learn what being ranged means, having to kite, being squishy etc. But I think they should quickly move onto the "easily strong" camp because to be useful to your team on champions like MF, Cait, Ashe etc is pretty hard and we dont want to frustrate beginners.

But please, Corki isn't a lane bully anymore. You can't reliably hit his Q without CC from your support anymore.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
And isn't Heimerdinger just one of the most annoying people ever to face?

He's only annoying if you play it wrong and don't focus down his turrets asap. He works great in Plat and below since people get cocky and think they can just burst him down easily while ignoring his turrets.

I mean, I thought this whole discussion was about "beginner" as in new to the role, not new to the game.

If you're new to the game just pick fuck all and have fun, but if you're trying to actually learn how to ADC stuff like Cait or Varus is the last place you should be looking at.

Also Corki's Q ain't that hard to land. And unless you're laning with a Soraka there will be plenty of opportunities to land it.

I mean, I thought this whole discussion was about "beginner" as in new to the role, not new to the game.

If you're new to the game just pick fuck all and have fun, but if you're trying to actually learn how to ADC stuff like Cait or Varus is the last place you should be looking at.
I agree with this, some times just diving into the deep end is a good way to learn things. That's how I learnt league there are still some things I don't know.

Indeed the difference in defining "beginner" here is essential. Conversation amounts to ships passing in the water without context and a basic, agreed upon working definition of the essential elements.

Ambition

Brought back the GOAT Login screen
shades_smile.gif

Edit: Riven nerfs

Why?..

HowZatOZ

Banned
Shoulda played ranked

Also this PBE patch...
It's absolutely nothing!

Surprisingly it turned out alright, LB has quite good peel and her damage was insane. We were able to lock down their Jinx and Oriana with an invade into jungle and everyone was doing well on their lanes. Though we did have our Vi just give up halfway and feed/afk because Tryn top was eating some of her jungle.

ah man i wish i had this game recorded. i took TP on accident on my adc and we had a long game, they were pushing our base in we had no chance but i saw super minions down on bot working their way in.

TP'd down and finished it like 1 second before they did.
everybody was confused, they tunneled hard.

it was a terrible game skill wise but i felt amazing.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't think graves is a good suggestion at all, tbqh. His short range and short dash make it weak for chasing, weak for escaping, and easily harassed. All of which feel like a bad combination for beginners. Trist is kinda okay for beginners I guess. Her aoe damage can make last-hitting unexpectedly difficult for newbies, though.

I think my "ADC for beginners" picks would be:

- Ashe
- Miss Fortune
- Caitlyn
- Varus

All fairly straightforward with fairly easy to use ultimates and none of which are overly reliant on skills or skill shots to carry. All the others require some real understanding to deal with their weaknesses or higher skillcap skill sets.
you might be right about graves, but i feel kind of not great about those champions. varus in particular is very weird how he works and so is mf. caitlyn also has a lot of strength in her range which is something that's far from immediatelly understandable by new players and she has too many weird spells, i don't think so iether.

ashe is the closest i can think to an easy one

Whats wrong with heimerdinger
what isn't

fuck heimer -___-

Opgg has changed quite a lot
whoa, yeah

not playing for two weeks really changes things

looks pretty nice

Also Corki's Q ain't that hard to land. And unless you're laning with a Soraka there will be plenty of opportunities to land it.
yeah i duno why boko says it's hard to land, it's not the easiest, but it's not impossible, cmon

Kenai

Jinx is pretty easy to pick up and play, in no small part because she scales really well and has pretty good range.. Ashe is harder than she was but not too bad. I think Sivir isn't much harder if you can press E on command when you see something coming. All of their abilities are fairly easy to understand.

I'd say Varus, Kogmaw, Kalista and Draven are the most complex to do. Varus combos aren't immediately apparent and he has to be good with skillshots and dealing with no escape..Kog is similar with his ult and low cc/self defense. Draven has his axe catching/stack building and Kalista has her leaping to get used to in addition to how her ghosts and ult work.

Most of the others depend on how oppressive their opponent is or how good their support is at making it safe to farm.

Kenai

TP Mid Yasuo is pretty good
emoticu-not+bad.png.gif
Yasuo in general feels really good, I don't understand the hate he gets here
KuGsj.gif

Because he is one of those champs where it seems like the one on your team is an idiot who feeds, while the one on the enemy team will be 5/0 10 min in and 1v3 your group ups with ease.

Vayne is in a similar boat.

Ferga

c'mon Kog is not hard

He's only hard when you play him in a meta where he doesn't work. If you play kog in a meta where he can thrive and you know how to stand at max range of W, it's easy as hell.

His laning is incredibly easy in the right bot lane meta as well.

I say this because even I was good at kog when the triforce-phantom dancer kog build was meta and my ping has always prevented me from attack moving fluidly.

patchday

Because he is one of those champs where it seems like the one on your team is an idiot who feeds, while the one on the enemy team will be 5/0 10 min in and 1v3 your group ups with ease.

Vayne is in a similar boat.

I just got tired of seeing him but in the hands of a skilled player he does wonders. I've seen him utilized great in pro competitions. Not sure if I've seen him at Worlds yet but I havent watched all the matches

patchday

Why don't you link some ranked matches? I'll be the judge of that.

checkout probuilds.net. Pro players use him mid lane all the time

<assuming the algorithm they're using reliably determines it's a Yasuo mid. But didnt looks at summoner spells myself>

zkylon

zkylewd
all the yasuos are absolute shitters so i love running into him in the enemy team

it's such a delicious free win, i just love savouring it, buying mejais and watching them desperately try and dash in circles while i just spam laugh and farm and then kill them when they yasuo because they're playing yasuo and they're the worst

nbraun80

Lol yeah always hate when someone locks in yas on my team and they'll say something like this is an easy matchup, and then they get rekt. I've just been spamming azir in my ranked matches against yas and talon. I just farm right of my turret range, inevitably they'll want to dash on you, to which I ult them back under my turret and laugh. Felt kinda bad for the talon main who kept E'ing onto me and getting walled under my turret every time. Lol

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
heim v yasuo is my favourite

dashing into my turrets and taking free turret autos LOL

A good Yas will fuck a Heimer up. A well placed wind wall will negate all your abilities and his shiv crits will obliterate turrets.

kenbo

A good Yas will fuck a Heimer up. A well placed wind wall will negate all your abilities and his shiv crits will obliterate turrets.

pls he gets crushed before he even gets shiv

plus I put them outside of chain range so he will only chain to one at most

plus the turrets are in a triangle so he cant windwall them all if i stand in the middle

also cos theyre in a triangle he cant dash into me to harass me so he can only tornado ult me to start a fight

but I run exhaust

plus a shiv crit does 200 damage, turrets will have 325+ hp when he gets shiv and they have MR

equals yasuo gets rekt

a+b = heimerdinger ggs yasuo

HowZatOZ

Banned
I sometimes hate what World Championship does to matches. People playing "pro" roles and failing miserably. Tahm Kench is the new "everywhere" role it seems.

kenbo

Wait darius has a 46% plat+ win rate now? What happened? And why is he still permabanned?

Ban rates have always a little slow to match win rates

Somes people ban champions because they find them frustrating, rather than because they are strong.

e.g. Yasuo

kenbo

Seems like there are 'keystone' style assets for the masteries on PBE

will riot be moving to a more power per point (with less points) mastery system?

Or are these just fancy borders for different tiers :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom