• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT10| Botlane Was A Mistake, It's Nothing But Thresh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chests are gonna make people even more toxic when they begin to loose a match lol.

But overall lots of cool changes coming

I can imagine them selling chests. If they only come out of specific 'achievements'-IE playing urf mode or a certain amount of matches during X holiday, then after the initial drip feed the addiction will set in and people will buy alot of chests. If they're only like...250 RP, then it's easier to swallow for the customer.

They did mention you can outright buy the items they'll give but....more information is needed.

patchday

It'll lower queue times at the top

and forge new friendships

what if it was tied to something that wasnt winning or losing like champion grade

The Champion grade/mastery system is tied into Winning though. My Vi champ still not mastery 5 cause I cant win with her to save my life. I'll never bring her to ranked. But with Karma I got her to Mastery 5 really fast cause she's a winner (for me)

edit- Sorry Gaf havent gotten a chance to play with Vi yet since gathering your advice but will soon

That whole 'any size for solo queue' thing is going to fuck things up. Like, let's say you queue up as a group of 4, and there's no opposing grouped up team, then you'll have to be placed with randoms and/or 2 random parties. Boy it's going to be fucked.

People will complain.

I will be there to savor it.

Solid preseason patch so far. Disappointed at lack of Dragon Master Swain though.

jerd

That whole 'any size for solo queue' thing is going to fuck things up. Like, let's say you queue up as a group of 4, and there's no opposing grouped up team, then you'll have to be placed with randoms and/or 2 random parties. Boy it's going to be fucked.

People will complain.

I will be there to savor it.

Solid preseason patch so far. Disappointed at lack of Dragon Master Swain though.

Lyte said 95% of the time youll be matched with a similar grouping so take that for what its worth

may lead to longer q times

Lyte said 95% of the time youll be matched with a similar grouping so take that for what its worth

Hopefully it does.

If the system has a huge buffer in looking for groups, then I'd be fine with it. But if the system is tooled to increasing its search parameters quickly, then it's going to be a disaster.

patchday

Yeah grouping will probably work out I think. The new draft mode will work wonders

More concerned with learning the new ADC items etc.

sleepykyo

I don't really see how that's going to be an issue, to be honest. The way the new champion select system works makes it so you won't be bullied into a role you don't want.

He'll still be an outsider. Every mistake by the outsider is a major mistake while any by the tribe is minor. A bigger tribe just means a larger number of reports on the outsider and reinforces their behavior.

These threads contain multiple incidents of an angry mob.

I can't believe they're taking a maple story route with 'rentals' though. That's just tacky.

With the way this is popular in Korea, I bet they're looking at Korean MMOs for ideas. Rentals are always present in those, and I guess the must be popular because they have been a thing for years, Maplestory being the biggest example.

I imagine if you're soloing or duoing there won't be much of a queue increase. Three and above, probably there will be.

Kenai

I like the stuff overall but do find 'rentals" fairly tacky.

They haven't been releasing Chromas much so I guess they aren't too popular. I was always hoping Chromas would be something like Smite where you have the option to buy them *or* spend RP on them but only after hitting Mastery on the champ.Sort of like a reward for playing the champ so much. But it takes a lot longer to master them in Smite so I dunno (think 10+ times as long). Maybe little extra anity things for champs you master that aren't chromas? That would be neat.

I like the new pick/ban system, either you get first pick or you get to ban, no one feels like crap for being on the bottom of the screen or trying to take requests top. I will either get a champ i like to play in a role I actually want or I never have to see Blitzcrank. Everyone wins!.

This is a lot to take in though. Exciting times.

He'll still be an outsider. Every mistake by the outsider is a major mistake while any by the tribe is minor. A bigger tribe just means a larger number of reports on the outsider and reinforces their behavior.

These threads contain multiple incidents of an angry mob.

I can see abuse being a huge possible thing. This must be a huge step for them. Like in the lobby prematch, being bullied into banning something or forcing a soloqueue player into firstpicking something. For Rito...itll ne interesting.

With the way this is popular in Korea, I bet they're looking at Korean MMOs for ideas. Rentals are always present in those, and I guess the must be popular because they have been a thing for years, Maplestory being the biggest example.

Yeah...since League is huge in Korea I can see why theyre taking this path. I wonder how the wests reaction to it will be. "Rental DLC" will draw some ire..

I like the stuff overall but do find 'rentals" fairly tacky.

They haven't been releasing Chromas much so I guess they aren't too popular. I was always hoping Chromas would be something like Smite where you have the option to buy them *or* spend RP on them but only after hitting Mastery on the champ.Sort of like a reward for playing the champ so much. But it takes a lot longer to master them in Smite so I dunno (think 10+ times as long). Maybe little extra anity things for champs you master that aren't chromas? That would be neat.

I like the new pick/ban system, either you get first pick or you get to ban, no one feels like crap for being on the bottom of the screen or trying to take requests top. I will either get a champ i like to play in a role I actually want or I never have to see Blitzcrank. Everyone wins!.

This is a lot to take in though. Exciting times.

My problem with chromas has always been having to buy the whole pack. I'm only going to use one colour, I really don't want to spend more to get them all.

patchday

Guys League already has 'rentals' of a sort in the Phillipians. Forgive me for my horrible memory, but a fellow gaf that's on that server was telling us how there are specials of a sort where you get to use a skin or champ for a week. Something like that.

Cant recall that gaf's name atm. He/she used to post quite often. Yall remember that gaffer that always complains bout not having access to replays cause he's not on US/Europe server. Its managed by some other company

edit- I think it was Killatopak thats on Phillipians.

Kenai

My problem with chromas has always been having to buy the whole pack. I'm only going to use one colour, I really don't want to spend more to get them all.

Maybe. I'm just saying that they haven't made very many of them so I as kinda hoping they'd implement them in a better way while they are doing all this other stuff.

Guys League already has 'rentals' of a sort in the Phillipians. Forgive me for my horrible memory, but a fellow gaf that's on that server was telling us how there are specials of a sort where you get to use a skin or champ for a week. Something like that.

Cant recall that gaf's name atm. He/she used to post quite often. Yall remember that gaffer that always complains bout not having access to replays cause he's not on US/Europe server. Its managed by some other company

edit- I think it was Killatopak thats on Phillipians.

Its the same in some asian countries. You go to a cafe, temporarily unlock everything, sort of renting.

Ita just that in the West that type of dlc/system isnt accepted. So Riot doing it...is odd.

Its the same in some asian countries. You go to a cafe, temporarily unlock everything, sort of renting.

Ita just that in the West that type of dlc/system isnt accepted. So Riot doing it...is odd.

Well, they are largely owned by Tencent. I know they aren't supposed to have that much control over Riot, but still.

zkylon

zkylewd
That's a personal issue that I'm sure 99% of players don't share. That's not to diminish your opinion, but it's very much in the minority.

These systems, as long as they're implemented correctly and add instead of replace, help keep players invested. The crafting, based on the limited information we have, seems to add, not replace. You can still buy whatever skins you want. You're not missing anything with this system, it's just a way to get a skin or other cosmetic without paying, something that is currently impossible.
i don't think it's gonna replace skins, i just think it's a shitty addition that makes the game worse for existing. i'd rather have the system i had before and not have to deal with this shit

Now, if Riot goes and says "Well, this skin is EXCLUSIVE to this chest and you only have a 20% chance to get it!", then yes, we have a problem.
i'd be surprised if they don't

It's only gambling if you actually pay for the keys, but since you can get keys for free its just a neat little bonus and a way to get cosmetics for just playing the game which rewards people who play a lot.

I dunno, I just don't understand what you dislike about it but eh opinions and shit.
why not just add the chance to get a free skin/champion instead of adding a complicated gambling system then?

you could get hats and guns in tf2 for free and you didn't even had to play the game to get them lol and it still made the game worse. sounded like a neat little thing at first too

also i dunno what's hard to understand, i don't like manipulative systems that exploit players. i mean, you're gonna get a chest drop, then start thinking is it worth it to wait for the key shards or whatever or should i just buy one from the shop. maybe not you, but me and a lot of other ppl will and that's how this shit works. it's created a problem for me that they offer a quick and easy solution to that costs money. and it's gambling, so you might not even get something that's worth anything.

i don't like it, i don't think the current system is perfect or anything, but it sure didn't have this new gambling thing i don't like

i'll save final judgement/whatever for when rito releases actual information on like drop rates and crap, but my initial reaction is the usual yuck at this things

yup, chromas are garbage for that very reason

i forget how much they cost but if they were 600rp for all three, it'd be a better deal to pay 500rp for each because you're only gonna ever use that one

Chests are gonna make people even more toxic when they begin to loose a match lol.

But overall lots of cool changes coming
very unlikely. outside of that ascension game mode i think riot has been really good at not falling into the trap of doing achievements

Quonny

i don't think it's gonna replace skins, i just think it's a shitty addition that makes the game worse for existing. i'd rather have the system i had before and not have to deal with this shit

Then ignore it.

Seriously. If you don't like it, ignore it. Nothing changes for you at all.

zkylon

zkylewd
Then ignore it.

Seriously. If you don't like it, ignore it. Nothing changes for you at all.
i'm just voicing my opinion on why i think it's a bad, exploitative system like all gambling shit and all those shitty f2p chest systems

we all also think it's shit that all champions aren't available for free but it's not like "ok just ignore it"

what kind of talk is that -__-

i'm just voicing my opinion on why i think it's a bad, exploitative system like all gambling shit and all those shitty f2p chest systems

we all also think it's shit that all champions aren't available for free but it's not like "ok just ignore it"

Because you're the only one that really sees the chest thing as shitty immediately.

zkylon

zkylewd
but "gambling" isnt the only way to get your cosmetics?
we'll see how the drop rates are, but it's likely that it's gambling or waiting a lot for a drop

like tf2

it is shitty though

if they wanna do that they may as well make all the champs free.
i think that's unreasonable to expect from them, but i'm not gonna be like yay thanks riot for adding gambling and grinding to the game

like i said, if you want to casually reward players just skip the chest step entirely. but since this thing is about selling keys...

Quonny

Because you're the only person who sees this system as a negative. It's bizarre and I'm trying to understand why you're so against it.

You can still buy your skins in the shop exactly the way it is now. They're literally giving you free stuff for nothing.

patchday

very unlikely. outside of that ascension game mode i think riot has been really good at not falling into the trap of doing achievements

I'm a little confused? Chest dont have anything to do with achievements.

I was saying I think ppl will get extra salty if they lose and don't get a shot at the key.

But I think these chest will can be extra cake. Since IP goes to these stinky runes I always thought this game needed some other sort of currency or something.

Part of me really does love the custimization runes brings. But wish I didnt focus on them so much like I did. Kinda pushed me away from the game a little

BTW Love that Avatar/1!!!!!! I loved that anime :D

Quonny

Scenario A: A cool new Lux skin comes out. You can buy it for 975.

Scenario B: A cool new Lux skin comes out. You can buy it for 975, or you have a chance to get it in a chest you get while playing naturally.

How is B in any way worse?

zkylon

zkylewd
Because you're the only person who sees this system as a negative. It's bizarre and I'm trying to understand why you're so against it.

You can still buy your skins in the shop exactly the way it is now. They're literally giving you free stuff for nothing.
it's easy, i played tf2 before and after hats

patchday

Scenario B: A cool new Lux skin comes out. You can buy it for 975, or you have a chance to get it in a chest you get while playing naturally.

Well I'd rather all prices get reduced and get rid of sales. That way I can just buy what I want asap rather than,

"975 too much to pay for Lucian!!! I'm gonna wait 3 months for him to go on sale!"

Now people will be like,

"975 too much for Lucian!!! I'm gonna wait and hope for a key!"

And if they don't get it they might get frustrated.

I'm just basing this on my experience with Destiny lol. People cried rivers for loot. I worked hard to escape that game. Hope this won't descend into RNG hell but I doubt it.

patchday

So this key thing just like Dota 2 though and I am guessing its a smash hit there (I guess, I only play mods in that game so I'm asking)

So will wait and see how it works out

JulianImp

I also remember my days of playing TF2 and how random item drops, crates, crafting and in-game trading all looked like good ideas at first, but they proved to be a pain as time went on. The Steam market might've made acquiring particular stuff easier now compared to back when I still played the game, but back then there were a host of issues I saw with the system.

Even though LoL won't have trading and we won't be getting new content as quickly as TF2 with its constant stream of new weapons and hats, I've seen enough from random loot and crafting systems to feel like they're little more than a gambling mechanism that ends up pressuring some kinds of people into spending money to get (random) results faster. Even if it's mostly a new way to get nice stuff for free, the way those systems tend to be meticulously engineered psychological traps for certain user archetypes certainly rubs me the wrong way.

zkylon

zkylewd

because in scenario b i spend 600rp on gambling with a key, get a 7 day soraka rental, reroll it all three times, end up with a shitty soraka skin and now i'm like maybe i'll wait for a sale

i was happy in scenario a, scenario b has this annoying temptation to gamble i don't like

at least when im like regular whaling out i get what i want in the end and it's cheaper

Unless I'm missing something, TF2 never allowed you to straight up buy the hats you wanted from Valve at a set price.
they added one, but i had jumped ship long before that

It's pretty much exactly like Dota 2 except, at least as-of-yet, we do not know if there are exclusives in the chests that cannot be bought on the store. Dota 2 does have exclusive, chest-only sets.
this is assuming riot won't ever do that. can't really blame riot for something they haven't done yet, but cmon

Tizoc

because in scenario b i spend 600rp on gambling with a key, get a 7 day soraka rental, reroll it all three times, end up with a shitty soraka skin and now i'm like maybe i'll wait for a sale

i was happy in scenario a, scenario b has this annoying temptation to gamble i don't like

at least when im like regular whaling out i get what i want in the end

they added one, but i had jumped ship long before that

this is assuming riot won't ever do that. can't really blame riot for something they haven't done yet, but cmon

They're not exactly getting rid of Option A, so I don't see why you would have an issue with it.

Quonny

But you still can buy the skin.

That's where your whole argument falls apart. Just...don't gamble.

Yeah, if you can't control yourself, that's on you, and I'm sorry you can't control yourself. They're giving you a perfectly viable way to get exactly what you want, and it's exactly the way it is right now.

I'm well aware that they're a company and want to make the moola. They aren't doing this to be nice. They're doing this for two reasons: like an MMO, the more stuff you unlock, the more likely you are to stick with the game, and two, to get those people who can't control themselves.

i mean, they are. i can't play in a version of the game without gambling

that's why i said i'd maybe like the option to opt out

The option to opt out is just to not do it. It's completely, 100% optional.

are you messing with us

Tizoc

^Oh now I get it, yeah what Quonny said, the only one to stop you from using option B is yourself.

i mean, they are. i can't play in a version of the game without gambling

that's why i said i'd maybe like the option to opt out

I have no idea what you just posted, sorry @_@

zkylon

zkylewd
But you still can buy the skin.

That's where your whole argument falls apart. Just...don't gamble.

Yeah, if you can't control yourself, that's on you, and I'm sorry you can't control yourself. They're giving you a perfectly viable way to get exactly what you want, and it's exactly the way it is right now.

I'm well aware that they're a company and want to make the moola. They aren't doing this to be nice. They're doing this for two reasons: like an MMO, the more stuff you unlock, the more likely you are to stick with the game, and two, to get those people who can't control themselves.
will depend a lot on the rates shit drops and whatnot

the way i imagine it will be is that i'll be left with an inventory full of locked chests begging me to buy keys for them

so either i buy keys and get a ton of shitty soraka skins

or i don't and i feel bad because i don't get to open those chests for another decade

Quonny

the way i imagine it will be is that i'll be left with an inventory full of closed chests begging me to buy keys for them

or i don't and i feel bad because i don't get to open those chests for another decade

Just don't look at it, bruh. Soraka won't be mad just because she doesn't have a shitty skin.

Or delete them. They need a delete option, that's what I did with my Dota 2 chests when those were a thing.

Tizoc

the way i imagine it will be is that i'll be left with an inventory full of closed chests begging me to buy keys for them

Or you can just gift the dang chests, trade them in for IP, or actually not give a fuck about them.

JulianImp

You're only exploited if you LET YOURSELF be exploited.
Ain't a matter of deserve or not.

Tell that to the behavioural psychologists and economists that are often behind these kinds of systems. Their goal first and foremost is to maximize the chances of exploiting them dolphins and whales (aside: hurray for casino lingo finding its way into game design!
/s
) and not do charity work, which is obviously a given since Riot's a buisiness anyway.

I can see the advantages of "free stuff", but design-wise I'm well aware of the intention to prey upon a particular user demographic, which means that the users that enjoy cool stuff for free are being subsidized by users psychologically exploited into paying money for stuff they might not have acquired otherwise.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
If League was a $60 retail game I would be upset at this system. Seeing as how it's a F2P game and an old gimmick at that I don't really get the outrage. Yes some people have gambling addiction issues and that's understandable but that shouldn't mean a new system shouldn't be implemented.

Feel pretty neutral about the whole thing.

Got ~6 minutes then got kinda bored. I'm sure some no life bronze/silver player with 9999 bot games will have shit on lock. This is pretty dumb by CLG since it mostly just depends on exploiting stupid AI to die early and give yourself a big gold leap instead of actually analyzing the game. But good for them it's a fun little event I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom