• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT10| Botlane Was A Mistake, It's Nothing But Thresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerd

as is mentioned on the site, there's no more MMR boost for queueing together, so that situation won't happen. Those 4 bronze players will be matched with and against people of similar MMR like solo queue

Thanks costy! I looked for that info and i thought i read it thoroughly but i guess not :p

o god the thing is like 7 pages long i was just reading the one page over and over

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Was so excited about the ban stuff then I realized it doesn't change the fact that all bans still happen in the beginning. Fuck me.

jerd

Was so excited about the ban stuff then I realized it doesn't change the fact that all bans still happen in the beginning. Fuck me.

Having a ban in the middle of champ select would be amazing for competitive, but pretty whatever for solo q. Likely wouldn't change anything 99% of the time aside from a few power picks getting through every game

Holy shit these changes. The new champ select looks amazing and no more missed bans!
When you're in a division lower than Gold 1, if you lose a promotional series, the next time you enter your series, you'll start with at least one win.
Time to get plat Kappa
For those who just want to pick up loot at a significant discount, we'll also be offering unique types of chests in the store that are guaranteed to be good deals!
We Valve now

Quonny

Chromas should be drops.

Not only are they easier to pump out, but if skins have Chromas, then people will have a reason to buy the skins, thus making Valve Riot more moneyz.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Having a ban in the middle of champ select would be amazing for competitive, but pretty whatever for solo q. Likely wouldn't change anything 99% of the time aside from a few power picks getting through every game

That's the point.

garath

I don't really see how that's going to be an issue, to be honest. The way the new champion select system works makes it so you won't be bullied into a role you don't want.

Not about getting bullied into a role, it's about getting bullied period. I play normal draft as much as ranked if not more and it's been far more toxic than ranked if I have to compare them side by side. Being the solo player teamed up with a premade is all well and good if they're in good spirits but it's way too easy to get ganged up on if it's not going well.

Judging by the reddit posts, I'm not the only one with that experience.

Quonny

Not about getting bullied into a role, it's about getting bullied period. I play normal draft as much as ranked if not more and it's been far more toxic than ranked if I have to compare them side by side. Being the solo player teamed up with a premade is all well and good if they're in good spirits but it's way too easy to get ganged up on if it's not going well.

Judging by the reddit posts, I'm not the only one with that experience.

I dunno, I've rarely ever experienced that. Toxic people are toxic whether or not they're in a group.

I just stopped caring what my teammates said two years ago. Game's been much more enjoyable since.

The difference is that it's way less likely premades will start giving you shit when their imaginary points are on the line.

And it's not like solo Q players don't gang up on people either.

Another thing Pwyff pointed out at reddit, 4 man premades will be rare as shit. In normals there's no restrictions, you just queue up and play, but in ranked you'll need to be within a tier of each other and with the system trying it's hardest to place premade players vs premade players the chances of you playing with 3~4 man premades drops considerably for ranked.

kenbo

Another thing Pwyff pointed out at reddit, 4 man premades will be rare as shit. In normals there's no restrictions, you just queue up and play, but in ranked you'll need to be within a tier of each other and with the system trying it's hardest to place premade players vs premade players the chances of you playing with 3~4 man premades drops considerably for ranked.

It'll be rare if we look at friend groups right now - but if you start a season playing only with these 4 players, then you will maintain that rank with each ohter.

It'll be rare if we look at friend groups right now - but if you start a season playing only with these 4 players, then you will maintain that rank with each ohter.
Sure, but how many people will play solo Q as if they were playing ranked teams? I'd bet not that many to actually matter for solo peeps specially with the new MMR thingy

garath

That's a really good point.

patchday

But if they are true homies they will play together no matter the rank. I know I play with my friend (in another game) and he's much higher rank than me. Even though he was "down-leveled" to my rank. I wonder if Riot going with a system like that

zkylon

zkylewd
Nah. I like adobe air
i actually like adobe air quite a lot, it's just that league client was very poorly made lol

lots of announcements

new client - sweet, looks super fancy
new champ select - still 3 bans right? the wording is kind of confusing there, so it's one ban each for the last three to pick? that seems like an improvement. i hope there's something new for ranked 5s too
ranked 3/4s - this is pretty interesting, probably never gonna play a normals game again
parties - are great, thank god
clubs - never really used them before, so not much of an opinion
app - im gonna install it and use it once probably

i don't like the idea of chests and keys, that's making me groan already

patchday

Maybe Riot are hiding in game voice chat like they hid the new client!

Voice chat will be a requirement. The random will be a full retard to a premade of 4. In other games I've played that had voice chat- I would get invited if I played well into their chat and eventually we became full teams

But if this game has no voice chat its gonna be tough for the random if the premade are using voice (externally)

kenbo

Voice chat will be a requirement. The random will be a full retard to a premade of 4. In other games I've played that had voice chat- I would get invited if I played well into their chat and eventually we became full teams

But if this game has no voice chat its gonna be tough for the random if the premade are using voice (externally)

yea

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Not really, just invite them via discord.

There is the potential for skin prices to creep up, but other than that, it's free stuff.
They're not going to increase skin prices without creating a new tier of skin quality and those are already pretty well separated feature-wise, can't think of anything Riot could add to a 1350RP skin without turning it into a Legendary.

jerd

i actually like adobe air quite a lot, it's just that league client was very poorly made lol

lots of announcements

new client - sweet, looks super fancy
new champ select - still 3 bans right? the wording is kind of confusing there, so it's one ban each for the last three to pick? that seems like an improvement. i hope there's something new for ranked 5s too
ranked 3/4s - this is pretty interesting, probably never gonna play a normals game again
parties - are great, thank god
clubs - never really used them before, so not much of an opinion
app - im gonna install it and use it once probably

i don't like the idea of chests and keys, that's making me groan already

as a note If i'm understanding correctly you can even queue up 5 people for a "solo q" game rather than queuing as a ranked 5s team

zkylon

zkylewd
since here's more of a discussion board thing than discord: i dont like having a constant stream of gated shit coming my way that have a big sign that says HERES SOME GOODIES THAT YOU CANT ACCESS YET, and when you actually get access to it it's randomized so you might get disappointed anyways. you're just injected this feeling of "i'm missing out on something". even if it's all attainable for free, you don't have any guarantees that they won't balance the drops around making you buy keys aside from trust on riot (which imo they have mostly earned, if we forget about chromas)

not to mention wonky things like basing a system on post-game mastery grades which are often very skewed towards certain roles (junglers get fucked like every game) or just dumb (you get an A for going 3 0 9 or something). i get the feeling since it's randomized it won't be abused but that's also something to think about, for rito at least

i bet it's nice for new players and it's louder and shinier than just making a better economy and adjusting prices/ip gains or introducing some sort of ip/mastery points -> rp conversion, but i don't like obtuse systems that kind of feel like gambling

i was mostly ok with mystery chests because they were time limited and mostly gift only. yeah you could cheat and gift yourself with a smurf account but even then there was a buying limit so you wouldn't be super dumb and waste all your money like that (and most likely to fight ppl abusing gifting). i still didn't like it much but things like mystery gift trading and generally giving gifts is nice and it's a positive thing to have so i gave it a pass

but this i just really don't like, it sounds like an overly complicated thing. wanna help new players? make champions cheaper, give them more free ip boosts, give them free rentals, whatever. want to reward long time players? just give them free skin/champion vouchers

might be less fancy but whatever, i actually liked that about riot, no shitty chests, no palette swaps and if you wanted to buy overpriced virtual vanity shit, then you're gonna get like the very best overpriced virtual vanity shit there is.

will wait until there's more info to say if i 100% hate it, specially since i think there's some stuff like making it a limited number of chests (which is both to stop the grind but also to limit the amount of free shit you can get) and being able to reroll the shit that you don't like that i think is pretty ok, but these things make me feel like i wish there was an option to opt out entirely

not everything has to be gamified

edit: btw keys are also sold so they're also inserting (more) gambling into the game

Quonny

That's a personal issue that I'm sure 99% of players don't share. That's not to diminish your opinion, but it's very much in the minority.

These systems, as long as they're implemented correctly and add instead of replace, help keep players invested. The crafting, based on the limited information we have, seems to add, not replace. You can still buy whatever skins you want. You're not missing anything with this system, it's just a way to get a skin or other cosmetic without paying, something that is currently impossible.

Now, if Riot goes and says "Well, this skin is EXCLUSIVE to this chest and you only have a 20% chance to get it!", then yes, we have a problem.

It's only gambling if you actually pay for the keys, but since you can get keys for free its just a neat little bonus and a way to get cosmetics for just playing the game which rewards people who play a lot.

I dunno, I just don't understand what you dislike about it but eh opinions and shit.

PICK INTENT
Before the ban phase begins, you can pick the champ you plan to play, highlighting it for your teammates to see. Pick intent helps your team sort out potential comps and avoid teammate-harming bans.

This is the one thing I wanted them to steal from HotS/DotA. About fucking time.

BANS
We're distributing drafting responsibilities amongst all players. A new ban phase distributes one ban each to the players who receive the last three picks, while the top two have a shot at securing priority champs for the team. For clarity: bans still happen before picks.

Good, good. This is a good change.

CHESTS WHERE?
Later in the new season, you'll be able to earn Mastery Chests and Keys as you team up and compete with your friends. Upon acquiring (and combining) the two, you'll be able to unlock the chest, earning loot items ranging from 7-day rentals to permanent skins and champions.

You'll have the chance to randomly pick up Keys and Key Fragments after each win. Playing with your friends will result in getting a few more keys than going solo and, if you've got the right kind of friends, wins should be easier to achieve as well! Once you pick up enough Key Fragments, you can convert them into full Keys at the crafting table.
Mastery Chests will be tied to your post-game grades, which have always been a combination of your personal and team performance for that game. We're still settling on the number of chests we'll give out this way over the year (so it's not a grind and we can get a clear view of the ecosystem we're creating), but we'll also be exploring ways to give out chests (and keys) for other modes and events.

For those who just want to pick up loot at a significant discount, we'll also be offering unique types of chests in the store that are guaranteed to be good deals! Finally, if the rewards you earn aren't something you see yourself ever using, you can swap them for other content via the crafting table.

Hm. I dunno if the Diana/Robot Leona stuck in the picture during this description are 'modified' from their original releases, but this will probably lead into hats and shit. I remember the survey from a couple months ago where Riot was asking whether people would buy shit like hats or sunglasses.

I can't believe they're taking a maple story route with 'rentals' though. That's just tacky.

The current League of Legends client has been your companion for the past six years, but it's in sore need of an upgrade. We've been working hard to make that happen, and beginning during the 2016 Season we'll invite community members to test and give feedback on a work-in-progress alpha version of the updated client. We have a limited number of slots open in the alpha client construction crew, but we'll make room for as many folks as we can.

Once the alpha is complete, the updated client will be defined primarily by three things:

Finally.

The leona and the Diana have a weird glow about them, and small cosmetic things like that are nice I think.

I'd like for there to be a little more customization outside of just skins.

patchday

I wish the client were integrated into the game engine like how Dota / Hots / etc does. I never been a fan of this external client.

Are they going to look into loading times? For goodness sake it's just 1 map. If it was just one game client (like Dota), they could preload the Summoner's Rift. This way when we start matches we don't have to wait on that "guy" that takes like 5-10 mins to load the map

Quonny

Can someone explain or give me a link explaining the new drop system.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/na/site/2016-season-update/champion-mastery.html

Very few details. Basically, playing the game gives you fragments and keys when you win. Combine fragments into a full key. Also, based on your post-game grades, you'll earn chests. These are limited to a set amount and are given out in a variety of ways they're exploring. For example, play URF mode when that comes out, get a chest. Win 20 games in an LCS season, get a chest. Play three games during the Harrowing, get a chest. Stuff like that. Those are just potential examples I made up. Riot wants to limit the number of chests you can get and tie them to events and champion mastery.

Combine a chest and a key, you get either a booster, a skin, or a champion. Or maybe even hats or Chromas. They haven't specified.

The leona and the Diana have a weird glow about them, and small cosmetic things like that are nice I think.

I'd like for there to be a little more customization outside of just skins.

This is definitely what they're leading into them. So that confirms my theory of them adding loot based drops through chests. Keys and chests themselves will probably be purchasable through real money as well as slowly earning them over time. Those ability skins they had mock ups of during the survey and custom death animations will probably also come from this.

I mean, it's not a bad thing. But they're hoping to create a 'endorphin loop', where a trickle of new things to mess around with post matches will create a stronger addiction to the game. For some this will be great, like I wouldn't mind collecting this shit.

Hrm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom