• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT10| Botlane Was A Mistake, It's Nothing But Thresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banzai

I heard you guys like lewd drawings of LoL characters...
3ZAbkF.png

Drew that myself to get 2 RP from Riot support. Yes, I'm that talented.

Leezard

I'm surprised that Riot hasn't taken the opportunity yet to completely remove jungle items altogether. The reasons for their introduction in S3 largely don't exist anymore. They could shift the machete/talisman jungle sustain passives over to smite and do away with the whole concept in a heartbeat.

Then the smite becomes such an attractive option for laners and we'll be back to the same problem similar to Cinderhulk top and Runeglaive Mid.

zkylon

zkylewd
Coolio. Matches on more days of the week now?
there'll be some overlapping, but it's still thursday through sunday

So, na gonna get more games? ouch.

I get that nalcs is more popular and that's why they had saturday/sunday already but I'd still expect the same number of games.

eu both having games on thursdays/fridays and getting less games might hurt. If there's already gonna be overlapping streams since NA plays on fridays why not get overlapping streams on saturday as well.
yeah, the reasoning is pretty shakey but tbh i don't mind so much. bo3s are serious time commitments so i'm fine with bo2s, it just feels weird that it's different across regions

I'm sure, but she'll probably be a lot less forgiving to play, which is fine for strong champs I spose
i wouldn't say a lot, her break range on her ult is still 1000 range, so it's not gonna change that much

drawkcaB

Then the smite becomes such an attractive option for laners and we'll be back to the same problem similar to Cinderhulk top and Runeglaive Mid.

What, fuck no? What are you on about? Why in the world would a laner want Smite with its sustain passives that only work when damaging monsters?

The reason Cinderhulk and Runeglaive made appearances in the solo lanes is because those items were overpowered as fuck. Cinderhulk used to deal way more damage and provide much more %bonus health than at present and Runeglaive had an AoE proc that could be abused by spammy mids, particularly AP Ezreal. Once those items were brought in line they disappeared from the solo lanes with no meaningful changes to Smite.

Jungle items do a poor job of fixing a problem that no longer exists.

kenbo

Wtf how is eulcs a bo2 and nalcs a bo3 even fair

Wtf that's just plain bullshit

Eulcs gets bo2 because they do it in soccer and nalcs gets bo3 because they like to avoid ties

Lol ok

Trickster

U need at least 200 ranked games on a champ b4 u can call it your main.

Why do people in LoL use the term main? I never see people in the dota 2 community do it, and it doesn't make sense to me to have a "main" in a game like this where it's hard to always select the same character becaues of team compositions.

jerd

Why do people in LoL use the term main? I never see people in the dota 2 community do it, and it doesn't make sense to me to have a "main" in a game like this where it's hard to always select the same character becaues of team compositions.

There are tons of one trick ponies in solo q from bronze to challenger. Comps are very flexible and there are no unwinnable matchups in the game. Some people just enjoy one champ vastly more than the rest and would rather only play them.

Idk anything about dota but from my understanding there are true hard counters where that doesn't really exist in league. Champion knowledge and skill can more often than not trump a bad matchup

kenbo

Is BO2 worse than BO3? I prefer BO2, to be honest.

More game experience?
More screen time?

NA basically plays 50% more games and gets 50% more screen time

EU is just being treated like a b-league at this point with their shitty thursday/friday timing and less games

cool

More game experience?
More screen time?

NA basically plays 50% more games and gets 50% more screen time

EU is just being treated like a b-league at this point with their shitty thursday/friday timing and less games

cool

please

both regions decided on formats for their own region. Esports wants to test both out. Weekend slot makes sense for Bo3 cos there are more games

people have been asking for bo2/bo3 for ages. even in the Asian leagues it's different regionally.

It's not about making EU into a b-tier league or whatever other narrative people want to come up with that is almost 100% incorrect

jerd

Nick Allen said:
Riot EU has its own League Ops team and makes decisions that they think will be best for their region. It isn't NA making decisions for EU.

Edit: Yeah what costy said

HowZatOZ

Banned
Killing Rift Herald no longer automatically grants Doom's Eve. Instead, Rift Herald now drops an Eye Relic on the ground for the killing team, granting Doom's Eve to the player that picks it up.
We Dota 2 now. Can we have red and blue do the same?

zkylon

zkylewd
We Dota 2 now. Can we have red and blue do the same?
that'd suck cos as a mid you'd have to walk all around the blue pit to grab the rune/relic/whatever

it'd also make it weird for steals. like say i lux ult ur blue buff and steal it, do i have to then go walk over to ur blue buff to get it lol?

tho i dunno how that works with current rift herald either, i'd imagine you automatically get the buff if you kill it and no one else is around you?

league doesn't have much of a x champion beats y so even if there's some bad matchups you can still pick whatever you want and do ok at other stages in the game

i also think people call themselves mains cos they like to identify themselves with their favorite champion. so i'd call myself an ori main even tho i play just as many viktor and lebonk games

jerd

For rift herald i think its just a necessary evil bc that thing does so much damage that its kinda hard to hand off

kenbo

please

both regions decided on formats for their own region. Esports wants to test both out. Weekend slot makes sense for Bo3 cos there are more games

people have been asking for bo2/bo3 for ages. even in the Asian leagues it's different regionally.

It's not about making EU into a b-tier league or whatever other narrative people want to come up with that is almost 100% incorrect

Edit: Yeah what costy said

Right, you say EU OPs chose Bo2 but that Bo3 makes sense on a weekend. EU LCS has always been on a weekday. Could the EU OPs team even decide to make it Bo3?

Was Bo3 even a "choice" the EU OPs team could make?

What reasoning did the EU OPs team have? Are they hamstrung by poor scheduled day and their lower resourcing?

Did the EU OPs team consult teams? Why would EU teams want even less screentime compared to NA teams? EU is already a sponsorship crapshoot compared to NA

Did they consult the EU viewership? Do EU viewers want to see less EU games compared to NA games? Or did they consult global viewership and ask if NA+EU wanted to see more NA games?

OR perhaps, lets say the EU OPs team really chose to go for Bo2. This PR is terrible at communicating that. The justification for Bo2 is beacuse "we do that in soccer (imeanfootballlol). Did the direct marketing team honestly think people would be OK with it such that they can just joke around? I dont know why the EU OPs team chose to do this. They're just kidding around in this PR. What a mess

Oh and seriously? If you're just 'playtesting'? it's more scientifically sound to subject both NA and EU to bo3 and bo2. So why not just do that? weeks 1-5 are a bo2, and weeks 5-10 are bo3 since apparently we need time to ramp up

kenbo

yeah its that ridiculous that i can be reasonable and annoyed

dragon puppies dont make up for the fact that the conversation is null around the entire topic

if im gonna be honest the whole round robin formats pretty dumb for me

if anything there should have been way more tournaments instead of a set circuit which breeds bad habits and complacency within regions (hint, hint china.)

yeah its that ridiculous that i can be reasonable and annoyed

dragon puppies dont make up for the fact that the conversation is null around the entire topic

what's the point of having a conversation of you when you're letting kneejerk reactions cloud any reasonable thought. Nobody is going to convince you otherwise. You're even insinuating conspiracy theories on NA competitive favouritism.

If you guys want me to have a dialogue with you on this stuff in any form you need to chill, otherwise I'll go back to lurking like I did in the first few weeks after I joined. You're not facilitating any discussion at all.

kenbo

if anything there should have been way more tournaments instead of a set circuit which breeds bad habits and complacency within regions (hint, hint china.)

its not about what is the best format

it's the fact that theres no transparency

shitty PR with shitty "football has ties so its ok//america doesnt understand ties" reasoning (hint: football doesn't really have ties)

People will need to know why NA gets more viewtime, gets a better timeslot

what's the point of having a conversation of you when you're letting kneejerk reactions cloud any reasonable though. Nobody is going to convince you otherwise. You're even insinuating conspiracy theories on NA competitive favouritism.

If you guys want me to have a dialogue with you on this stuff in any form you need to chill, otherwise I'll go back to lurking like I did in the first few weeks after I joined. You're not facilitating any discussion at all.

Right, you say EU OPs chose Bo2 but that Bo3 makes sense on a weekend. EU LCS has always been on a weekday. Could the EU OPs team even decide to make it Bo3?

Was Bo3 even a "choice" the EU OPs team could make?

What reasoning did the EU OPs team have? Are they hamstrung by poor scheduled day and their lower resourcing?

Did the EU OPs team consult teams? Why would EU teams want even less screentime compared to NA teams? EU is already a sponsorship crapshoot compared to NA

Did they consult the EU viewership? Do EU viewers want to see less EU games compared to NA games? Or did they consult global viewership and ask if NA+EU wanted to see more NA games?

OR perhaps, lets say the EU OPs team really chose to go for Bo2. This PR is terrible at communicating that. The justification for Bo2 is beacuse "we do that in soccer (imeanfootballlol). Did the direct marketing team honestly think people would be OK with it such that they can just joke around? I dont know why the EU OPs team chose to do this. They're just kidding around in this PR. What a mess

Oh and seriously? If you're just 'playtesting'? it's more scientifically sound to subject both NA and EU to bo3 and bo2. So why not just do that? weeks 1-5 are a bo2, and weeks 5-10 are bo3 since apparently we need time to ramp up
Do I mention competitive favourtism?

We don't know the answer to any of this + there is a contradiction that EU OPs makes the choice and yet objectively, Bo3 is more suited to weekends

I mentioned competitive favourtism in the first point - because that's what it could really look like given the lack of clarity/communication over everything

Yeah the league pro play is kinda weird, I much prefer cs go way of doing it.

zkylon

zkylewd
there's no mystery boko, na gets more views so that's why they're on the weekend. that's probably some sort of a self fulfilling prophecy but na got the personalities and those carry eyeballs in a way that europe doesn't, at least not as much

the bo2s vs bo3s is weird, i remember players like lemonnation, xpecial and aphromoo saying they'd prefer bo2s, so i have no idea why they went this way. the whole soccer thing is absolutely hilarious but in both cases it's an upgrade from before so i don't worry much

best thing about this whole thing is the two-streams so i don't have to watch boring teams like tsm play

Quonny

Like we'll see more than one or two 2-1 series in a week. They're gonna be stomps for everything but the middle four teams.

50% more games, heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom