• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT10| Botlane Was A Mistake, It's Nothing But Thresh

Status
Not open for further replies.
its not about what is the best format

it's the fact that theres no transparency

shitty PR with shitty "football has ties so its ok//america doesnt understand ties" reasoning (hint: football doesn't really have ties)

People will need to know why NA gets more viewtime, gets a better timeslot

Do I mention competitive favourtism?

We don't know the answer to any of this + there is a contradiction that EU OPs makes the choice and yet objectively, Bo3 is more suited to weekends

I mentioned competitive favourtism in the first point - because that's what it could really look like given the lack of clarity/communication over everything

Why are you freaking out at me over this? I don't work in esports, I can't give you all those answers. I tried to give you some clearer context and dispel any ridiculous notion of competitive favouritism, since yes you did mention it in your first post.

You should direct those questions in a more reasonable, clear minded manner and send them on twitter or PM someone through Reddit (or whatever way you want to communicate with people) who does work in esports and can better answer your questions.

But before you do, chill the fuck out cos I wouldn't listen to you with the attitude you have right now.

kenbo

there's no mystery boko, na gets more views so that's why they're on the weekend. that's probably some sort of a self fulfilling prophecy but na got the personalities and those carry eyeballs in a way that europe doesn't, at least not as much

the bo2s vs bo3s is weird, i remember players like lemonnation, xpecial and aphromoo saying they'd prefer bo2s, so i have no idea why they went this way
but thats even worse zklyo

If NA gets a better timeslot because they're more popular

they will become more popular because they get more views due to the timeslot

Riot should care about fostering both their scenes rather then maximising it

bo3 v bo2 isn't an issue here because Riot are going with both. Its how they came up with that decision that is completely blank. A region cannot be predisposed to bo2 over bo3, and yet thats what we got.

Why are you freaking out at me over this? I don't work in esports, I can't give you all those answers. I tried to give you some clearer context and dispel any ridiculous notion of competitive favouritism, since yes you did mention it in your first post.

You should direct those questions in a more reasonable, clear minded manner and send them on twitter or PM someone through Reddit (or whatever way you want to communicate with people) who does work in esports and can better answer your questions.

But before you do, chill the fuck out cos I wouldn't listen to you with the attitude you have right now.
Sorry costy I don't mean to freak out at you

I just want to show that
- theres a lot of unanswered questions that call into question EU OPs ability to make choices
- that the PR was absolute shite
- that there's no transparency - we have no answers/we have no clue why this is good

Newt

Riot should care about fostering both there scenes rather then maximising it

bo3 v bo2 isn't an issue here because Riot are going with both. Its how they came up with that decision that is completely blank. A region cannot be predisposed to bo2 over bo3, and yet thats what we got.
It wasn't a joint decision though...

I still dont get his Q right, prepare your eyes

Sugghh.png

The blue ward is quite annoying, its everywhere

zkylon

zkylewd

Riot should care about fostering both their scenes rather then maximising it
i'm not saying better or worse, just saying that it's pretty evident that the reason na gets the better schedule is cos more ppl care about na than eu

yeah the whole soccer thing is dumb af and it just sounds like the most arbitrary thing ever

but that's just like riot to casually give really dumb answers even when they have actually good reasons they choose not to share who knows why lol

Best of three = 3/5 best of two = 2/3 wins.
lmao noot

Snowman

It sounds like they were worried more games might not actually be better for the scene due to burn out and diminishing returns etc.

They clearly didn't just do this for the sake of it. I'm sure it was thought through, and they have all the numbers and we don't.

zkylon

zkylewd
let's maybe not grill costy about something he didn't have anything to do with and he might not have full information of

It's just that he's saying two different things.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

maybe I'm misinterpreting you.

I thought you were saying NA made the decision for both regions when that isn't the case.

NA decided for NA, EU decided for EU. How each team decided what format they wanted I don't know, but each region made their own decision.

And in terms of weekend slots, I would imagine it's a case of logistics. The region with more games gets played on the weekend.

kenbo

It's just that he's saying two different things.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

Anyways, we should probably just see what happens this first split.

Yeah he means that he knows it wasn't a joint decision.

he may have misread/misunderstood your comment.

zkylon

zkylewd
tbh given how many more pros i've heard say they prefer bo2 over bo3 than other way around, i wouldn't be surprised if both regions wanted bo2s and na just got "screwed" with bo3s just cos someone had to try bo3s

Newt

maybe I'm misinterpreting you.

I thought you were saying NA made the decision for both regions when that isn't the case.

NA decided for NA, EU decided for EU. How each team decided what format they wanted I don't know, but each region made their own decision.

And in terms of weekend slots, I would imagine it's a case of logistics. The region with more games gets played on the weekend.
Yeah, both regions decided their format separately. That's what I meant by "not a decision made jointly".

Besides the whole NA vs EU drama - NA wins as usual - why are these changes only rolling out in the summer split lol

It makes no sense, ok you want to test them out so why the hell are you rolling them out in the second half of the season when you're not gonna make anymore changes until the next season? Unless Riot intends to change that mid-split which is even worse.

Quonny

Besides the whole NA vs EU drama - NA wins as usual - why are these changes only rolling out in the summer split lol

It makes no sense, ok you want to test them out so why the hell are you rolling them out in the second half of the season when you're not gonna make anymore changes until the next season? Unless Riot intends to change that mid-split which is even worse.

Lots and lots of productions goes into each season, I'd guess. You've got salaries for Riot employees, the need to get and train new casters (they're basically gonna need 2-3x more casters), and even things like venue planning, etc. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if player and team contracts got bumped up a bit because they'll be playing more games.

They probably wanted it ready for this season, thought they could do it (they've been "training" casters with the Challenger series, etc), but want to make sure it's perfect. By announcing it this far in advance they can catch any snags.

broadcast needs to ramp up. Each region needs a second studio, 2 productions being run instead of 1 so potentially double the production staff needed. Those have to be hired (will take months, extensive hiring process), need equipment set up etc.

There's a lot that goes into a broadcast like LCS, doubling it for each region will take time.

Quonny

I just kinda expected the logistics in this to be resolved by the time it was announced, I guess

If I had to guess, I would guess that they wanted it to happen this season, wanted to make an announcement a few weeks after Worlds, but after they realized it wasn't going to happen they went to Plan B.

Fracas

#fuckonami
broadcast needs to ramp up. Each region needs a second studio, 2 productions being run instead of 1 so potentially double the production staff needed. Those have to be hired (will take months, extensive hiring process), need equipment set up etc.

There's a lot that goes into a broadcast like LCS, doubling it for each region will take time.

Riot needs analysts/e-sports people starting this summer

I graduate in May with a journalism degree

HMMMM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom