• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT10| Botlane Was A Mistake, It's Nothing But Thresh

Status
Not open for further replies.
ghost try not to meme out new people, all they're asking is a few champion suggestions to start out

btw i got my avatar out of probably the best lux fanart i've ever seen

i wish they used this for the splashart, it's fucking fantastic
Just change the random monster in the background to the tree hec skin and it would be perfect for league.

That's pretty much the idea, yeah. LW is supposed to be a tank killing item so the change to bonus pen is long overdue. It's something you're supposed to buy to counter stacking, not in general because it makes you kill everything better.

Also assassins aren't supposed to be bursting down tanks so if the item doesn't work for them? Good. Plus there's so much flat pen in the game right now that it doesn't matter anyways.

I don't understand Diana's damage. On other mages I feel like I'm losing too much damage if I skip the big ticket AP items. But with her I'm still deleting ppl in half a second with just a Nashor's Tooth/Abyssal. I know her passive has huge base and scaling, but it's honestly not needed most of the time.

lol, I have a friend who's been playing a lot of Zilean support recently. He builds full AP and straight up carries games. The other night he solo killed 3 enemies trying to do Baron by chucking bombs over the wall. That champion is broken in the right hands.

She's a much better laner than any of them and late game she can snap a finger and kill any squishy out of position

She also has a very fast, very long range stun that if mastered can lead to excellent picks like any Thresh or Blitz hook would

Thing is, Sona on a support budget isn't a lot of power, so you're relying on utility. And that is the problem, her utility is easily countered.

Long range stun are nice and all, until you realise it's a stun that can be cleansed by qss/mikaels. And that's an ult, so once you cleanse it, Sona really had nothing going for her.

Honestly, what they should do is rework her kit entirety and double down on her auras to that of Soraka (if Soraka is the Queen of healing, Sona should be the Queen of aura buffs) if it means her ult had to be entirely changed to compensate for that.

Honestly, I like the idea of her ult being an AOE zone control where allies get increased strength and enemies get weaker while in that zone. It cements her as the Queen of Aura Buffs.

Give her some soft cc in her normal abilities like Soraka's E and just double down on Sona's aura buffs

Nekofrog

Banned
zCeFYcC.png

i dont post match results much anymore, but holy shit this game.

rex and i were playing 2v8. zed died early and died often. fed every lane. don't let his kills fool you. lucian would constantly die over extending, and brand would die because he'd try to save him.

rex and i were so far ahead early on that we were able to hold on until a critical point where they tried a baron with no tanks and rex and I just murdered them legit 2v5. got what should've been my first irelia penta there but the timer took too long and i didnt get it, it was a triple and 2 additional :(

game would've been lost if rex and i weren't so far ahead so early on. probably woulda quit league for a week if we lost that game lol

i wish they used this for the splashart, it's fucking fantastic

Same. The hand looks a bit off but otherwise it's a massive improvement on the current one.

So much digitial art has that same style now similar to the new League splash art style. It all looks very sakimichan. Riot must be raking it in nowadays surely so it'd be great if these kind of community efforts could be legally acquired or bought by them if enough support was garnered for them to be changed. It means more artists get their work spotlighted too.

faridmon

Thing is, Sona on a support budget isn't a lot of power, so you're relying on utility. And that is the problem, her utility is easily countered.

Long range stun are nice and all, until you realise it's a stun that can be cleansed by qss/mikaels. And that's an ult, so once you cleanse it, Sona really had nothing going for her.

Honestly, what they should do is rework her kit entirety and double down on her auras to that of Soraka (if Soraka is the Queen of healing, Sona should be the Queen of aura buffs) if it means her ult had to be entirely changed to compensate for that.

Honestly, I like the idea of her ult being an AOE zone control where allies get increased strength and enemies get weaker while in that zone. It cements her as the Queen of Aura Buffs.

Give her some soft cc in her normal abilities like Soraka's E and just double down on Sona's aura buffs

I disagree on the notion that her ability is that reductive. Ult can be cleansed, but that is one summon/item down in a TF, Also if you are targeting one champ, you are not being effective.

Sona, is effective when build as a hybrid Utility/AP champ. She is kind of weak as a utility champ yes, but that is not what she is for, my build is usually, Boots (mobi), Locket, Wards, Frost Queen, Lich Bane and Ardent Senser. That should give you enough utility to supp your ADC, while dishing huge AP and have 40 CDR. and you know what? Contrary what everyone might say, it works most of the time and i tend do well with that build. She does buff allies with Q and shield them with W. Not very much, but really helps especially when roaming and helping your jungler when he is stuck in around the jungle area.

She is a limited champ, no doubt. Her peel is fairly weak and one note and can't carrry game as effective as many other supps, but what she got going can be very powerful depending on how its used.

and people keep saying her lane is where she is strongets and her late game is fairly weak, am having the opposite effect, where I am basically super effective late game and fairly squishy and careful early game.

If you're in Q range to actually use said AP then you should be pretty much instantly dead against any half competent team. W and E are still somewhat useful late yeah, but they're minor boosts. Without your ult you're not a threat.

faridmon

In TF, the range of Q is just perfect. In fact I play as a bait where people do target me, and all they are doing is just be a target for the adc and dmg heavy champs.

Also having tanky Runes helps alot.

I hate this game. It's way more interesting in this new season but it just infuriates me how games go now.

Last game I was Shen against a Fioria. In 12 mins she was 0/3/0. I had sunfire and ninja tabs and a ruby crystal. She has a long sword, a tear and boots. We went against each other and she won. My problem isn't that she won, it's that she kept winning and pretty soon out cs'd me. With only 1 dmg item she out-traded me. Then when she got hydra she outcsd me.

It was infuriating. An early game champ, lost lane and came back. It would be fine if she outplayed me, but like a lot of games I've played this pre-season, it felt like she just spiked ahead of me. I've had this against a Renek that went 0/4/1 against me and by the end of the game was 21/7/11.

Does this seem wrong to anyone? In every other season the early game was when champs either won their lane or lost and this outcome seemed to heavily influence the rest of the game. It was about solo skill and map awareness Now it seems like Riot has decided that certain champs are just going to be strong no matter what. No matter what their early game is, they are going to be stronger in the mid.

Other champs that lost their early and still dominated include TF, MF and Iloia. I don't really like playing the game anymore. Hell even the changes in Season 5 didn't annoy me as much as the changes in this one.

How are you guys dealing with it?

faridmon

Fiora is like that. You really have to dodge that W or else she will win that fight.
The thing is, this pre-season seem very forgiving in terms of comebacks, especially in top lanes. What you really want is heavy CC champ and/or a sustain champ in order to do good in top lane. Also, as top laner what you need is just farm. If you are 3/0 ahead, don't bother killing and keep your focus on TF later on. Fiora is uselss in TF so keep that in mind

Iloia is a lane bully and she is strong no matter what, her Ult is bullshit and she seems kind of broken but give it a patch or to and she will be manageable.

I don't play top lane that much so maybe I am talking rubbish.

If you're playing someone like Shen don't expect early game advantages to carry you forever, specially against hyperfighters like Fiora who will outscale you 1v1 eventually. Take those 3 kills to other lanes so you can actually win instead of just allowing the enemy to bounce back.

How long until Riot fixes the ranked system so that if someone is AFK/dc'd before first blood or never connects after some period of time, the game automatically doesn't count (and immediately allowing everyone to leave and re-queue)? It just seems like such a basic thing that has persisted since ranked play was added to the game. I just don't understand it.

Also, why aren't there stronger consequences for multiple AFKs within a window of time? Dota has done some good things here with a separate queue for frequent AFK/abandoners that you have to win your way out of in order to rejoin the normal players.

Has there been a reason given for this? Is it related to the Adobe Air base the game currently runs from? Some other technical or structural reason that currently prevents the ability to do these sorts of things?

How long until Riot fixes the ranked system so that if someone is AFK/dc'd before first blood or never connects after some period of time, the game automatically doesn't count (and immediately allowing everyone to leave and re-queue)? It just seems like such a basic thing that has persisted since ranked play was added to the game. I just don't understand it.

Also, why aren't there stronger consequences for multiple AFKs within a window of time? Dota has done some good things here with a separate queue for frequent AFK/abandoners that you have to win your way out of in order to rejoin the normal players.

Has there been a reason given for this? Is it related to the Adobe Air base the game currently runs from? Some other technical or structural reason that currently prevents the ability to do these sorts of things?
They've already confirmed an anti-DC feature like Dota is coming.

The game has ditched Adobe Air a long time ago, current client is HTML5 IIRC

Oh excellent. If it's coming with the new client then I'll assume it was a technical issue related to the hand off between the air client and the match client.

Oh it's not using Air anymore? Well I'll still assume it's something related to the handoff unless someone has specifrics. And are there any plans to add additional consequence for serial AFKers?

Leezard

The game has ditched Adobe Air a long time ago, current client is HTML5 IIRC
Not really. The client, that is out of game, is still air. The launcher /patcher is currently in html5, not air. We're getting the rest of the client replaced next year .

It's worth noting that the game itself is not in air and has never been, since that is a common misconception.

I thought that they had ditched Air completely already

Which is really weird since I have more issues with the launcher than with the actual client lel

I disagree on the notion that her ability is that reductive. Ult can be cleansed, but that is one summon/item down in a TF, Also if you are targeting one champ, you are not being effective.

Sona, is effective when build as a hybrid Utility/AP champ. She is kind of weak as a utility champ yes, but that is not what she is for, my build is usually, Boots (mobi), Locket, Wards, Frost Queen, Lich Bane and Ardent Senser. That should give you enough utility to supp your ADC, while dishing huge AP and have 40 CDR. and you know what? Contrary what everyone might say, it works most of the time and i tend do well with that build. She does buff allies with Q and shield them with W. Not very much, but really helps especially when roaming and helping your jungler when he is stuck in around the jungle area.

She is a limited champ, no doubt. Her peel is fairly weak and one note and can't carrry game as effective as many other supps, but what she got going can be very powerful depending on how its used.

and people keep saying her lane is where she is strongets and her late game is fairly weak, am having the opposite effect, where I am basically super effective late game and fairly squishy and careful early game.

Yep. Same thing except for get the sightstone upgrade instead of FQC. Build that on my mids. That extra item slot helps with utility. And get Banner as well.

Not really. The client, that is out of game, is still air. The launcher /patcher is currently in html5, not air. We're getting the rest of the client replaced next year .

It's worth noting that the game itself is not in air and has never been, since that is a common misconception.

right. i was reffering to the client that we chat in and buy stuff through, not the game engine or whatever we should call it.

That's what leaverbuster is for

I'm not familiar with leaverbuster. How does it work and is it considered generally effective? If so then I guess the new client will address the remainder of my concerns (ranked leavers/abondoners/afkers from the beginning).

Will the new client also give them the opportunity to create a more robust spectate feature? Dota 2 has been sitting on that throne since 2012 and keeps getting better in that regard. While I remain limited to 5 matches of choice to watch in the League client. Along with looking at friends. I also discovered you can watch matches of people on Challenger leaderboards if you right-click on their names and happen to be playing. Not sure if that's true of all leaderboard levels or not.

faridmon

Yep. Same thing except for get the sightstone upgrade instead of FQC. Build that on my mids. That extra item slot helps with utility. And get Banner as well.

Yeah, I always wonder where do I get the extra item slots because FQC is a must if you are chasing or peeling/escaping.

I should try building Banner more often, I just hate active items that require clicking on specific champs.

zkylon

zkylewd
Same. The hand looks a bit off but otherwise it's a massive improvement on the current one.

So much digitial art has that same style now similar to the new League splash art style. It all looks very sakimichan. Riot must be raking it in nowadays surely so it'd be great if these kind of community efforts could be legally acquired or bought by them if enough support was garnered for them to be changed. It means more artists get their work spotlighted too.

sakimichan did sona's default splash so i guess things came full circle

ardent censer is a garbage item

get zekes at least if you want ap+cdr

I hate this game. It's way more interesting in this new season but it just infuriates me how games go now.

Last game I was Shen against a Fioria. In 12 mins she was 0/3/0. I had sunfire and ninja tabs and a ruby crystal. She has a long sword, a tear and boots. We went against each other and she won. My problem isn't that she won, it's that she kept winning and pretty soon out cs'd me. With only 1 dmg item she out-traded me. Then when she got hydra she outcsd me.

It was infuriating. An early game champ, lost lane and came back. It would be fine if she outplayed me, but like a lot of games I've played this pre-season, it felt like she just spiked ahead of me. I've had this against a Renek that went 0/4/1 against me and by the end of the game was 21/7/11.

Does this seem wrong to anyone? In every other season the early game was when champs either won their lane or lost and this outcome seemed to heavily influence the rest of the game. It was about solo skill and map awareness Now it seems like Riot has decided that certain champs are just going to be strong no matter what. No matter what their early game is, they are going to be stronger in the mid.

Other champs that lost their early and still dominated include TF, MF and Iloia. I don't really like playing the game anymore. Hell even the changes in Season 5 didn't annoy me as much as the changes in this one.

you're dueling fiora early game as shen, even if you're ahead you're fighting a champion with 4 dueling abilities when you have 3 and if she parries your taunt then you have nothing. you said it would be fine if she outplayed you, well she kinda had to outplay you to come back from 0/3 lane. you 100% messed up that lane if you let her kill you multiple times, specially if she was buying a tear lol

this year, there's not gonna be a prisoners island like in doto but they'll just cancel queue if not everyone can connect (and punish the leavers, ofc).

also league is not made on adobe air lmao

I thought that they had ditched Air completely already

Which is really weird since I have more issues with the launcher than with the actual client lel
yeah, still adobe air

which is perfectly fine cos adobe air is cool and none of league's client problems are related to that but just rito's really poor coding.

i feel like rito is in that situation from the friends episode that phoebe's on a plane saying something's wrong with the phalanges and the flight attendant is like "there is no phalange" and ppl go like "wtf there's no phalanges?!?" and finally to calm everyone down since people are idiots the flight attendants go like "don't worry ppl we put up like 3 extra new phalanges just in case!!" and everyone's relieved

that's league's community about adobe air, someone yelled adobe air is the reason league sucks and nobody knows wtf they're talking about and panics about random crap and now rito is being like "we 100% are not gonna have adobe air you guys!!"

i feel like rito is in that situation from the friends episode that phoebe's on a plane saying something's wrong with the phalanges and the flight attendant is like "there is no phalange" and ppl go like "wtf there's no phalanges?!?" and finally to calm everyone down since people are idiots the flight attendants go like "don't worry ppl we put up like 3 extra new phalanges just in case!!" and everyone's relieved

that's league's community about adobe air, someone yelled adobe air is the reason league sucks and nobody knows wtf they're talking about and panics about random crap
This is League's community about like

95% of things

patchday

play Legend of Porro King or go jg/supp so you dont have to feel pressured to win lane (as support, I blame adc normally if we get run over). I did go Top Gnar yesterday against fizz. He killed more players but I won my lane by simply taking CS and knocking down all the top lane towers while he was running amok torturing my teammates. we got an easy win tho

drawkcaB

play Legend of Porro King or go jg/supp so you dont have to feel pressured to win lane (as support, I blame adc normally if we get run over). I did go Top Gnar yesterday against fizz. He killed more players but I won my lane by simply taking CS and knocking down all the top lane towers while he was running amok torturing my teammates. we got an easy win tho

Yeah, just go out there and feel pressured to win every lane.

zkylon

zkylewd
exact details of the afk thing are not known right now but lyte been saying something like "if one of the players doesn't connect the loading screen will timeout back to queue and that person will get a penalty for leaving"

not sure if this applies to ppl dc'ing really early into the game and i'm pretty sure it doesn't mean that if someone afk's you'll just be able to leave and join another game like in doto (in that case just surrender and move on since unlike doto league isn't ridiculous about surrenders)

also no idea how penalties will work, it'll probably be similar to afks, as in, game cuts you a break if it's once in a while but if you're dc'ing every week then you're gonna get banned

something like that

lol. which is exactly what I was referring to.
?

league is kind of dumb with names for its programs, so here it goes:
- launcher/patcher: thing that opens when you launch league, it checks for patches, shows news and has that big LAUNCH button that boots up the client. built on html5 which is why it has fancy html-like webpages for like free champions and whatnot. this works fine, no issues with it (outside of it being separated from the client i guess)
- client: for some reason this is called client, but it's basically the matchmaking program or whatever. you do runes and masteries and the shop from here, and it's built on adobe air and some other things i'm not much aware of. the store is like a web browser thing afaik. this is what's really iffy cos it's dated-looking, unresponsive, not very well organized and generally just a pain to use. once you finish up champion select it hides in the background and launches the
- game client: loading screen + the game itself, what with the minions and turrets and so on. this is for the most part ok, is built on a propietary engine coded in c++ and i think it has scripting in their own language based on lua or something. this also has tons of problems but it's seen steady improvement over the years and will continue to get improved this way. we probably won't see a source 2-like scenario in a logn time, if ever but just the slow rewriting of most systems until they're more sustainable and expandable and whatnot (as in getting rid of spaghetti code)

in doto "client" and "game client" are merged together (which i find really annoying) and the client part is much better because you can do dope shit like read guides and buy stuff mid-game or just try out champions or like change the game settings from outside a running game

patchday

Jungler doesn't have to win any lanes. Jg has a million diff things they need to do. It's up to top/mid/bot to win their own lanes. jg just roams and ganks.

You think the jungler felt responsible when Dyrus (TSM) lost his lane? LOL

drawkcaB

You think the jungler felt responsible when Dyrus (TSM) lost his lane? LOL

You think we're pros or something? This is solo queue, and yes if another player loses their lane they will often times blame the jungler. No role eats as much shit from teammates as the jungler, so the idea that's what you do to unwind and feel no pressure is ridiculous.

patchday

?

league is kind of dumb with names for its programs, so here it goes:
- launcher/patcher: thing that opens when you launch league, it checks for patches, shows news and has that big LAUNCH button that boots up the client. built on html5 which is why it has fancy html-like webpages for like free champions and whatnot. this works fine, no issues with it (outside of it being separated from the client i guess)
- client: for some reason this is called client, but it's basically the matchmaking program or whatever. you do runes and masteries and the shop from here, and it's built on adobe air and some other things i'm not much aware of. the store is like a web browser thing afaik. this is what's really iffy cos it's dated-looking, unresponsive, not very well organized and generally just a pain to use. once you finish up champion select it hides in the background and launches the
- game client: loading screen + the game itself, what with the minions and turrets and so on. this is for the most part ok, is built on a propietary engine coded in c++ and i think it has scripting in their own language based on lua or something. this also has tons of problems but it's seen steady improvement over the years and will continue to get improved this way. we probably won't see a source 2-like scenario in a logn time, if ever but just the slow rewriting of most systems until they're more sustainable and expandable and whatnot (as in getting rid of spaghetti code)

in doto "client" and "game client" are merged together (which i find really annoying) and the client part is much better because you can do dope shit like read guides and buy stuff mid-game or just try out champions or like change the game settings from outside a running game

Btw I love that new avatar. I agree with you I wish that was Lux splash art for that skin

----

Now in regards to the post. I think the names are standard. Client for the program running locally on the user's machine. Game Client represents the exe responsible for the actual gameplay

You drive a good point though in regards to being able to surf when the "client" is running.

After jungling for a while you just get used to the abuse and blame. Your perpetually treated like batman in the Dark Knight. What matters is the personal satisfaction you get from knowing you were the one pulling the strings and carrying the team, even if no one else remembers.

sakimichan did sona's default splash so i guess things came full circle

ardent censer is a garbage item

get zekes at least if you want ap+cdr

you're dueling fiora early game as shen, even if you're ahead you're fighting a champion with 4 dueling abilities when you have 3 and if she parries your taunt then you have nothing. you said it would be fine if she outplayed you, well she kinda had to outplay you to come back from 0/3 lane. you 100% messed up that lane if you let her kill you multiple times, specially if she was buying a tear lol

this year, there's not gonna be a prisoners island like in doto but they'll just cancel queue if not everyone can connect (and punish the leavers, ofc).

also league is not made on adobe air lmao

yeah, still adobe air

which is perfectly fine cos adobe air is cool and none of league's client problems are related to that but just rito's really poor coding.

that's league's community about adobe air, someone yelled adobe air is the reason league sucks and nobody knows wtf they're talking about and panics about random crap and now rito is being like "we 100% are not gonna have adobe air you guys!!"
Zekes depends on what my adc rushes and builds. If they rush crits to 100% get ardent.

And depends on team set up as well.

never buy ardent censor lol that item is legitimate garbage. i dont think any support has that as a core build when item slots are usually taken up by locket/mikaels

Btw,how much does ranking up now affect your provisional placements next season if at all? I actually may get to gold in the off season and I'm wondering if 6/10 or 7/10 placement matches will put me in high silver next year.

faridmon

Cerdent is actually great Sona, Heal (to 2 people) gives people extra dmg and heal them extra, works with Lockets shield as well (Gives extra dmg to everyone)

and its not active.

Fuck Active items.

Zekes depends on what my adc rushes and builds. If they rush crits to 100% get ardent.

And depends on team set up as well.

and this.

zkylon

zkylewd
stop suggesting things based on your experience cos seriously guys you don't know better

ardent censer is a terrible item that is never ever ever useful

buy locket, buy mikaels, buy zekes. those items are great on sona, nami, bard, whoever

Btw,how much does ranking up now affect your provisional placements next season if at all? I actually may get to gold in the off season and I'm wondering if 6/10 or 7/10 placement matches will put me in high silver next year.

your elo gets pulled back a little bit towards the average (which is silver 5 i think?). so if you're g1 you might end in g3 or g4 but you'll climb back up easily.

if you're gold 5 by the time the soft reset happens chances you're gonna end up on s1 or s2

patchday

After jungling for a while you just get used to the abuse and blame. Your perpetually treated like batman in the Dark Knight. What matters is the personal satisfaction you get from knowing you were the one pulling the strings and carrying the team, even if no one else remembers.

lol I love this post :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom