• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT10| Botlane Was A Mistake, It's Nothing But Thresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenai

It's a teaser, it's not supposed to be deep or tell whaat the character is, it's supposed to get people speculating.

I do agree with dimb that some videos have needed way more speculation than others.

I knew basically nothing mechanically about Tahm from his teaser, and if i didn't know his backstory it still wouldn't make sense today. This was also true of Kindred.

Vel'koz and Ekko made a lot more sense.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
you guys are in the minority though. If people didn't respond well to this stuff and find it engaging, I would imagine we wouldn't do it.

it's only one metric, but when this thing shoots to the top of r/all with a comment thread full of people being hyped and theorycrafting, it adds to the pre-launch stuff. People like to be teased and have content like this to discuss.
League of Legends is extraordinarily popular, and has one of the largest reddit userbases. Of course it's not really going to be surprising that there's heavy amounts of attention on a new champion release, but is any of that discussion or excitement even remotely meaningful? The speculation is so off base that clearly whatever clues or hints exist in the tease don't carry enough of a scent.

If these videos exist outside the game shouldn't they reach even further beyond the already captured audience? Just because the game is successful and has an enraptured player base interested in discussing new elements of the game that doesn't mean all these teasers are successful. I am not against "teasers". I just feel that there's room to create something more substantial.

Kenai

Wouldn't it be nice to maybe make a small in-game teaser of them doing something somewhere in the video prior to official reveal? Or maybe an animation of some of their real in-game moves like the Ekko stuff?

I'd like that.

Edit: As an example, I would have been a lot more hyped to see Ekko's clone following him or see Tahm eat an ally and that really wouldn't have spoiled everything. Speculation is fine with me but I can understand getting frustrated with almost totally baseless speculation since aesthetics do not consistently match mechanics in LoL (again, hi there Lam- I mean Kindred :) ).

dimb

vSAefLm.jpg

https://youtu.be/WbZCKZRic8w

pigeon

Banned
Wouldn't it be nice to maybe make a small in-game teaser of them doing something somewhere in the video prior to official reveal? Or maybe an animation of some of their real in-game moves like the Ekko stuff?

I'd like that.

Edit: As an example, I would have been a lot more hyped to see Ekko's clone following him or see Tahm eat an ally and that really wouldn't have spoiled everything. Speculation is fine with me but I can understand getting frustrated with almost totally baseless speculation since aesthetics do not consistently match mechanics in LoL (again, hi there Lam- I mean Kindred :) ).

The biggest challenge here is that the teasers are made by marketing and the champion design is made by, well, design. At the point that you kick off a promo with marketing it's very likely that abilities like these aren't even final as to design, much less final as to art and animation. So it'd be somewhat hazardous to try to be too direct about champion abilities because if they change close to launch you just paid an outside studio $5k for a video about a character that no longer exists.

patchday

I love varus but he is not a good adc. :( he's a little better mid where he can function as a long range poke and control champ.

I'm not even sure what to do to make him better tbh. It's been ages since I played him.

What are you talking bout has he fallen out of meta since LCS? For real this is going to piss me off if hes considered ass out of the blue. He was just fine when I started months ago (Granted I was super low mmr bacvk then lol). And he was just used to good effect by pros at LCS in a match or two (Season 5 LCS ?). Granted, the pros are pros and mere men like myself playing soloq cant compare.

[edit] http://na.op.gg/statistics/champion/ --- Varus is right below Kalista in overall win rate. Perhaps people expect him to be on Miss Fortune's level but that chick might be OP

I wish they'd stop making videos like this. They're just total flops. Completely meaningless without context and probably not very meaningful with context. Nothing about these cryptic videos really sends any message about the champion it's depicting. The champion should be able to sell its theme in game. Use the out of game stuff to deliver more personality or story.

I found the webpage teasers to be a waste since the whole suspense teasers was launched in holidays and no one of my friend noticed it I even didnt noticed it if wasnt from Gaf,

zkylon

zkylewd
I wish they'd stop making videos like this. They're just total flops. Completely meaningless without context and probably not very meaningful with context. Nothing about these cryptic videos really sends any message about the champion it's depicting. The champion should be able to sell its theme in game. Use the out of game stuff to deliver more personality or story.
i kind of agree that this video isn't too great but i'm pretty sure this must've been a low cost thing that's easy for them to slot in their schedule compared to something a lot more complex like the ekko video. i guess you could achieve more with a similar budget like with with that velkoz video, but i can see how not all champions need to be teased the same and at least this one tickles your imagination a bit more

in the end i feel like rito is just kind of inconsistent in how they deal with the whole thing, giving some champions like deadeye a shit ton of hype time, others like jinx really high production values and then randomly releasing champions like azir because who the fuck undersands riot lol

you guys are in the minority though. If people didn't respond well to this stuff and find it engaging, I would imagine we wouldn't do it.

it's only one metric, but when this thing shoots to the top of r/all with a comment thread full of people being hyped and theorycrafting, it adds to the pre-launch stuff. People like to be teased and have content like this to discuss.
the argument is that it could be a lot better scheduled and produced since we've been like two weeks of seeing random changes on champion pages and now we get a video that's kind of exactly that same thing?

it took too long and the payoff of this video was like "dude has a cool mask!" but that's not that meaningful i guess. in the kalista video you got to see bilgewater and follow her story a little bit, here it's some nondescript hot people getting sort of murdered and then cool mask and that's it. then like soda says, we're like "he turns people into trees?" and then you're like "not really", so it doesn't really create any interesting speculation because it's just some flashy red herrings while we wait for the actual reveal

that's the big difference between this guy and jinx, jinx got a lot of hype leading up to her reveal and then holy shit awesome music video

what's worse about this is that we got hyped thinking he was a rose petal shooting champion and now we know he's got a gun, so i feel like it kind of backfired lel

ehh. I guess I can take some blame since I hinted a lot it was a champion, and also certain things being made known by video data (sadface) probably gave away the surprise

but I mean people were still thinking it was a skin line or ads for animated splashes or something until the name stuff got out. The payoff would have been a lot better had it not, and people would have seen the reveal at the end of the video and been like "oh shit, it's a champion! also he looks creepy as fuck!" and then looked at visuals and tried to guess stuff

instead we got all that after the leaked shit.

I will be less overt with my teasing going forward. fwiw, this isn't a story video or anything. it's not meant to be. it's to show you what his kills look like to him and the beauty in them, to give you a little sense of what his mind is like

I didn't expect people to think he literally shot trees into, out of, or at people

JulianImp

Lulu's... okay, I guess. Too bad her ult lines appear to be little more than "get big!" and random screams, since made-up words like hugeify or her latin lines are a lot more in line with her childish and whimsical attitude.

pigeon

Banned
They literally created a new game mode and did the entire lore of Shurima in videos for Azir, like, did you forget? Now that's a bummer for the marketing team!

dimb

I did not have a very extreme reaction to the teaser. I just wish the lead up did more for me and I feel like there are ways to improve how the reveals are handled, which feels a little funny on the 13508th champion release.

Some of these JP voices make me appreciate the NA voice work a lot more than I realized.

zkylon

zkylewd
ehh. I guess I can take some blame since I hinted a lot it was a champion, and also certain things being made known by video data (sadface) probably gave away the surprise

but I mean people were still thinking it was a skin line or ads for animated splashes or something until the name stuff got out. The payoff would have been a lot better had it not, and people would have seen the reveal at the end of the video and been like "oh shit, it's a champion! also he looks creepy as fuck!" and then looked at visuals and tried to guess stuff

instead we got all that after the leaked shit.

I will be less overt with my teasing going forward. fwiw, this isn't a story video or anything. it's not meant to be. it's to show you what his kills look like to him and the beauty in them, to give you a little sense of what his mind is like

I didn't expect people to think he literally shot trees into, out of, or at people
rito should stop leaking stuff then :\

but it's not really about you building too much expectation, i think this mostly suffered from scheduling since it's been like three weeks without pbe, lcs or any other cool news so all we got was this guy and now instead of revealing the champion we get even more teasing.

it's just been too long, i'm tired of guessing at literally nothing (it's all in his mind or whatever, so why bother speculating), i just wanna see the kit already

They literally created a new game mode and did the entire lore of Shurima in videos for Azir, like, did you forget? Now that's a bummer for the marketing team!
i meant the reveal, azir was like announced overnight without any sort of teasing or anything

the shurima stuff was really good, i really liked the short stories for xerath and azir specially and the video stuff was pretty alright too. the game mode was awful tho :p

zkylon

zkylewd
it's just a sensible, simple nerf

riot does a lot of those but also sometimes likes to go about things in a very confusing and overcomplicated way and so i figured congratulating them for making their first nerf of the a year a reasonable one wouldn't be terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom