• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

GHfGtZr.png
Man, we lost hardcore, but dat damage as support. Wukong was fed as hell. It didn't matter even if I could get E, R and Exhaust on him.

pretty sure it's 37.5%AD not 375%. Not 100% though. If that's the case I'm sure a full ad garen would be scary, plus the E spin can crit.

37.5% AD each spin, up to 50% against solo target.

jerd

~10% pick rate on champion.gg so far, I guess it can be different in your local elo. Only 51% winrate though. I wonder if he'll enter the meta soon.

Slated for buffs on pbe too. Almost a certainty if those go through I'd imagine, though they said the faux snare on his ult isn't likely to

zkylon

zkylewd
Ooooo a theory on reddit i really like. Remember the Bard cinematic? AS's egg may be what bard was protecting

Turrets? I destroy mountains...

that'd be cool

i kinda wish the game's narrative was a bit more straightforward and instead of teasing so much they just made flat out story

that's why i liked the bilgewater stuff so much, it's just ok "these characters' stories are moving forward this and this way"

i enjoy that way more

jerd

that'd be cool

i kinda wish the game's narrative was a bit more straightforward and instead of teasing so much they just made flat out story

that's why i liked the bilgewater stuff so much, it's just ok "these characters' stories are moving forward this and this way"

i enjoy that way more

I'd like to say they're moving more In that direction with these events but at a rate of one every 8 months to a year it'll take a while

I don't blame them and understand that it probably takes a while to get the kind of quality they want out of them but still

Also though I probably enjoy the crazy theories that sprout up surrounding the teasers way more than the teasers themselves

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hey guys, I'm trying to learn new champions and master the ones i'm playing but i'm not finding any sites or guides on the net about what i can do to get better mechanically with the champions by learning few playstyle pointers or mechanical nuances. is there a site like that? I use champion.gg for builds and stuff but it's just pure statistics. nothing with written content that's substantial. help?

jerd

It's so hard to find quality written content. If ur lucky for niche champs a really high elo otp has written a guide but even then it may be outdated and idk how you'd find it. Maybe check reddit as they often get posted there. Best I can say is YouTube for high elo streamers (I like the channel tekk personally) and hope they have good commentary. Better option is just spam them in norms, good match up or bad, until you get better, but that's time consuming and not always fun

zkylon

zkylewd
I'd like to say they're moving more In that direction with these events but at a rate of one every 8 months to a year it'll take a while

I don't blame them and understand that it probably takes a while to get the kind of quality they want out of them but still

Also though I probably enjoy the crazy theories that sprout up surrounding the teasers way more than the teasers themselves

yeah i get that, and this targon thing is not finished so can't really complain, but if someone asks me the bilgewater stuff is the template they should use for future lore stuff

like new champion, exciting new rework, new aram map and new game mode with unique items (i didn't really play it much but i loved reading about the items lol), really cool new skinline and retcons that respect the old lore and push it forward with actual events that happen like "right now"

it was awesome

Newt

You don't learn mechanics by reading up on a champion. Just play ranked games with X champion and figure it out.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think reading is pretty bad for that, yeah, but watching can be useful

like look up some players using those champions and watch their vods

you can get some useful stuff from there if you pay attention

Leezard

Hey guys, I'm trying to learn new champions and master the ones i'm playing but i'm not finding any sites or guides on the net about what i can do to get better mechanically with the champions by learning few playstyle pointers or mechanical nuances. is there a site like that? I use champion.gg for builds and stuff but it's just pure statistics. nothing with written content that's substantial. help?

There do exist some high quality guides, look at the recent guides by TSM at solomid.net. Using the Lucian guide as an example:

W: Ardent Blaze

You can W and E at the same time to cancel the W’s cast animation.

You generally want to use this when fighting, as the movespeed boost lets you chase and maneuver around skillshots.

Not too worth using to push, since it does very little damage and costs a lot of mana.

E: Relentless Pursuit

This spell is built for mobility and dodging.

You can interrupt your passive’s second attack’s animation with this spell.
So you would Q, auto, and as soon as you see the first shot go off, hit your E, and both shots will go off, but you’ll be able to get off your next auto attack faster.

In combination with your passive, its cooldown is very low, allowing you to use it multiple times to reposition and dodge spells in a teamfight.

When laning, you want to only use it if completely necessary, as it can eat up a lot of your mana you would want to spend on Q.

There's also detailed information on what to do in different matchups.

There are quite few of these, but there should exist a couple of other high quality guides on lolking and solomid.

Leezard

I forgot one thing.

You can probably find some info on https://www.reddit.com/r/summonerschool

High-ranking champion mains do AMAs on their champs occasionally and there should be a lot of threads that discuss mechanics.

pigeon

Banned
Besides playing a lot, I recommend finding a high-level streamer you like in the role you play. On the micro level you can just watch their play patterns to see how to execute stuff with the champ, and on the macro level just watch the decisions they make. I watch a decent amount of Dyrus for top lane and Aphromoo for map movement and rotation. The only problem is keeping in mind that they're kind of trolling a bunch of the time.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
You don't learn mechanics by reading up on a champion. Just play ranked games with X champion and figure it out.

If you don't know what you should be looking for then it's easier to read up on it and then learn to actually implement it into your playstyle rather than discovering it which can take foerver.

pigeon

Banned
If you don't know what you should be looking for then it's easier to read up on it and then learn to actually implement it into your playstyle rather than discovering it which can take foerver.

To be honest, almost every guide I've ever read for League was bad. Even the guides written by very strong players don't necessarily do a great job of communicating the stuff you need to know about a champion.

To start learning a champion I think you mostly need to know two things:

* What the purpose of this champion is in the game. Like, what are you good at? What's your win condition? What should you be building most of the time to do those things?
* The super basic vanilla play pattern for the champion. Almost every champion has one or two straightforward interaction patterns that they apply, which flow naturally out of their abilities, and then the rest of the game is mostly learning variations on that basic pattern.

Examples:
* Renekton's E->W->Q->E.
* Syndra's E->Q->R.
* Alistar's W->Q or Q->W.
* Caitlyn's trap->auto->Q. (Not a perfect example but I'm bad at ADCs.)

You can probably just figure out the play pattern in game but it can be nice to know it beforehand because you're going to execute it like a hundred times so you may as well learn it.

Once you know that stuff the rest is just, like, a hundred years of tiny details.

Yesterday I was supporting an ADC who must have just hopped into ranked after hitting level 30. He said he was in placement games and by the end of our 30-40 minute game he had 98 last hits. I think I would've been a lot more frustrated if he hadn't listened to me about playing safe and not trading because after we got double-killed by the enemy Lucian the lane was tear vs BF.

Here's the game:
http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/2112144592/37035443?tab=overview

If memory serves, the reason the enemy team lost that game was at least partly because they were playing it like an ARAM. They took down our mid inhib and then just kept pushing mid instead of other lanes, even though our entire team was still alive? I don't know. It seems like the enemy team builds were questionable aside from Lucian?

Edit: Now that I see it, they also didn't buy any pink wards.

TheFlow

Banned
All the champs I am good with I never watched a video of them to get better.

I find reading about a champ works better for me. I only watch actual spotlight, top 5 plays, and how to climb videos

drawkcaB

I die little by little when I see players on Reddit commenting that Nautilus jungle should max W first and then follow that up with "he's bad because he has slow clears".

Neol

Play this a lot in normals

Its pretty fun. Your basically a Yi/Xin Zhao with a shitton of CC to lock opponents down and give them no chance to counterplay.

I die little by little when I see players on Reddit commenting that Nautilus jungle should max W first and then follow that up with "he's bad because he has slow clears".

To be fair his first clear is pretty slow. Doesn't really matter though since most people play him top these days.

Top Bottom