• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm gonna be a bit more conservative with my initial impressions after feeling pretty down on jhin and growing to really like his design over the weeks

tho i still have issues with the readability on his traps, same way i did with ekko's w

Neol

I'm kinda setting my expectations low for Aurelion too.

Then again they haven't shown anything in hints of a kit so I could be surprised. I honestly just don't want to be hyped and dissapointed as with Illaoi in general and Jhin for his overall character.

I'm setting my expectations for Aurelian Sol's kit low in-so-far as it exploring his theme.

Anything less than a manaless kit will make me somewhat sad.

I like no-mana-no-problems. That's half thhe reason I wanna get Gnar.

Plus, a all powerful being shouldn't have such limits imo.

drawkcaB

Well when they introduce a champion extremely powerful lore wise, it makes it extremely hard for a champion to live up to expectations. Like Bard is supposed to be the most powerful being in Leagues, yet you wouldn't think that looking at his kit.

I think Bard works just fine. He has his little meeps, can go on fantastic voyages, can freeze time for both allies and enemies which gives him a sort of God-like "I above everyone and couldn't care less about these wee creatures" vibe. I've always seen Bard as Riot's take on a trickster god, so I think he works.

i'm gonna be a bit more conservative with my initial impressions after feeling pretty down on jhin and growing to really like his design over the weeks

tho i still have issues with the readability on his traps, same way i did with ekko's w

Jhin and Kindred are specifically the examples I was thinking of to tone down my expectations.

Jhin's kit is fine. It's just that it has mechanically nothing to do with seeking "beautiful death" or whatever his schtick happens to be. Nor is Kindred's kit bad in any sense.

It's just a case of champion visual and lore concepts far outstretching what can be with 4 keys and a passive. So a dragon that can create and the crush a star in his hand...well...

Talents

Banned
Anything less than a manaless kit will make me somewhat sad.

I like no-mana-no-problems. That's half thhe reason I wanna get Gnar.

Plus, a all powerful being shouldn't have such limits imo.

I highly doubt he will be manaless unless they introduce another unique mechanic. Manaless mages are too hard to balance imo.

drawkcaB

Assuming he's a Mage. Do we even know that for sure? I know there was talk of Ao Shin being a Mage, but it seems like a huge waste of a dragon with big ass teeth and claws to just fling spells from range.

I guess the biggest reason I have to believe he's a mage over a physical attacker of some type is that he's a star (?) dragon. Him being something of a cosmic entity makes me think he would control cosmic powers. At least, that's my opinion.

Talents

Banned
Assuming he's a Mage. Do we even know that for sure? I know there was talk of Ao Shin being a Mage, but it seems like a huge waste of a dragon with big ass teeth and claws to just fling spells from range.

Hm I swear I read somewhere that he was a mage.

pigeon

Banned
Meddler said they are definitely releasing a standard mid lane mage this year, and Ao Shin was supposed to be a standard mid lane mage, so it's not a crazy assumption. But I don't think it's been specifically promised that he is a mage.

If ASol is actually a dragon I'm kind of hoping he's the fabled champion that flies over walls, in which case I think he's much more likely to be a jungler. But that's kind of kit guessing. Since we have no idea what the deal is with him, no way to really know.

Talents

Banned
Meddler said they are definitely releasing a standard mid lane mage this year, and Ao Shin was supposed to be a standard mid lane mage, so it's not a crazy assumption. But I don't think it's been specifically promised that he is a mage.

If ASol is actually a dragon I'm kind of hoping he's the fabled champion that flies over walls, in which case I think he's much more likely to be a jungler. But that's kind of kit guessing. Since we have no idea what the deal is with him, no way to really know.

No way they would allow a champion to be able to passively fly over walls. That would be so so broken.

zkylon

zkylewd
Jhin and Kindred are specifically the examples I was thinking of to tone down my expectations.

Jhin's kit is fine. It's just that it has mechanically nothing to do with seeking "beautiful death" or whatever his schtick happens to be. Nor is Kindred's kit bad in any sense.

It's just a case of champion visual and lore concepts far outstretching what can be with 4 keys and a passive. So a dragon that can create and the crush a star in his hand...well...

honestly i think kindred's kit is just kind of terrible regardless of how it connects with her lore. very opressive and unfun to play against, really strange burst and it never really feels like you can outplay a kindred gank, she just walks to you with a lot of targeted dmg and mobility and whelp i guess i got 1/3rd of my life now... i kind of like and hate the ult tho, can be very frustrating to play against but also really satisfying to outplay as a team and it requires coordination on both ends which i appreciate. but again, she's supposed to deliver death, not prevent it, so idk

but yeah, she's supposed to be this great mystical arbiter of death envisioned by some sort of delicate/savage duality and none of that is really conveyed in the kit. it doesn't feel like two champions, it's miss kindred and her pet ghost.

jhin i've come to respect a whole lot more cos while it's not perfect he does have a certain style and flow to him that does feel pretty fancy and deliberate compared to other adcs. he's not a machinegun guy, he's got finesse and whatnot.

but yeah if i'd say "beautiful death" i'd think more of someone like ori than jhin, idk

Blizzard

Banned
In addition to mobility creep, is there a term for particles like "effects creep"? I feel like Sol is going to contribute to the problem I get in teamfights where sometimes I literally cannot tell what's going on because there's nothing but fire / light / explosions everywhere.

Nekofrog

Banned
In addition to mobility creep, is there a term for particles like "effects creep"? I feel like Sol is going to contribute to the problem I get in teamfights where sometimes I literally cannot tell what's going on because there's nothing but fire / light / explosions everywhere.

Play 1000 games of aram and you'll never have that problem again

pigeon

Banned
I like this guy a lot.

Passive damage is an interesting idea. Mid lane is already bullet hell schmup land so why not have options, right? Seems like it will make CSing somewhat complex. I also wonder how well he will actually be able to lay down damage on enemies.

Playing with W to zone people sounds like it will be fun.

I love the part where he makes a little baby star and has to feed and burp it so that it blows up the enemy.

Flying seems fun. Pretty limited, and you have to walk around a bunch to get it up, but that's probably good. Everybody loves global pressure.

If this guy builds tanky AP I will probably take him top and see what happens.

drawkcaB

^^

Coming to get you over all terrain. And they thought zac ganks were from out of nowhere.

All the tools are there, just need good base numbers. Passive damage, stun to assist in clearing camps safely, two potent forms of CC, passive damage lets him build tanky AP, mobility.

It's all there provided he isn't made of paper.

Hard

Banned
That Li Ming Q and those tiny dinosaur legs :^)

I wonder what the cooldown on the stun is, and whether the stun duration scales with distance traveled. It could be a more annoying version of Lux Q.

jerd

Tahm Kench can chow down on Aurelion Sol to become a horrific, star-wielding maniac in team fights. The Star Forger’s stars will continue orbiting him even when he’s exploring the hidden depths of the River King’s gastrointestinal system, meaning everyone’s favorite catfish-frog-thing can happily speed his way around the enemy team, using Thick Skin to absorb the enemy team’s beating while withering his targets away under repeated rounds of star-based pain.

Pretty sure this champ was made for this

Tizoc

Someone explain how Sol's E is supposed to be used?
I have no idea how this champ is supposed to work lol.

you should see his Q and E used together :)

was my only question. should be epic if you can time it right.

imaging charging a star from base, flying over terrain all the way to the dragon pit and unloading on the enemy that thought they were about to get an uncontested dragon makes me giggle a little.

you'd use it like how you use a Pantheon ult. Or like a really slow Jinx/Ashe ult. You have to get used to the travel speed of it of course, then set course based on where you expect your intended target to be, rather than where they are presently.

Question, costy: Can you cast Q while travelling in E, or do you have to Q before E?

pigeon

Banned

360px-Raccoon_Mario_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_Bros._3.png

Exactly like this.

zkylon

zkylewd
he's pretty inventive but sounds like his play pattern won't differ much from existing mages which is disappointing

waveclear with q and w, fish for cc with q, then press all buttons

his e is interesting but i fear it working on stacks that get reset on champion dmg might turn it into basically a free homeguard and not much else. depends on the tuning i guess, i can see some cool lissandra esque ganks coming from him, although he doesn't have the survivability tools to engage like lizzy does so come lategame he'll probably just be a pretty straight mage

it's not necessarily bad, and i'll probably day-1-after-a-week him but he's no azir

also his model looks good but i don't like that splash art and first impression is his design is a pretty big step down from ao shin's

Hard

Banned
Patch 6.5 notes out

Once heralded as the preeminent lane bully, Renekton’s struggled to keep up with the top tops as the seasons progress. When we last saw Renekton’s reign of anger, teams were picking him as the one champion that could reliability ‘do it all’, giving equal parts damage, defense and crowd-control to anyone that needed it. Not wanting to reinstate Renekton as the go-to top lane generalist, we’re looking at his ability to secure advantages via skirmishes and laning prowess to really drive home his identity as the early-game croc on the block.

EDIT: Oh forgot clubs. We should totally make a GAF club

Top Bottom