• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

garath

Ranked new season live now right? Share your placement woes friends.

My gold 4 finish will be a silver 5 placement. I think I'll get started on it tonight.

Edwardo

Ranked new season live now right? Share your placement woes friends.

My gold 4 finish will be a silver 5 placement. I think I'll get started on it tonight.

Ya it should be. I think I saw either 5am or 8am EST.

I'm definitely going to get some placement matches done when I get home from work.

I think i will give it a few weeks then play my placement matches, i dont want to do it on this weekend. Unless I stay up till like 2 in morning and then play, i dont see my self doing ranked.

Edwardo

I've been pretty happy with selecting fill so far. I felt like I'd be getting support most games with a few jungle games sprinkled in there, which I have no problem with. It's actually spreading them out nicely. The only role I have yet to be graced with is mid.

Godan

Have you tried since they took the draft queues down and switched to the new season? I saw a buddy was using one in his placement matches,so I think they just added that option.

Was normal draft pick about an hour ago I tried it and I didn't see anyway to change it.

Leezard

Have you tried since they took the draft queues down and switched to the new season? I saw a buddy was using one in his placement matches,so I think they just added that option.

Was normal draft pick about an hour ago I tried it and I didn't see anyway to change it.

I wonder if its possible to choose it in a custom game and use it in ranked if you have it as your last skin chosen, so that it is chosen by default.

garath

Try creating a custom blind pick game (or just playing one) and picking your chroma. Then next time to play normal draft, don't change the skin. It defaults to the last skin you picked so it should show up.

That said, it should be in next patch. It's already fixed on the pbe.

Godan

Al just wait till they patch it. Looks like ranked and normal draft have been taken down on EUW only blind pick to play from :(

So I was just on league, played 2 ranked games. Lost em both, bot lane fed so anyway, about to play the third one, we restart 3 times. We're at the stage where we declare our picks so I pick Nasus. When the timer reaches to 0 (I'm assuming I was the first person to ban a champ depending on my position), it just stays there. I didn't disconnect or nothing, afterwhile it refreshes and apparently I'm banned for half hour for not picking or banning or some shit. This pissed me off.

Talents

Banned
Well time to get back into the Legal Legends grind this season. Haven't played daily since Season 5 ended. I'm gon' get that masters this season.

kenbo

I wish they'd implement "Fill... except" logic for those who main Fill. I mean what is the point of the secondary choice when your first choice is Fill??

garath

I wish they'd implement "Fill... except" logic for those who main Fill. I mean what is the point of the secondary choice when your first choice is Fill??

Yeah. I'd like that too. I'd actually be fine filling for any of the roles except support. And that seems like the one most likely to occur from fill.

Leezard

If you really dislike one role like say support you can go something like adc/jungle the first queue and top/mid for the next queue, alternating between these two. It's pretty much the same in practice, at least.

Just let people pick as many roles as they want with a minimum of two and with the first role they choose being their primary, if someone wants to fill just pick everything.

Edwardo

There isn't a point to it because you don't need it. The whole point of filling is to play whatever your team needs.

I wouldn't have a problem if they added a fill except whatever role, but I doubt I'd use it.

kenbo

I JUST CANT JUNGLE OK

If you really dislike one role like say support you can go something like adc/jungle the first queue and top/mid for the next queue, alternating between these two. It's pretty much the same in practice, at least.

Or just pick adc/support because apparently thats what nobody wants to play

pigeon

Banned
Just don't fill. Filling used to be worthwhile because it would raise the chance that other players on your team got their stronger roles, at the cost of you being generally weaker at your role. In the new system that's basically not the case because everybody gets one of their two best roles unless they're trolling by picking mid secondary or whatever. So there's no advantage to filling any more, you'll just lose more games. Figure out what your second best role is and just queue for that.

garath

That's exactly what I've been doing. I alternate my picks each game.

Just let people pick as many roles as they want with a minimum of two and with the first role they choose being their primary, if someone wants to fill just pick everything.

I like this suggestion but then again I see the wisdom of essentially forcing people to focus on two roles. For the average Joe, that's about all you'll be able to excel at to a high degree of success. There are exceptions of course.

Either that or queue for mid so you don't have a secondary role to worry about.

Surprisingly I kept getting mid with it as my secondary choice last night. 3 out of 5 game attempts were mid to my recollection.

Edwardo

Just don't fill. Filling used to be worthwhile because it would raise the chance that other players on your team got their stronger roles, at the cost of you being generally weaker at your role. In the new system that's basically not the case because everybody gets one of their two best roles unless they're trolling by picking mid secondary or whatever. So there's no advantage to filling any more, you'll just lose more games. Figure out what your second best role is and just queue for that.

Ya that's true.

The reason I choose fill now is probably just because I enjoy playing anything.

JulianImp

Oh, all these cool new changes to ranked mean I should probably stay the heck away from it until I can actually play a second role reliably. And thus, the grind to getting to the part of the game that's supposedly fun just got even longer for me. Yay.

I guess I'll go back to playing normals and just forget about ranked altogether, since I don't think I'll end up dedicating enough time to the game to stop sucking at other positions anytime soon.

Oh, all these cool new changes to ranked mean I should probably stay the heck away from it until I can actually play a second role reliably. And thus, the grind to getting to the part of the game that's supposedly fun just got even longer for me. Yay.

I guess I'll go back to playing normals and just forget about ranked altogether, since I don't think I'll end up dedicating enough time to the game to stop sucking at other positions anytime soon.

What do you main if you dont mind me asking?

Edwardo

It didn't really change that much. It was always recommended that players should have multiple champs for multiple roles, or else you're setting your team up for disaster.

pigeon

Banned

In the old system the recommendation was not to play ranked until you had some familiarity with EVERY role, because there was at least some chance you'd have to play anything. This is better for you.

remist

I decided to try out league of legends and have had a pretty fun time playing co-op vs. AI and trying out different champions. I'm up to level 15 but I've kind of avoided PVP because the first game I tried early on was kind of a bad experience. Should I go ahead and start playing PVP even though I'm still not very good at CS'ing and haven't really picked a role to focus on? I'm finding that the intermediate bots are pretty predictable, but I feel like I might be a liability and get berated in pvp. Also any suggestion for beginner guides and resources?

JulianImp

What do you main if you dont mind me asking?

I'm part of LoLGAF, so of course I'm a support main.

It didn't really change that much. It was always recommended that players should have multiple champs for multiple roles, or else you're setting your team up for disaster.

In the old system the recommendation was not to play ranked until you had some familiarity with EVERY role, because there was at least some chance you'd have to play anything. This is better for you.

I heard that before, but at least I could often reach an arrangement with the rest of the team so that I could get support to avoid dragging my team down. The few times I was taken to top lane all I could do was make sure I didn't feed, but I didn't get fed either so in the end it was like I was cancelling both of us toplaners out, and winning the match depended on the mid and adc champions.

Seriously, expecting anyone to know all roles is kind of ludicrous. It took me a really long while to not suck as a single role, and I can't fathom the amount of time it'd take me to get good at a second role, let alone all four. It's not like back when I had lots of spare time to practice playing Smash and Team Fortress 2 anymore...

zkylon

zkylewd
phreak video on runes for 2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzaZexfALkY&feature=em-uploademail

Wait, does this mean Cass will get to kite for free? Like just click backwards then spam E on a poisoned target? Isn't that what Cass scripts do?
she still has a cast time so it's not that big of a deal, just a bit easier to play

i did but league never wins anything that's decided by community votes

gun people too stronk

I decided to try out league of legends and have had a pretty fun time playing co-op vs. AI and trying out different champions. I'm up to level 15 but I've kind of avoided PVP because the first game I tried early on was kind of a bad experience. Should I go ahead and start playing PVP even though I'm still not very good at CS'ing and haven't really picked a role to focus on? I'm finding that the intermediate bots are pretty predictable, but I feel like I might be a liability and get berated in pvp. Also any suggestion for beginner guides and resources?
I would ask for some one to help you walk through the game. We have a mumble also you can join the neogaf chat room in league.

garath

Welcome :)

When I started I just jumped right into pvp from the get go. I think I've played a total of 10 co-op vs ai in my life. It's not bad if you're matched with other new players but sometimes you get experienced players starting new accounts and they can be pretty annoying. Especially if they aren't actually that good at the game and just want to assert their dominance against totally new players.

All that said, I would suggest trying pvp again. You'll learn a lot more about the game as you level to 30. A lot of it will come together the more you play. Around level 15 there won't be much in the way of roles. Just play any of the free champs that looks fun and go with the flow.

There's some good new player resources in the OP and riot costy linked his new player experience a page or two back (on mobile or I'd find it and relink for you).

Don't be afraid to share your experiences and questions in this thread. Most of us don't bite and are always happy to help a new person along.

garath

I heard that before, but at least I could often reach an arrangement with the rest of the team so that I could get support to avoid dragging my team down. The few times I was taken to top lane all I could do was make sure I didn't feed, but I didn't get fed either so in the end it was like I was cancelling both of us toplaners out, and winning the match depended on the mid and adc champions.

Seriously, expecting anyone to know all roles is kind of ludicrous. It took me a really long while to not suck as a single role, and I can't fathom the amount of time it'd take me to get good at a second role, let alone all four. It's not like back when I had lots of spare time to practice playing Smash and Team Fortress 2 anymore...

Adc might be a good second role to work on. You'll already understand the bot dynamic and it might make you a better support players as you'll get to experience your role from the other side.

Chances are with support you'd get your first choice all the time anyways so it won't be a huge deal.

When i started playing league I played with my friends whos acounts where gold or above. And because just got gud quick, because i was playing against 30s and learned quickly. I play co-op vs ai to test people sometimes, but that is pretty rare.

OK so support is basically the role that teaches you a lot of basics so its actually a really good place to start since it requires good basic gameplay skills and teaches the importance of itemisation. The only new skills you need to learn to be competent in a solo lane are CSing and duelling. Jungling requires a lot more technical knowledge but is generally easier than laning.
Best way to learn to CS is to open a custom game and just farm. Each champ has different ease of farming. For example, Mid laners without wave clearing or farming spells will have trouble last hitting with autos. Your best option is to pick a character you want to lane with and learn them inside out. Farming is really hard if you dont have the feel for the characters last hitting ability. If you can get 4/6 minions per wave you're probably good to start laning against actual people. After that it's just practise. Learn about how to ward solo lanes, read up on wave manipulation and zoning. Its really not that hard when you do a bit of research. Give it a week or two and you'll be fine.

The biggest advice I can give is to learn the champion, not the lane.

Top Bottom