• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

zkylon

zkylewd
how much longer would champion select be, anyways?

like if they averaged it, cos i bet it's not that many that would use the full 40s and wouldn't lock in before it

Nekofrog

Banned
as much as i hate it, it's pretty forgivable for people to forget to lock in and thus dodge accidentally in the first couple of weeks with the new champ select. for some people it's 5+ years of a habit of not locking in and using the time to do something. you don't just break that overnight

kenbo

Maybe they should remove the lock in button and selecting a champion will automatically lock it in

less dodges, more unhappy individuals
for a few weeks anyway.

I think this is a good solution TBH. It hurts only a single person

pigeon

Banned
how much longer would champion select be, anyways?

like if they averaged it, cos i bet it's not that many that would use the full 40s and wouldn't lock in before it

It's such a disruptive change I have to assume they tested it out as a huge benefit, because I can't imagine them doing it to shave half a second. Lyte posted at one point saying that they found it sped up champ select by a lot, but I can't find the post.

qLvsf05.png

wth is wrong with some gaffers. legit 4v5 since minute 0, purposeful afk. this is why lolgaf is toxic.

finally won a game with other gaffers.

jerd

I was in a lobby today that was about 3 minutes. Everyone knew everyone else's pick bc of the pick intent so comp was np and it was pretty much 10 sec or less per pick across the board. If that's the future once everyone figures it out I'm all for it.

Maybe they should remove the lock in button and selecting a champion will automatically lock it in

for a few weeks anyway.

Sometimes I click on the wrong champion. I wouldn't be able to change it.

What if once you select a champion the lock in button glows or something.

Hard

Banned
The dodges will be annoying for the first few weeks or maybe even a month, but people will get used to it. The dodge penalty ensures that. What I wish they'd do is have the client ALT-TAB to the front of your screen every time:

- It's your turn to pick
- It's your turn to ban
- Your champ preference has been banned or picked

and add reporting in champ select. I don't negotiate with elo-terrorists.

I was in a lobby today that was about 3 minutes. Everyone knew everyone else's pick bc of the pick intent so comp was np and it was pretty much 10 sec or less per pick across the board. If that's the future once everyone figures it out I'm all for it.

Pick intent can go so many ways. You can troll with like teemo and either people fight or somone just ban it and wasted a ban.

Or you can be serious and intent something like XXX (Feast or famine champion) teamates ban it because they don't want the risk and there goes your best champion.

Or you can intent a champion but it doesnt fit the comp and now everyone chimes in with their two cent.

Last few games i haven't intent anything and working out well.

It's getting to the point all my solo-Q games are turning into premade-5s though because so many dodges everyone basically havd nothing to do but shoot the shit for 20 minutes lol.

Edwardo

I feel like I need to actually make some mastery pages now. I always just did it in champ select, but sometimes I don't have the time.

Hard

Banned
Pick intent can go so many ways. You can troll with like teemo and either people fight or somone just ban it and wasted a ban.

Or you can be serious and intent something like XXX (Feast or famine champion) teamates ban it because they don't want the risk and there goes your best champion.

Or you can intent a champion but it doesnt fit the comp and now everyone chimes in with their two cent.

Last few games i haven't intent anything and working out well.

It's getting to the point all my solo-Q games are turning into premade-5s though because so many dodges everyone basically havd nothing to do but shoot the shit for 20 minutes lol.

If you pick Teemo or Jhin, I'm banning that shit.

zkylon

zkylewd
as much as i hate it, it's pretty forgivable for people to forget to lock in and thus dodge accidentally in the first couple of weeks with the new champ select. for some people it's 5+ years of a habit of not locking in and using the time to do something. you don't just break that overnight

yeah pretty much

for a few weeks anyway.

why remove the lock-in button? u should be able to change champions and troll the enemy team and all that. imagine if lcs now can't like hover teemo or anivia for froggen or mindgame the other team or whatever

it should just lock u in on the champion you're hovering when the time runs out. if u want ppl to pay attention make pick intent not auto select that champion when it's your turn or something

It's such a disruptive change I have to assume they tested it out as a huge benefit, because I can't imagine them doing it to shave half a second. Lyte posted at one point saying that they found it sped up champ select by a lot, but I can't find the post.
i dunno, lyte's data has been a bit suspect over the years lol

pigeon

Banned
If you pick Teemo or Jhin, I'm banning that shit.

Why not just dodge rather than troll your teammate? Do you think they will play better and do more to win the game after you deliberately fuck with them before it even starts?

kenbo

yeah pretty much

why remove the lock-in button? u should be able to change champions and troll the enemy team and all that. imagine if lcs now can't like hover teemo or anivia for froggen or mindgame the other team or whatever

it should just lock u in on the champion you're hovering when the time runs out. if u want ppl to pay attention make pick intent not auto select that champion when it's your turn or something

Well the idea is that if you fundamentally change how something works it should look fundamentally different

zkylon

zkylewd
i usually don't like the rito penguin concepts cos they're like kind of too dark but this one was pretty good

ElderwoodKarthus.jpg

Well the idea is that if you fundamentally change how something works it should look fundamentally different
i mean, idk, the current dodge problem is something that's gonna be eventually almost entirely a non-issue, but there's still gona be cases of promos losts because someone forgot about it and what's really there to be gained?

i can't imagine a future where everyone's too lazy to lock-in because they don't have the dodge pressure so they always let the time run out.

maybe for a short while, maybe until rito applies some qol changes (maybe u should be able to doubleclick on a champion to lock them in), but i don't think having that time pressure is even good for the game, why add more stress when you're doing so good taking stress out

specially since it's this disruptive to a community of ppl like us that hey, i'm more than 3 years into this game and i'm gonna accidentally dodge a fuckton of games

zkylon

zkylewd
rito lyte on ranked 5s:
Going to expand on the points a little bit while waiting for food.

It's been a crazy week. Back in March-April 2015 when we first started planning the new Champ Select project, Dynamic Queues and new matchmaker, it was a massive project that included future plans for Ranked Teams, Clubs and Parties too.

In fact, since 2014, we've been working with eSports around the world to shift the Challenger Series/promos off the Ranked Teams System because the queue times and match quality were unacceptable for a significant chunk of players, and Ranked Teams had basically no players in most regions so the system wasn't doing a great job surfacing the next generation of TSMs and CLGs. In some regions, you could go entire days without a single game of Ranked Teams being played on the entire server and when matches were made, there were too many 15 minute stomps. We're not even joking, games would end before teams could surrender. This sucked for players.

We're not quite ready yet to talk about Ranked Teams and what they will become or share more details about Clubs and Parties; however, we didn't want to start another season of the old system of Ranked Teams in 2016 just to massively change it or stop it randomly in 2016 especially when we know it's a really, really rough experience for players around the world and we believe that Dynamic Queues just existing will hurt the Ranked Teams experience even more.

We do love the ability for players to play with friends of disparate skill levels and try their hand at something a bit more competitive, and we're going to let you do this in 2016. Our transition period just may not look the same as the old Ranked Teams system because we thought it was inherently flawed and had too high of a barrier of entry, bad average queue times and horrible match quality. Stay tuned--Socrates, Mirross and the Competitive Teams will have more details.

i think this is pretty dumb

i like ranked 5s a whole lot and we usually find games in less than a minute. sometimes they're stomps, sometimes they're not, but if u find a good game, coordinating with your friends and executing a team comp that takes advantage of everyone's skills and whatnot is like the best league's got to offer

i'm not in a big region, we don't even have draft normals ffs, so i have no idea what he's talking about a single game not being played in a day. where is that, even?

and breeding a new generation of tsm and clgs (lol), why should that be my problem. there's no reason whatsoever why you should remove ranked 5s if you want to change the challenger circuit, i don't get it

there's gonna be something better, eventually, but who knows how long it'll take and this reasoning is bullshit

Fracas

#fuckonami
I really, really like dynamic queue. I get my role in just about every game against people of my own skill level. Since everyone's on their main/comfortable roles, toxicity isn't as prevalent. The declared champions aspect makes complementing each other's picks easier. Taking 2/3/4 friends in just makes it even better. I'm guessing this isn't really the case in high elo but down in silver land, it's made the game a lot more enjoyable.

I guess I understand the incoming solo queue, but I feel dynamic queue could be refined enough to where extra queues wouldn't be necessary. Not sure how though.

jerd

Damn those shen splashes. Within the past couple of years most splashes went from being pretty forgettable to generally amazing

I really hope shen clears fast enough to be able to jungle but i dont have high hopes

Halogaf was like Sauron always watching in that thread so...

Unsurprising giving the amount of trouble that halogaf gave to mods for whatever reason. But hey, at least you got Ghaleon.

I don't know what is happening to lolesports in mobile. I have weeks that I can't log in there when in mobile. It sucks.

Also Riot Redbeard is now chairman of LCS, whatever that means. Adviser?

Dear lord, is anyone else having to wait 30 mins in champion select to get a game going? Last two days have been awful. It keeps rotating between the three, supports, jungle and adc.

Last game I had a support team lead kick a Yorick toplane because it wasn't in meta. I cry for humanity some times.

jerd

Riot Repertoire said:
It's not exactly what you're asking for, but I put in some changes to Cass this last week that should make her no longer cancel her Movement or Attack orders when casting Twin Fang.

Wait, does this mean Cass will get to kite for free? Like just click backwards then spam E on a poisoned target? Isn't that what Cass scripts do?

Skux

I'm enjoying the new queue. All the improvements have been suggested so I'll just say it's nice to go ADC when the other person actually wants to support.

jerd

Lets say your a support main, if u are boosted to challanger, there is small chance that u will never go lowered then master. Support just get carried to be fair (in this meta) so as long as they dont play super mechanical champs they can stay up there quite easily

I knew there was a reason i still read reddit comments on occasion

Bollocks

So with never having played a MOBA I installed the game yesterday, don't know all the ins and outs yet but I can already sense the appeal :)

subtles

I never understood why players who argue that a role or champion is easy to climb with never play with said champion/role. I remember a Cho'gath I killed at level 2 (and then again at level 3) last season All Chatting the entire game about how easy Annie is and how he would never play a noob champ. :/

Leezard

I never understood why players who argue that a role or champion is easy to climb with never play with said champion/role. I remember a Cho'gath I killed at level 2 (and then again at level 3) last season All Chatting the entire game about how easy Annie is and how he would never play a noob champ. :/

I would bet most of the times it's just salt, but sometimes it might actually be because they detest the champion itself and find it boring.

I would never be able to stomach playing Soraka all the time even if she had a 60% win rate, for example.

People who play Soraka are horrible human beings

Don't be fooled by their desire to "heal" dying people, that's what necromancers do

garath

Wait, does this mean Cass will get to kite for free? Like just click backwards then spam E on a poisoned target? Isn't that what Cass scripts do?

Um. Holy shit. Cassio is going to be t1 now. She does insane amounts of damage and if she lands her Q, the move speed boost she gets will make her a kiting godess with that change.

jerd

So with never having played a MOBA I installed the game yesterday, don't know all the ins and outs yet but I can already sense the appeal :)

Please join the neogaf chat channel and feel free to ask us anything at all here or there! We've all been where you are and we know it's a whole lot to take in

Godan

So i have a chroma set for lee sin but how do i pick from them in the new champ select?

Can't seem to find the option for them.

Top Bottom